• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"When can you call someone a Veteran Rom Hacker"

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
So yeah Hi first,

Well I don't remember where but I saw somewhere someone claiming to be a Veteran Rom Hacker now some days ago, and this question bugged me alot since then.

So when do you claim someone or yourself to be an Veteran Rom Hacker?

Does it depend on the years you/he/she/it were Hacking or on the work they're able to put up in a space of time?

Because to be honest I sometimes see people claiming being in Rom Hacking for like 2-3 years, and still doing one category of hacking(Graphic hacking,Scripting etc.) like they just started off.

Keep in mind that all PC rules apply here when you reply, and that this thread isn't here to claim anyone a Veteran Hacker or not. Since I don't really bother if I claim myself a Veteran Rom Hacker or not, since i still claim myself unexperienced :>

Oh yeah this thread has nothing to do with Veternas in PC, just in "Rom Hacking"<3

Bye, I cant wait for some replys :>

Anbuja~

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Well personally I think that is a titled earned not declared.
I've been hacking since 2009 and I still consider myself as a enthusiastic rom hacker :)
It just boils down to the quality, finishing and in depth knowledge on certain specific areas such as mapping, scripting, graphics etc2.

So I believe the community itself will award the term veteran rom hacker to those who deserve it.

my opinion only

Blah

Free supporter
Years
There's a bold difference between a "Veteran ROM Hacker" and a "Good ROM Hacker".
Veteran =/= Good or conjugate isn't true either. Some would even argue at people calling themselves "Hackers" as opposed to "Editors' -- there is a difference in definition. I wouldn't really care who calls themselves what, it doesn't matter and in the end that self proclaimed title isn't going to get them anything.

interdpth

I've seen things, man.
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2021
I consider myself to be a veteran. I've been actively hacking since 2003, minor breaks here and there. I hack to learn, I hacked just to make my editors. I learned ASM just for the heck of it. I took a challenge and coded an RTC with working clock in C, and transplanted it into one of my unfinished hacks just because it'd be cool. I've helped various communities. Had my no$gba debugger released. Was there for the early GBA days with Elitemap. I was even on the team.

To be a veteran ROM Hacker, first and foremost takes knowledge. Knowledge about the system their hacking, about the games. Being able to bring the skillset you learned from one game and apply it to another, you must spread knowledge. Because people that share learn from others that share. It also takes time and dedication.

I've seen thousands and thousands of hackers come and go, and only a small percent of that stayed. Don't lose your knowledge, retain it

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Being a veteran doesn't mean you know everything. It just means that you've accomplished some things that have garnered some kind of respect from your peers.

I guess interdpth worded it pretty well. I consider myself a veteran, but I know that there is still a lot for me to learn.

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
Well as I have the same opinion as interdepth i think that all of that has to do if your and Veteran in Rom Hacking or not.

Tbh I never cared really of that, since i don't claim to be one or anything else.
It's just that when I saw that statement the other day it interested me alot what other people think about being or calling someone/themselfs Veterans in Rom Hacking, since i really thought that someone should'nt think too much about that.

If you have fun hacking/editing a Rom you should'nt really care if someone calls you capable of something, as long as you know what you can do, you should'nt bother what everyone else thinks about you.

There will be always something you wont know about any category of hacking as interdepth stated up there <3

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
To me, it means that you've been hacking for a good while, and you've made some discoveries or documentation that has changed the way ROM Hacking works.

I'd say I'm a Veteran, as I've been around a good while, and I've made quite a few neat discoveries in the field of scripting and ASM. Unfortunately, I never released some, which I totally regret now, since my hard drive got screwed over.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I'm sure it depends on whether you can up your game and take it to the next level. to improve more, try different formats, like the Genesis, SNES, N64, etc. Try doing the romhacking through hex only, because that's where it all began. I wouldn't say that you needed to learn Assembly in order to be considered a veteran; if you can romhack 1 game that no one has made an editor for, then I would say you are a veteran, in my eyes, as long as big changes are made to the game, like levels for example.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
The veteran title goes firstly to person who's been hacking for a long time but secondly to the ones who are knowlegable and are widely known by the hacking community for their knowledge for a long time.
So the knowledge, working for a long time and the name hacker makes for him/herself are the most important aspects.

Trainer Jun

Team Rocket Veteran Trainer
Years
To be a veteran doesn't necessarily mean you've put a lot of time into it. You could become one by learning all the aspects of what it is you're doing, and properly applying them. Like Darthatron said, you have to have gained some respect and validation of some of your peers in order to have access to that title. I know I didn't directly quote him, but that's how I feel about this subject. I've been rom hacking for maybe a year now, and I'm learning so much... You could call me a veteran if you've seen what I've done in experimentation, but I'm still far too new to this to know anything to validate my existence in rom hacking.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
I am a Veteran ROM Hacker

I am working on my 3rd hack... but 1st with any substance...

and I fought in a war...

I am a Veteran... and a ROM Hacker

;P

I think titles are thinks people give to eachother, not claimed... If I said "Darthatron is a Veteran ROM Hacker" it only goes to show how I feel about his work... reguardless of everyone else... compaired to me, everyone has more veteran status in the hacking world... but thats not to say that my work looks so good someone might call me a veteran based on how impressed they are (theyd have to have low standards)...

i dont think its anything to be bothered over either way... its simply about respect, if i look up to someone and they tell me someone is a veteran... im going to look up to that person too... until they prove it wrong anyway... claiming to be a vet yourself means nothing.

Back