The PokéCommunity Forums Community Square Feedback & Support
The Staff Feedback Thread

Feedback & Support All things related to PokéCommunity, from feedback and ideas to support and questions.

Old December 25th, 2017 (1:45 AM).

Nature: Sassy
merry christmas to all pc staff you saints
Old December 27th, 2017 (5:57 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilChameleon View Post
I like how the site goes down for multiple hours and not even so much as a peep from the powers that be as to why. The only communication we get here is when someone gets promoted to staff, as if it's some earth shattering event.
Were you wondering more about this specific instance, or was it more in general?
Old December 27th, 2017 (7:39 AM).
Just call me EC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nah View Post
Were you wondering more about this specific instance, or was it more in general?
I think it was more about that specific instance, because I've never seen a 500 error pop up on the site. Server is busy messages, fine, that says it all, but when a 500 error pops up, and the site comes back later with little to no communication as to what happened (especially since the 500 error is one of the most vague in the business), it's a little jarring.
Old December 28th, 2017 (8:01 PM). Edited December 28th, 2017 by Her.

I really don't think some brief server downtime is something to make a forum announcement about - if it's something longer than a day, instead of the intermittent downtime over three/four hours that it was, then sure. But given PC's propensity towards downtime, it's not something people should think is out of the blue unless it stretches past the usual periods of server downtime.
In the end, this was barely longer than the scheduled server backups we have twice a month.

As for speed in announcements - I think the fact that it was Christmas Day for many is something to remember. Let's keep some perspective.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (6:02 PM).
coolcoolcool

Nature: Relaxed
Hullo

I think transparency between staff and the memberbase has been an issue for a long time. e.g. with this thread in this forum that had a few short term and long term suggestions but nothing has happened three weeks later and no final response or resolution was decided on (https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=413004). Or the "Moving Forward" ownership thread where some questions were asked or suggestions raised but again no resolution.

Now I of course understand that some things need further discussion within the staff, or won't be prioritised, etc. But to improve transparency, maybe after every suggestion that is made there can be a summary of the actions staff will take, and an approx timeline.

e.g. for the renaming the board one, the staff member taking ownership over the suggestion could make a post explaining the way forward, for example -
Quote:
Thanks etc

In the short-term we'll add a splash, and over the next three weeks we'll work on investigating the feasibility of the redirect feature. At the end of September we'll come back to you all on whether this is a feasible solution, and can then implement in
which has a clear summary of what actions will be taken by who and by when.
Then when the deadline comes, the staff member can come back and update everyone on the progress of the change.

transparency comes with accountability, and i think this sort of system can bring both. so staff are accountable to the community for the changes that may be made, so that members are confident they are being listened to and their suggestions are being heard, and everyone is clear on ways forward.

lmk if this doesn't make sense, thinking out loud.

Old 3 Weeks Ago (8:12 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
snip
Just giving my two cents. I agree with all of this
Old 3 Weeks Ago (9:47 PM).

Nature: Adamant
Thirded.
I won't say I think the situation is as dire as you seem to, but I think anything that holds us accountable for what we say isn't necessarily a bad thing. Might not be quite as exact as you'd like in practice, but I don't think hurts us to at least keep people updated.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (5:18 AM).

Basic idea is fine, but to comment on the two specific examples Josh mentioned in case people were wondering:

1) There hasn't really been any talk about that particular suggestion outside of the thread afaik, and unless it's being discussed in admin-land, the conversation is dead and probably not coming back to life given that Jake doesn't seem too keen on doing anything in regards to it.

2) Staff has provided answers to what we can in the third Moving Forward thread, but the all the rest are entirely on Pomador to answer. I'm pretty sure that they are aware that there are questions for them to answer, but if people really want us to I guess we could poke them and see if they respond.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (3:40 PM).
Banned

Nature: Hasty
I wish we could get a more diverse group of administrators, to be honest. A group who isn't all friends outside the site.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (3:54 PM).

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enpatsu Shakugan View Post
I wish we could get a more diverse group of administrators, to be honest. A group who isn't all friends outside the site.
May I ask for clarification? Are you concerned that the admins might be all like-minded?
Old 3 Weeks Ago (3:57 PM).
Banned

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
May I ask for clarification? Are you concerned that the admins might be all like-minded?
I've seen firsthand what can happen when those in power (especially online) are all together. It's very unfair to average users. Not saying I think the PC admins are capable of that same level of corruption, but I don't like the possibility of it even happening at all. Who's to stop them if they did up and decide to run it as their own person playground, after all.

Personally, I feel there should be many mods, but only maybe around 3 admins, and none of them should be friends with each other outside the site. That'd be my ideal setup.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:08 PM).

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
I've seen firsthand what can happen when those in power (especially online) are all together. It's very unfair to average users. Not saying I think the PC admins are capable of that same level of corruption, but I don't like the possibility of it even happening at all. Who's to stop them if they did up and decide to run it as their own person playground, after all.
I don't know how I can properly dispel your worries, but our staff were picked very selectively, and I think we're pretty good and strict when it comes to following our staff guidelines. o:

I really don't think anyone in our staff would have the gall to abuse their power as it were, but if they did, then they would be dealt with accordingly. If you're unconvinced that any decision or action in the forums we made wasn't the wisest or most fair then tell us, and we'll be glad to discuss it with you. :]
Old 3 Weeks Ago (5:04 PM).
Spooky Boy!

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Stop making points I agree with XD

But on to the matter. Its one thing when they are mods, easier to deal with, easier to fire. I have seen it many times (mostly on discord) where the admins decide to be a butt a lot and give no psyducks, while the owner doesn't care about what they are doing and sees them as a friend and never does anything. Wouldnt mind if they are friends on discord and PC, but sometimes people meet irl and get too close, which sometimes ends up badly for everyone else and ruins the place. Not saying its 100% determined for this place (maybe about 10% tbh) but the chance that i would happen could actually happen.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (5:37 PM).
a.i.ngel

stop being friends problem solved

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (5:42 PM).
(≧∇≦)/

Nature: Timid
For the record, people who work together are always bound to befriend each other to some extent. That's true for almost every situation where you're put in a position needing you to more closely interact with a smaller group. There is absolutely no way we can have a group of admins who do not talk to much less not know their team to some extent. It's just not possible.

Quote:
Wouldnt mind if they are friends on discord and PC, but sometimes people meet irl and get too close, which sometimes ends up badly for everyone else and ruins the place.
I have not once met any admin irl and rarely talk to them on a personal level. Sure, we may talk about PC often and occasionally personal interests, but that's the extent of it most of the time. My closest online friends are a mix of regular members, non-admins, and...people that aren't even on PC to begin with. Some of them don't even enjoy the community anymore. I can guarantee you that admins being super close and tight knit is a complete exaggeration. Whether you choose to believe me is on you, but I'm not lying when I say any of this.

Quote:
I have seen it many times (mostly on discord) where the admins decide to be a butt a lot and give no psyducks, while the owner doesn't care about what they are doing and sees them as a friend and never does anything.
Feel free to private message me any examples if you'd like, since I wasn't aware that was a thing. If you or anyone else feels ganged up on or treated unfairly in any way by anyone, please let me know (assuming you feel comfortable). It depresses me that some people believe things are bad enough to think so negatively about the team.

pair family twin mal llsif bandori ffxiv art
Old 3 Weeks Ago (5:57 PM).

Nature: Adamant
Quote:

Personally, I feel there should be many mods, but only maybe around 3 admins, and none of them should be friends with each other outside the site. That'd be my ideal setup.
I don't think this is an unreasonable concern personally because we all know that staffers, not necessarily our staffers, can go rogue and do some pretty mukty things. I think that trying to keep everyone from being friends isn't actually practical though. You work with people cohesively long enough and you're going to develop a relationship that goes beyond a curt nod in the hallway. It's pretty natural. That being said, I will try to dispel some of your fears.

Firstly, our admin team do get along very well, but I don't think they're as close as you think they are. To the best of my knowledge, none of the current admin team have ever met each other off of PC and even online a lot of them run in different circles. You'll sever see Laslow hanging out with the RPers like Rika, Sylphiel doesn't hang out with the competitive battlers like Castform and all that. They get along well, but thankfully, we aren't run by some suffocating clique. I'll get to a bit more in my response to FlameChrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameChrome View Post
Stop making points I agree with XD

But on to the matter. Its one thing when they are mods, easier to deal with, easier to fire. I have seen it many times (mostly on discord) where the admins decide to be a butt a lot and give no psyducks, while the owner doesn't care about what they are doing and sees them as a friend and never does anything. Wouldnt mind if they are friends on discord and PC, but sometimes people meet irl and get too close, which sometimes ends up badly for everyone else and ruins the place. Not saying its 100% determined for this place (maybe about 10% tbh) but the chance that i would happen could actually happen.
I obviously can't say too much on the matter, but admins/staffers have had falling outs before in the past. It's obviously a very infrequent thing, before everyone panics, but it has happened. PC is still standing. One of the advantages of having the staff structure we do, is that if someone does go rogue then they can be pushed out and we can keep on running PC to be the same comfortable and fun place it always has been.

I think the concerns you've brought up are far from being invalid, but I want you to rest assured that the current admin team is actually one of, if not the most, diverse admin group we have and the chances of them turning into a malevolent aristocracy are extremely low.

Quick Reply