• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan)

Teanji

Wielder of the Sol Blade!
Years
I've only seen the first two Episodes, waiting on a friend to get their internet back before watching more. Honestly, I wasn't totally hooked and found the giant wall a little off-putting, I mean humans were running for their lives from Giants and then suddenly they've build a gigantic series of walls and can self-sustain life inside of them..

What's the story got going for it, to keep me interested? I'd be happy to hear some arguments in its favour (though without spoiling Episode 3+ please!).

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
I've only seen the first two Episodes, waiting on a friend to get their internet back before watching more. Honestly, I wasn't totally hooked and found the giant wall a little off-putting, I mean humans were running for their lives from Giants and then suddenly they've build a gigantic series of walls and can self-sustain life inside of them..

What's the story got going for it, to keep me interested? I'd be happy to hear some arguments in its favour (though without spoiling Episode 3+ please!).

How can you be not hooked? :(

Well the location where they built the walls is just perfect. It has trees (lots of them), many rivers it also has a lake, and the place has a great amount of natural gas in it making life really perfect.

If you just watch episode 3 you will know it and you will be hooked more to watch the next episodes and maybe even read the manga like what happened to me.

Teanji

Wielder of the Sol Blade!
Years
How can you be not hooked? :(

Well the location where they built the walls is just perfect. It has trees (lots of them), many rivers it also has a lake, and the place has a great amount of natural gas in it making life really perfect.

If you just watch episode 3 you will know it and you will be hooked more to watch the next episodes and maybe even read the manga like what happened to me.
I suppose I should overlook the wall, considering I've seen far more far-fetched things in other Anime xD. That said, I'm definitely going to watch the entire show, I just wasn't grabbed like everybody else seems to be, at least with the first two Episodes. Looking forward to the rest!

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Is this a shounen? Seinen? Is the gore level comparable to one in bersker? Because stuff I've seen in the bersek manga has yet to be surpassed by any manga in terms of shock value. That manga, although more than 20 years old, made me read it for 6-7 hours per day for 3 days.

Is the story in this good? Or does it merely rely on gore and shock value to get attention? How long is the manga? Is it complete?

Sorry about all the questions. This anime intrigues me. Hope it doesn't turn out like SAO - all hype no substance. It was a decent anime. The SnK OP was awesome, though.

Its run in a shounen magazine but it I feel like it straddles the line between the two demographics (but ultimately tending towards shounen). It does rely on high-action and 'teamwork' like a regular shounen but it has an incredible emphasis on storytelling and world building like seinen. The line between shounen and seinen can be pretty damn blurry at times so I wouldn't put too much stock in trying to sort it out when there are decent arguments for both sides of the debate. The only thing that can be agreed upon is that it isn't for young children.

Well if you want to compare a series' gore to Bezerker then you're going to come up on the losing side every time haha. So far the anime hasn't been nearly as graphic as the manga (camera cuts away, blood splatters etc) but its is certainly more violent and bloody than your average anime. I'm guessing but this is to help push DVD/ Blu-Ray sales so it isn't restricted to 18+ but it is slightly disappointing nontheless. While I'm not going to post any examples (cuz gore) I can confirm that in the manga there are multiple instances of people being decapitated, amputated, squished into the ground, being killed by centripetal force and having horses thrown at them. Its amazing the multitude of ways the human body can be destroyed, isn't it? :3c

Well there's a slight debate about the story but from most people I've talked to they've agreed that its good. The writer really loves to keep people guessing so there are a lot of questions flying around that need answering even to this day. There are a few sub-plots but it mainly runs with the main story and from my opinion every chapter has either been focused on advancing the story or building the world with little to no filler in between. The writer has been criticised by some for appearing to pull some resolutions out of his ass, but most people can counter this by referencing earlier segments of the story that show a great deal of foreshadowing with hindsight (notably when it comes to the female deviant arc).

Definitely read the first couple of chapters or watch the current episodes if you're even slightly interested though. I've enjoyed the thrill-ride and I'm eagerly awaiting for for the next episode. It has my recommendation if that means anything :P

Also, how could it turn into SAO when it has Sasha?

ShashaSmile2_zps3c0cdefc.gif

Last edited:

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Okay, your response made me give it a shot, Fuji. I'm glad I did. It deserves all the credit it's getting. First episode was intense. Animation was top notch and so was the voice acting. Really wish to see what happens next. :O

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
I found out a few hours ago that there are many parodies about te OP of SNK. LOL

Attack On Indian was the best, The Pingu one is secondd with the walrus looking a lot like Commander Pixis, third is this japanese parody of the intro hahaha... xD

Here is it if you wanna see it. :3

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
I found out a few hours ago that there are many parodies about te OP of SNK. LOL

Attack On Indian was the best, The Pingu one is secondd with the walrus looking a lot like Commander Pixis, third is this japanese parody of the intro hahaha... xD

Here is it if you wanna see it. :3

What did I just watch... :'D Oh well.. Cant wait for ep 6...

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
NO, IT WILL NOT TURN LIKE SAO. THIS ANIME IS AS AWESOME AS ME. C:
Ouch... anime is doomed.

Is this a shounen? Seinen? Is the gore level comparable to one in bersker? Because stuff I've seen in the bersek manga has yet to be surpassed by any manga in terms of shock value. That manga, although more than 20 years old, made me read it for 6-7 hours per day for 3 days.
There's NOTHING and I repeat... NOTHING that can be compared to Berserk in gore-levels =D

Oh yeah, that's why I said it goes with everything, Jaeger :D

Anyways I also finished the manga and... just wtf... :D

derozio

Years
Haha yeah, berserk's stuff can't be compared to this. Doubt even the manga goes as far as berserk. Quite a lot of **** in it is just a little too messed up. Plus it doesn't even stop at gore. There are other...horrific scenes as well. -shrugs- But I love it. Got an amazing plot and really likeable characters. Twists are wtf worthy but all have some amazing subtle foreshadowing. <3

anyway, on-topic: I heard people were getting the feels/being teary eyed in the very first episode. Which scene gave you dem feels? I personally felt the last scene about erin's mom was intended to be quite emotionally moving. It was really well animated. But since we didn't have much connection with the character in question/she didn't get much screen time, it sorta failed to get to me. I'm not really liking Erin much, either. Mikasa, on the other hand, I love. Dunno why.

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years

Ouch... anime is doomed.

It Is! :3

Haha yeah, berserk's stuff can't be compared to this. Doubt even the manga goes as far as berserk. Quite a lot of **** in it is just a little too messed up. Plus it doesn't even stop at gore. There are other...horrific scenes as well. -shrugs- But I love it. Got an amazing plot and really likeable characters. Twists are wtf worthy but all have some amazing subtle foreshadowing. <3

anyway, on-topic: I heard people were getting the feels/being teary eyed in the very first episode. Which scene gave you dem feels? I personally felt the last scene about erin's mom was intended to be quite emotionally moving. It was really well animated. But since we didn't have much connection with the character in question/she didn't get much screen time, it sorta failed to get to me. I'm not really liking Erin much, either. Mikasa, on the other hand, I love. Dunno why.

It's Eren not Erin. :3

When Eren's mother got eaten by that Titan I was laughing sarcastically relieved that the titans are not real hahaha... xD

Have you watched episode 5? If you do you'll get more shocked in what'll happen. :3

derozio

Years
Like I said, I've only seen one episode. Intend to watch another today. Perhaps later. Series definitely has my interest now.

Also, I really think only the big 'red' fella should be called a titan. :p The other small ones' designs were, in my opinion, not so impressive and they were very small compared to that huge guy. Small ones should be called giants or something. lol

also why didn't the big guy just bring down the whole damn wall? He was easily capable of doing so but the only thing he did choose to do was open up a hole. That's sorta weird. :p

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
Like I said, I've only seen one episode. Intend to watch another today. Perhaps later. Series definitely has my interest now.

Also, I really think only the big 'red' fella should be called a titan. :p The other small ones' designs were, in my opinion, not so impressive and they were very small compared to that huge guy. Small ones should be called giants or something. lol

also why didn't the big guy just bring down the whole damn wall? He was easily capable of doing so but the only thing he did choose to do was open up a hole. That's sorta weird. :p

No, all giants are known as titans. :3 And titans are classified with their heights.

There are 3-5 Meter titans, 7 Meter Titans, 15 Meter Titans, and etc... :3

And that huge guy is the Colossal Titan (So technically it is a titan :p) and it can't destroy the wall at all. It can only destroy the gate in the wall in order for other titans to get in the town.

Spoiler:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years

I agree that there wasn't much time to be particularly invested in their mother. I think the scene is primarily aiming to give the audience an idea as to how grotesque the titans are (I mean, these are freakin' creepy) as well give reason to the idea of revenge/ helplessness in Erin. I knew the mother's death was coming and I just didn't want to watch it. I mean, that particular titan was just so damn happy to take a bite out of her it was just... ugh. And yes, Mikasa is amazing :3c

One thing that I've noticed is that all of the seiyuu have shown themselves to be pretty good screamers which is awesome. Armin's scream at the end of episode 5 resonates with me particularly for some reason. Maybe its the epic chime music that sets it all up and lends an already important scene some extra power but whatever :P

Last edited:

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
I agree that there wasn't much time to be particularly invested in their mother. I think the scene is primarily aiming to give the audience an idea as to how grotesque the titans are (I mean, this is freakin' creepy) as well give reason to the idea of revenge/ helplessness in Erin. I knew the mother's death was coming and I just didn't want to watch it. I mean, that particular titan was just so damn happy to take a bite out of her it was just... ugh. And yes, Mikasa is awesome :3c

One thing that I've noticed is that all of the seiyuu have shown themselves to be pretty good screamers which is awesome. Armin's scream at the end of episode 5 resonates with me particularly for some reason. Maybe its the epic chime music that sets it all up and lends an already important scene some extra power but whatever :P

Why the heck do titans have so many teeth and have no canines? :/

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I can only say this...
Marina, Marina, Marina ;)

No, all giants are known as titans. :3 And titans are classified with their heights.

And that huge guy is the Colossal Titan (So technically it is a titan :p) and it can't destroy the wall at all. It can only destroy the gate in the wall in order for other titans to get in the town.

Spoiler:
They should be called Eotens! :D
Eoten is the best term xD

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015

Spoiler:

I think he knows they're all called titans but thinks that the smaller ones shouldn't be.

I read that there is a good reason for why the titans do what they do from the manga, didn't spoil myself as to what it is so I'm excited and hope it makes it into the anime. Without that the show would lack depth imo - especially when they explained in the latest episode how they only target humans. If there was no explanation as to why it would just feel like they were made-up villains to move the plot forward.

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years

They should be called Eotens! :D
Eoten is the best term xD

I don't know Colossal Eoten or Armored Eoten is meh. :3

I think he knows they're all called titans but thinks that the smaller ones shouldn't be.

I read that there is a good reason for why the titans do what they do from the manga, didn't spoil myself as to what it is so I'm excited and hope it makes it into the anime. Without that the show would lack depth imo - especially when they explained in the latest episode how they only target humans. If there was no explanation as to why it would just feel like they were made-up villains to move the plot forward.

Then what should we call those little titans? XD

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I don't know Colossal Eoten or Armored Eoten is meh. :3
That's why it's Behemoth and... Armored Eoten xD
And the other names they use xD

With the pace anime is going... I wouldn't be surprised if nothing was actually explained...
With this pace, they have only covered 6 chapters... and with 24 episodes planned, they can go max to chapter 30 (which is not end of the Female Eoten arc, so they will omit some things to finish that one).

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
No shush. They have to explain something. I really like the show so far, but that's with the promise that things will be explained. If they don't explain, I'll lose a lot of like for the show.

Back