• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 5 - 28th January 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Pokémon Essentials, version 5 - 28th January 2012
Download

It's another new version of Essentials!

So what's new?

Going places

• The Town Map now features an icon of the player's head to show where you are, and flashing icons to show where you can Fly to. While diving, you can now hop over to another underwater map and keep on diving by using a special method. And if you're going nowhere (i.e. walking into a wall), you'll hear a proper bump rather than a nasty sound.
Phone

• Significant improvements here, not least of which is that trainers can now actually be rebattled (strange that it wasn't noticed before). NPCs can also be registered now, and their messages go in common events - talk to Professor Oak after receiving a starter for an example.
Roaming Pokémon

• Entei in the ocean? Latias in a Bug-Catching Contest? Not any more! The encounter methods available to each roamer can now be set. The current options are "any grass-based encounter" (except Bug Contests), "surfing only", and "all of the above". If you can think of any more, say so!
More graphics

• Someone once said they wanted more than two doors to choose from. So here you go: all the doors I could find from FRLG are now included. There are also updated water-related autotiles, and even a fountain autotile! I ripped all those graphics myself. Also, Shaymin's Sky Forme now speaks for itself, as it now has a cry of its own.
MySQL support

• It's in, although I don't know how to work it. I'm pretty sure it will allow for at least an online trade station, though, which people seem to like the sound of. If you can make something of it, please let me know.
Bug fixes

• A variety of fixes as usual. Highlights include a Pokédex that now works wherever you are in the Pokéworld, the aforementioned ability to actually battle trainers registered in your phone, forbidding eggs from using Cut and other moves out of battle, and sprite reflections no longer being dragged around by the top of the screen. There are plenty of other fixes too.
And more...

• I've not mentioned everything that's new, just the things I thought were most noteworthy. As usual, a full list of what's happened in this release can be found on the wiki's Download page.

The next release will come in a few months, because it will be about the resizing of the screen from 480x320 (GBA size) to 512x384 (DS size), and tweaking everything that breaks because of it. It's a big task, but worth it.

This thread is only for discussion about this release.

xdanx

But you can call me Dan :)
Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2012
It's so fun, I was just looking at the wiki and read "Current version: 28th January 2012", which actually wasn't here in the forums while I was checking them.

Anyway, there are a few interesting changes on this one :D goin' to check it right now

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
Years
This one has some interesting changes, gonna try to update to it. :3

Edit: There, done xD

Last edited:

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
It's looking good! I'll keep playing around with it and see if I find any new problems.

I also gotta say, I love the new starting team too, it's much better set up for testing, and is better as an actual team.

I'm working on assembling the Generation IV sprites for you still, but I'm close to done, so expect to see them in a few days after I've tested them out and everything.

EDIT: I found a bug. I am fighting Camper Andrew in Harsh Sunlight, and his Delcatty can't attack. It says:
"Delcatty used Doubleslap!"
"The sunlight is strong!"

The only things that happened in the battle before I noticed it was I had Pikachu use double team twice(Possibly three times).
EDIT2: Further investigation shows that it's not the weather or Double Team at fault; Double Slap simply does not work.

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
It's looking good! I'll keep playing around with it and see if I find any new problems.

I also gotta say, I love the new starting team too, it's much better set up for testing, and is better as an actual team.

I'm working on assembling the Generation IV sprites for you still, but I'm close to done, so expect to see them in a few days after I've tested them out and everything.

EDIT: I found a bug. I am fighting Camper Andrew in Harsh Sunlight, and his Delcatty can't attack. It says:
"Delcatty used Doubleslap!"
"The sunlight is strong!"

The only things that happened in the battle before I noticed it was I had Pikachu use double team twice(Possibly three times).
EDIT2: Further investigation shows that it's not the weather or Double Team at fault; Double Slap simply does not work.
It was the check for whether the attacker has the ability Skill Link that was the problem - "attacker" wasn't defined, so it throws a wobbly.

In PokeBattle_MoveEffects, amend the function code 0C0 as follows:

Code:
class PokeBattle_Move_0C0 < PokeBattle_Move
  def pbOnStartUse(attacker)
    @skilllink=isConst?(attacker.ability,PBAbilities,:SKILLLINK)
    return true
  end

def pbNumHits
    hitchances=[2,2,2,
                4,5]
    hits=hitchances[@battle.pbRandom(8)]
    hits=5 if @skilllink
    return hits
  end

def pbIsMultiHit
    return true
  end
end
EDIT: I have now replaced the downloads with the same version plus this fix. If you've already downloaded it, just do what I said above and you won't need to download it again.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2013
Unfortunately, I get an error whenever I try to load the new version.

Script 'SpriteResizer' line 149: NoMethodError occurred.
undefined method '*' for nil:NilClass

But it seems no one else gets this error?

By the way, it's a fresh unpack, no other files are mingled in it.

Maruno

Years
Well, I don't get that error, at least. Can you provide the full error message, as well as information about what OS you're using?

Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2013
Unfortunately, that IS the full error message :P

My OS is Windows 7 64-bit.

However, I've already found the cause. In my C:\Users\<Name>\Saved Games\ folder, there was a file called Game.rxdata. Deleting that made it work again.

And now, I'll look if deleting that file has changed anything about my game :P

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
Unfortunately, that IS the full error message :P

My OS is Windows 7 64-bit.

However, I've already found the cause. In my C:\Users\<Name>\Saved Games\ folder, there was a file called Game.rxdata. Deleting that made it work again.

And now, I'll look if deleting that file has changed anything about my game :P

Ah, that's because you were using a save file from an older version.

I make a new save with each new release of essentials, because bugs like what you had can happen when transferring saves between versions.

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Great relase, i have hope someone will know how to set up mysql and get trade online :D

Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2012
Complete noob here, how do I move my project on v4 to v5 without restarting it?

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Why is the !pbHasEligible?(3,100) command, coming up with an error saying something about doublebattles?

Spoiler:

Maruno

Years
Complete noob here, how do I move my project on v4 to v5 without restarting it?
Find any changes you've made to an older version (you will of course have made notes on what you've changed), and apply them to a fresh copy of the latest version.

Why is the !pbHasEligible?(3,100) command, coming up with an error saying something about doublebattles?

Spoiler:
You helpfully didn't say you were trying to enter a Battle Tower or Battle thingy tournament when you got this error. I have never touched any of the Battle thingy scripts, and I tried entering the Battle Tower just now and there was no problem anyway. Must be something you've done. Unless, that is, you have any more information to share (in which case it's still a problem that's always been there).

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Well, Before, I used the, "!pbHasEligible?" and "!pbEntryScreen" for a few battles, checking through my game I came across these battles, and now they no longer work...

So, I checked through the events within your essentials kit, and the battle tower event used in that, I copied one of the scripts within the event:

Code:
pbBattleChallenge.set(
"towersingle",1,
pbBattleTowerRules(false,false))

It gives me no error, allows me to select 3 Pokémon, which is obviously the battle tower rules, and when the battle continued, the 3 selected Pokémon I picked, wern't even saved, I could still use my whole 6... Although that is probably because I didn't make the battle and overall battle tower battle (using pbbattletower.start... or whatever it was.)

My problem is that the !pbHasEligible used to work now it doesn't... If you haven't messed with it, could there be a script clashing or something?

Maruno

Years
I don't know how the battle rules work, and I can't think of anything I've done that could have introduced a problem. When did it last work, and when did it break?

It's not difficult to write a quick def that'll do the checks you want, you know. There's no need to copy part of a different battle system (a dodgy idea at best).

As for the Battle Tower and other Battle Whatever things, I don't care for them. If there are problems with them, don't expect me to try to fix them. Someone else can.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Yeah I started writing a new script that checked wether I wanted certain aspects to the battle itself (gender, type etc.) But put that on hold, for the time being as gender is still part of the TrainerID still, right?

But, this worked before I updated to the 24th December Essentials, Then I updated all my maps to new tiles, and just tried my game out and then this error pops up, If I use the older Essentials, it's fine... As far as I'm aware, it stopped working today, because I was yet to test from 24th December, until now...

I don't actually care for the Battletower and Battlepalace either, just found a use for the "eligible" conditional branch... Is there another way to get this effect, or am I looking to code something in?

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2017
"While diving, you can now hop over to another underwater map and keep on diving by using a special method."

example pls

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
Yeah I started writing a new script that checked wether I wanted certain aspects to the battle itself (gender, type etc.) But put that on hold, for the time being as gender is still part of the TrainerID still, right?

But, this worked before I updated to the 24th December Essentials, Then I updated all my maps to new tiles, and just tried my game out and then this error pops up, If I use the older Essentials, it's fine... As far as I'm aware, it stopped working today, because I was yet to test from 24th December, until now...

I don't actually care for the Battletower and Battlepalace either, just found a use for the "eligible" conditional branch... Is there another way to get this effect, or am I looking to code something in?
You can still look up what a Pokémon's gender is, even if it is defined by a calculation using the personal ID.

"The older Essentials" is not at all useful.

The other way is to code something yourself. A simple example is:

Code:
def pbEligibleTeam(number,levelcap)
  count=0
  for i in $Trainer.pokemonParty
    count+=1 if i.level<=levelcap
  end
  return true if count>=number
  return false
end
pbEligibleTeam(3,50) returns true if you have at least 3 Pokémon at Level 50 or below, and false if you don't.

"While diving, you can now hop over to another underwater map and keep on diving by using a special method."

example pls
Code:
Kernel.pbTransferUnderwater(42,12,17)
Use this instead of a regular transfer command. It'll take you to map 42, at coordinates (12,17), facing the same direction as you were before. There is an optional fourth parameter which can set the direction if you want to.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 5, 2021
I tried to open the project but it says "Failed to Load actor data".

Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back