• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] The Pokémon Essentials Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years

Poccil's starter kit for RPG Maker XP - "Pokemon Essentials" - is very popular amongst people who want to create their own Pokémon game. However, the documentation that exists for it can be difficult to read, incomplete and even out of date. That's where the wiki comes in.

The Pokémon Essentials Wiki is exactly what it sounds like - a wiki that contains all available information about Pokémon Essentials, taken not only from poccil's notes but also from the many users of the kit. And the best part is that it's dynamic - anyone can add their own advice or suggestions, and the wiki can grow because of this.

There are two main parts to the wiki: articles and tutorials. Articles explain how various aspects of Essentials works, and tutorials are user-written guides on how to do various other things.

Updates

Over the last few months I have gone through every page on the wiki, updating and streamlining them so that they have a consistent style and are easy to read. Now, finally, I have finished this work. This is what I have done:

• All existing articles have been rewritten to make them clearer and more consistent.
  • All incomplete articles have been labelled as such. The missing parts of an article have been listed in that article's talk page, to help editors figure out what to add.
  • Article talk pages in general can be used to suggest anything people want to see added to those articles.
  • A new tutorial section has been created. Tutorials are now linked to from all related articles.
  • A list of ideas for tutorials has been compiled.

What you can do

Even though big improvements have been made to the wiki, including making it easier for people to contribute to it, there are still things that need to be done. Here is how you can help:

• Complete incomplete articles.
  • Create missing articles, even if all you do is list what needs to be done.
  • Find information in poccil's notes that isn't currently mentioned in the wiki, and add it in.
  • Write tutorials, and add tutorials you've already written to it.
  • Add to the article "To Do" lists, by either adding in new points or expanding on existing ones, to help others add that information later.
  • Suggest how the wiki in general can be improved.
  • Advertise the wiki to others!
I may have started the wiki, but it's up to you to keep it going. Any contribution you can make is welcome.

Previous thread: Pokémon Essentials Wiki

Last edited:

Invokez

Formerly Known as SytheXP
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2011
I have seen it about while searching on google. I will contribute soon when I am not tired and actually feel up to reproducing particular events and what not. Good idea though helping one another through this :D

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Keep an eye in Essentials main topic! They had very usefull things that doesn't has in wikia like PokemonTriad buy bug fix.
I try to edit the wikia, but I isn't very good with this.

Maruno

Years
So we've got the main articles (general information about Essentials), and a section for tutorials (for custom scripts, etc.). What else do you want?

There are two other things that could be incorporated into the wiki: games and resources.

For games, each one would have a few pages for various bits of information about that game. Off the top of my head, this would include a title page which basically advertises it (and has download links if appropriate), an in-depth features list, and a walkthrough page or so. It would be so much easier to read the information there than trawl through a thread looking for "dev comments", and you can make it look very nice too. On the other hand, if we let just anyone make a set of pages for their half-baked ideas, we'd be overrun by them. Is the wiki even a suitable place for these projects?

For resources, there is a tricky line here between the genuine resources (e.g. drastic kit modifications, standalone updated PBS files/script files) and the not-so-genuine ones (e.g. a charset, perhaps tilesets also count). Where would the line be drawn? What would be allowed, and what wouldn't?

What do you think? Would you like to see either of these sections, or perhaps even something else? Please share your thoughts.

ChaosLord

Game Dev Wanderer
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 1, 2013
Did you make a page for Vs Sprites yet? I have VS sprites but have no idea to activate it.I remember seeing someone on here telling how to activate it but I forgot where.

Maruno

Years
Did you make a page for Vs Sprites yet? I have VS sprites but have no idea to activate it.I remember seeing someone on here telling how to activate it but I forgot where.
Those aren't part of Essentials. I do recall a tutorial someone made a while ago on how to add them in. I don't think it would be too difficult, though - just show the banner picture for a couple of seconds using an event command.

Maruno

Years
The wiki now contains a solution to the double battles bug, where not all battlers could do something. The fix is on the Battles page (credit to me please).

It's quite amusing to see that this bug, like so many problems, is caused by money. It's also interesting that it's such a simple fix, too.

TheMarkCrafter

roses are red, violets are blue, i used to break r
Years
Wow, That wiki will be helpful for the beginners!

Catch me up, at the wiki, my name is Catscratch Wiki!

Maruno

Years
Speaking of bug fixes, I have another one people wanted: the bug where levelling up and move learning didn't work properly for non-battlers in battles.

The solution is on the wiki Battles page, and once again it is very simple.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
So we've got the main articles (general information about Essentials), and a section for tutorials (for custom scripts, etc.). What else do you want?

There are two other things that could be incorporated into the wiki: games and resources.

For games, each one would have a few pages for various bits of information about that game. Off the top of my head, this would include a title page which basically advertises it (and has download links if appropriate), an in-depth features list, and a walkthrough page or so. It would be so much easier to read the information there than trawl through a thread looking for "dev comments", and you can make it look very nice too. On the other hand, if we let just anyone make a set of pages for their half-baked ideas, we'd be overrun by them. Is the wiki even a suitable place for these projects?

For resources, there is a tricky line here between the genuine resources (e.g. drastic kit modifications, standalone updated PBS files/script files) and the not-so-genuine ones (e.g. a charset, perhaps tilesets also count). Where would the line be drawn? What would be allowed, and what wouldn't?

What do you think? Would you like to see either of these sections, or perhaps even something else? Please share your thoughts.
I like to see both, but in future. There lots of thing to do in this wiki before expand to these things.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
This has actually been incredibly useful to me. But I would certainly like to see a resource page. You could even link to resources posted on PC and other various sites though I think. I will consider contributing to it in the future also, with the knowledge I have, as soon as I have a bit of time. But between now and then, keep up the good work.

I think you should also add a link to poccil's website on the main page. I feel he would appreciate that. Have you thought about adding a separate link to the notes document also? That might come in handy.

Maruno

Years
What kinds of resources, though? There's all kinds, from modified kits (e.g. DS version, I forget what it's called) to tilesets to sprites to music packs to PBS files, and so on. Most of those I would consider too minor to warrant inclusion in the wiki, especially when that kind of thing would also be available in other places anyway (e.g. The Spriters Resource). I don't want to be seen as having the last word on everything just because I started the wiki; I'm just voicing my opinion here.

Another idea I had for the wiki is to have it produce its own version of Essentials (or possibly even take over the main kit itself from poccil), allowing all kinds of contributions from everyone and resulting in a product the fans actually want (within reason). That would be a big project to undertake, not only in the modification itself but also in coordination and spec design, but I think it would be interesting and worthwhile. It'd also mean there'd be no need for a resources section, as they could be included directly in the kit.

EDIT: The wiki now has a page that lists all fangames made with Essentials. For tidiness, only games that have some form of download (demo/completed game) are listed. I'm sure the list is incomplete, and descriptions are missing for each game (which the creators should write).

I think the list needs to be improved, to display all the information people want to know about each game at a glance, but I don't know what that information would be. There is a discussion about this on that page's discussion page. I look forward to your comments.

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Another idea I had for the wiki is to have it produce its own version of Essentials (or possibly even take over the main kit itself from poccil), allowing all kinds of contributions from everyone and resulting in a product the fans actually want (within reason). That would be a big project to undertake, not only in the modification itself but also in coordination and spec design, but I think it would be interesting and worthwhile. It'd also mean there'd be no need for a resources section, as they could be included directly in the kit.
This have a set of good point and bad points too. We can remove all bugs and easily add new scripts, but this may cause that other people kits like the Venom12 goes on separate paths that can hinders some tips of script mods and helps.
I think that the better thing is to talk with Poccil about this. I thinks that he also could easily fix some bugs like day/night and lag.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I think fixing the major bugs such as lag would be a better project to undertake as opposed to adding to the kit, then we could worry about putting the things in that we don't already have.

Maruno

Years
This have a set of good point and bad points too. We can remove all bugs and easily add new scripts, but this may cause that other people kits like the Venom12 goes on separate paths that can hinders some tips of script mods and helps.
I think that the better thing is to talk with Poccil about this. I thinks that he also could easily fix some bugs like day/night and lag.
Frankly, if poccil updates his kit, the modded kits will be branched off anyway. I don't think that's a reason against updating Essentials some more (whoever does so).

Essentials would be based at the wiki, meaning everything there would support it (and there's over 100 pages now, not including tutorials). I think at least some modded versions and custom scripts would become obsolete (or merged into Essentials) anyway, so there's not much to worry about. The best part is that everyone can contribute not only to Essentials itself, but also find any mistakes or outdated information on the wiki and fix it.

I sent poccil a message about a month ago, outlining this proposal, and haven't heard anything back yet. I'm certain he could fix the bugs himself, and he's still welcome to contribute even after he hands the keys over. I just think there would be more progress if others could contribute too. And really, it's more convenient to have a fixed kit available as opposed to an old kit plus a list of bug fixes and custom scripts to implement.

I don't want to simply start another modded version of Essentials for the wiki, because no one would be interested since it wouldn't be "official". The wiki wouldn't be able to support it either (for the same reason it doesn't support the DS kit, etc.), which is paradoxical. It would just result in me being lumbered with the modded kit, and I don't want that. I would prefer to have poccil's blessing and the "official" kit to work with, because people would get behind that.

I think fixing the major bugs such as lag would be a better project to undertake as opposed to adding to the kit, then we could worry about putting the things in that we don't already have.
The problem with the lag thing in particular is that I don't get it (my computer's too good), so I can't test fixes. People don't really provide good information about the kind of lag they get, and they certainly never contribute example maps/games for others to look at (which would be most useful). I can only vaguely guess at the cause(s) of the lag, which isn't good enough.

Many other bugs have been fixed, and their solutions are available on the wiki. If you have a bug that hasn't been fixed, let us know!

The first stage of taking over Essentials would be bug fixing. This would involve getting as many people as possible to find errors and complain about them, which people seem to like doing. It would also get them into the swing of contributing, which helps.

Looks good, I think I'm going to contribute too :)
Shiny. I look forward to seeing your contributions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back