Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

TrollandToad.com

Old May 1st, 2017 (3:11 PM).

What would you think of a Pokemon fan game that would have nearly 200 Fakemon within it?

Wouldn't it be an interesting new adventure?

Relevant Advertising!

Old May 1st, 2017 (5:10 PM).
    • Platinum Tier
    • PokéCommunity Daily
    • Discord Moderoid
    • Developer

Nature: Quirky
    fakemon are a bit of a mixed bag with most people I think, probably because a lot of them are poorly designed and ugly, and some people don't enjoy starting a game and having to learn every single Pokémon anew. if you could pull it off with high-quality and varied fakemon, and make sure public documentation exists so people who wanted to look up their info/movesets when planning teams could do so, I think that would definitely be an interesting new adventure!
    Old May 1st, 2017 (6:27 PM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
      fakemon are a bit of a mixed bag with most people I think, probably because a lot of them are poorly designed and ugly, and some people don't enjoy starting a game and having to learn every single Pokémon anew. if you could pull it off with high-quality and varied fakemon, and make sure public documentation exists so people who wanted to look up their info/movesets when planning teams could do so, I think that would definitely be an interesting new adventure!
      Possibly so, I could try that.
      Old May 8th, 2017 (5:21 PM).

I LOVE fake pokemons... and i love the mysterious nature that comes with it... but if the quality of the sprites are muk... No one would really be a fan...
        Old May 9th, 2017 (10:08 AM).
        Not Bored

Nature: Bashful
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by shbshb906 View Post
        I LOVE fake pokemons... and i love the mysterious nature that comes with it... but if the quality of the sprites are ****... No one would really be a fan...
        That doesn't have to be true, I personally care about the lore almost as much as I do about the sprite. But if they're really really bad, maybe not.
        Old June 8th, 2017 (11:12 PM).
        Often lost in thought

Nature: Modest
          I love me some good Fakemon. Even better if they have well thought-out abilities, move pools, lore, etc. But, I'm also quite picky about their design. I've only seen a handful that I've genuinely liked (and this comes from scouring DeviantArt and Google images while creating my own). Most are simply too complicated: too many colors, spikes, etc. They give the trying-too-hard vibe. With the exception of Megas (because they're Mega), Pokemon are pretty simple with surprisingly muted colors; most only have 3-4 base colors. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who likes Fakemon that "look like legit Pokemon". So, if all 200 fit the bill, I say go all out.
          Old June 9th, 2017 (8:16 AM).
          Audino master

I'm always pumped up to play games with Fakemon, but drop them pretty quickly, because I'm either lazy to learn and try all possible combinations OR Fakemon are really badly created... But I always wanted to make my own.
          Old August 14th, 2017 (3:13 AM).

Nature: Serious
            i am always in favor of the idea of Fakemon (or Fanmon) in a Fan Game, more the merrier, just make sure that there is plenty of substance and they are not too OP, at least not without a heavy use of Items/TMs.

long as you work hard on your creations, i will always support the notion, as i am planning to add 151 to my fan game, along with all the other previous Pokemon, which can be obtained in more ways than simply Catching them.
            Old August 16th, 2017 (10:01 AM).

I'm a big fan of Fakemon for games that draw from Pokemon but arent Pokemon branded. I would love to meet more artists who create Fakemon.
              Old September 1st, 2017 (7:56 AM).
              aerial silks angel

Nature: Naive
                my team's game exists entirely a fakemon but allso we make our own types an evrything to alltho we've limited types an moves ta learn ta make it easier ta jump rite into. it has ruffly half tha 'types' tha original pokemon games came with but will share some similarities as well as new concepts. alltho after comin across this thread i'm worried bout how that will be received. seems like people rather play "same game with new coat a paint" than sumthin with a bit more creative effort put inta it.

but i'm willin ta take tha risks ahahahh. i like originality. so yeah i'd like a game with tons a fakemon probably better than sumone rehashing tha same ol same old.
                Old September 3rd, 2017 (5:29 AM). Edited September 3rd, 2017 by Sabrewulf238.

Nature: Jolly
                  I like games that have fakemon in them. Pokemon Ethereal Gates is one that comes to mind. (I think Pokemon Sage is another one?) The problem is that they're pretty rare and it's rarer still to find one that puts the time into designing the fakemon, giving them personality and developing the lore behind them.

I think the problem is that I usually get the impression that somebody wanted to make a game and THEN decided to make fakemon. (and the fakemon then end up coming across as half baked or rushed design wise) Personally I'd prefer if somebody focused on designing the fakemon and the lore first and THEN decided to make the game.
                  Old September 6th, 2017 (5:34 AM).

I enjoy some fakemon games, if they're designed well. the problem is, some people who creat fakemon can't really draw, so all the fakemon are a ball with eyes / leaf with eyes, etc. that's a bad game. secondly: I don't feel like I'm playing a pokemon game, if ALL the pokemon are fake, and the region and characters are all new. throw some real pokemon in there, and some returning pokemon characters.
                    Old September 9th, 2017 (5:55 AM).

I think it relies on implementation and execution. Fakemon are cool but, if the lore is bad or the sprite is horrid then they become eyesores. Another thing is the region does it all make sense together? How does it look? How does it feel? It all just depends on a variety of variables.

Quick Reply