• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hack by yourself, or with a team?

Wobb

Wynaut
Years
Do you like ROM Hacking by yourself, or with a team? Why?
I like hacking in a team, because in a team, there are people who can help with things in the hack that you don't know how to do.
Teams make hacking faster too, because it's more than one person doing stuff, and you have people to tell you what they think about your ideas, and anything you make!

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I like teams because it keeps me motivated, and I always have something to do. It's also quite fun to work with other developers and have arguements about how to do something the best way :P

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I ROM Hack for fun and I find it much more enjoyable when working with others.

Crizzle

Legend
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 7, 2024
I like hacking by myself better. I like being in complete control of what is or isn't in my hack. The problem is that you don't have anyone motivating you to continue.

That said, the best hacks and games will always be made by teams. But I personally prefer to be in control.

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 9, 2021
I agree with Crizzle. But even though it's hard to stay motivated, the feeling of accomplishment is greater when you do stuff on your own.

That being said having dedicated artists or composers would help a lot which you only really get in a team.

Zervais

Island Kahuna
Years
I would love to work in a team, but unfortunately apart from one other person who has yet to do anything or talk to me in a few weeks, I'm on my own. It's my first hack and it's hard work, but because I'm on my own, it means I am learning how to do everything myself. That's kinda a good feeling I wouldn't get with a team. Sure, I'm not great at some things, but it's still my own work.

Years
  • Seen Nov 18, 2016
I prefer alone, cause with a team, you have to xplain your idea and be okey with the companys, you have to meet with your team for talk about the project...
Beetween, alone you can do all you wanna do.
It's true that is more work and more hard, but no body says that's it's easy.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
I like the idea of team hacks, but teams are only as strong as their weakest link. What ends up happening 90% of the time is someone gets bored and loses interest which slows the production down for everyone else. Then more people lose interest and eventually only a handful of devoted people are remaining.

In theory they're great for building teamwork and pooling the best attributes to create the best hack, but unless you have the dream team of devoted members it's probs gonna end badly.

BluRose

blu rass
Years
i would definitely prefer to do something in a team~
working with friends irl is a social bonding thing, and it also helps out with robotics and teaching the new kids how to code~ granted, we don't use assembly or c with the robot, but it's the concept that is important

Sefuree

Canada Goose
Years
I work individually but I like discussing the plot, events, map design and getting a second look on my work by someone else. I like having full control of my hack but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm not open to other peoples help and/or ideas.

pixeleye

Pixel Artist For GBC
Years
besides ASM which i dont clearly understand, I would want to make a Rom Hack with a team. But if i wanted graphical Rom hack, I think I could make it on my own..

Cheers

Back