• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Harvest Moon Tool Kit (HMTK)

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
This project is currently RMXP only.

What is Harvest Moon?

Harvest Moon has been a relatively steady series of video games in terms of sales and popularity, with around 30 games (including some spin-offs) having been produced since the first game on the SNES in 1996. While each of the main titles in the series tries to improve on the last (though not always with equal success), the core gameplay mechanics have remained virtually the same as always. You plant crops, raise animals, and try to court one of a handful of eligible bachelors/bachelorettes. The games focus very much or rural life, usually with small towns and few people with just enough to be self-sufficient. It's probably THE most successful dating sim in North America (and possibly everywhere else that it has been released except Japan), and one of a very few farming sims (and of course, the most successful on video game consoles. Also, it may or may not be what inspired the infamous Farmville on Facebook. Regardless, Harvest Moon came first, and is much more appealing in my opinion).

There is also an entire spinoff series of games in the Harvest Moon universe called Rune Factory. Harvest Moon is one of a few very successful non-violent video games, but a more standard RPG experience was opted for in the form of Rune Factory. These games feature the same farming and dating elements that you find in Harvest Moon games, except there are also some dungeon-crawling elements added to the mix. If you get tired of laboring on the farm for cash, you can go fight monsters instead (or do both).

This starter kit is primarily targeted at the production of Harvest Moon games, but Rune Factory games are also quite possible with it. No built-in features of RMXP have been removed (some may have changed slightly), so it should be fairly compatible with a number of things (or with very minor changes), so you can import battle systems that others have created or just use what's built-in to RMXP. That is roughly all it takes to turn this Harvest Moon starter kit into a Rune Factory starter kit.

Please take a moment to read the "What You Can Do" section below, and check out the "Basic Tutorial."

Current Features:

Code:
-Growing crops
-Raising animals
-Carrying items, and giving them to people
-The shipping dude (he should automatically appear on your farm in the
  evening and take your stuff, leaving you the money for it)
-Some common tools are functional (such as the hoe, watering can, seeds,
  brush, milker, shears, etc).
-Some animations have been implemented (most lvl 1 tool animations).
-Data modules for common game data (for storing data about villagers, 
  animals, crops, items, etc. Designed to be expandable)
-A "Settings" script section for a number of common game settings
  (credit goes to Maruno for this idea, which he added to Pokemon Essentials).
-Mining (both digging with the hoe and breaking rocks with the hammer
  should work and randomly give you items)
-Fishing (a little buggy still)
-Graphical stamina bar (can be disabled in settings)
-Classic Harvest Moon time system (no day/night shading yet)
-A customizable databox which displays common game parameters when
  debugging (only visible in debug mode, and can be disabled in settings)
-Seasonal tilesets
-Running
-Power Berries (currently only indicated by a pop up message, but they do
  increase stamina as expected)
-Spawning sticks, rocks, stumps, weeds, and boulders on player's farm map
-Villager's face graphics appear when talking to them (can be disabled in
  settings)
-Villagers can react to different circumstances with different text
  (however, the text itself and the villagers have only partially been
  implemented, and some circumstances are unaccounted for)
-The shipping bin
-Seasonal items in the mountain
-The infobox standard to HM games (includes current time, season, day, a
  weather icon, and equipped item icon)
-Weather effects
-Some debug features and methods to help with testing your projects
-A letter by letter message system, with a beep accompanying each letter
-A name input interface has been created, and mostly works
-The rucksack (divided into tools and items, with an HM:FOMT style interface)
-The toolbox (very similar interface to the rucksack)
-Colored hearts that indicate how much an eligible bachelor/bachelorette likes
 you (can be disabled in settings)
-Mayonnaise Maker, Yarn Maker, and Cheese Maker
-Stumps that respawn daily on the mountain
-The greenhouse
-Tool upgrades
-Turning without moving
-Support for multiple farms (similar to HM:MM)
-possibly a few others I forgot about
Planned/Partially-Implemented Features:

Code:
-Festivals (might be too project-specific to implement)
-Marriage (I think affection can be raised and lowered, but marriage isn't
  possible yet)
-Horse riding (and possibly a generic Horse Race system)
-Swimming (and possibly a generic swimming event)
-Changing outfits (easy)
-Upgradable/purchasable buildings (not as hard as it sounds actually)
-Better maps to demonstrate features
-Cooking
-House Decorating
-any other features the community feels are important
What You Can Do:

There are some things I'd like input about or help with. These include:
Code:
-[COLOR=Red][B]support banners![/B][/COLOR] Putting the logo with a link to the thread in your
  signature would be a great way to help advertise and gain support for this
  project (I can't be everywhere at once, after all). More users means more
  testing, more suggestions, more fangames, and ultimately, a better project.
  You can even make your own banners if you prefer something that looks nicer.
-[B]more efficient ways to code existing features [/B](I could always use a
  few pointers on what I'm doing wrong or sloppy)
-[B]finding/fixing bugs[/B]
-[COLOR=Red][B]screenshots![/B][/COLOR]
-which settings should be customizable by the user (or ones I should take out)
-recipes and tools for cooking (recipes should ONLY include ingredients that
  exist in this project, or ones that exist in official HM games that have
  been excluded from this project so far)
-how tools should behave (area of effect for higher level tools. This differs
  slightly between different HMs, especially unique max lvl tools [i.e.
  goddess level tools or comparable])
-finding completed features I didn't add to the list of features above
Credit will be given for every reasonable contribution that goes directly into the project. This includes menu designs, rips, code, etc.

Controls:
Code:
W - Open the rucksack
D - Take item from or store item in the rucksack
X - Cancel / Use equipped tool
C - Confirm / Grab / Throw / Interact
SPACE - Hold to run
Errors/Bugs:

-Error when opening project:

When opening the project with an older version of RMXP, an error will occur that will prevent it from loading. To fix it, open the Game.rxproj file with notepad (NOT RMXP) and change the RMXP version number to the version of RMXP you are currently running (it should be the only text in that file). If you do not know which version of RMXP you have, open RMXP and click Help -> About...

Alternatively, you can copy/paste a Game.rxproj file from a different project created with your version of RMXP (since the Game.rxproj file is not specific to any project).

-Strange bug when collecting eggs from chickens:

When chickens lay their eggs, an event is spawned on their current location. Although the egg correctly appears to be under them, it is in fact on top of them. When you try to grab the chicken to move them off the egg, you grab the egg instead. Convenient, but incorrect.

-A custom animation you added looks strange when playing:

This is an odd bug I haven't figured out the source of, and have been dealing with for quite a while. For some reason, every animation that's been added to the project has it's blending value set to either Add or Sub (not sure which since I don't care. both are bad). This causes the animations to look odd (semi-transparent, and badly discolored). If you have this issue with an animation, open the RMXP Database and go to the Animations tab, then select the animation, click Cell Batch..., then check the Blending box and select Normal. The animation should play fine after that.

-Ladders spawning in places they shouldn't in the mine:

If you dig a hole in the mine and find a ladder, climbing down the ladder takes you to a new floor where an escape ladder is spawned automatically. Sometimes a rock will also spawn in the same spot, resulting in a ladder being placed on top of an impassable tile.

Other Notes:

Sound and graphic rips would be appreciated for many things. Some scratch spriting may also be needed to fill in the blanks (I've done a little bit so far).

Please, do not suggest features you would like for YOUR game. Only suggest core features and recurring elements that are common to all or most Harvest Moon games (i.e. don't ask me to add new crops, animal breeds, or other things that aren't already in SEVERAL Harvest Moon games. Create them yourself in your project or ask someone to help you create them). Before it is suggested though, I'll address dual screens: I don't mind either way if dual screens are used. If someone wants to make the project work with a dual screen script, I'd be more than willing to host it in this thread with the standard project for users to choose from (and you will be credited for the contribution). You can also put it in your own thread if you prefer, just be sure to give proper credits. Additionally, if someone wants to turn this into an RMVX or RMVXA project, that would also be much appreciated, and the same terms apply.

If you don't understand or need clarification on something or how it works, be sure to ask in this thread and I'll explain it to the best of my ability (Please don't fill up my PM box or profile with stuff about this project unless absolutely necessary. Post your questions/thoughts/suggestions/flaming here if at all possible). I've also been re-working code to make it more efficient and/or more easily understandable and usable. I've tried to keep flexibility and scalability in mind as well, and have re-written some code many times because of it. I'm currently evaluating all of the code once again (though some of it I won't mess with until I get some suggestions from the community) to find things to improve, so suggestions in that regard are much appreciated.

Screenshots:

Unfortunately, there currently isn't as much to visually show as I'd like and I haven't taken the time to get a lot of good screenshots. When the project is more complete, better screenshots with larger variety can be posted to show off the functionality. If you'd like to contribute screenshots, post them in the thread and I'll add them here if they are suitable (with credits, of course). Some basic screenshots can be found on my ImageShack account: https://imageshack.com/a/FFPq/1.

Download:

HMTK v2.2 - http://www.mediafire.com/download/te8rpgfo95anu9y/HMTK+v2.2.zip

If the link ever stops working, or you have issues with that uploading site, let me know and I'll post additional links.

Basic Tutorial:
Warning: lots of text.
Spoiler:

Credits:

If you find anything in this project which needs credits and isn't already on the list below, such as ideas you feel I stole from you (be prepared to provide sufficient proof. I'll let the community decide based on evidence if it comes to this), graphics, audio, scripts, or anything else, post it here so it can be taken care of and a proper credits list determined. So far, these are the people you should credit:

KitsuneKouta - obvious reasons are obvious
Nintendo, Natsume, Marvelous Interactive - for creating/publishing Harvest Moon
SephirothSpawn - for his scripted event notes I included (and extended) in the project, and some general logic behind event spawning (from his EventSpawner)
Cheese (from TSR) - for some HM:FOMT rips I downgraded into SNES style
Billy-- - for some graphics rips
Cujo the Cat
(from TSR)- for HM:FOMT face rips (and some charsets, but they are only temporary)
Crazyninjaguy - for his awesome mouse script (only used for debug stuff so far)
Mobius XVI and SirBilly (from rpgmakerweb.com) - for their simple turn without moving code
Nickalooose - for the Ellen charset
...and you, if you contribute!

Happy farming :)

I claim no ownership of any audio, graphics, ideas, or otherwise which were created and/or copyrighted by Nintendo, Natsume, Marvelous Interactive, or any other party which created in whole or part and/or owns any copyright related to the Harvest Moon video game series. This work is purely for entertainment and learning purposes, and should NOT be used for profit in any way.

Last edited:

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
Yes yes yes. I'm so glad to see this, Kitsune. I'll be sure to try it out later on, and rip some graphics and things that you may need.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
I was going to start something similar awhile back but I didn't think many people wanted it. When I asked no one seemed to know what HM was or wanted to make their own game. And finding the sprites and graphics was hard. I'll definitely be following this..

I get an error this project is from an eariler RPG maker and cannot be loaded.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2016
I actually like this idea, but is there any way you could make it compatible with poccils kit to make a harvest moon pokemon game?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Thanks for the support guys, help will be much appreciated.

@KingCharizard: I also found that finding graphics was a bit of a pain, so what I have I actually ripped myself as needed. Some of the larger resources I found weren't sized right or were incomplete, so they weren't much help. Also, that error is one that has given me some trouble too. I found that all you have to do is open your Game.rxproj in notepad and edit the version number to the version of RMXP you're using (it should be the only text in that file at all). You can find the version you're using by opening RMXP and clicking Help -> About... With newer releases of this project, you should be able to just copy you Game.rxproj file into the new version and overwrite the one in it (the Game.rxproj file isn't project specific anyways, so you could even copy one from a different project).

@pokehackster: It MIGHT be possible to use this with Pokemon Essentials with a few small changes. I did NOT remove a single line of code that comes standard with RMXP, I merely overrode or extended things with aliasing to improve compatibility. I had also tinkered with the idea of using some Pokemon graphics as placeholders for the animals (this being a Pokemon community and all), especially since there was no sheep in the SNES version so I couldn't find a reasonable substitute for it. If everyone is cool with the idea, I might use Torchic for chickens, Miltank for cows, and Mareep for sheep (and possibly include some Pokemon as fish too). It was just a novelty idea I had been considering. So if you want to use this with Essentials, you can probably copy all of the new script sections (I put them all at the bottom. Every line of new code is there so you don't have to dig around the default scripts at all) and paste them at the bottom of Essentials. Expect some errors though, especially in regards to tilemap stuff. I play with the tilemap a little bit for the farming and mining systems, so I may look into a minor re-write for compatibility if I find the spare time. It would be great if you knew enough programming to do it though. I could give you pointers to hopefully help you get it working.

On another note, I forgot to mention how the controls work.

Hold X to run
Press S to switch tools
Press D to use the current tool
Press C to interact

There's no rucksack or pause menus just yet, so there's no button for that.

I'll be updating the first post with some of this since it's important stuff I left out.

Aamelo

Reality Bender.
Years
Right when I was planning to do a Pokemon + Harvest Moon Crossover this appears :I
I don't know if I will still do the project, though. Still this seems to be a fun engine.

Years
I'm kinda disappointed that this is XP (I have VXA), I really want to try it out! I can still try out the sample maps though, I'll do that right away and let you know my opinion. ;)

First thing I noticed is that the game crashes when I pressed enter or c with any objects or people. There's also a window that comes up when I pick up the weeds.

It looks really nice though, makes me want to play my old game again. :).

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
I'm kinda disappointed that this is XP (I have VXA), I really want to try it out! I can still try out the sample maps though, I'll do that right away and let you know my opinion. ;)

First thing I noticed is that the game crashes when I pressed enter or c with any objects or people. There's also a window that comes up when I pick up the weeds.

It looks really nice though, makes me want to play my old game again. :).
It shouldn't be too hard to port to VX or VXA actually. I'd been thinking about getting VXA recently, so I might work on that. Anything that's strictly Ruby code should be fully compatible. The only issue should be with the stuff that uses the built in functionality of RMXP (which is a small percentage of the total. Maybe some of the code that changes the tilemap would need to be updated too). If anyone has VX or VXA and would like to work on that, it would a great contribution. Until then it will probably have to wait until I get some spare time and cash.

The game crashes when talking to people right now since I didn't fix them initializing after porting the project (the game is supposed to initialize every single villager object when New Game is selected, so they can be used wherever whenever by the player), among other minor things. The pop up when grabbing rocks and weeds and stuff is something I was using for debugging (the item kept transforming into the next one in the list after being picked up, so I was checking the item's id).

You will probably all notice random pop up boxes like that from time to time in random places. It's one of my preferred debugging methods for whatever reason, and I usually forget to get rid of it when I finish. Also, I forgot that I wrecked the Transfer Player events when copying over maps, so doors/exits do not work like you'd expect (except the door to the house). I'll address some of these things in the next update.

Last edited:
Years
If you do decide to convert it to VXA at all, let me know and I'd be happy to test it out more in depth for you. :)

I always enjoyed the Harvest Moon series, so I'm really happy you're creating this.

Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2016
@pokehackster: It MIGHT be possible to use this with Pokemon Essentials with a few small changes. I did NOT remove a single line of code that comes standard with RMXP, I merely overrode or extended things with aliasing to improve compatibility. I had also tinkered with the idea of using some Pokemon graphics as placeholders for the animals (this being a Pokemon community and all), especially since there was no sheep in the SNES version so I couldn't find a reasonable substitute for it. If everyone is cool with the idea, I might use Torchic for chickens, Miltank for cows, and Mareep for sheep (and possibly include some Pokemon as fish too). It was just a novelty idea I had been considering. So if you want to use this with Essentials, you can probably copy all of the new script sections (I put them all at the bottom. Every line of new code is there so you don't have to dig around the default scripts at all) and paste them at the bottom of Essentials. Expect some errors though, especially in regards to tilemap stuff. I play with the tilemap a little bit for the farming and mining systems, so I may look into a minor re-write for compatibility if I find the spare time. It would be great if you knew enough programming to do it though. I could give you pointers to hopefully help you get it working.

Unfortunately I know very little about ruby scripting so even with pointers It would take me forever to get something like that working, but I'm sure that there's someone out there that can and more than likely will incorporate this into poccils kit successfully. The main thought I had as far as incorporating it would be something similar to buying a farm and having the ability to raise different pokemon on it, but I know how tedious it would be to script something like that ^.^;

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
It's earlier than I was expecting, but an updated version has been released. A number of minor things have been fixed up to make the project more usable (since I did some testing and found I broke things a little more than I expected while working on other things). The download link in the main post has been updated. Here's a quick list of changes:

Code:
-Grabbing items (like the ones in the Mountain) no longer causes the game to crash
-Transfer Player events now go to the right places (might have missed a couple though)
-Non-existent dialog entries no longer cause villager events to crash the game
-Pop up window when grabbing weeds rocks or sticks has been eliminated
-Some junk events have been erased
-Some tile corrections
-Shipping bins in the barn and coop now work
-face graphics display as expected when talking to a villager
-the message system no longer crashes when non-text events run
-shipping dude spawns as expected
-cancelling in the diary cancels properly instead of opening the load menu (the Continue/load menu still causes a crash)
-visual weather effects (ok, just rain) work. I held off on them before due to lag, but it seems I accidentally fixed it at some point.
-the start of a calendar interface

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Oh congratulations on this you... Was meant to comment yesterday but stupid England were playing in the Euros *cough*.

It's great to see this come along way since you sent me the kit, I've never really played these but can see I'd play this, I wander if I can find any hidden horses again haha.

Still, well done, especially for the new update so quickly.

Years
I love this a lot because for the longest times, I've always wanted to make a Harvest Moon game! Though when I use this, even if I talk to someone, I get an error, and it closes out the whole game... When I pick up a weed too, it comes up with a little box that says "0" and I have to close it out with the mouse. Good work so far though :)

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
I love this a lot because for the longest times, I've always wanted to make a Harvest Moon game! Though when I use this, even if I talk to someone, I get an error, and it closes out the whole game... When I pick up a weed too, it comes up with a little box that says "0" and I have to close it out with the mouse. Good work so far though :)
Not sure how, but I ended up re-uploading the old project both times so the updated link still had the old project. I fixed it last night though, so it should be correct now, and those issues should be gone.

@Nickaloose: haha, I remember that. There is still one horse, though not quite as hidden. It probably doesn't work though, so I've been reworking animals to hopefully get them ready for the next release.

Last edited:
Years
Not sure how, but I ended up re-uploading the old project both times so the updated link still had the old project. I fixed it last night though, so it should be correct now, and those issues should be gone.

@Nickaloose: haha, I remember that. There is still one horse, though not quite as hidden. It probably doesn't work though, so I've been reworking animals to hopefully get them ready for the next release.

Ahh okay :) I'll re-upload it later 'cause I tried again just now, but the people are still being weird...I can pick up wild items though!

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Ahh okay :) I'll re-upload it later 'cause I tried again just now, but the people are still being weird...I can pick up wild items though!
I should mention there are still a couple issues with villager events. The message system is still broken, so when pressing C to close the dialog box it re-opens when talking to a villager. The mayor event however doesn't have any dialog, so I created a little error message instead (so the game wouldn't crash). That one is supposed to be there (since I don't have the time or patience to implement the thousands of lines of dialog that will ultimately be needed). If you can grab wild items, and the map teleports work, then you have the correct version.

Years
I should mention there are still a couple issues with villager events. The message system is still broken, so when pressing C to close the dialog box it re-opens when talking to a villager. The mayor event however doesn't have any dialog, so I created a little error message instead (so the game wouldn't crash). That one is supposed to be there (since I don't have the time or patience to implement the thousands of lines of dialog that will ultimately be needed). If you can grab wild items, and the map teleports work, then you have the correct version.

Ahh okay! I know the maps, and the wild items work, but I tried talking to Ann, and I think Elli...Oh wells xD This just started.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
It's been a few days, so I've decided to update everyone on what's going on. I've been making significant changes to the tool kit and should have a new release ready in the next day or two.

The message system is working correctly first and foremost (choice boxes are almost almost done, and number input might be done at some point in the future), with letter by letter text (and adjustable speeds) and support for a beeping noise has been added as each letter is drawn (a common feature in Harvest Moon games). If users want extra features for the message system, be sure to ask about it and I'll try to get to it eventually. I can add things like changing the color of specific text with tags or something (right now it's all or none, and the color can be specified in Settings). So if you think of any additions to the message system that would be good, name it. Also, animals are partially complete, and should be ready for the next release. Some tools have to be coded first though (like the brush, milker, etc). I'll try to add some generic interfaces for stuff too.

I'll update the first post with the new version and information once it's ready, and add a few people to the credits.

If you have any suggestions or things you'd like to contribute, please do so soon so I can add them to the tool kit.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I have an idea for the messaging thing... I was actually looking into it for my game, but I don't see why I don't throw it your way for an idea.

Maybe you could do a system that eventid[x] get's it's name like Jill and makes that text colour grey (or whatever):
__
|Jill\

Kind of how that looks! So the message box has it's text in what ever colour you specify, green, blue, pink whatever you've made I guess, but the Event name that is speaking has it's own little tab with the eventid name, which would be your greys, blacks and whites, depending on the graphic I guess... Or whatever you think haha! just an idea, you don't need it of course.

Obviously, I'm hoping you get the idea with that picture, because using underscores and slashes, is not the easiest thing to make a picture haha

Back