• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
How do I change the items in marts? I couldnt find A mart in the toolbox and when I got it somewhere else it didnt work so help! lol

Just use the following script:

Spoiler:

That would give you the option to buy potions, Pokéballs, antidotes and revives.
If you want to change the stock, just replace "ITEM_POTION", for example, with "ITEM_ORANGEMAIL", or to whatever item you want to change. If you're unsure about what the item you want is called, open XSE's stditems.rbh file in notepad and search for a word. Make sure you don't remove the "#include stditems.rbh" line.

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Uh, Hey, 'coz a lot of people are pretty uppity about spam on this site, i've been trawling through the forum for like ten minutes trying to find a appropriate place to post this but, i've searched all over the internet and i've had a really hard time finding tiles for HG/SS, especially things such as grass. Does anyone have any sources?

GhostOfPhazon

Hacker Wannabe
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 9, 2011
Is there a list where it tells you what item is what code?

Yes, as Spherical Ice said, you can find a list of the codes for all the items in the stditems.rbh file. Do you know where to find that file on your computer? In case you don't, I'll just put the list here in a spoiler for you.

Spoiler:

Paupir

Dreamer
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 7, 2015
Map tile and level script problem

Paupir, have you tried removing any level scripts?

Ah, I had a look and there were some setmaptile commands that were turning them into that if flag 0x11D was set. Dunno why I didn't think of that- I'm not sure why those tiles would have to be set really D:

Does anyone know what that flag is for, at all? Just curious.

Colcolstyles said:
When inserting the type 2 level script, make sure you do what this tutorial outlines, else it won't work.

I'm gonna follow the steps in that tutorial now, thanks Colcol~

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Hey, I'm new to hacking Pokemon games (as I image most people who come here for help are), and I've been looking through tutorials the last few days trying to learn more about how to hack. I've been experimenting with a Pokemon Ruby rom and just trying things out to see if I can get them to work. At the moment, I'm working on connections between maps, and I've changed Littleroot Town's map so that it connects to Route 102 on the right.

It all seems like it should work right, as I'm able to walk from one area to the other without trouble, but there's something odd happening to the graphics that I'm convinced is related to the border blocks. They're tiling within Route 102's map, and I don't understand why or how to fix it. I'm pretty certain it's the border blocks though, because the blocks that are spilling over onto the map appear differently depending on which map you came from (I gave each area a different border block specifically to test this).

I've attached a few pictures to help show the problem I'm having. The first picture shows what the area should look like. The second picture shows the border blocks that appear on the map if you approach from Littleroot Town. The third picture shows the border blocks that appear if you approach from Route 102. And the fourth picture shows the border blocks that appear if you approach from Route 101.

Does anyone know what I did wrong, and how I can fix it? Please and thank you!

Odd, it might be a bug with A-Maps new connection editor, I've only had problems like that in the new release, 1.92 didn't do that.

Years
  • Seen Oct 8, 2013
I read the XSE tutorials and it said trainer battles should be a simple 1-3 digit numbers in accordance to a-trainer. On A-Map its said trainer battle 0x5 0x69 0x0 0x81C147A 0x8183509. Not a simple number. I READ so can you help?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I read the XSE tutorials and it said trainer battles should be a simple 1-3 digit numbers in accordance to a-trainer. On A-Map its said trainer battle 0x5 0x69 0x0 0x81C147A 0x8183509. Not a simple number. I READ so can you help?

A regular trainerbattle command is structured in this way:

Code:
trainerbattle 0x[Type of battle] 0x[Battle No.] 0x[Filler] 0x[PointerToChallengeText] 0x[PointerToDefeatText]

The guide you were reading was referring to the Battle Number, as that determines which trainer and team you'll be going up against.

I'd suggest you open XSE's Comprehensive Scripting Guide (Press F2 when in the program) and look at the trainerbattle part of the practical section. That should help a lot if you're trying to learn how to use the command :D

Years
  • Seen Oct 8, 2013
HELP

I was trying to change the title screen and when I openeed the rom its gone! Not screen all black. I cant start a new game!

On Unlz it says its not found

Last edited:

GhostOfPhazon

Hacker Wannabe
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 9, 2011
Odd, it might be a bug with A-Maps new connection editor, I've only had problems like that in the new release, 1.92 didn't do that.

Well, I just finished redoing it using 1.92 and I don't have that problem any more. I guess you're right; it's probably a bug with 1.95. That's unfortunate, because I really like how you can see you a preview of the connection you're changing when you mess with them in 1.95.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I guess I'll just be using 1.92 from now on.

Years
  • Seen Oct 8, 2013
gahhh

When I die in Cerulean I end up in an old ladies house. >.< What do I do where is the thing I have to change.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 11, 2016
I have just joined this site due to the Liquid Crystal hack of FireRed. It is amazing, just that I keep getting a black screen after killing my rival at the Burnt Tower in Ecruteak. I had heard about this glitch and saved outside with the ingame save and Shift-F1 (VisualBoyAdvance), but I can't quite advance in the game.
How can I fix this? (And I am using Flash 128k/real time clock if that matters.)

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Well, I just finished redoing it using 1.92 and I don't have that problem any more. I guess you're right; it's probably a bug with 1.95. That's unfortunate, because I really like how you can see you a preview of the connection you're changing when you mess with them in 1.95.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I guess I'll just be using 1.92 from now on.

Well you could always use 1.95 for previewing the connections, and writing the offsets down and use the numbers in 1.92... that's what I do for that...

TheOrangePichu

Currently working on new hack
Years
I have a very nooby question. My apologies if you get fustrated.

1. Is there a good tutorial (moslty for pokemon hacking) for hex editing and/or ASM hacking? I really want to get to learn these two things more.Im very serious in doing this. I just need something to help get me started.

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2012
I really hope this isn't a frequent question, because I can't bring myself to wade through 700+ pages of posts to make sure.
I recently found a hack called Pokemon Blaze Black/Volt White. When I heard about it, I thought "That sounds amazing! Now if only I didn't have to use the silly default trainer!" Then I made my own trainer (I'd show you guys the sprites, but apparently I can't do that until I have 15 posts. :/ )

Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about ROM hacking. All I want to do is swap my sprites with the male trainer's. ("sprites" meaning the following: All field sprites (biking, running, etc.), Trainer card image (and everywhere else you see the Trainer sprite), Pokeball throwing animation (With and without the silly arm gadget), Cross-Trainer Dialogue images (Man, those were a pain to edit! >_<), "Boy Or Girl" image (Easy once I had the dialogue one), and VS Mugshot (The pic right before a gym leader fight)) I've got all of it made already, I just need to know how to put it all in.

I've looked around the forums, but I only found tutorials for older games, or tutorials that I can only assume make sense to people with a lot more experience than me. Can someone please dumb things down enough so I can do this? Needless to say, it'll mean a lot to me.

GhostOfPhazon

Hacker Wannabe
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 9, 2011
Well you could always use 1.95 for previewing the connections, and writing the offsets down and use the numbers in 1.92... that's what I do for that...

Oh, that's a good idea. It hadn't really occurred to me to do that. Thanks for the tip.

I really hope this isn't a frequent question, because I can't bring myself to wade through 700+ pages of posts to make sure.
I recently found a hack called Pokemon Blaze Black/Volt White. When I heard about it, I thought "That sounds amazing! Now if only I didn't have to use the silly default trainer!" Then I made my own trainer (I'd show you guys the sprites, but apparently I can't do that until I have 15 posts. :/ )

Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about ROM hacking. All I want to do is swap my sprites with the male trainer's. ("sprites" meaning the following: All field sprites (biking, running, etc.), Trainer card image (and everywhere else you see the Trainer sprite), Pokeball throwing animation (With and without the silly arm gadget), Cross-Trainer Dialogue images (Man, those were a pain to edit! >_<), "Boy Or Girl" image (Easy once I had the dialogue one), and VS Mugshot (The pic right before a gym leader fight)) I've got all of it made already, I just need to know how to put it all in.

I've looked around the forums, but I only found tutorials for older games, or tutorials that I can only assume make sense to people with a lot more experience than me. Can someone please dumb things down enough so I can do this? Needless to say, it'll mean a lot to me.

Well, you can use a tool called Overworld Editor Rebirth Edition to fix the field sprites of your trainer, at least. I don't know how to do the others though, sorry. I'm still really new to this myself.

You can download the tool on this thread. Once you get it running, go to File > Open, and then select your rom. Then, recolor all of the player character's sprites. You can navigate from one sprite to the next using the index and frame selections. The player character has sprites in index 0-4, taking up several frames in each. You'll have to edit them all to look the way you want them to. And make sure that the color you use to fill in the background of the sprite isn't used in the actual person, or the background will show up in-game. File > Save each new sprite before moving on to the next.

But, I don't know if it's considered okay to edit a rom hack someone else made (in fact it might even be locked to prevent people from doing so). For something as small as just a trainer sprite, especially if you don't intend to upload it to the internet for others, I guess maybe it would be okay, but I really don't know where the general community would stand on something like that.

DashBlacK

DashBlacK ~ The Last Chader
Years
Hey guys! I am starting my first pokemon hack ever. What I am trying to do is basically make a remake of Pokemon Black for GBA. I was wondering if I should hack on a Fire Red ROM or an Emerald ROM? I wanted to do it on a Fire Red ROM but the thing is that you know like how in Pokemon Black, there is a gift box on the table and then it opens up a full-screen "page" for you to select your pokemon. Emerald also does the same thing except you go into the bag rather than selecting your pokemon from the table, so I was wondering if it would be possible to have that "page" to select pokemon open up in Fire Red?

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2012
Well, you can use a tool called Overworld Editor Rebirth Edition to fix the field sprites of your trainer, at least. I don't know how to do the others though, sorry. I'm still really new to this myself.

You can download the tool on this thread. Once you get it running, go to File > Open, and then select your rom. Then, recolor all of the player character's sprites. You can navigate from one sprite to the next using the index and frame selections. The player character has sprites in index 0-4, taking up several frames in each. You'll have to edit them all to look the way you want them to. And make sure that the color you use to fill in the background of the sprite isn't used in the actual person, or the background will show up in-game. File > Save each new sprite before moving on to the next.

But, I don't know if it's considered okay to edit a rom hack someone else made (in fact it might even be locked to prevent people from doing so). For something as small as just a trainer sprite, especially if you don't intend to upload it to the internet for others, I guess maybe it would be okay, but I really don't know where the general community would stand on something like that.
It seems this tool doesn't work with DS games. I guess I forgot to mention BlazeBlack and VoltWhite are Black/White hacks. :/

As for editing someone else's hack, it had occurred to me how that might not go over so well. People work hard on these things, and the thought of someone being able to go in and change the credits or something to try to steal their work seems like it'd be a major issue.
That thought didn't occur to me until I was already nearly finished with my sprite sheet, though, so I kinda ignored it for my own sanity.

Now that I think about it, though, hacks work as patches, right? Do you think it's possible to sort of...stack hacks? Like, I could make a simple hack that changes the player character sprites, then add the more complex hack on top of it? That way, I wouldn't be touching the other person's hack and everything would be fine and dandy, right?...Course I still have the problem of not knowing how to hack in the first place...

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
Years
It seems this tool doesn't work with DS games. I guess I forgot to mention BlazeBlack and VoltWhite are Black/White hacks. :/

As for editing someone else's hack, it had occurred to me how that might not go over so well. People work hard on these things, and the thought of someone being able to go in and change the credits or something to try to steal their work seems like it'd be a major issue.
That thought didn't occur to me until I was already nearly finished with my sprite sheet, though, so I kinda ignored it for my own sanity.

Now that I think about it, though, hacks work as patches, right? Do you think it's possible to sort of...stack hacks? Like, I could make a simple hack that changes the player character sprites, then add the more complex hack on top of it? That way, I wouldn't be touching the other person's hack and everything would be fine and dandy, right?...Course I still have the problem of not knowing how to hack in the first place...
If you have the permission from the original author to hack their hack-then you may. I have found only one incident where this is allowed, and that was the Liquid Crystal continuation program almost a year ago. Just make sure to ask the original owner if you wanna hack their hack. Nobody likes having their hard work taken without permission :P

I was trying to change the title screen and when I openeed the rom its gone! Not screen all black. I cant start a new game!

On Unlz it says its not found
What programs have been used on the hack? Some programs (such as advancemap when used carelessly, which everyone does at least once haha) insert their bytes in the wrong area. I'd just say to backup your rom every time you get a few things done so if this type of error happens, then you have a backup and can restart from where you were, say, an hour ago.

Hey guys! I am starting my first pokemon hack ever. What I am trying to do is basically make a remake of Pokemon Black for GBA. I was wondering if I should hack on a Fire Red ROM or an Emerald ROM? I wanted to do it on a Fire Red ROM but the thing is that you know like how in Pokemon Black, there is a gift box on the table and then it opens up a full-screen "page" for you to select your pokemon. Emerald also does the same thing except you go into the bag rather than selecting your pokemon from the table, so I was wondering if it would be possible to have that "page" to select pokemon open up in Fire Red?
Not without heavy ASM... and Emerald is faulty with AM 1.92 (idk about 1.95) causing random beeps during battle sequences. You can alter it a bit and use the three pokeballs, or just alter the sprites to three gift boxes. Also, Ruby is generally agreed as the easiest to hack, so since you're new, you can join a group or go solo working on Ruby. Firered is not a bad choice, however, plus it has better graphics

The only way i know is using the No$GBA paid version and finding the hex bytes to edit byte by byte O_O
Not sure you'd want to do that, and I'm sure theres another way, maybe I should make a program for it :D

Last edited:

DashBlacK

DashBlacK ~ The Last Chader
Years
Thanks for the reply, I think joining a group would be a good idea. I don't really get the scripting thing because of the hex editing stuff. Well, one more stupid question, umm.... how would I exactly join a group? Like what do i do? Google it?(bad joke)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back