The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking
ASM & Hex How to tell Fire red rom to use more than 2 bytes for Pokemon data in Hex code?

ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Old 1 Week Ago (3:54 AM). Edited 1 Week Ago by chazfoot.

Hey all, an odd question. I've made some progress with evolutions, the game now supports 8 evolutions per Pokemon, using 6 bytes to store the data - first 2 for evo type, next 2 for level/item index/last 2 for Pokemon data. I was planning on hex editing all of this data, so far I have managed to test it successfully with Bulbasaur through to Charizard but a thought has occurred to me...

I'm using Petuuuhhh's expanded rombase, so there are more than 0xFFFF Pokemon in the game, 0xFFFF is Snover. So how do I tell the game to use more than 2 bytes of data to read a pokemon's index number?

Spoiler:
    EXAMPLE - So the hex data for Bulbasuar's evolutions, found in my rom at 0xB2BC14 would look like this;
    04 00 10 00 02 00. 04 00 to tell the game it evolves by reaching a certain level, 10 00 to tell the game what level (reverse the bytes - 0x0010 = DEC 16) and 02 00 for the index number of the evolution (0x0002 = Ivysaur);
    as per this very helpful post; https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=80204&highlight=8+evolutions

Surely by this method the game will only recognise evolutions for Pokemon up to and excluding Snover. Do I need to switch all the Pokemon around to put all evolved forms within the first 512 index numbers, because that would take forever! Is there an easier way to tell the rom to just read 3 bytes, not 2?

Thanks for any help guys, you tha best xxxxxx
    Old 1 Week Ago (7:48 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by chazfoot View Post
      I'm using Petuuuhhh's expanded rombase, so there are more than 0xFFFF Pokemon in the game, 0xFFFF is Snover. So how do I tell the game to use more than 2 bytes of data to read a pokemon's index number?
      I'm not familiar with this rombase, but I'm skeptical that it has over 0xFFFF pokemon. That's more than 65000 pokemon.
      Old 1 Week Ago (3:09 PM).

Ok then I'm definitely dumb and hexing wrong, I assumed 0XFFFF = 0XFF + 0XFF I guess you mulitiply instead?
        Old 1 Week Ago (3:13 PM).

Wow I did some research and I'm super dumb lol XD Thanks dood xxxxx

Quick Reply