• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: The Anime Chat Café

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Years
tumblr_otbcqwghRO1r8sc3ro1_540.png

Pokemon: I Choose You! has debuted at No.1 on the Japanese box office list, the first movie to do so since Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction back in 2014. I thought all the controversy surrounding this movie's plot and claims it is nothing but a merchandise cash-grab would have hurt it, but no it's doing much better than I first thought.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
"The movie's quite good"... so I've heard from my cousin who've already watched the movie.

I'll reserve my judgement once I see it tho.

thought all the controversy surrounding this movie's plot and claims it is nothing but a merchandise cash-grab would have hurt it, but no it's doing much better than I first thought.

When has the Pokemon Anime/Movie been anything more than merchandise cash-grab?

Years
When has the Pokemon Anime/Movie been anything more than merchandise cash-grab?

Jirachi Wish Maker pretty much started the whole merchandise cash-grab approach, but I feel this latest movie is trying to promote too much at once and that's causing it to lose its identity. It tries to be a Kanto movie but fails because it's also promoting Alola and Sinnoh at the same time.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
tumblr_otbcqwghRO1r8sc3ro1_540.png

Pokemon: I Choose You! has debuted at No.1 on the Japanese box office list, the first movie to do so since Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction back in 2014. I thought all the controversy surrounding this movie's plot and claims it is nothing but a merchandise cash-grab would have hurt it, but no it's doing much better than I first thought.

Probably because the movie isn't dealing major competition with another popular Japanese franchise like last year. *points to Shin Godzilla*

Years

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I always enjoy most pokemon movies although sometimes they are underwhelming. Nothing still has compared to the Hoenn and 2000 Movies for me though. If nothing else, the music is usually amazing, or has at least 1 great song that I tend to love.

Anyway, after a very long time trying to figure out the VA's for the Team Skull members, we finally know. None in which we thought.

Tupp, Blue Haired Grunt = Billy Bob Thompson, was the voice of Froakie, Frogider and Greninja in Kalos. He was also the voice of Declan and Gong in Yu-Gi-Oh Arc V,

Rapp, female grunt = Lori Phillips, fairly new, voice of Hoppa in the movie.

Zipp, other male grunt = Jake Paque, voice of Prof. Sycamore. He was also Dumon in Yugioh Zexal and Brandon from Winx Club.

Last edited:
Years
If the Team Skull's dub voices were a surprise, I was surprised that Rowlet is also voiced by Roger Callagy, that guy who does the annoying Rotom Dex voice.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
I was also surprised that Rowlet's Japanese VA was Megumi Hayashibara! I never would've guessed that Rowlet shared the same voice as Bulbasaur and Snivy, haha... Oh, and apparently Rockruff too! :o

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
If the Team Skull's dub voices were a surprise, I was surprised that Rowlet is also voiced by Roger Callagy, that guy who does the annoying Rotom Dex voice.

The only one that was surprising to me was the one voice by Prof. Sycamore because the voices are so different.

Years
So, I have had concerns about Ash's battling skills in Sun & Moon. While he hasn't resetted from his skills in XY, the problem is that it now seems to be overglorified because of how easily he is defeating the Totem Pokemon and Kahunas.

It's a problem because it's like the writers are making him too perfect, likely due to all the bad reception of the Ash vs Alain result at the Kalos League (next week marks the 1-year anniversary of that infamous result), and it's like they're now trying to make Ash invincible so that they don't get complained about again and that makes me upset because if Ash has a significant loss (such as the Lake Acuity battle against Paul, or the first battle against Wulfric) it'll mean development for him, and now SM seems to be doing away with that entirely.

Thoughts? Do you think Ash is being too OP in SM so far?

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
He feels OP in that he's defeating Kahunas with Tier 1 Pokemon. I mean sure Pikachu is one bad ass Yellow mouse(or rat) but until Rockruff evolved, Ash had Pokemon whose strength pales in comparison to past teams. I mean his Unova team was like that where he was beating people with Tier 1. Unova is considered his weakest team because of that and what hurts Ash is that he hasn't filled his roster and he's had one Evolution so far in 37 Episodes. Hell... we've had a whopping two Evolutions in the entire anime so far(Bounsweet is the other).

However, I can't really complain just yet because the anime isn't over and in XY(the series people love so much), Ash had 4 Pokemon and 1 Evolution(Fletchling). In terms of pace... I think they're not that far off XY. Give it some more time but yeah I can see where people are coming from.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
In general Sun and Moon is taking emphasis away from battling. It really feels like they just included the trails and the guardians so Ash can have an occasional meaningful battle. Otherwise all we've gotten is a couple of battles with Team Rocket and Skull and the battle with Hobbes besides the few snippets of battling here and there. They have to let win Ash win the trial battles because otherwise he'd be stuck at square one and he couldn't get more crystals but lose to the guardians so they can build up to him eventually winning.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
He feels OP in that he's defeating Kahunas with Tier 1 Pokemon. I mean sure Pikachu is one bad ass Yellow mouse(or rat) but until Rockruff evolved, Ash had Pokemon whose strength pales in comparison to past teams. I mean his Unova team was like that where he was beating people with Tier 1. Unova is considered his weakest team because of that and what hurts Ash is that he hasn't filled his roster and he's had one Evolution so far in 37 Episodes. Hell... we've had a whopping two Evolutions in the entire anime so far(Bounsweet is the other).

However, I can't really complain just yet because the anime isn't over and in XY(the series people love so much), Ash had 4 Pokemon and 1 Evolution(Fletchling). In terms of pace... I think they're not that far off XY. Give it some more time but yeah I can see where people are coming from.

His Unova team wasn't his weakest team, this team was pretty good. Ash needs to capture two more pokemon and then his Alola team will be complete.

Too bad XY couldn't be the series that everyone love, because truth is Kalos was crap from the very beginning to the very ending.

Years
There is a problem in that I fear Ash's Alola team won't even reach being a 6-member team because there is also the classmates to take into account and the fact there is not a lot of valid Pokemon to work with.

I see Alolan Forms being ruled out for Ash since the writers clearly want him to showcase only new Pokemon, and two classmates have obtained an Alolan Form so far, namely Lillie and Kiawe.

Also, the SM series lacking battles in general is another problem because trials got screwed up and Ash seems to beat them too easily. It is clear the school format is not working very well at all.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Pretty big spoilers for upcoming episodes.

Spoiler:

Years
Pretty big spoilers for upcoming episodes.

Spoiler:

Holy shit... Misty and Brock are coming to Alola? But oh god that awful SM art style has ruined them!

Back