• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Charizard, Venusaur or Blastoise?

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I've used all 3 many times and I've had pros and cons for all, and enjoyed all 3.

1. Venasaur is the go to if you want a challenge, tho he makes the first 3 gyms quite easier, but the getting through the game is more difficult. With the lack of water, fire, etc for awhile, it can get frustrating, unless you are using Pokemon like Pidgey, Spearow, Mankey it could make things a little easier.

2. Charmander has a disadvantage early on in the game, but Oddish/Bellsprout made it easier for Misty. Once Charmander is fully evolved he can learn Fly, which is a good STAB and useful HM, freeing a slot instead of having a flying type. Also making the game easier once you have a solid team to go with it.

3. Blastoise is of big help early on, a solid starter throughout the game and for the Elite Four as well, and he can learn Ice Beam which is of huge help against Lance and Surf as a good STAB HM.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 28, 2018
Venusaur is my favourite starter,It seems he doesnt get much love compared to the other two,even Ken Sugimori the artist hated the design of Venusaur back in the day,the Green verson sprite says it all there lol

All in all id say as a starter in gen one picking Bulbasaur is the best bet as the two gyms at the start are easy to beat etc But my first game was yellow version so I got all three of them in the game.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I love them all! My favourite of the three final forms is Charizard as he looks very impressive and has an interesting typing, but I'm also a very big fan of both Venusaur/Blastoise. As for which has the advantage, I think Blastoise probably wins as I'm sure his Ice-type attacks will deal swiftly with Venusaur.

AetherBoyMicha

Aether Employee
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 5, 2023
I always use Blastoise over Charizard and Venusaur, as for the topic Blastoise does have an advantage against both of them because it gets Ice type coverage against Venusaur and unless Charizard goes mega X it'd hit it super effective with STAB too. Charizard can learn Solar Beam I think though.

Years
I like Blastoise, amazing design, good Pokemon, full of nostalgia and can help you on your journey, but it was the counter to Charizard not Venusaur.

Let's not forget that Venusaur is faster than Blastoise so it is going to hit first. Blastoise's special was 25 points lower than it is today. Grass moves automatically are special in gen 1, so Blastoise will be hit by crit hits and stab super-effective damage in the area where his defense are not quite as fortified. It could survive 1 razor leaf from Venusaur but not 2. It has to just one shot Venusaur on its turn, which even the strongest possible ice move Blizzard would not be enough to do. It would have to be very lucky and get a freeze hax. I was surprised to find that Venusaur's special was enough to withstand an assault even from Articuno when I did the damage calcs with RBY mechanics.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I usually go with Venasaur. I don't understand why it doesn't get as much love as Blastoise or Charizard. I think its just as strong as the others and always have a good time using it.

Ultra Sun

Yes this is PC user Sun lol
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 29, 2022
Type wise, I'd go with Blastoise and back then I believe my very first starter was Squirtle. I'd like to think that the turtle Pokemon was the reason and origin for my Water-type love.

Nowadays, I prefer Venusaur. This is especially true starting in Gen VI, something about its 3D sprite makes me adore it! I think Venusaur is a cute Pokemon. :D

As for Charizard, it's almost everyone's favorite, back and present. I don't hate it, in fact, it looks hella cool! While it isn't my top most favorite Pokemon, I'm sure it's a Pokemon that I will never learn to hate nor dislike for years to come!

Years
  • Seen yesterday
If we're specifically talking about the final forms, then Blastoise. But I usually stick to Ivysaur (yes, not Venusaur).

Lord Flamingo

Hmm, pretzels.
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Apr 13, 2018
Venusaur first - weird but equally good design, good typing (in Kanto's case, of course! Otherwise, it'll fall to a lot of Pokémon) and great move pool. Then, Charizard (it's a fire dragon, despite not being able to learn Fly in the first Gen. ironically) and then Blastoise (sorry, but I can't find anything charming about it). The Kanto trio is very cool.

Years
I personally love both Venusaur and Charizard, with maybe a slight preference towards Venusaur. Blastoise is okay, but I prefer its previous evolutions (I wish it resembled Wartortle more, with its gorgeous tail).

Years
Charizard's my fave, but I think Blastoise is the most useful in game (which I think is the point of this topic), since it can be taught Ice Beam, Surf + Earthquake so it can pretty much 1 or 2 shot everything in the game.

Venusaur's a close second though, or maybe tied. Decent stats, Sleep Powder (useful for catching Pokemon), Leech Seed + Body Slam. In Gen 1 Razor Leaf almost always critical hits, making it a really powerful move with STAB.

Years
Charizard's my fave, but I think Blastoise is the most useful in game (which I think is the point of this topic), since it can be taught Ice Beam, Surf + Earthquake so it can pretty much 1 or 2 shot everything in the game.

Venusaur's a close second though, or maybe tied. Decent stats, Sleep Powder (useful for catching Pokemon), Leech Seed + Body Slam. In Gen 1 Razor Leaf almost always critical hits, making it a really powerful move with STAB.

And more, earthquake is my favorite ground-type move and my favorite tm to teach.
It'so freaking powerful, can even one-shot water-types.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Blastoise is the best in game and IMO looks the most badass.

Charizard and Venusaur may have double typing, but in the case of charizard both his types share a weakness which is something I try to avoid. Venusaur has 4 weaknesses whilst it's poison typing doesn't really add anything - he could have just been a grass type who learns some poison moves along the way.

Blastoise can learn a ton of different moves, is a good fighter in general, and the best pick for most of the game.

Years
I always picked Charizard. That's my personal preference as he's my favourite pok?mon.

But in the old speedruns I'm sure they picked Blastoise out of the 3 (before later moving on to Nidoking), I can't remember why, but maybe it was the moves.

atmmachine11

Jumping portals since 1997.
Years
Blastoise but due to nostalgia I love all three. I'm mainly picking Blastoise since I have the most attachment to it and it's the one I used the most (as Squirtle is my favorite Pokemon of all time).

Back