• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 3] Varys tries Nuzlocke (LeafGreen)

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years
Heya! I'm still having a conundrum on my Water-type HeartGold run, so in the interim, I would like to play Nuzlocked! Inspired of course by the very successful runs of Achromatic, Soapie, and Radiating.

And here it is!

VARYS TRIES NUZLOCKE!​

Of course, standard rules.
1. If a Pokemon faints, it remains dead.
2. I can only catch the first unique Pokemon I encounter every area.
3. Duplicated don't count. If I already captured a Pidgey, a second one is a no-no.
4. Every Pokemon must be nicknamed.
5. Challenge ends when I defeat the Pokemon League for the first time.
6. Shinies are free meal.
7. No Exp. Share.
8. And maximum of 10 healing potions of each kind at any time. For difficulty.

Alright wish me luck!

Last edited:

jombii

Years
BEGIN

So I started with a boy named GNuz because that is how I always name my character lol. And nicknamed my rival the default name of Red. I got the free Potion in my PC and went to Prof Oak to get my Pokemon. Decided to go with Bulbasaur and I nicknamed him Seed. A battle commences.

Vs. Red

It was a matter of mashing the A button and hope for the best. After a few turns of exchanging Tackles and Scratches, Seed managed to win the battle for me at 3 HP.

I proceeded then to Route 1. Any Pokemon I encounter here will not be counted as my first encounter since I have no balls. Yet. They live another day. Although I defeated a Rattata on the way for some experience.

I arrived at Viridian City, confident about my run and how Seed will be able to defeat all trainers. I got the Oak Parcel from the guy in the pokemon market, healed Seed back up and journeyed back to Pallet Town, trying to avoid any grass. But alas, Pidgeys are there to block me. I am not complaining, as it's free experience. Seed grew to Level 7 and learned Leech Seed.

I delivered the Oak Parcel to Oak and got the Pokedex and Pokeballs. Now we're getting serious. Off to Route 1 for our first team member.

Route 1

I was hoping for a Pidgey but the abundance of Rattatas prevailed. Decided to catch it nonetheless. Nicknamed it Stuart. It's Jolly which is good I guess. But I don't have any plan on using it. Will train it up, but I will probably be ditching it the first opportunity I get.

Arrived in Viridian City and decided a quick detour west to Route 22 wouldn't hurt. Also, it's possible to catch a Mankey here which which will be awesome.

Route 22
And yes! It was the Mankey that came out. What luck. I foresee great things in my future. One Tackle from Seed brought it to red so I chucked a Pokeball immediately towards it. It was caught very easily. I'm gonna nickname it Sensei.

I think that is all for now. I wouldn't want to rush through this game lol.

Team:

Seed the Bulbasaur
Jolly Lv 7
Tackle | Growl | Leech Seed

Stuart the Rattata
Jolly Lv 3
Tackle | Tail Whip

Sensei the Mankey
Bashful Lv 3
Scratch | Leer

jombii

Years
oh look Varys is doing another update you don't own me.

I have nothing better to do though I should be working lol so here's an update!

So I decided to train my Pokemon up. Well, Seed up until level 10 before I enter the Viridian Forest. I have no plans on taking on Red now since that would most likely mean one of my Pokemon dying. Lol. So there, Seed is at Level 10 with Vine Whip and ready to take on Brock. Time to train Sensei and Stuart now.

BUT, Arceus has other plans for Sensei. While training, a Pidgey accidentally defeated him in battle. That was short-lived. RIP Sensei.

But life must go on and to do so, I apparently need to have the Teachy TV. All right I guess. Onwards to Route 2 for my next encounter

Route 2
I don't actually know what to get here. First mon was a Rattata and Stuart is already enough. Then I got a Pidgey. yay! Captured it and nicknamed it Sky.

Now for Viridian Forest. Before entering the forest, I stocked up on Antidotes and Potions. I also replenished my Balls just to be ready. I'm hoping to get a Pikachu here, but a Caterpie wouldn't hurt even.

Viridian Forest

And it's a Caterpie. I'm not complaining. Used Butterfree a few times before and severely happy with the performance. Captured and nicknamed it Silk.

And I think that's all for today lol. I'm just going to grieve Sensei in a corner.

Team:

Seed the Bulbasaur
Jolly Lv 10
Tackle | Growl | Leech Seed | Vine Whip

Stuart the Rattata
Jolly Lv 3
Tackle | Tail Whip

Sky the Pidgey
Bold Lv 3
Tackle

Silk the Caterpie
Impish Lv 5
Tackle | String Shot

Dead:
Sensei the Mankey
Bashful Lv 3
Scratch | Leer

jombii

Years
UPDATE

So, going through Viridian Forest, I kept on training both Seed and Silk. Silk managed to evolve to Metapod and reach Level 9 before the end. Stuart and Sky were kept at the back of the party as I train my two main Pokemon.

I reached Pewter City and decided to keep Seed at the front for easier time. Training Silk will have to come again later.

Vs Brock.

Well it was easy. Two Vine Whips took care of both Geodude and Onix. I expected that actually. Seed grew to Level 14 because of this battle. Silk comes back to the front of the party for training.

Route 3

And I went west now of Pewter City towards Route 3 and trained my Pokemon. Silk evolved to Butterfree and learned Confusion in the process. I will be keeping Silk at the front now until level 15, or interchange her with Sky for the experience.

As for the wild Pokemon here, I was hoping for one of the Nidoran family as having a ground-type later on will be a huge thing. First saw a Pidgey, which is a duplicate. Then a Mankey, so naturally, tears welled up from my eyes. RIP Sensei. Another Pidgey, then a Nidoran-F arrived at the scene! This is good. I sent her to sleep using Seed and captured her. Nickname is going to be Superior.

Mt. Moon

Healed outside first before heading inside Mt. Moon. I was not really looking forward to anything here since I can't have Golem due to unavailability of trade lol. And sure, Geodude was the first thing that popped out. Still attempted to catch it though, and succeeding. Nicknamed Stonf. Because I am stupid.

Attempted to level my Pokemon at level 15. Grinding was easy enough until I met a Grunt with a Rattata. I came in confident but Sky got crit'd by a Quick Attack. It went down and that's the second faint of the game. RIP Sky. I had high dreams for you. Worry not, as I still have five Pokemon with me. Superior will take Sky's place. I started training Superior. Unlike Sky, it reached level 15 easily. Switched Stonf to the front for decent experience.

Seed evolved during one of the battles lol. Seed is slowly getting more powerful and is preparing for Misty. Slight panic during one of the rocket grunts battle as Stonf was wrapped by an Ekans and is slowly deteriorating in health. Good thing I had an extra Potion handy. Superior evolved into Nidorina also. I am having quite a solid team. With Stonf at 15 also, I decided to put Stuart in front, for the lolz or for the experience. I figured another Pokemon with high enough level wouldn't hurt. Cleared the mountain and got the Dome Fossil as a reward.

Route 4

First thing I did was teach Stonf Mega Punch then proceeded to see if I can capture anything new in this route. First that appeared was Spearow. Captured it and nicknamed it Spear. Since I wanted to get a few more levels before I challenge either Red or Misty, I will grind a bit until my force is at level 20. Have to be safe.

Team:

Seed the Ivysaur
Jolly Lv 17
Tackle | Sleep Powder | Leech Seed | Vine Whip

Stuart the Rattata
Jolly Lv 11
Tackle | Tail Whip | Quick Attack

Silk the Butterfree
Impish Lv 16
Tackle | String Shot | Sleep Powder | Confusion

Stonf the Geodude
Rash Lv 16
Tackle | Magnitude | Mega Punch | Rock Throw

Superior the Nidorina
Bold Lv 17
Growl | Scratch | Tail Whip | Double Kick

Spear the Spearow
Docile Lv 10
Peck | Growl | Leer

Dead:
Sensei the Mankey
Sky the Pidgey

jombii

Years
UPDATE

Leveling my team up to Level 20 seemed a bit daunting and boring so I decided to challenge my rival on the Nugget Bridge.

vs Red

His first Pokemon was Pidgeotto so naturally Stonf was up. Two Rock Throws later, it's over. Charmander also fell with a Magnitude. He sent out his Abra which I know for a fact only learns Teleport so I sent out Stuart for the free experience. Rattata fell to one Double Kick from Superior. My team is getting more solid with each battle.

Route 24

Went north for Route 24 and Nugget Bridge. Cleared it and refused to become a Team Rocket lol. Of course, the first thing I do here is get my next Pokemon. Aaaand, it's an Abra. It's a 90% chance it will just teleport away from me and it did. Oh well. Bad luck lol. Went to Route 25.

Route 25

First wild Pokemon is a Weedle. Well, as I don't have one, I think I should catch it. And I did, nicknamed Spike but since my team is full, I'd have to wait for one of this mons to die before I use Weedle. And I'd rather not lol. I proceeded until I freed Bill from his eternal hell

vs. Misty

Here come's the gym! I expect Seed will be the MVP of this gym. Let's find out. Misty sent out a Staryu first. I forced her to use her Super Potions now as Vine Whip was not actually OHKOing. Next up was Starmie. Now, I knew I had to be careful around this as it also has the psychic-type. So naturally. Seed stays in. AND IT WAS CLOSE. MY heart stops. Seed survived a Water pulse and Swift by 3 HP. It's nice! Seed grew to Level 22.

And that's for my update.

Seed the Ivysaur
Jolly Lv 22
Tackle | Sleep Powder | Leech Seed | Razor Leaf

Stuart the Rattata
Jolly Lv 13
Tackle | Tail Whip | Quick Attack | Hyper Fang

Silk the Butterfree
Impish Lv 21

Stonf the Geodude
Rash Lv 20

Superior the Nidorina
Bold Lv 19
Poison Sting | Scratch | Tail Whip | Double Kick

Spear the Spearow
Docile Lv 10
Peck | Growl | Leer

Box:
Spike the Weedle
Docile Lv 8
Poison Sting | String Shot

Dead:
Sensei the Mankey
Sky the Pidgey

jombii

Years
UPDATE

vs Dig Thief

I was planning for Stuart to get some experience on this battle but his first Machop ensured that Stuart would not be getting all the experience for himself. I sent out Butterfree for Confusion. Stuart went out against the Drowzee and made quick work of it with Hyper Fang and Quick Attack. Taught Superior Dig. Onwards we go.

Route 5
Saw a Meowth and wasn't necessarily excited with it. Still caught it and named it Sale. Onwards!

Route 6

Whew, a bunch of trainers. I will be leaving this Route untouched. I'm going to wait for the Good Rod since Slowpokes can be found here and I'm hoping to get one. Better stay off the grass now. Trainers here were loaded with experience which rounded my team quite nicely.

Vermillion City and SS Anne

I got the Old Rod and I will immediately try for a Magikarp here in this city. And I fished one! Sent it to sleep and started chucking balls. Caught it and nicknamed it Strife. Boxed it and reserved! Decided to skip on the Diglett's Cave and the Route 11. Let's clear SS Anne first. Experience is abundant here. Started to level up my Spear for the sake of it. Stuart evolved to Raticate which gladdens me. So far, this run is proving to be easy. Here's Red. And I forgot to heal lol.

vs Red
Pidgeotto as usual went down with Rock Throw from Stonf. Charmeleon from a Dig from Superior (well three Digs actually.) Kadabra went down after Stuart used Hyper Fang. So does his Raticate. RIP Red. Git gud.

I'll leave my update with that. Till next time.

Seed the Ivysaur
Jolly Lv 23

Stuart the Rattata
Jolly Lv 21
Tackle | Tail Whip | Quick Attack | Hyper Fang

Silk the Butterfree
Impish Lv 22

Stonf the Geodude
Rash Lv 22

Superior the Nidorina
Bold Lv 21
Poison Sting | Scratch | Dig | Double Kick

Spear the Spearow
Docile Lv 14
Peck | Growl | Leer | Fury Attack

Box:
Spike the Weedle
Docile Lv 8

Sale the Meowth
Modest Lv 12
Scratch | Growl | Bite

Strife the Magikarp
Relaxed Lv 5
Splash

Dead:
Sensei the Mankey
Sky the Pidgey

jombii

Years
UPDATE

In preparation for Lt. Surge, I taught Cut to Stuart (of course, who else). And, I went to Diglett Cave and Route 11 for new Pokemon.

Diglett Cave

And it's a Diglett. I don't think there is any surprise with that since the cave is indeed named Diglett's Cave. Powdered her to sleep and got it in one Pokeball. Going to nickname it Shake. It's going on my team in case someone else dies.

Route 11

Trainers are abundant and so is experience. Wild Pokemon that appeared first is a Spearow. Second one is a Sandshrew and I get to think, what is with all this ground-types. Still caught it and nicknamed it Sand. Nice. Grinding continues on the route. Got a lot of close calls but my team pulled through. After defeating all the trainers, I decided it's time to defeat Lt. Surge.

Vs. Lt. Surge

Stonf will be the MVP and as such will take the lead. Voltorb fell with one Magnitude. Also Pikachu, after three because I missed two Magnitudes lol. And Raichu too. Man, this run is easy. I got my third badge just like that. As a reward, Stonf evolved to Graveler. Onwards now!

Route 9

Bunch of trainers here as well. It means that my Pokemon will get stronger. Spear evolved to Fearow, adding another formidable member to my team. There's grass here which means new Pokemon. First one is Rattata, then a Sandshrew, and another one. After a few wild Pokemon, I realized I caught everything here. There's nothing new here. Oh well. Probably going to skip this one too.

Route 10

Grass. And Voltorb shows up! It's not bad. I caught it and named it Spark. As usual, it will be boxed and waiting for a death.

Rock Tunnel

Full of Geodudes here. Was hoping for a Cubone but Zubat of course was the Pokemon that popped out. Oh well. This would be awesome if there was a Crobat but nah. Still catching it though. Named Sucker. AND OF COURSE STUART JUST DIED. I was not paying enough attention as it got poisoned I think by an Oddish. RIP STUART. The rest of the tunnel was uneventful. I got out and released Stuart. Decided to put Magikarp in the team since I needed a Water-type. Diglett can shake off.

Lavander Town

This town will be more relevant later. Update ends here. See you next time!

Seed the Ivysaur
Jolly Lv 28

Silk the Butterfree
Impish Lv 22

Stonf the Graveler
Rash Lv 26

Superior the Nidorina
Bold Lv 25
Poison Sting | Bite | Dig | Double Kick

Spear the Fearow
Docile Lv 25
Peck | Pursuit | Leer | Fury Attack

Strife the Magikarp
Relaxed Lv 9
Splash

Box:
Spike the Weedle
Docile Lv 8

Sale the Meowth
Modest Lv 12
Scratch | Growl | Bite

Shake the Diglett
Docile Lv 16
Sand Attack | Growl | Scratch | Magnitude

Sand the Sandshrew
Adamant Lv 12
Scratch | Defense Curl | Sand Attack

Spark the Voltorb
Bold Lv 16
Charge | Tackle | Screech | Sonicboom

Sucker the Zubat
Brave Lv 16
Leech Life | Supersonic | Astonish | Bite

Dead:
Sensei the Mankey
Sky the Pidgey
Stuart the Raticate

jombii

Years
UPDATE

Route 8

I?m determined to train Strife so I let him lead the party. Silk is also lagging a little behind so I decided I will be rotating between the two of them. However, Silk decided it would not have anything on me and died on a Grimer. I don?t have a Cut Pokemon with me at the moment so Route 8 Pokemon is going to stay for the moment.

Route 7

Now, new route, new Pokemon. Meowth, Pidgey, and a Vulpix. This is actually nice. But he has other plans. He roared his way out the battle and I missed my chance. That?s not a good thing. Oh well.

Celadon City

Got my free Eevee. Nicknamed Stem. I then remembered that I needed a Cut Pokemon to access the Celadon City Gym. So Seed?s Tackle went and Cut is in. Time to reroute back to Route 8. Meowth, Pidgey, Sandshrew, and another Vulpix. I?m throwing a Great Ball first turn to prevent that Roar. Caught it on the second great ball. Naming it Scorch and sending it to the box. Too bad my team?s full as Scorch would be a great addition to the party before Erika?s gym. I have to make do. Now off to the Celadon Gym. Strife evolved inside the gym. And of course, Strife died at the hands of an Exeggcute. I also have to sacrifice Spark to heal some of my Pokemon. I lost two of my Pokemon to a trainer. It doesn?t matter. I have other Pokemon in my box. It?s just too bad I lost two potential monsters. RIP Spark and Strife. I?m putting Scorch the Vulpix and Sucker to my team. Have to grind my team first. Scorch needs a high level.

Seed the Ivysaur
Jolly Lv 28

Stonf the Graveler
Rash Lv 26

Superior the Nidorina
Bold Lv 25

Spear the Fearow
Docile Lv 25

Scorch the Vulpix
Jolly Lv 15
Ember | Tail Whip | Roar | Quick Attack

Sucker the Zubat
Brave Lv 16
Leech Life | Astonish | Supersonic | Bite

Box:
Spike the Weedle
Docile Lv 8

Sale the Meowth
Modest Lv 12
Scratch | Growl | Bite

Shake the Diglett
Docile Lv 16
Sand Attack | Growl | Scratch | Magnitude

Sand the Sandshrew
Adamant Lv 12
Scratch | Defense Curl | Sand Attack

Stem the Eevee
Brave Lv 25
Helping Hand | Sand-Attack | Growl | Quick Attack

Dead:
Sensei the Mankey
Sky the Pidgey
Stuart the Raticate
Silk the Butterfree
Strife the Gyarados
Spark the Voltorb

jombii

Years
UPDATE

So, I grinded Scorch to a high enough level to have it learn Flamethrower. Upon doing that, I immediately evolved it to a Ninetales since it practically learns nothing useful later on. Now, onto the gym!

And Erika was easy. With Scorch?s new Flamethrower attack, I burnt all those grass to ashes. Now, on to the Game Corner.

Started clearing the place with Sucker in the lead. Soon enough, it evolved to Golbat. Too bad I can?t have a Crobat in here. Defeated Giovanni with Seed and his Razor Leaf putting in good work for his Onix and Rhyhorn and Superior putting Kanghaskhan down with Double Kick. Acquired the Silph Scope and back to Lavender Town!

Lavender Town

Now for the Pokemon Tower. Defeated Rival, but had a hard time with his Thrashing Gyarados. On another hand, found a Gastly. Captured it and named it Specter. Grinded my team to Level 30 and decided to go onwards and upwards. Encountered the Ghost Marowak and set out Seed. However, it decided to kill Seed using a Bonemerang. You will be missed. Withdrew Stem the Eevee.

Update ends here. Grieving for my starter.

graveler.png

Stonf the Graveler
Rash Lv 30

nidorina.png

Superior the Nidorina
Bold Lv 30

fearow.png

Spear the Fearow
Docile Lv 30