• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity Daily: Daily Plans for 2018

bobandbill

one more time
Years
As the year draws to a close, let's look to next year and see what we can do on Daily. This thread is for providing the Daily staff team feedback both on articles we have done in the past two years, and articles you're like to see made. If you think something would be interesting to read, mention it! I'll note that these ideas don't have to be ones you want to write (a reminder that anyone can write articles for Daily) - knowing what you guys want to read is the point of this thread.

To help you, here's a summary of discussions recently had on what we may do more of. In short - I would like Daily to get out more content that isn't just news articles, as I feel that we're having too large a fraction of our articles falling into that sector. More opinion-based articles, reactions, analysis and also just silly/fun articles, plus fan work features (e.g. fan games, art, stories) and maybe an ambitious re-introduction of the species analysis article series. Give your feedback please!

Opinion Articles
Reactions and thoughts on the games, episodes of the anime, etc. For instance we may be moving away from anime recap articles (partly because we also keep falling behind) and towards quicker summaries of multiple episodes and general thoughts about arcs, etc. We can have more opinion articles about say new features in USUM, etc.

Analysis articles
Analysis of the story/etc in games (e.g. will do one on GSC, Rivvon plans to do some on 5th gen games) is one direction. Maybe music analysis/discussion articles? I'd be keen on doing some of those myself.

Fun articles
See e.g. Alolan Husbands guide, the Christmas article Rivvon also did, etc. We had old series like Blaine's Facts that'd be nice to dredge back up too.

Somewhat more serious ones can be done too, e.g. articles discussing things from the spinoff titles (e.g. Dragon had some ideas on Colosseum/XD). Other ideas that come to mind include... say, a discussion on capitalisation/plurals/etc of Pokemon names.

Guides
Still the best performing articles in terms of views so naturally we should keep doing more. Any more wanted for USUM? Meanwhile Crystal is released on the Virtual Console next month, so an update to the Shiny guide and maybe an article on what's different about Crystal would be useful.

Species analysis
We started Daily off with this series and then it never moved past Eevee. =( I would like to bring these sort of articles back (summary of the Pokemon and interesting facts, fanworks roundup which feature the Pokemon, TCG article, nicknames articles - which did well with views and I believe would for most other Pokemon), etc. See e.g. some articles listed here https://daily.pokecommunity.com/tag/eevee/

A very ambitious version of the above is to make a secondary Pokedex project with its own category on the PC Daily site - maybe this would be a better way to encourage others to contribute? This will need more discussion.

-----------------

Have at it, and happy new year!

Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Once I get a new laptop (tomorrow hopefully) and finish up my college applications, I have 4 TCG articles planned for the first two months of next year:

Deck Test: Fight Alone (in progress, intended release ~4th January if all goes well)
Set Review: Ultra Prism (intended release: the week after my prerelease, which means some poin in the last two weeks of January.
Deck Test: Pumpkin Spice Motors (yes, I am calling it that. Intended release first Friday of February)
Deck Test: ????? (There are like 3 decks I want to Test after ULP releases, so this depends on what cards I get. Aiming for 2nd half of February here)

Last edited:
Years
I've not been doing much writing but depending on the mon we do for analysis I can possibly recreate the Eevee article. Especially if we decide to focus on another mon that's popular but not very good.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
How about a 'what if...' series? Articles that could perhaps explain scenarios from the writer's point of view "what if events" from the games and anime or whatever they choose; for example, what if Ash became the Kalos champion? Or, what if each of the evil teams actually succeeded in their plans, etc. Could be fun!

Maybe a writer's article about their top 5 or 10 Pokémon games / anime and why they're favourites? Could provide opinions about those.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
The gen 5 literary analysis articles are definitely coming. I may be able to do a SM/USUM literary comparison as well if people are interested in that (I know my opinion on the story of SM can be seen as rather outlier).

I want to pick back up with my food article series. Sadly the Hoenn Ramen article was happening at around the time that my life started getting thrown out of whack so that wasn't completed, but I still have the article plan, images, and recipe so I could possibly finish it. Once that's done, I (or others, it doesn't have to be a series exclusive to me) could come up with more recipes to make.

Husband articles will be made as needed. Husbandology can't be forced.

TheRisingSean

Back, and better than ever
Years
  • Age 20
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 5, 2023
The idea of a "Pokemon of the week" sounds pretty cool.
We could get one article a week where it revolves around one pokemon, it could give us is stats, movesets, best natures, how to use it competetivley and trivia about the pokemon, it could also have its anime features. in a nutshell i mean just overall and possibly unknown information about a different pokemon every week

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Species analysis seems like it is aimed at kids more than teens that frequent PC. How to care for your eevee and the name rather stuff seem kinda corny to me. The other stuff is really cool.just maybe add in more things like community contributed things like art drawn by PC members, stories, things like that. Showcase the love the community has for the Pokemon rather than the other stuff. That's just my opinion anyways but not my cup of milo for the more 'creative' parts of species analysis sorry.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I've not been doing much writing but depending on the mon we do for analysis I can possibly recreate the Eevee article. Especially if we decide to focus on another mon that's popular but not very good.
Sounds good. That was a good article you did on it imo. On that note, the next line would be the Solosis line as we had a start on that last year: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369144
How about a 'what if...' series? Articles that could perhaps explain scenarios from the writer's point of view "what if events" from the games and anime or whatever they choose; for example, what if Ash became the Kalos champion? Or, what if each of the evil teams actually succeeded in their plans, etc. Could be fun!
That sounds fun and creative to me. "What if Ash actually won" haha. Evil teams having won also reminds me of the Episode RR bit in USUM. :B
Maybe a writer's article about their top 5 or 10 Pokémon games / anime and why they're favourites? Could provide opinions about those.
That'd also be good to have if people are keen on writing about such topics. I'd be for it.
The gen 5 literary analysis articles are definitely coming. I may be able to do a SM/USUM literary comparison as well if people are interested in that (I know my opinion on the story of SM can be seen as rather outlier).

I want to pick back up with my food article series. Sadly the Hoenn Ramen article was happening at around the time that my life started getting thrown out of whack so that wasn't completed, but I still have the article plan, images, and recipe so I could possibly finish it. Once that's done, I (or others, it doesn't have to be a series exclusive to me) could come up with more recipes to make.

Husband articles will be made as needed. Husbandology can't be forced.
I haven't actually discussed with your your thoughts on SM/USUM, we should chat. Anyways yes to your literary analysis articles, and food article series would be good to revive in general.
The idea of a "Pokemon of the week" sounds pretty cool.
We could get one article a week where it revolves around one pokemon, it could give us is stats, movesets, best natures, how to use it competetivley and trivia about the pokemon, it could also have its anime features. in a nutshell i mean just overall and possibly unknown information about a different pokemon every week
I would refrain from naming it 'Pokemon of the week' given they take some time to make, haha.
Species analysis seems like it is aimed at kids more than teens that frequent PC. How to care for your eevee and the name rather stuff seem kinda corny to me. The other stuff is really cool.just maybe add in more things like community contributed things like art drawn by PC members, stories, things like that. Showcase the love the community has for the Pokemon rather than the other stuff. That's just my opinion anyways but not my cup of milo for the more 'creative' parts of species analysis sorry.
Scattered response from the chat last night:
- Agreed on more showcasing fanworks, and that would remain in this project.
- Those articles were not aimed at kids more than other people in particular. =p Maybe 'corny' for some but fun to write (given I was the author for both =p), and an example of other creative works I'd like to see more of, rather than just showcasing creative works. Also, the nicknames article for Eevee was the most viewed article of the bunch and hence really should remain a staple.

In short - yes to featuring fan works, and I feel there's plenty of reason for the creative articles as well.
Quick one and will be adding more: 1000% interested in contributing/developing the Species Analysis. We can tweak how that looks and design it moreso for things like competitive battling and whatnot, kind of similar to Serebii but with more trivia.

Will be fully organising and hopefully pushing out a consistent 'Rabinov takes on Showdown' series, now that the USUM meta is settling.

Definitely need an opinion piece on Colossem/XD and also how potentially the new game could be its spiritual successor; link the two?

More will come when I'm not finishing lunch.
Sounds good to me, and keen to hear more thoughts!

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Also, the nicknames article for Eevee was the most viewed article of the bunch and hence really should remain a staple.

Can we have like a recurring name rater segment please? As in, more often than once every 2 years. I'd totally be down to run it myself if need be. Nicknames are so fun.

Back