• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sugar coating.

Years
I think I tend to sugar coat a few things, at least when I'm worried about possibly hurting feelings ("oh, if saying this will make that person mad, then I shouldn't say it like that, say it like this instead").

Which is kind of odd, since I actually somewhat hate people doing it to me. Hmm.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Only sometimes, really. I'm an honest person, most of the time. But this depends on the situation, and who I'm with.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
I only sugar coat things when I'm being sarcastic, being blunt is just my modus operandi for everything, lol. Contrary to the opinions of the lovely Shining Raichu, blunt people are the sort of people I love. They're to the point; precise; often hilarious. Sugar coaters just frustrate me.

Tranca

Monolith
Years
  • Seen Jan 7, 2013
Yes, I am afraid of making people angry. If I know the person well and trust them, I will be less cautious.

Victini

If I personally feel the person deserves a blunt talking to, I'll do it.
But if the person is say, really sweet and doesn't really deserve it, I'll be much easier about it... ;w;

#isthenumbersign
Years
If it's someone I'm like really close with I'll probably be blunt with them, because they wouldn't care all that much. They'd do the same to me. For someone I don't really know I'll sugar coat things, being blunt just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Taemin

[i][b]MOVE[/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
I guess I sugar coat things? But it's not so much sugar coating in the way of white lies, it's sugar coating in the way of me trying to be as nice to them as possible, so that whatever we're talking about doesn't seem so bad. I'm truthful, but I always point out the upside to things, rather than bluntly talking to them about how bad something is.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Sometimes I do. Sometimes I don't. It depends on the topic, the sensitivity of it, and who I'm talking to. Just like everything else with me, it really depends on the situation and person as a whole.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Yeah, I'm normally quite blunt with everyone I know, be it close friend/family member or just a casual acquaintance. It's not a case of hurting people's feelings, in my opinion... and this is going to sound horribly gangsta, but I just feel it best to tell it like it is. Continuing the clichés, honesty really is the best policy, and if one sugar coats something now, there'll be a time in the future when that person realises you've kept something from them. And I don't want to be one of those people that keeps things from people unnecessarily. I like open and honest communication, even if it's not always the most pleasant; hashing out disagreements is the only way that really inroads and progress can be made. Sugar coating helps preserve the status quo, and while it may be desirable for a few hours/days/weeks, in the long run it's not the best attitude to have... IMO. :P

Ice Car

Banned
Years
No way.

I have a tendency to be very blunt. I scarcely sugarcoat things unless it would be wrong not to, or if I feel it's absolutely necessary to.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
I'm big on sugar coating. Bluntness is one quality I can't stand in a person. There is a difference between being honest and being a dick, and bluntness is that difference. There is a way to be honest without broadcasting your complete lack of regard for other people's feelings.

What I also can't stand is the way people who are blunt tend to champion themselves for it, as though "telling it like it is" is some great public service they're performing. Get some tact or get away from me.

This. This will play a role in my opinion. Honestly, it all depends on who it is I'm talking to/rating/criticizing.
If it's just your average guy or a friend, I tend to either sugar coat things or be honest but with the most respect I can. I hate it when someone thinks their honest and are actually blunt, not realizing that the two are different. Honesty is telling it as it is, bluntness on the other hand is being a dick about the truth.

But when sometimes, it's someone who themselves are blunt or rude, I try to be as blunt/dickish as I can. It's mainly because I feel I should punish them for what they put others through and give them a taste of their own medicine, so to speak. I know some people might think it's wrong, but oh well, it's something I've tried and failed to get past :/

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Yes. I try to stay away from hurting others' feelings as much as possible, so, to be honest, I always do that. The only time I don't sugar coat is when I'm discussing something that's very, very important (e.g. when it concerns death of a person).

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I only sugarcoat it when I am being passive aggressive which I find to be really amusing. Otherwise I prefer the blunt approach.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Depends on the situation. I try to be as honest as possible without hurting other people's feelings. I also tend to choose my words carefully, so..yea. I sugarcoat quite a lot. But still, it depends.

If I'm talking about a very serious topic though, expect cold bluntness from me.

Years
Forum-wise, yes, I do indeed sugarcoat. I like to be as nice as I can so I don't hurt feelings, and usually nothing is serious enough for it to be worth it for me to be blunt. I can tolerate people pretty well so most of the time nothing throws me off enough to just say it like it is.

Pretty much the same offline since I'd rather not make anyone mad at me. xD;

Twilight Sky

» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
I'll admit that I'm guilty in the department of being really blunt, and that's part of who I am. If I want to tell someone the truth about something, then I'll do it. Generally, I'll avoid being harsh when I can, since that's not really ideal, but honesty is always a priority with me!

And people's feelings do matter to me a lot..I do hesitate when it comes to being blunt with others, I don't necessarily like doing it, but eh. u_u

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I'd probably sugarcoat it if its someone i don't know very well or old people 'cause you'd never hear the end of that.But most of the time i'll be very blunt.It really depends on the situation i guess.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
Anyone who knows me in real life or who has been staff with me on PC knows I sugarcoat nothing. I'm a straight-shooter - I tell it like I see it and usually don't pull any punches. Some people find that off-putting, but I'd prefer someone to be upfront and honest with me rather than trying to sugarcoat things.

Reactions: Her

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
Years
I know honesty is the best policy, the truth really hurts, doesn't it? I can be frank to someone "close" to me, but I can be sarcastic if the situation calls for it.

Back