The PokéCommunity Forums Create & Discover Roleplay Theatre Roleplay Casting
Other OPEN Noble Magic [M]

Roleplay Casting Lounge about in Out-Of-Character discussions linked to individual roleplays. This is the best place to find existing roleplays to join, or create the sign-up thread for a roleplay of your own!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old June 4th, 2018 (2:49 PM). Edited June 26th, 2018 by Daydream.
Boo.

Nature: Sassy

Noble Magic

A brief note to say that this a revival of a Roleplay I had intended to start... About two and half years ago? I left PC for various personal reasons back then, but Noble Magic never quite left my subconscious, and I'd like to give it another shot. PC's roleplaying community still seems the best fit for it, so I'm bringing it back here. The content of this introductory thread remains largely the same, with some tweaks for clarity. I've also done some retooling of the plot progression, so when/if we get going it should be a pretty smooth experience. I hope I can pique your interest!

Introduction

After a decade and a half of fighting, the land is truly at rest. Ten years ago, the Vestian Empire ended its brutal and bloody campaign for conquest of the realms that lie around the Lady’s Sea. Soldoro and her allies fought them to a bitter stalemate, and an uneasy treatise was struck. In exchange for a strip of land on the edge of Soldoro, they would cease their crusade for domination. That peace remains to this day, but it came at a price.

Now, it is 1454 and King Perseus Velaro IV is the last of his family. The royal Velaro line have never been ones to shy from battle. Long standing tradition sees royal sons and daughters lead their soldiers to battle, wielding their magic with pride. However, this has been their downfall. Perseus has lost his consort, his siblings and his cousins. There is no one of close enough blood to be named successor. And Perseus cannot bring himself to be with another, after the death of his beloved. With the Vestians still prowling the border, this crisis is a constant pressure.

Therein lies the reason for the King’s decree. Noble families of the land are to send a young member of their household to court this season. It is already a long standing tradition for noble youths to spend the summer at court in the Royal Palace, but this year shall be quite different: this year it is imperative. For the youth that impresses most shall be elevated to the status of heir, and adopted as the King’s own. Not only this, but the family of the chosen shall be given the Duchy of Northern Soldoro: the position vacant since the death of the previous Duchess.

There will many chances to impress – fetes, masques, balls and feasts. And this year’s season shall see the return of an event that has not been hosted since the beginning of the war: The Grand Tournament.

---
Soldoro as a country is somewhere between real-life Italy and Greece in the Renaissance period. This is reflected in its architecture – buildings tend to have columns and wide arches and there are plenty of domed rooves in any city. It is on the western edge of an inland sea and has a warm, temperate to Mediterranean climate. There are wide swathes of farmland and vineyards, and its main exports are wines and olives, along with having a thriving fishing industry.

Art and culture are at the fore of all things in Soldoro, and new technologies are often being discovered. A land with magic has no need for guns, and hence they do not exist in this world. Swords and crossbows are fought with, but these are usually only when a person is lacking in combative magical prowess.

Religion in Soldoro is primarily a belief in ‘The Goddess’ (alternatively referred to as ‘the/our Lady’). It is monotheistic, though The Goddess is believed to have multiple aspects – and these vary from region to region. Noble families are expected to show public dedication to her, as Minaism is the state religion. Whether this is privately just lip service is up to the discretion of the individuals.

Nobility

You will play the child of a noble family sent to the king’s court with the intention of becoming his heir. The nobility of Soldoro is made up of Mage families – mages are the ruling class in this land. Magic appears among the commoners, but only rarely. It is most strongly carried in the bloodlines of the old families, where it has been held for centuries. This causes a notable class divide, with many nobles looking down upon the ‘peasants’. There is further divide among the ranks of nobility, and at court where you stand on this scale affects the way you are perceived by others.

The ranks are as follows (in descending order):

Spoiler:
Duke/Duchess – Ruler of a duchy within the Kingdom. Soldoro has two duchies – the North and the South.

Count/Contessa – The ruler of a city and a portion of the surrounding land.

Marquis/Marquise – Rules a portion of land called a march, which is close to a border. There will likely be towns and/or villages in this land. After the war, this position became perceived as equal to that of a count/contessa – many of these nobles were instrumental in the defence of the border.

Baron/Baroness – Ruler of a portion of land, will likely have a town and/or villages in their sway as well.

Baronet – Rules a portion of land, perhaps containing a village.

Lord/Lady – Owns a small piece of land – their estate and its grounds or perhaps some farmland/a vineyard. This title is sometimes given as an honour for outstanding contribution to the country – for great inventions or military service, as an example. Recently elevated noble families are regarded with much derision.

You may choose to be the child of a noble of any one of these ranks, apart from Duke/Duchess. The Duke of South Soldoro is an NPC, and as stated above the Duchy of the North goes to the family of the chosen heir.

Magic

All of the noble families of Soldoro have magic in their blood. However, a mage can only be of a certain type – and these types are exclusive. Even if the character you are playing is a child of two different kinds of mages, they will only be able to perform one kind of magic. On occasion, a child may find they are not of the same type of either their parents, but instead of a type from a prior generation.

Basic spells can often be cast with no more than thought and intention. More complex spells may require incantations and rituals.

The types of magic are as follows:

Spoiler:
Life Magic: With magical arts attuned to human biology, the Life mage is adept in healing and preserving spells. This includes the ability to create a shield to nullify and block. A clever group of Life mages developed the art of ‘shield-throwing’, which involves manipulating a shield to push or constrict someone. This is more limited than the telekinetic magic of a Force mage, as it involves using the magical shield as though it were a physical object. Life magic also contains within it the power to modify one’s appearance and physiology, to a minor degree. Additionally, there is a Life spell that allows two people of any gender to have a biological child. Due to its intricacy, life magic is difficult to fully master – many use it for healing and it is seen to be rather uncouth to use in combat.

Elemental Magic: The Elemental mage can control fire, air, water and ice, earth (the ground, rocks, minerals, metal – not plant growth and such) and lightning (difficult to control, and there are few masters of lightning). Few mages of this type are able to master every element, and even if they are, it is near-impossible for them to wield them all at same time. Most focus on one or two disciplines (with the focus often being dictated by family preference).

Natural Magic: Affinity with and control over nature is the Natural mage’s skillset. They can will plants to grow and communicate with/control animals. This includes the ability to shapeshift into an animal form, though this prevents the use of any other kind of spell. A less common form of shapeshifting involves changing only parts of one’s body to animal form – allowing other spells to be cast. As this can cause complications in trying to shift back, it is not practiced by many. Occasionally you may meet a Natural mage with leftover animal traits from unsuccessful transformations.

Force Magic: Force mages are able to remotely manipulate things. This type of magic is largely centred around the skill of telekinesis, pushing, pulling and levitating objects or beings. It also contains within it the ability to make the mage themselves levitate – a true master can heighten this to the power of full flight. Some mages use this kind of magic to enhance unarmed combat skills – to deliver a kick or punch with more force. Others focus the kinetic energy into powerful blasts that sear and burn on contact.

Death Magic: The opposing force to the magic of Life, Death magic allows the mage a rather fearful set of skills. The first of which is categorised as necromancy. Necromancy is the summoning of spirits to aid the mage. Unless it is a time of war and the mage is in battle, using this power to reanimate a corpse is strictly forbidden. As is summoning a spirit into a body of the living. A common and accepted practice is to summon spirits into a weapon or construct. A legal, yet frowned upon, practice is to summon the spirit into the body of an animal. Death mages can also manipulate shadows – to hide themselves or darken a place. A forbidden practice is the death curse, a supposed complicated and lengthy ritual that can kill a person instantly. All studies of the death curse have been banned, all texts on the subject were burned centuries ago. Some speculate it is merely a rumour.

Gameplay

The game will play out as a hybrid. The action will happen primarily in the capital city of Avilla, and surround the advancing season at court. There will be periodic events that characters are required to attend – balls and feasts and such. And your characters will also be called to partake in bouts in the Grand Tournament. Between these events your characters will be free to explore the city and the castle as they please and pursue their own interests, in a small sandbox type of environment. Often there will be ongoing events in the city that your characters are free to investigate (or not) at their leisure. The plot will move on periodically as the season progresses, and does have defined end goal.

Largely, the point of the roleplay is to manoeuvre through the political and social entanglements of your character’s time at court. How they act will affect how they are seen, and will affect the news of them that reaches the king’s ears. Cause a scene in public, and people may start to whisper about your character. However, it is not imperative that your character should want to become the king’s heir – indeed a family member may have pushed them into attending Perhaps they simply wish to enjoy a season at the Royal court. There shall be a set end point (the heir is decided upon) and from there everything shall wind down.

As GM, I’ll provide posts with context – the mood at court, insights from the King and other NPCs and things happening in the city. At times I may provide suggestions for places within Avilla for your characters to visit that offer non-essential sub-plots. Behind the scenes I’ll be keeping track of your characters actions and how they have affected their social standing and likelihood of becoming the King’s heir.

Locations

Just a brief bit of info on some of the areas in Soldoro – like I said above, most of the roleplay with be played out in the capital city, but this section can be used when you’re building your sign-up.

Spoiler:
Avilla: (See ‘The City of Avilla’)

Avera: Avera is quiet, and quite peaceful. Its population are a religious sort and as such there are many churches and temples in the city. Most famous of which is the ancient ‘Temple of The Lady’, where many make pilgrimage to. There are a large number of peasants in the city of Avera, causing some to comment that it looks ‘untidy’. Many here fish, or tailor clothes from the wool and leather from the surrounding farms (as the city is situated amongst one of the few areas of pastoral farmland in Soldoro). Clothing is then shipped downriver into Avilla.

Orotello: A city famous for its college of bards – it is renowned that Orotello produces some of the best musicians in the land. There’s even mix of wealthy and poor in this city, but a rather apparent divide between them. Anglers often cast out onto the lake to catch the rare native white trout.

Omercia: Primarily a trade city – known for its large marketplace. Many surrounding vineyard owners and arable farmers bring their produce here to trade before it is shipped off downriver to Artez.

Saritta: Another city in which market trade is common, Saritta produces a famous brand of wine which is popular in both Soldoro and in other lands. Barges also travel from Saritta to Artez carrying lumber cut from the nearby forest that borders The Republic of Navacy.

Artez: Artez is a trade city – it has a larger port than Avilla and the city itself is not much smaller. It also has the largest population of ‘wealthy peasants’ – that is, non-nobles who have become rich as traders. There are lots of Inns in Artez due to the high number of sailors passing in and out of the city. It also has notably higher crime than other cities in Soldoro.

The City of Avilla

If an area has a more general name, that describes the kind of things in that location, then it’s perfectly fine for you to impose a bit of your own geography on Avilla. You can invent museums or shops or taverns that your character may find when exploring.

Avilla itself is not unlike Rome in appearance. Buildings are white and terracotta – the architecture is brimming with columns and archways. Many buildings have statues and carvings to decorate them.
Spoiler:
The Royal Palace: Where your characters shall be staying for the course of the season. The apartments for visiting nobles are on the second floor. The King’s quarters are on the top floor. The ground floor has the ballroom, great hall and kitchens. The first floor has the library and the (currently empty) quarters for other members of the royal family. It lies in beautifully landscaped grounds.

The Velaro Theatre: The Royal theatre, performances for the Royal family and visiting local and foreign nobles are held here. Behind it is an amphitheatre for outdoor performances.

Oro Park: A small and beautifully kept park with a large fountain in its centre. The paths are lined with rose bushes. The fountain depicts the Goddess in her ‘Mother’ aspect – water pours from her hands into the pool below.

Queen Anya Park: A large park, with well-trimmed trees and perfectly pruned shrubbery. In its centre is a large artificial lake, upon which rowing and swimming competitions are held.

Fortibelle Park: The more neglected sister of Queen Anya Park, it’s a little overgrown and the trees crowd together in many places. It’s not well lit, and easy to get lost in in the dark.

Palace Bridge: A delicate looking arched bridge, wrought out of intertwining metal and stone. It is believed to have been created by magic in centuries past.

The Velaro Bridge: Wide, functional, only slightly arched and made from grey stones. It takes the brunt of the traffic out the bridges.

The Marquise’s Bridge: A white stone bridge that has short balustrade. An old story says that the Marquise of Oranica threw herself from the bridge in despair at her husband discovering her lover and murdering him on the spot.

Embassies: Surrounded by high walls, dignitaries of foreign nations operate here. Nobles are of course offered a room in the palace, however.

Sign-up

Name:

Magic Type and Style: Remember, only one type. Give some idea of how your character uses this kind of magic, and what areas of it they are proficient in. It is fine for your character to be adept in their chosen style, but powerplaying their magic is not. All magic has its weaknesses, and its strengths.

Noble Status: Which rank of nobility your character’s parents belong to, and which city they rule, or where their land is. If you aren’t playing the child of a Count/Contessa, then lay claim to the areas of Soldoro you see fit, but give a general idea of where in the country your land is, and what it contains (making up villages and towns is perfectly okay!).

For the child of a Count/Contessa you can claim any city you wish, and this shall be a first-come, first-saved basis. You can choose any of the five cities that are not the capital.

Appearance: A picture or a detailed description, or some combination of the two.

Personality/Background: What your character is like, and little bit of their history up to this point.

Family Background: This only has to be brief – a sentence or two to give some idea of how long they have held their title and general popularity with the local populace. This section can be incorporated into the above if that’s easier.

Rules

1. Obviously, all the normal PC and RPT rules apply.

2. Joint posting is allowed, and may even work nicely when it comes to bouts in the Grand Tournament.

3. No powerplaying – it’s fine to be adept at your magic type, but it isn’t fine to be an all-powerful, invulnerable mage.

4. Your characters may not leave Avilla. If you have a good reason to do so, then please ask. Otherwise, it’s unlikely that our young nobles would go wandering the countryside alone. It simply wouldn't do.

5. Activity wise, at least weekly posts are preferable. There’s flexibility here, depending on how long people think it will take.

6. Be nice to me and each other! Especially me though.

Accepted Players

1. Me as King Perseus Velaro IV and various NPCs.

2. Godzil as Trevor Silverman.

3. Songbird as Marisa Graf and Sasha Quinn.

4. Kikpanther as Lyra Damontefeltro.

5. Quest as Marjorie Venilia-Viggo

6. Junier as Rane Branto de Saro.

(Character names link to sign-ups).

Old June 4th, 2018 (5:47 PM).
Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)

Nature: Docile
    Wh-what the psyduck, literally out of nowhere... Noble Magic's back?

This is really cool to see, honest! I loved the concept behind this, aha! I'll definitely try to find time to consider a character again! Do you remember Tito?

Old June 5th, 2018 (9:08 AM).
    Boo.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Junier View Post
    Wh-what the psyduck, literally out of nowhere... Noble Magic's back?

This is really cool to see, honest! I loved the concept behind this, aha! I'll definitely try to find time to consider a character again! Do you remember Tito?
    Thanks so much! I do remember Tito, I was reading through the old thread and just seeing how much work everyone had put into their sign-ups made me a lil' sad because I had neglected something I was proud of/that others were enthusiastic about.

I'm so glad you remember the roleplay, it would super awesome to have Tito or a new character come back to Soldoro!
    Old June 5th, 2018 (10:20 AM). Edited June 5th, 2018 by Junier.

Aww... At least we can make magic happen this time. Glad you came back to this!

Tbh I thought Tito as a character was a little milquetoast, but I like the idea of a rapier-wielding, elemental country boy of a mage was a fun enough concept that I want to revisit him... I know for sure I want to make him a more established wind/fire mage and then give him like a Grecian-Roman name

Old June 5th, 2018 (12:01 PM).
      Dapper bowler hat

Nature: Modest
        I have to go dust off my old SU. It's back!
        Old June 5th, 2018 (12:56 PM).
        Boo.

Quote:
        Aww... At least we can make magic happen this time. Glad you came back to this!

Tbh I thought Tito as a character was a little milquetoast, but I like the idea of a rapier-wielding, elemental country boy of a mage was a fun enough concept that I want to revisit him... I know for sure I want to make him a more established wind/fire mage and then give him like a Grecian-Roman name
        I'm pumped that you're already thinking of ideas! Magic will happen. Magic and EXTREME VIOLENCE an appropriate level of violence.

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
        I have to go dust off my old SU. It's back!
        Glad to see you wanna come back, can't wait to see your sign up! Are you thinking of using Trevor again?
        Old June 5th, 2018 (1:27 PM).

OOoh I get set people on fire? ...within reason? Lol, I'll let you know if I have any questions

Old June 5th, 2018 (7:17 PM). Edited July 12th, 2018 by Godzil.
          Dapper bowler hat

Nature: Modest
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Daydream View Post
            Glad to see you wanna come back, can't wait to see your sign up! Are you thinking of using Trevor again?
            Probably! But not the same as before. I'll probably reuse the appearance, name, and magic, but with a new history and personality, among other small changes.

In fact, here it is:

Name: Trevor Silverman

Magic Type and Style: Force Magic. Trevor is highly skilled in the use of telekinesis, which he wields as easily and dexterously as his own hands. In fact, he would prefer telekinesis over his hands, and casually uses his magic to pick up and move objects. While it is said that force mages can levitate themselves and eventually fly, Trevor rarely sees the need, so his skill at it is rather limited. In combat, he has had to remain subtle, wrapping his body in a protective layer of kinetic force and augmenting his physical strikes with force energy. If given the chance to show off his magic, his focus on the physical would manifest not as crude blasts of force or formless shields, but as hand-shaped constructs of kinetic energy.

Noble Status: Lord. Trevor's father Vincent Silverman is the Baron of Sweetwater, a farming community along the banks of the Oran River. Sweetwater is known for producing fruit, and much of the town's income comes from Sweetwater Acres, the largest apple orchard all of Soldoro. Trevor himself owns only a portion of the land, Sweetwater Acres itself, and thus is a Lord.

Appearance:
            Spoiler:

Trevor is a slender, gangly fellow, precisely six feet tall and likely weighing no more than 140 lbs. He has light skin, brown eyes, and dark hair that reaches his shoulders and is perpetually messy. Though he is thin, he has a strong jaw and large nose, with a set of simple silver spectacles perched on his nose. He prefers a simple, academic style of fashion: black slacks and shoes, a long-sleeved white shirt, and a black robe.

Personality/Background: Trevor has worked hard his entire life to get to where he is. He is proud of his noble heritage, seeing himself as of a higher status than common people, but he isn't afraid to go out and take care of things directly. He respects the authority of those above him, and expects the same of people below him, so he's kind of uptight and big on rules. He enjoys reading, practicing his magic, and training himself in hand-to-hand combat (and occasionally sneaks out of the manor to participate in an underground fight club at the tavern). In a sense, he is desperate for acceptance, facing any challenge to win the approval of his family, or to be seen as a hero to the common folk. He often hears veiled insults and threats when people talk to him, and is quick to anger. He occasionally affects a slight accent, picked up from the workers on his family's farm.

Growing up was difficult for Trevor. His whole life, he lived in the shadow of his older brother, Sylvester. His father lived in his family's mansion, conducting state affairs and training Sylvester to take over the estate, while his mother lived on her farm, working the land. Trevor spent most of his childhood with his mother on the farm, learning the ways of the land and working with the farmhands, most of whom came from the Vestian Empire to the South. His father barely took notice of him, but when he turned 15, his father abruptly brought him to the manor, to be trained as an accountant, assistant, and advisor to his brother. Even his magic, which he had started to develop years before, was no more than a passing curiosity to his father. Trevor suspects that even his upcoming visit to the Royal Court is nothing more than a formality, his father sending the "spare" as a matter of tradition. Still, it will be a nice change of scenery, and a chance to perhaps prove himself.

"If you do me an injury, I will crush you, ruin your name, and salt your fields. Metaphorically speaking, of course..."

Family Background: The Silverman family has governed the town of Sweetwater for almost 100 years, turning a collection of farms into a thriving community. Trevor's father broke traditional marriage practices by marrying a commoner, Vera, the owner of Sweetwater Acres. This has earned their family the scorn of other nobles, but a measure of respect within the town itself. Combined with other practices to improve the condition of the people, the Silverman family is one of the less wealthy of the noble families, despite a profitable region, and are looked down on as overly sentimental liberals by other noble families.

Old June 6th, 2018 (9:00 AM).
            Boo.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
            Probably! But not the same as before. I'll probably reuse the appearance, name, and magic, but with a new history and personality, among other small changes.

In fact, here it is:
            Trevor is accepted! I think I'd like the Silvermans, because I too am an overly sentimental liberal.
            Old June 7th, 2018 (12:49 PM).

Nature: Mild
              I'm going to post my S.U. soon, I already have a good idea of what my character's backstory will be.
              Old June 8th, 2018 (5:56 AM).

Quote:
                Thought of a question!
                What would you say the gender roles of Soldoro are like? Because Renaissance culture, but there’s also that detail of both male and female mages fighting in the war, so is that a reflection of men and women being considered socially on an equal plane?

And also, does everyone have magic? Or is it exclusive to certain lineages?

Old June 8th, 2018 (12:46 PM).
                Boo.

Quote:
                What would you say the gender roles of Soldoro are like? Because Renaissance culture, but there’s also that detail of both male and female mages fighting in the war, so is that a reflection of men and women being considered socially on an equal plane?

And also, does everyone have magic? Or is it exclusive to certain lineages?
                I envision gender roles as entirely equal. Everyone does everything. The main inequality in Soldoro is class.

I think I touched on it, but anyone can potentially have magic. It appears in noble lines predominantly because it was seen as a desirable trait and selected for over many generations. Commoners can have magic and if it appears in many successive generations the family will likely be elevated to noble status, maintaining mages as the ruling class in Soldoro.
                Old June 8th, 2018 (1:01 PM).

> "selected for"

equal gender roles will make for some fun speculation! back to the good ol' days... of pre-agricultural society, lol.

thanks for the clarification!

Old June 10th, 2018 (1:59 PM). Edited June 11th, 2018 by Leo Van Pyroar.

Nature: Mild
                    Name: Olcan Birchwield

Magic Type and Style: Olcan practices Natural Magic with a primary focus in shapeshifting. His training in shapeshifting began at the age of sixteen and, while not yet mastering it yet, has become quite proficient at it. He primarily uses this ability to slightly transform and achieve heightened senses, but their are instances of him completely transforming. It is difficult to notice any visible differences while he is partially transformed as he changes his sensual capacity more than that of his physical appearance. However, the transformation process is a strenuous one and often leaves Olcan in a state of exhaustion afterwards.

Noble Status: Baron. Olcan's father Arthur Birchwield is the Baron of Holzrend, a small lumber village located on the coast of Sarica Lake and within an hour's walk of the forests that border the Republic of Navancy.

Appearance: http://suzanne-helmigh.deviantart.com/art/Rotgar-portrait-632065300

Personality/Background:

Family Background:

I'm going to finish the last part soon. Also, I had trouble with the image, so apologies in advance.
                    Old June 17th, 2018 (6:56 AM). Edited June 17th, 2018 by Daydream.
                    Boo.

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Leo Van Pyroar View Post
                    I'm going to finish the last part soon. Also, I had trouble with the image, so apologies in advance.
                    Just give me a shout when it's ready!
                    --

A little update:

I've been working on the first post/introduction to the RP and various bits of lore that will be important as we progress. Some of the NPCs like the King and Duke of South Soldoro have been further fleshed out. I wanna make sure there's plenty of contextual stuff for the players to bounce off, and some good plotted sections outside of the sandbox portions.

I know I've got some sign-ups still to come, and if it feels like we need more characters I'm sure I can come up with one of my own. There will be a small window of time after the RP begins where new characters can join, however, so if you're interested and don't know whether to commit your time yet, don't worry too much about it. I'll make it clear when sign-ups are closed.
                    Old June 17th, 2018 (11:44 AM). Edited July 5th, 2018 by Songbird.
                    Is Unicorn a good girl?

Hey, I'm one of those people who exist. Who's surprised to see me? Probably nobody. What a warm welcome. Screw you guys. I still love you, though. Okay, I'm ambivalent, but that's good enough, right?

Now that I'm done talking to myself, here's a sign-up. Read it, make fun of it and/or completely ignore it at your leisure.

Spoiler:
                      Messenger, avatar, or the Goddess herself descended, the name of Saint Alessa Graf is one widely known and highly regarded throughout Soldoro and its neighbors. Few would claim not to have heard of her accomplishments, and fewer would speak ill of her. An inimitable pillar of hope in the war against Vestia, Alessa was elevated from being the second daughter of a baron to a countess herself—there was no official position of “saint” in Soldoro due to the varied interpretations of the Goddess, and she wasn't about to up and leave for the Minastic Papal State north of Navacy when the state requested. She was also given rule over the city of Saritta, after the loss of the family of Count Durante in the Battle (or more accurately, Massacre) of Mottani west of Omercia.

Casting healing spells that threatened to turn back time, the young Graf single-handedly brought hundreds of lives from the brink of death very early in the war, and soldiers with what were fatal injuries stood to fight once more like nothing had happened. Alessa's abilities were quickly recognized by the Soldoran military, and she was assigned an elite guard to be with her at all hours. Rightfully so, as they weren't the only ones. It's suspected that it wasn't just the Vestian Empire, but Navacy and Etnia saw her as a danger as well.

Among the small team of bodyguards was a woman named Selene, a renowned mage whose spells tore open holes in space. Striking with such force that she left not even dust in her wake and moving across the battlefield as though the concept of distance was an illusion, Selene earned the moniker of the Maiden of the Void, or perhaps the Monster of the Void depending on who you ask. She and Alessa became close allies, friends, and soon enough lovers amidst the many attempts on the latter's life; and with the two of them together the number they saved climbed from the hundreds to the tens of thousands.

During a tense lull about six years into the war, after an affectionate wish in the night come true, Alessa became pregnant with Marisa. However, fearing for her safety from threats both in and out of the country, she was kept and raised secret from the world, away from strangers, friends and family alike. Living deep in the forests north of Orotello, only Alessa's older sister, her most trusted servants, Selene's comrades and the king himself knew of Marisa's existence.

It wasn't long before they believed they made the right decision. Within a few years Marisa began growing slower, and only ever slower. Her mind matured properly, yet at some point her body stopped changing entirely. Into her mid-teens some of the maids no longer took her seriously. At nineteen, there's no getting around the fact that she still looks like a child, and the dichotomy has long since bled into her mannerisms.

When she started showing her magic, it seemed like reality was bending itself according to her whims, whether she put conscious thought into it or not. The stories she read were played out by false actors on a stage that didn't exist, but the words they spoke rang clear; phantasmal beasts fought in her place during combat training in the yard, yet their claws hit harder than steel; and she flew the sky over her mothers' manor with ethereal wings that one maid described as "only befitting the daughter of the Goddess"—much to Alessa's chagrin. Injuries disappeared all the same, cuts and scrapes fading away like a bad dream.

The only thing that ever dared stay true was the form of a tiger, white fur nearly translucent like ice. Marisa snuck out of the manor once when she was young, and found herself being attacked by a wild boar. While the tiger first appeared in its full spectral glory, rather than fading as always once it had completed its task it had shrunk down to the size of a kitten. When the servants caught up to Marisa, they saw the tracks of the boar leading farther into the woods (which one of the more capable butlers promptly hunted down for supper); minor wounds in the middle of healing; and an all-too-real tiger cub that wouldn't leave the girl's side, later named Shadow.

Her short stint of adventurousness aside, Marisa never went beyond the grounds of the Graf estate alone, and no farther than the surrounding woods with the servants. She'd met next to nobody in her entire life. King Velaro visited every now and then as a friend of her mothers, as did the guards that protected Alessa with Selene during the war. One day a couple of the family servants' daughters joined the house workforce, as well, including one who turned out to be a boy—and her cousin, no less, which was a pleasant surprise. But that was the extent of her knowing anyone close to her in age, much less anyone at all.

As they grew when Marisa didn't, however, it couldn't be called the most enjoyable time as the days went by. She could never experience many of the things the girls were going through while they became young ladies, and before long they started treating her like an innocent little girl even when they weren't just teasing her. She got back at them at least, keeping up with the bodyguards' rigorous training regimen far more easily, and referring to the younger ones as little sisters (even her cousin) well after they'd outgrown her.

Still, much of Marisa's time as a teenager not spent studying or training was spent doing things like playing with Shadow, reading the various novels in the manor's library, or practicing skills learned from the servants (or getting dressed up by the maids against her will). Many hours were lost to indulging in romantic fantasies before bed and being played with like a doll.

It naturally came as a shock when her mothers mentioned Marisa attending court of all things. She hadn't expected to stay at the manor forever, but she was perfectly aware of Alessa's circumstances compounding her own, as well as the king's. The man himself, though, assured her that she wasn't going as a prospective heir, nor was she going alone. She was already bound to a very influential (and dangerous) position thanks to her mother, after all.

So with all the arrangements already made for her first public appearance, Marisa jumped on board, and prepared herself to finally face the world.

Phantasmagoria ~ Marisa Graf

Second verse, same as the first.

Spoiler:
                      Sasha Quinn
                      Sasha Graf

The Quinn family has a long history with the Graf barony. They've been in service to the Grafs as gardeners and estate security from the time of Sasha's great-grandmother, just after the Graf family was granted their current status.

Sasha's mother, Chelsea Quinn, continued that trend. While her older sister was married off to the son of a marquis who had an eye on their natural magic, Chelsea was trusted not as groundskeeper like her father, but as the personal caretaker of the Graf's eldest daughter, Michaela.

Being the oldest of three children made Michaela the baron's heir apparent, and the family's varied life magic was certainly nothing to scoff at. For the longest time, she was expected to take a husband or wife of some repute, and other families acted as such. It was more than a little stressful for her to worry about between lectures and having to appear at public functions.

Manipulative. Incompetent. Too perfect. Riding on her brother's coattails... She only liked him as a friend. Michaela's complaints were as unceasing as those who approached, and the ones she had no immediate qualms with she knew nothing about, nor they her. She likened it to hell.

Mind, she was certainly no angel. Her favorite application of life magic was distinctly violent—Michaela was well-trained in combat, coating her body in healing magic to harmlessly incapacitate someone while still feeling all the satisfaction of delivering a no-holds-barred beatdown; as she blossomed into her womanhood she did things with her sister that neither of them can take back; and she'd openly offended more than a few nobles in a wide variety of ways without a hint of remorse.

For Chelsea, it was through all her days supporting Michaela and making her more presentable to others that she realized she had fallen hopelessly in love with her charge.

However, luck smiled on her one night when she could bear keeping quiet no longer. As Michaela wished for a way out of the inevitable, Chelsea offered herself, and although it took a moment the former wasn't slow to accept. Michaela was all too happy to cite the Quinns' generations of dedication and magical aptitude in favor of it to her father, as well.

The two were wed a little over a year before the war began, at twenty years old. Michaela's sister made a peculiarly embarrassing name for herself with her unbelievable healing abilities, but Michaela and their younger brother, Hunter, stayed in the barony. Hunter was too young to fight for the first half of the war, and Michaela drowned in administrative work while helping her parents.

Even so, she and Chelsea at least found enough free time to vent their “frustrations” and then some to each other, and it's safe to say they were particularly inventive in doing so. As such, their activities resulted in the safe birth of not one, but two children—a girl and a boy.

Sasha was the younger of the two, born seven years into the war and now nearing eighteen. His sister, Charlotte, inherited a brand of the Graf bloodline's life magic, and in the meantime Sasha had a rather unique inclination towards the natural magic he was born with.

For much of his childhood, Sasha used his magic freely. He was perfectly willing to learn the plant manipulation magic that Chelsea frequently used, but more than anything he proved to be a natural at shapeshifting. It quickly came to a point where he was transformed more often than not, and he'd gone so far as to teach himself how to transform his clothes with his body before he had a full grasp on language.

Chelsea did manage to wean him off transforming so much by putting his human hands to work more frequently, at the cost of some internal conflict. Charlotte helped, too, being a good big sister and praising how cute he was whenever he wasn't in an animal form. He started using his talents to stay cute as he grew up and make her happy since he enjoyed the praise, and soon enough came to like it himself.

Still, by the time he was ten Sasha grew uncomfortable if he wasn't at least partially shifted at any given time, and he'd go into days long fits of depression trying to restrain himself. Shapeshifting was as normal to him as breathing—or rather, though he couldn't say why, it wasn't his original form that he felt normal in.

He'd gone through a tail, wings, claws and even venom among many other things, and took detailed notes on each one for himself, until he finally settled on a pair of ears to become a permanent fixture on his “original” human body. That said, that wasn't entirely natural in itself, having already gone through various alterations of its own in Charlie and Sasha's little quest for a (mostly) human form he was happy to keep.

He wasn't sure whether the ears were those of a wolf, fox or some kind of cat, but his sister seemed to love the result as much as he did, and there was no describing the comfort he felt after all was said and done despite how relatively simple all the changes were. The ringing after loud noises was a small price to pay for the enhanced hearing as well, and Sasha's desire to shapeshift as much as he once did slowly began to subside.

It was around then that he came into the service of his aunt and her wife at their behest, taking up residence in their manor west of Artez. The estate was located so far in the woods that the closest semblance of civilization was two days' carriage ride and another two days' hike through the forest away, but somehow the distance passed in the blink of an eye.

His aunt's wife saw value in Sasha's abilities, to put it simply, and his parents watched as the manor's location and residents additionally proved to be conducive to his mood and education.

After making himself at home, Sasha was tasked with assisting in the care of his cousin—a little platinum-haired girl who, much to his surprise, was a year his senior. And while he was unhappy knowing contact with his sister and parents was lowered to visiting each other, his cousin's smile had an infectious quality to it, and within days Sasha found himself wanting to make her happy all the same. (However, he was unsubtly instructed by his aunt to never shapeshift into any sort of swine. He was never told why.)

As the next few years passed, Sasha had plenty of time available as he always did, and used that time to help the servants when he wasn't taking care of his cousin. It did take him a while to get used to her magic, though... and the fact that she never got anywhere close to puberty.

Unfortunately, during all the time he had to practice his skills, he discovered that he was... less than stellar, with plant manipulation magic after constant neglect. At the very least, he learned to cook and sew quite well, and can grow medicinal and culinary herbs and such without issue; but modifying them or manipulating plants he didn't grow himself still ends up taking much more time than viable.

On the other hand, his shapeshifting magic continued to improve at a rapid pace under the guidance of one of his aunt's former bodyguards, both in speed and variety. In the process, he even learned how to use an animal's traits without having to transform into it. His mentor taught him to use normal weaponry, too, often referring back to a shapeshifter's weakness to ranged combat.

Sasha was equally proficient in communication with the many animals he morphed into, and he learned to reliably call and command animals of different species without shapeshifting first. As a result of his progress, Sasha was later entrusted with his cousin's security and care when she was given the chance to leave the estate, and attend court at the royal palace.

Additionally, as a reward and parting gift from his teacher of six years, he was taken to have some equipment forged for him. The end result turned out to be a particularly hefty bracer that fit snug to Sasha's left arm; it was made from a dragon's scales and his own blood, allowing it to follow him through his shapeshifting and transform at his will, and act as both armor and weapon. How his teacher managed to acquire enough of a dragon's body parts to spare for this, however, is a story for another time.

Chimera
                      Old June 17th, 2018 (12:23 PM).
                      Veteran Roleplayer

Nature: Careful
                      I am also a person who is interested in participating in this. I'm glad to see that you and this RP are back.
                      Old June 18th, 2018 (4:21 AM).
                      Boo.

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Quest View Post
                      I am also a person who is interested in participating in this. I'm glad to see that you and this RP are back.
                      Thanks! I'd love for you to be involved!

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Songbird View Post
                      Hey, I'm one of those people who exist. Who's surprised to see me? Probably nobody. What a warm welcome. Screw you guys. I still love you, though. Okay, I'm ambivalent, but that's good enough, right?
                      Marisa is accepted! Here's to the young Miss Graf's first public outing!
                      Old June 23rd, 2018 (7:55 AM). Edited June 23rd, 2018 by Songbird.
                      Is Unicorn a good girl?

To whom it may concern, which is certainly not very many people given my track record, I have returned to my typical schtick and made a second character. Expect a fifth third in short order, or not. Couldn't say for sure. For those who ignore me, please enjoy your day, and for those who read, feel free to be intrigued and/or repulsed at your earliest convenience.
                        Old June 23rd, 2018 (8:17 AM).
                        Boo.

Sasha is accepted!

Couple of notes for interested parties/current players:

- If you wish to supply character sheets/sign-ups for supplementary characters like Songbird has for Marisa, please feel free. I'll put them alongside your nobles in a different colour in the main post.
                        - I was asked about the islands off the coast of Avilla, this area is off limits to claim for your nobles because it's going to be involved in the plot of the roleplay.
                        Old June 24th, 2018 (5:06 AM). Edited June 25th, 2018 by Junier.

Quote:
                          Introducing: the worst mage
                          Is it lazy, ingenious, or practical, I don't know. But she is done! In a google doc :))

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Uho2AYrWTW4f-atsp3-MxN2gV8zsiVbHnYh9yj6BHIU/edit?usp=sharing

Old June 24th, 2018 (9:32 AM). Edited June 26th, 2018 by Kikpanther.
                          Not a beginner that's for sure

Nature: Calm
                          Lyra Damontefeltro

22 | Natural Mage | Eldest Daughter to the Baron of An'Yisse

Main Household

Baron Sylvestre Damontefeltro
                          Baroness Olyvia Damontefeltro
                          Lyra Damontefeltro
                          Cassidy Damontefeltro
                          Daryan Damontefeltro

Family:

The title of Baron has been with the Damontefeltro family for more than a century after pledging their loyalty to the monarchy. The family eventually settled on An’Yisse, a barren island off the coast of Artez, before cultivating it into the civilization it is today. As it was built for agriculture, the island is full of rich acreage and dense, beautiful forests. While it wouldn't be considered a crowded place, An’Yisse has its fair share of citizens, the majority of which are farmers. Being one of the most fertile lands in all of Soldoro, it attracts many new residents who seek prosperity.

However, that doesn’t mean the island is open to just anyone. The Damontefeltro are selective about those who enter An’Yisse seeking permanent residence. This is done to prevent overcrowding and better ensure the peace and prosperity of the island. Newcomers to An’Yisse are thoroughly vetted and, since there are a limited number of homes available to live in, there is a waiting list while the island is at capacity.

Baron Sylvestre and Baroness Olyvia make up the heads of the main household on An’Yisse. Control for the parts of An’Yisse that the main household did not touch were distributed amongst family members of lower noble rank. An’Yisse is split into four sections with the main house occupying space in the middle. These sections are secured under contracts established by the main house. Favor of the Damontefeltro’s depends entirely upon who has control over which part of the island. Generally, though, the Damontefeltro have positive reception with the main family being the most popular and most adored. This is especially true in areas where the nobles are not particularly liked. Their favor is largely due to the Damontefeltro’s unusual style of visiting their citizens. It isn’t rare to see a member of one of the households in a nearby community shopping or speaking to their citizens. It is even rarer to see them with an escort. This is mostly due to An’Yisse’s high standards and extremely low crime rate.

As Natural Mages, it isn’t surprising that the Damontefeltro have an affinity for nature itself. They are known for their advocacy for clean practices that preserve the health and beauty of wildlife and for perfecting those practices on their own land. Many parts of An’Yisse, especially on the grounds of the main house, act as preserves for rare or exotic plant and animal life. While hunting is allowed on An’Yisse, the practice is not prohibited on large parts of the island. Outside of their island affairs, the Damontefeltro are known for their preference for peace and negotiation rather than war. They also have a name for themselves manufacturing new or more effective species of plants or animals be it for research, innovation, or curiosity.

The Damontefeltro family is almost purely made up of Natural Mages with only the Natural Mages holding power on the island. Since they are natural advocates for peace, the Damontefeltro have no army at their disposal. If the situation is urgent enough to call for their assistance (the war, for example) they call for volunteers within An’Yisse to join into another army. The Damontefeltro’s main contribution to Soldoro is through trade. The products that come from An’Yisse are primarily raw materials from plants and animals. Much less frequently they trade goods, but these are primarily done when they are special requested. Their most sought after products are specialized strains of plant that come directly from the main house. Information about these strains are hidden in secret. However, there are rumors that many of these secret strains were manufactured specifically for the war.

The sigil of the Damontefeltro is a four-winged, horned griffin. This is, of course, due to the animal’s grace, but also because of their role within the family. The egg of the griffin is gifted to the current ruler of the Damontefeltro family at their indoctrination. The griffin grows with the new Baron or Baroness symbolizing a growth in leadership and strength. No more than one of these creatures has been allowed to live on the grounds at once. Though the griffin is a well-known symbol of the Damontefeltro, it is not well known that these are not true griffins. They are actually manufactured to bare the same look and eminence of the sigil, but are in truth just copies.

Background:

From a young age, Natural Magic came easy to Lyra. The concepts she learned in books, from tutors, or from her parents took very little effort for her to do well. Growing flowers, fruits, trees, vines, and other plants were almost like a second nature. Even the more scientific concepts, though more complicated in their application, seemed to her fairly easy to replicate. Plant magic very quickly became a boring concept for her to study. What did catch her interest was transformation magic.

Unlike making plants grow, turning into an animal wasn’t easy. Though the incantations were simple, the actual act of changing was not. Either it wouldn’t work at all or not to the extent she wanted. When they caught wind of it, Lyra’s parents forbade her to continue practicing the magic until she was older. To them, ten was just too young to begin attempting a technique that could possibly have permanent adverse effects. Lyra, however, wasn’t the type to listen and went about learning on her own anyways. Her study of animals and transformation techniques distracted Lyra from her lessons and she soon neglected them altogether. Her parents attempts to stop her--assign someone to watch her, give her more work, put her in charge of her young brother’s lessons--were to no avail. She would find a way out of all of their plans.

It was Olyvia who suggested the compromise. They would give her a companion that she could transform instead of herself. She expected Lyra to slow down or altogether cease her practice if she saw the effects of transformation magic on someone else. That companion would be a young, dark-colored snake engineered by the Damontefeltro to have near human intelligence. Lyra affectionately named the snake Edwyn and resumed her lessons quickly. Olyvia’s plan had worked as she’d hoped. Lyra grew to love Edwyn and it was inevitable that one of her experiments would fail. She had successfully turned Edwyn into a bird but turning him back did not go nearly as well. He was a snake again, but… With feathers. After the pains of talking Edwyn through anxiety about his appearance it became clear to Lyra that her magic had consequences. Needless to say, Edwyn was not happy with her, but he was patient to wait for her to fix it. After a year and a half she was able to remedy some of her mistake, but not completely reverse it.

Along with her magic lessons, Lyra was required to learn about politics and how to navigate through a political world. Also, as the heir, it is her duty to navigate and understand the dealings of the Damontefeltro. Much like plant magic, most of this came easy to her. Lyra has always been a socialite. She enjoys speaking to others and as such she is adept at speaking in casual groups or in political settings. Lyra can get a little carried away in her socializing and frequently finds her conversations ending in the bedroom. Even still, she is an outstanding negotiator and navigates skillfully through contracts, financial documents, and the other internal aspects of politics. Though she was strategic about paperwork politics, she was not very good at the dirty side of things.

The dirty side meaning war, covert operations, hostile takeovers, and... well… All the deadly sides of politics. These concepts were lost on Lyra. Not to say she doesn’t know what they are or why they’re done, but she doesn’t understand the best way to go about these things. If she looks to her parents for answers they turn her down, letting her know time and time again that it isn’t their family’s way to participate in such activities. They keep to themselves as much as they possibly can and that’s that. Their words sounded hypocritical, especially when Lyra considered her family’s contributions to the war. When she argued this with her father, Sylvestre shut her down and said it was a sign of immaturity that she would consider breaking the Damontefeltro promise of peace. The argument left her feeling weak. Not weak compared to her father, but to the world beyond An’Yisse.

How could they expect An’Yisse to continue to prosper without ever being willing to take up arms? She understood avoiding war whenever necessary, but how could they be so ill-prepared? Their little island had its defenses, but it wouldn’t be enough to fend off an attack from any real threat. An’Yisse needed to see changes and, as heir, she felt it was up to her to ensure those changes happened. Lyra’s feelings of vulnerability drove her to find strength.

With a little persuasion, she was able to convince the more combat-strong branches of their family to teach her how to use her magic offensively. And, with Edwyn’s help, she retrieved any texts on war and conquest she could possibly find on the island (there were not many). Her additional training taught her not only how to defend herself, but to attack and--if need be--kill her opponent. She took what she learned and passed it onto her siblings, worried that their lack of knowledge would end in their demise. Sadly, Lyra didn’t get nearly as far into her studies as she’d like before this too was found out by her parents.

Sylvestre gave her an ultimatum. Either Lyra abandon her violent and ambitious studies or she joins the branch of their family she had taken up training with. It was a clear threat. Any Damontefeltro outside of the main house was not eligible to be the heir to An’Yisse. She conceded and ceased her activities immediately. Continuing her practice in secret wasn’t worth the risk of losing her chance to improve An’Yisse once it was her time to take her father’s place. It was Edwyn who revealed to her that her parents were considering taking away her right to An’Yisse and bestowing it upon her brother, Cassidy. Lyra believed before then that the key to regaining her parent’s favor was to appease them, but now she saw it was time to eliminate her competition.

Nothing violent. Lyra loved her family and wouldn’t do anything to harm them. Her strategy was instead to exploit their weaknesses and make them less desirable than she was. For the last four years, Lyra grew Cassidy’s easy-going personality and Daryan’s timidity. It was hard work at first to consider every conversation more than just talking but as an opportunity or an angle which she could exploit. Now, it was like second nature. A nature that’s hard for her to shake.

When the king called for an heir, Lyra saw another opportunity. It didn’t matter if her father revoked her right to An’Yisse if she eventually became queen. Not only could she make changes to An’Yisse from the throne, but she could ensure all of Soldoro was properly protected. Not to mention, the time leading up to her crowning would be more than enough to learn in the vast libraries and under the expert tutelage available to the king’s heir. Her parents may not have been completely happy about it, but the king’s call wasn’t one they could ignore. She would be leaving for Avilla and, if the King’s favor fell on her, she wouldn’t be returning.
                          Combat:

The Damontefeltro aren't considered an elite force, but they can hold their own in battle, whether they must take the offensive or not. Lyra is no exception. Like many of her family members she specializes in plant-based magic and uses rapidly growing plants to administer long range attacks towards her opponents. This can come in the form of tendrils, projectiles, or mists. To increase the potency of their abilities, it isn’t uncommon for a Damontefeltro to create a dense forest around them for cover. For close combat fighting, Lyra utilizes partial transformation. However, her training focuses on keeping the opponent as far away as possible so she can only stay close range successfully for a relatively short time. Lyra usually only uses full transformation to fight in high-risk battles. The only other times she uses full transformation magic is for quick transportation, stealth, and escape. Lyra seldom uses her powers of animal control. She only really takes advantage of it if she can’t get what she wants asking nicely.
                          Old June 24th, 2018 (9:48 AM). Edited June 24th, 2018 by Daydream.
                          Boo.

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Kikpanther View Post
                          Lyra Damontefeltro
                          is accepted!

I'll add Lyra onto the main post. ^_^

Things are trundling along nicely in terms of sign-ups, so I'm going to make an attempt at putting together a Discord server. It'll be up and running about 10 years from now
                          Old June 24th, 2018 (11:56 AM). Edited June 24th, 2018 by Quest.
                          Veteran Roleplayer

Nature: Careful
                          Here's my character! Hope you like her.

Marjorie Venilia-Viggo

22 // The Stormchild // Female

"My father would consider you pathetic and I can't help but agree with his sentiment."

Magic Type and Style:

When asked about the Viggo family, anyone capable of answering would likely call them “violence incarnate.” With a wide array of devastating elemental spells under their belt and the unbridled fury characteristic of the Viggos, a common coming-of-age ritual for teenagers of the family is fighting an entire Soldoran platoon as a training exercise. Alone.

Many of the Viggos choose to focus their skills in a particular element or technique, and Marjorie is no exception. Born as the third child of four in a generation of prodigies, Marjorie took an immediate liking to lightning and water magic. Luckily for her her parents were both specialists in one or the other, and thanks to the training they put her through, Marjorie became a very capable warrior with each element.

This is especially evident in her ability to use both elements at once, conjuring sun-shrouding storms in clear blue skies. Much of the family have high expectations for her growth, and more so if she could ever learn to work with her elder brothers and their respective elements.

Noble Status & Family Background

Over the last six generations, the Viggo family has become one of the most respected families, despite not being one of the oldest. The family has ruled the March southeast of Avera with great pride. The newest head of the family, Marquis Arthur Viggo II, gained control of the Viggo border land in the midst of the Vestian-Soldoran War after the death of his father upon the battlefield. Of all of the families who participated in the recent war, the VIggos were ones to be remembered. Having been on the front lines against the Vestian Empire, they were considered to be the first line of defense and proved themselves capable of such a task. True to their nickname, the Viggos ran amok on the battlefield, destroying whatever Vestian crossed their path, albeit not without many losses within their army and family alike.

The current rulers of the March, Marquis Arthur Viggo II and his wife, the Marquise Cecily Venilia-Viggo, have proven to be quite the formidable duo in Soldoro. They have both shown to hold great skill and power on their respective battlefields. The Marquis has proven to hold himself quite well in the midst of war, both for his strength, but also his will to finish what needs to be done. The Marquise is not too different in this respect, though, she is known best for her role in politics. Their eldest son, Lamont, is currently a Baron on the western side of the March, whereas the second oldest, Callum, is currently taking up a role as one of the military leaders under the main Viggo branch. Together, they have garnered the respect of not only their own citizens, but of the surrounding nobles as well.

Though the Viggo’s domain is known for being one of the more well defended Marches, it also has a strong textile and clothing industry, often thought to even rival the nearby city of Avera. The March itself has a small mix of terrain due to its size, and although the Western side can be considered swampy and difficult to maneuver through, the Eastern side hosts many of the villages and towns. Many of their needed material are imported from other families, such as the Damontefeltro, due to their otherwise large focus on military and industrial might.

The chance of having their daughter taken as heir to the throne has sparked a great interest in the Marquise, and to a lesser extent, the Marquis. What could possibly happen if the Viggo's gained more influence of the Soldoro Kingdom?

Appearance:

When one looks upon Marjorie, they see exactly what is expected of the daughter of a Marquis. Marjorie makes the most of her 5'8'' height by standing with clean elegance and confidence, worthy of her position. She is known to take pride in her long, stormy grey hair, often stylizing it in ways that go with the situation at hand. No matter the style, her hair compliments her dark-blue eyes and fair skin well. Being south of Avera, Marjorie has access to some of the best fabrics and clothing in Soldoro and her wardrobe proves such. Most of the time, you are more than likely to find Marjorie's lithe body in an elegant dress. However, that does not mean she isn't one to put on a combat outfit when needed. Many cannot tell which style of outfit fits her character the most.

Personality and Background:

Born as the third child of the current Viggo family, Marjorie, not unlike her elder brothers, was hailed as a prodigy from a young age. Having chosen to teach their children themselves, Arthur and Cecily Viggo hoped to instill any knowledge that would be important for the Viggo family in the future. To the pair, nothing less than perfection was acceptable and it was quickly drilled into the minds of their children. Though both parents’ intensive training hosted many similarities, Marjorie found her father to be the more harsh of the two. As difficult and brutal as the lightning magic the man taught was, Arthur proved to be much worse.

In the eyes of the man, emotions such as sadness and kindness were only important in the court and were otherwise seen as a sign of weakness. Were Marjorie found crying, the young girl was reprimanded. If she were to ever fail in her training, the failure was to be dealt with. Early on, there were many nights she was sent to bed hungry or bruised.

When her grandfather had been killed on the battlefield, she was ordered to keep her emotions in check, even at his funeral. Arthur described his father as weak and pressed Marjorie to be of the same mind. However, her as-of-yet unchecked feelings continued to put the two at odds.

“It’ll get you killed,” he always said. Marjorie understood some of what her father’s words meant, but not why he considered her grandfather weak as he did. Nor could she see why he thought having, much less showing, emotions could only end so tragically.

One day, the time came that she failed to grasp one of the concepts being taught to her during training, and the young Marjorie's soured expression was derided and punished. Arthur's distinct lack of empathy when executing that punishment only left Marjorie confused, hurt, and slowly pushed into denying her emotions as much as possible—at least in front of him.

She found her youngest sibling, Coretta, to be the only solace in her life, her elder brothers far older and more absorbed in Arthur's teachings. Marjorie spent what little amount of time she wasn’t studying or training with the younger girl, telling her stories and showing what skills or tricks she had learned. Caring for and playing with Coretta was Marjorie’s one true escape from her father’s iron fist. Unfortunately, Coretta was a sickly child and was bedridden when Marjorie was twelve.

Marjorie and her mother were the only other people in the room when Coretta’s time had finally come and were thus the only people to hear the little girl thanking Marjorie for loving and playing with her so much, one last time. At the time, the words only brought sadness, and despite her father’s training and even her mother’s own stoicism, she found herself sobbing at the dead girl’s side without pause. She sat at the girl’s side for hours, staying long past her mother, and until her father arrived.

“Pathetic.”

Marjorie lost a big part of her own life—one of few reasons she had to smile and push through all the pains of training every day, the only person she wanted to use her talents for. Her mother seemed to understand, but her father drove a stake through her heart that day. Marjorie had never gotten over this day and with the words of her sister, something inside her clicked.

The war soon ended and without her sister, Marjorie dove ever deeper into her training, its intensity having elevated with her parents’ newfound free time. Marjorie continued to hold her sister’s words close as she pressed onward and over the next several years she developed her skills further, honing her water and lightning magics until she was on par with her brothers in their own elements.

Much like her family’s own nickname, the fitting title of Stormchild was quickly associated with the now young woman. However, an expansion of Marjorie’s political abilities was also expected.

Though Marjorie never attained the complete control of her emotions that her father expected of her, she did manage to show at least some political potential. In court, Marjorie maintains a honest visage, showcasing her respect for political roles both below and above her own family’s station. Due to her mother’s advisement, she is up-to-date with the political climate of Soldoro, giving her the opportunity to participate in some of the general discussions most often seen in court.

Unfortunately, the young girl’s negotiation skills are not quite fine-tuned. Though she can formulate strong plans, she is lost on implementation. Marjorie has been known to become flustered, or even, aggravated when participating in some of these conversations, usually requiring her to step outside and calm down before moving forward. She is considerably more open to opposing opinions and possible revisement than her father, but she too possesses a very matter-of-fact, if not blunt, disposition when making decisions. She often believes there to be one final outcome for any situation, though the process to get to this result can be worked out when possible.

When another son of a Marquis brought up the possibility of small border skirmishes, Marjorie’s instant thought and solution was to simply destroy the enemy. It seemed like an easy decision to her at the time, not that all of her peers agreed with her. They had managed to skirt their way quickly through the rest of the discussion, though Marjorie was left feeling embarrassed.

Having only dealt with the members of her own family and their servants for most of her life, the young woman has issues conversing with others in normal settings. When topics of no political meaning arise, Marjorie’s less than stellar. Her father’s training and warnings had made her paranoid of what others were trying to accomplish. She has scanned over many a person, attempting to decipher any verbal or visual queues that could give away their purpose. This habit has caused some issues for Marjorie, but has tended to subside as the conversation moves forward.

Relationships have not been something that come easy to the Viggo, and as such, Marjorie is hesitant of making friends, even with those she considers allies. Her initial meetings with other, after overcoming her slight paranoia, often end with the young woman’s social ineptness taking the best of her, whether it be from her bluntness or her sometimes obvious paranoia-filled onceovers that scare them away.

When a Baron’s son once approached the girl for a simple chat and, later, a dance, Marjorie had found her way stumbling through the conversation and the dance, but quickly took her leave, flustered. Out of the room before he realized what had happened. By the time she had returned, she was still unable to look at him properly, embarrassed from her previous performance.

Fortunately, Marjorie does have some things going for her. When in Avilla for the Soldoran summers, Marjorie makes it a point to participate in the occasional charity event hosted by the kingship, refreshed by the smiling faces that remind her of her sister’s.

When news of the King's decree made it to their March, Marjorie's parents were quite eager to send one of their children to Avilla. Although Arthur wished he could send his sons, the eldest, Lamont, was already a Baron on the Western side of the March and the younger, Callum, had no mind for politics. Marjorie was the last child, and despite her opposing tendencies, Arthur knew she, as the heir, would suffice to allow his power to grow.

Marjorie, on the other hand, saw this as a time to prove herself not only to everyone else, but to herself as well. She was fairly interested in the idea of a “Grand Tournament”, but also considered what it would mean to be the heir to the throne, and eventually Queen. She was confident that this opportunity would allow her to surpass her parents, and if things went well, that the fear of her father’s iron fist would be no more.

Old June 24th, 2018 (2:19 PM). Edited June 26th, 2018 by Daydream.
                          Boo.

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Quest View Post
                          Here's my character! Hope you like her.
                          Marjorie is accepted!

And here's our Discord server link: https://discord.gg/8WMm6da

Quote:
                          Is it lazy, ingenious, or practical, I don't know. But she is done! In a google doc :))

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Uho2AYrWTW4f-atsp3-MxN2gV8zsiVbHnYh9yj6BHIU/edit?usp=sharing
                          Rane is accepted!

Quick Reply