The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking Help Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Tool Awesome Map Editor (AME)

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.

Old October 29th, 2016 (10:22 AM).

Nature: Lax
    definitely excited for this! in the first stable beta are you gonna have the animation editor, or nah?
    Old October 29th, 2016 (7:06 PM).
    Formerly known as 11bayerf1

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Deokishisu View Post
      Suggestion, could you guys include an easier to use Door Manager than the one in this thread? I think that that's within the scope of a map editor like this to have, and it'd be great to not have to use that old, garbage program to mess with door animations.
      That's a really good point, I saw that tile animations were planned to be included so it could be nice to add this too. Maybe if there's a tile that has an existing animation when you click it, it could bring up all the associated tiles with it, could be the same with doors.

Unrelated, another suggestion I would potentially like seeing would be to restructure map banks and automatically assigning numbers to them.
      Old October 30th, 2016 (2:48 AM).

Quote:
      Suggestion, could you guys include an easier to use Door Manager than the one in this thread? I think that that's within the scope of a map editor like this to have, and it'd be great to not have to use that old, garbage program to mess with door animations.
      Lu-Ho made a door editor too which you can find here. Sure it could use some improvements but I've never had too much trouble with it. I would rather they focus on more important features myself.
      Old November 2nd, 2016 (7:27 PM).
      Amateur YouTuber/Pokémon Master

Nature: Calm
        Oh my god, yes! Honestly, I've been turned away from trying to build my own maps before because of Advance Map and it's lack of features that you two are actually adding! This is the first I've heard of this project, and I'm extremely excited to see how it progresses! I can just see myself actually having fun trying to make some test maps with this! Good luck you guys!
        Old November 4th, 2016 (1:45 AM).
        Pokemon Flux

Nature: Gentle
          For all of you saying A-Map sucks and everything, I just want to point out something.

Almost 99% of hacks around here have used A-Map as their mapping tool, and as you can see, results aren't so bad at all. So if you want to praise this tool over A-Map, please make sure you have tried to do a little more than adding trees to Pallet Town. Thank you.

Now, in order not to make this post off topic, I want to say that I really want to try this out. It's been so long since A-Map was last updated and it's always great to try out new programs. I can't wait :D
          Old November 15th, 2016 (11:38 AM).
          Defunct

This looks incredible! I don't really have any creative input, but it looks great.
            Old November 21st, 2016 (6:24 PM).
            Oh god the bees

Nature: Naive
            Quote:
            I... I think I love you and pokedude9. The teasers you've shown us so far with the connections on the screen and the multi tile selection are so clean and make so much sense. It's like AMap is an abusive spouse that we've been putting up with this whole time, and AME is that well-meaning friend who saves us and we eventually have 2 kids with and settle down in a nice neighborhood with a white picket fence and a good school district. We knew AMap was bad, but didn't really know how poorly it treated us until AME swept us off our feet.
            Hah, nice analogy. Hopefully you still feel the same way once the alpha comes out!
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by MrDollSteak View Post
            As others have said before this is just great! I've been waiting for MEH but this looks even better.

I'm just wondering how exactly triple tiles will work with AME. Will it be the same way its handled in AMAP? or would there be the possibility of viewing it as one tile?
            I definitely want to have full support for triple-layer blocks implemented within AME.
            Quote:
            That's definitely in the works!
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by buttjuice View Post
            definitely excited for this! in the first stable beta are you gonna have the animation editor, or nah?
            Definitely not for the first stable beta but eventually!
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by MrDollSteak View Post
            That's a really good point, I saw that tile animations were planned to be included so it could be nice to add this too. Maybe if there's a tile that has an existing animation when you click it, it could bring up all the associated tiles with it, could be the same with doors.

Unrelated, another suggestion I would potentially like seeing would be to restructure map banks and automatically assigning numbers to them.
            We were thinking of adding the ability to edit and preview tile animations from within AME, not sure what you mean by "associated tiles with it".
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by chrunch View Post
            Lu-Ho made a door editor too which you can find here. Sure it could use some improvements but I've never had too much trouble with it. I would rather they focus on more important features myself.
            Obviously it isn't a top priority right now, but definitely for later.
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by sykotiksonik View Post
            Oh my god, yes! Honestly, I've been turned away from trying to build my own maps before because of Advance Map and it's lack of features that you two are actually adding! This is the first I've heard of this project, and I'm extremely excited to see how it progresses! I can just see myself actually having fun trying to make some test maps with this! Good luck you guys!
            Thanks for your support!
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by BLAx501! View Post
            For all of you saying A-Map sucks and everything, I just want to point out something.

Almost 99% of hacks around here have used A-Map as their mapping tool, and as you can see, results aren't so bad at all. So if you want to praise this tool over A-Map, please make sure you have tried to do a little more than adding trees to Pallet Town. Thank you.

Now, in order not to make this post off topic, I want to say that I really want to try this out. It's been so long since A-Map was last updated and it's always great to try out new programs. I can't wait :D
            Just because the end results have been good doesn't mean that A-Map is a good program internally, or that the creators of hacks haven't been fighting it every step of the way. I can't speak for anyone else but I personally have fought with A-Map numerous times. It's not just buggy, it's closed source so nobody can fix the bugs later even if they had the knowledge and the capability. You have to make a modification in the binary of the program if you want to do something such as change the amount of map names or Pokémon available in the ROM because LU-HO didn't future-proof it.

I have a lot of pent-up aggression towards A-Map, and I believe I have more qualifications than just "adding trees to Pallet Town", so forgive me if I come off kind of abrasive towards A-Map and LU-HO.
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by FSBS View Post
            This looks incredible! I don't really have any creative input, but it looks great.
            Thanks!

My other resources:
            My Website
            diegoisawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial
            diegoisawesome's Miscellaneous Finds
            The Ruins of Alph Puzzles
            Diego's Miscellaneous Patches
            GBA Intro Manager
            The Secret Sauce: Triple-Layer Tiles
            Old November 21st, 2016 (6:30 PM).
            Impossible to gauge!

Nature: Serious
              Oh snap, it's coming. Me and my friend have been eyeing Awesome Map Editor for a long time. You've got a crazy-good product here and we can't wait to start using it.

Check out some of my screenshot LPs!:

One Offs | Pokemon Snakewood (#1) | Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (#2) | Pokemon Dark Rising 1 (#3) Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (#4- on hold) | Pokemon Dark Rising 2 (#5) | Pokemon Dark Rising: Order Destroyed (#5.5) | Sailor Moon: Another Story (#6 - current)

Something that isn't an LP but still might be worth your time: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Legacy of Hatred
              Old November 22nd, 2016 (11:13 AM).
              Six Sigma

Nature: Gentle
                I drove myself crazy trying to figure out how to properly use the source information given (I've never dealt directly with them, only binaries), only to then read the rest of the thread and learn that the first stable beta hasn't even been released xD

I have no experience with modding, hacking, etc, but sincerely look forward to my first experience being an advanced version of what my favorite hacks were made from :D
                Old November 22nd, 2016 (1:15 PM).
                Defunct

I've been mapping quite a bit lately, and I've been mapping for nearly two years. It's a steep learning curve for something that, at a glance, should be fairly simple and intuitive.

I don't really have any issues with Advance Map. It's functional and I've only ever encountered a single project-halting bug in all this time. However, I do have a wish-list of things I'd like to see in a new editor. Some of these may have already been suggested.

UNDO BUTTON. UNDO, UNDO, UNDO! And not just last input, but up to a number of previous actions - Undo Previous 10 Actions, for example. It would save time.

Another time saver: drag and drop to move, with copy and paste support. It would make filling in towns quicker, as well as clearing new maps and old ones.

In-game view, as previously suggested. Right now I have to consciously count 8 tiles from any given point to make sure the player wouldn't see weird stuff like bad bordering or tile errors; a 64-tile frame would make that so much easier than manually counting or placing flower tiles for reference.

You've already got the map connection preview, which I think is the Combee's knees. It's excellent, and one reason I'm very much looking forward to this project. I tried using A-Map 1.95's function and it tells me my maps do not exist (I've been expanding map sizes, might have to do with that?), so right now when I really need to see how borders mesh it's a matter of saving map pictures and lining them up in paint.

Pretty sure this is a limitation of the game themselves, but allowing use of all tiles available in the game for every map (without tile insertion or creation via the block editor) would be great.

Scroll-wheel support.

More map names! I want the new maps in my game to have their own names without using maps present in the base and renaming them. If I want to add Johto to Kanto, I shouldn't have to screw over the Sevii Islands to get some map names. (DISCLAIMER: if there's a way to do this, I don't know it and I am a very novice hacker with a community college level education in computer science.)

Maybe you guys are already planning on doing these things, maybe not, but it's my wish. Once again I'd like to express my excitement for this tool, thank those involved, and say that I have nothing but love for A-Map. If I never got my hack off the ground, just mapping itself is enjoyable and relaxing in itself.
                  Old November 23rd, 2016 (2:32 PM). Edited November 23rd, 2016 by easyaspi314.

Nature: Quirky
                    WOW. I love it already, and I haven't even finished installing QT! :D
                    1. If my presumptions are correct, no more having to deal with THESE.
                    2. Not having to run it in Wine on my MacBook (so I can Ctrl+Click again!)
                    3. The map boundaries is pretty sweet looking.
                    4. Nothing wrong with open source!

Advance Map is kinda like Windows as someone else said, but I say it is like being stuck in a 2-yr phone contract with an aging phone. It sucks, but you have to use it.

Until this. Well…until QT decides to hurry up and install!
                    easyaspi314 used RAGE!
                    It doesn't affect Foe COMPUTER…
                    Foe COMPUTER used SLOWNESS!
                    easyaspi314's PATIENCE harshly fell!

And just now,
                    Foe COMPUTER is about to use AUTOREBOOT!
                    easyaspi314's RAGE is building!

Oh, yeah, Windows 10 is AMAZING.
                    Old November 23rd, 2016 (7:25 PM). Edited November 23rd, 2016 by easyaspi314.

@Diegoisawesome
                      I have been struggling to build the project. I am getting a ton of these errors.
                      Code:
                      C:\Users\******\AwesomeMapEditor\src\Widgets\Rendering\AMEMapView.cpp:947: error: narrowing conversion of '0.0f' from 'float' to 'unsigned char' inside { }
                                       palettes.push_back({ 0.f, 0.f, 0.f, 0.f });
                                                                                ^
                      I am still trying to figure out how to get rid of the red X in the Kit options, and I am trying one thing that has to download another 4GB of junk on my computer.
                      Ten hours later…

Windows 10 Home x86
                      Old November 23rd, 2016 (8:28 PM).
                      Creator (with Diego) of AME and ASE

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by easyaspi314 View Post
                        @Diegoisawesome
                        I have been struggling to build the project. I am getting a ton of these errors.
                        Code:
                        C:\Users\******\AwesomeMapEditor\src\Widgets\Rendering\AMEMapView.cpp:947: error: narrowing conversion of '0.0f' from 'float' to 'unsigned char' inside { }
                                                                                  ^
                        I am still trying to figure out how to get rid of the red X in the Kit options, and I am trying one thing that has to download another 4GB of junk on my computer.
                        Ten hours later…

Windows 10 Home x86
                        If there are problems related to the code (especially the map-loading or rendering code), you can also ask me, as I've written almost all of it...

Alright, the reason for your error is that we've just recently switched from hardware rendering (OpenGL) to software rendering for various reasons. While we had palettes that consisted of four float components before, we now have simple unsigned integers ranging from 0 to 255. The issue can therefore be resolved by changing { 0.f, 0.f, 0.f, 0.f }
                        to { 0, 0, 0, 0 }.

Best regards
                        Old November 25th, 2016 (9:21 AM). Edited November 25th, 2016 by easyaspi314.

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by pokedude9 View Post
                          If there are problems related to the code (especially the map-loading or rendering code), you can also ask me, as I've written almost all of it...

Alright, the reason for your error is that we've just recently switched from hardware rendering (OpenGL) to software rendering for various reasons. While we had palettes that consisted of four float components before, we now have simple unsigned integers ranging from 0 to 255. The issue can therefore be resolved by changing { 0.f, 0.f, 0.f, 0.f }
                          to { 0, 0, 0, 0 }.

Best regards
                          OK. I changed compilers to the correct one. It stopped complaining about that, but now it doesn't recognize the library projects.

I am 99% sure I have the directory structure wrong. What is it supposed to be like?

There is only 1 explanation…
                          QT Creator hates me!!!
                          (easyaspi314's RAGE is building!)

Seriously. It looks awesome, but it is more difficult to use than Eclipse! It is the only IDE I have used that has a compiler but doesn't work out of the box.
                          Old November 25th, 2016 (1:43 PM).
                          Creator (with Diego) of AME and ASE

Guess what: Diego and me had the same opinion about QtCreator when first using it. But now, we just love it. Have you taken a look at the README? It clearly states what you have to to... -> https://github.com/Diegoisawesome/AwesomeMapEditor/blob/master/README.md

The only tricky step is step 3. Step 3 requires you to select the "Projects" tab in the tab control on the left, to tick "Shadow-Build" and to specify the Build-Directory to "bin/". I am pretty sure it doesn't find the libraries because you are building to the default directory, which is something like "build-MinGW-4-8-0blabla" on Windows :P.
                            Old November 25th, 2016 (3:33 PM). Edited November 25th, 2016 by easyaspi314.

Location: Johto. Or, to be serious, Massachusetts.
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by pokedude9 View Post
                              Guess what: Diego and me had the same opinion about QtCreator when first using it. But now, we just love it. Have you taken a look at the README? It clearly states what you have to to... -> https://github.com/Diegoisawesome/AwesomeMapEditor/blob/master/README.md

The only tricky step is step 3. Step 3 requires you to select the "Projects" tab in the tab control on the left, to tick "Shadow-Build" and to specify the Build-Directory to "bin/". I am pretty sure it doesn't find the libraries because you are building to the default directory, which is something like "build-MinGW-4-8-0blabla" on Windows :P.
                              Thanks. I finally got it working (mostly, I have to run it from the IDE, double-clicking on the EXE gives an error). I had to tweak with the .pro files and the config. :/

So, if I am not mistaken, this only works on vanilla ROMs at the moment? I tried following repointers on Liquid Crystal in the INI to try and get it to work (I don't know exactly where it is), but I got a segfault. But, that is what an alpha build is.

I am not complaining at all. It is incredibly responsive, works amazing (in terms of what is actually functional, of course), and is much more user-friendly, especially:
                              • Scrolling with the scroll wheel
                              • Spawn percentages/rod separators
                              • Map connections (although for a future suggestion, a double click on the area should go to the connected map)
                              • Seeing where you are hovering.

By the way, I changed the movement icons to have the FRLG font, and did a stripes thing on the no-movement one. Anything is better than the aliased serif ones.

In case you are wondering, I used the font from here and changed the dimensions around.
                              Old November 28th, 2016 (12:08 AM).
                              Oh god the bees

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Rainbow Chara X View Post
                              Oh snap, it's coming. Me and my friend have been eyeing Awesome Map Editor for a long time. You've got a crazy-good product here and we can't wait to start using it.
                              Thanks for the support!
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by SigmaSeed View Post
                              I drove myself crazy trying to figure out how to properly use the source information given (I've never dealt directly with them, only binaries), only to then read the rest of the thread and learn that the first stable beta hasn't even been released xD

I have no experience with modding, hacking, etc, but sincerely look forward to my first experience being an advanced version of what my favorite hacks were made from :D
                              Thanks!
                              Quote:
                              I've been mapping quite a bit lately, and I've been mapping for nearly two years. It's a steep learning curve for something that, at a glance, should be fairly simple and intuitive.

I don't really have any issues with Advance Map. It's functional and I've only ever encountered a single project-halting bug in all this time. However, I do have a wish-list of things I'd like to see in a new editor. Some of these may have already been suggested.

UNDO BUTTON. UNDO, UNDO, UNDO! And not just last input, but up to a number of previous actions - Undo Previous 10 Actions, for example. It would save time.

Another time saver: drag and drop to move, with copy and paste support. It would make filling in towns quicker, as well as clearing new maps and old ones.

In-game view, as previously suggested. Right now I have to consciously count 8 tiles from any given point to make sure the player wouldn't see weird stuff like bad bordering or tile errors; a 64-tile frame would make that so much easier than manually counting or placing flower tiles for reference.

You've already got the map connection preview, which I think is the Combee's knees. It's excellent, and one reason I'm very much looking forward to this project. I tried using A-Map 1.95's function and it tells me my maps do not exist (I've been expanding map sizes, might have to do with that?), so right now when I really need to see how borders mesh it's a matter of saving map pictures and lining them up in paint.

Pretty sure this is a limitation of the game themselves, but allowing use of all tiles available in the game for every map (without tile insertion or creation via the block editor) would be great.

Scroll-wheel support.

More map names! I want the new maps in my game to have their own names without using maps present in the base and renaming them. If I want to add Johto to Kanto, I shouldn't have to screw over the Sevii Islands to get some map names. (DISCLAIMER: if there's a way to do this, I don't know it and I am a very novice hacker with a community college level education in computer science.)

Maybe you guys are already planning on doing these things, maybe not, but it's my wish. Once again I'd like to express my excitement for this tool, thank those involved, and say that I have nothing but love for A-Map. If I never got my hack off the ground, just mapping itself is enjoyable and relaxing in itself.
                              We definitely want undo/redo support as one of our top priorities; whether it makes it into the first alpha or not is unknown but definitely something we want to do.
                              What, specifically, do you mean by "drag and drop to move, with copy and paste support"? Could you elaborate on that a bit more? I have a hunch that we may have already implemented something like what you want but I'm not certain.
                              In-game view: clearly that's something that people want, so it'll definitely have to be done at some point. Most likely not for the first alpha, though.
                              The tile limitation isn't even due to the game, really, it's the GBA hardware itself and how it uses graphics.
                              What do you want with scroll-wheel support? Like scrolling up and down on the map listing and on the map itself, or what else? Zooming?
                              More map names are definitely possible. FireRed has a ton of available map names before Pallet Town that we normally can't use because of the way it works internally. We definitely want to open those up to use.
                              Quote:
                              WOW. I love it already, and I haven't even finished installing QT! :D
                              1. If my presumptions are correct, no more having to deal with THESE.
                              2. Not having to run it in Wine on my MacBook (so I can Ctrl+Click again!)
                              3. The map boundaries is pretty sweet looking.
                              4. Nothing wrong with open source!

Advance Map is kinda like Windows as someone else said, but I say it is like being stuck in a 2-yr phone contract with an aging phone. It sucks, but you have to use it.

Until this. Well…until QT decides to hurry up and install!
                              easyaspi314 used RAGE!
                              It doesn't affect Foe COMPUTER…
                              Foe COMPUTER used SLOWNESS!
                              easyaspi314's PATIENCE harshly fell!

And just now,
                              Foe COMPUTER is about to use AUTOREBOOT!
                              easyaspi314's RAGE is building!

Oh, yeah, Windows 10 is AMAZING.
                              Yup, no more cascading dialog boxes with errors! Now if you have problems, they'll all be collected into one dialog that you can browse through (and save) at your leisure. (oh yeah, hopefully no more errors to begin with too)
                              Quote:
                              @Diegoisawesome
                              Code:
                                                                                        ^
                              Ten hours later…

Windows 10 Home x86
                              Sorry you had so much problems and I didn't see your posts until now, but I'm glad you were able to get it sorted.
                              Quote:
                              So, if I am not mistaken, this only works on vanilla ROMs at the moment? I tried following repointers on Liquid Crystal in the INI to try and get it to work (I don't know exactly where it is), but I got a segfault. But, that is what an alpha build is.

I am not complaining at all. It is incredibly responsive, works amazing (in terms of what is actually functional, of course), and is much more user-friendly, especially:
                              • Scrolling with the scroll wheel
                              • Spawn percentages/rod separators
                              • Map connections (although for a future suggestion, a double click on the area should go to the connected map)
                              • Seeing where you are hovering.

By the way, I changed the movement icons to have the FRLG font, and did a stripes thing on the no-movement one. Anything is better than the aliased serif ones.

In case you are wondering, I used the font from here and changed the dimensions around.
                              At the moment, we're only working with vanilla FireRed to test with as A-Map has silently internally broken countless hacks that we need to write workarounds and fixes for.
                              Those new permissions look snazzy and much more like our entity images, but that's not the FireRed font, or at least they were resized weirdly and look much more like the Emerald font. I can recreate what you did with the FR font, or you can if you want.

My other resources:
                              My Website
                              GBA Intro Manager
                              Old November 28th, 2016 (2:24 AM).
                              Resident ASMAGICIAN

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Diegoisawesome View Post
                                Those new permissions look snazzy and much more like our entity images, but that's not the FireRed font, or at least they were resized weirdly and look much more like the Emerald font. I can recreate what you did with the FR font, or you can if you want.
                                You should honestly change how movement permissions are shown. While most map editors act like it's the upper 6 bits that determine collision, e.g.

Code:
                                struct MapTile {
                                    u16 tile : 10;
                                    u16 permission : 6;
                                };
                                It's actually more,

Code:
                                struct MapTile {
                                    u16 obstacle : 2;
                                    u16 height : 4;
                                };
                                When the obstacle bits are 0 the tile is passable, when they are non-zero the player's passage is blocked. I honestly have no idea what the values 2 and 3 are for because I've never seen them explicitly used (they seem to be treated exactly like 1), but 1 is typically used to indicate that the tile is impassable on its height.

The height bits are used to block the player from climbing cliffs. 3 is the default height, which is why "movement permission" 0xC is used as the general passable tile.

Heights 0 and 0xF are special cased. Both of these heights ignore the height check. The former is used to apply to all levels (which is why permission 0 allows transitioning heights and 1 is an obstacle on all heights), the later is to allow the player to walk under bridges without changing height (see bridges such as in Fortree City). Height 1 is chosen as the surfing height, but this is only by convention: the actual height chosen is not important and serves only to prevent the player simply walking into the water (surfing is handled by block behaviours, not movement permissions). This makes the waves icon for height 1 very misleading (see spoiler).

Spoiler:

It might also be important that a higher value for height does not seemingly imply a higher place. Route
                                120 in Emerald seems to use a higher value on a visually lower place on the map - all that is required is that the heights differ if you don't want the player to pass through.

I would suggest you split "Movement Permissions" into a height map and obstacle map or something so that you reduce confusion on maps that use varying heights extensively like Mossdeep City or Route 119. Emerald typically has way more variety in terms of mapping features so I think you should probably test your tool out there instead of just on FIreRed.

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
                                Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
                                Old November 28th, 2016 (7:05 AM). Edited November 28th, 2016 by easyaspi314.

Quote:
                                  What, specifically, do you mean by "drag and drop to move, with copy and paste support"? Could you elaborate on that a bit more? I have a hunch that we may have already implemented something like what you want but I'm not certain.
                                  They mean, for example, selecting a house and dragging a copy of it to a different part of the map.

Or, making templates for, say, a Pokémon Center, that you can just drag from a sidebar.

I agree, that would make cities easier.

Quote:
                                  Yup, no more cascading dialog boxes with errors! Now if you have problems, they'll all be collected into one dialog that you can browse through (and save) at your leisure. (oh yeah, hopefully no more errors to begin with too)
                                  Or when you have hold down enter one because it throws like 50 error boxes at you. *shudder*

Quote:
                                  Sorry you had so much problems and I didn't see your posts until now, but I'm glad you were able to get it sorted.
                                  No prob.

Quote:
                                  At the moment, we're only working with vanilla FireRed to test with as A-Map has silently internally broken countless hacks that we need to write workarounds and fixes for.
                                  I am perfectly fine with that.

It is much better than A-Map breaking stuff (I have to use the 1.92hacked version).

One time, I put some blocks over some code. All of a sudden, repels didn't work. Weird.
                                  Another example: I was trying to replace some of Emerald's tiles last night and I had to close/reopen it to see the changes in the palette, and eventually, it even screwed up the palettes, making everything psychedelic. (FRLG's tiles >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RSE). Imagine how well Emerald would've sold if they used some of FR's tiles. FR's grass…looked like grass.

Or, at least FRLG's palette. FireRed was green and brown. Emerald was teal and reddish-brown. :P

Quote:
                                  Thanks. They were resized because the letters, numbers, and question marks were different heights. It looked great in a sentence, but not very good in a grid.

Plus, vertically centering it is really difficult.

I could use the Emerald font, if you wish. Emerald font looks better, anyways. Just the question mark will be distorted in that case. And very slightly.
                                  Old November 28th, 2016 (8:04 AM).
                                  Defunct

Quote:
                                    Thanks for the support!

Thanks!

We definitely want undo/redo support as one of our top priorities; whether it makes it into the first alpha or not is unknown but definitely something we want to do.
                                    In-game view: clearly that's something that people want, so it'll definitely have to be done at some point. Most likely not for the first alpha, though.
                                    What do you want with scroll-wheel support? Like scrolling up and down on the map listing and on the map itself, or what else? Zooming?
                                    On the first point; able to press a button and then drag a frame over an area of tiles (and perhaps even the pallet) and then move the selected tiles to another part of the map; in addition, being able to copy the selected tileset and then paste it somewhere else (such as copying a 5x5 tile pokemon center and then being able to paste and move the entire copied building elsewhere on the map.) I was told A-Map has that sort of feature, but somehow I've never found it.
                                    On the second point, being able to scroll up and down the map itself. Other options would be cool, but that's all I was really thinking of.
                                    Old November 28th, 2016 (8:33 PM).
                                    Oh god the bees

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Touched View Post
                                    You should honestly change how movement permissions are shown. While most map editors act like it's the upper 6 bits that determine collision, e.g.

Code:
                                    struct MapTile {
                                        u16 permission : 6;
                                    };
                                    It's actually more,

Code:
                                    struct MapTile {
                                        u16 obstacle : 2;
                                        u16 height : 4;
                                    };
                                    When the obstacle bits are 0 the tile is passable, when they are non-zero the player's passage is blocked. I honestly have no idea what the values 2 and 3 are for because I've never seen them explicitly used (they seem to be treated exactly like 1), but 1 is typically used to indicate that the tile is impassable on its height.

The height bits are used to block the player from climbing cliffs. 3 is the default height, which is why "movement permission" 0xC is used as the general passable tile.

Heights 0 and 0xF are special cased. Both of these heights ignore the height check. The former is used to apply to all levels (which is why permission 0 allows transitioning heights and 1 is an obstacle on all heights), the later is to allow the player to walk under bridges without changing height (see bridges such as in Fortree City). Height 1 is chosen as the surfing height, but this is only by convention: the actual height chosen is not important and serves only to prevent the player simply walking into the water (surfing is handled by block behaviours, not movement permissions). This makes the waves icon for height 1 very misleading (see spoiler).

Spoiler:

It might also be important that a higher value for height does not seemingly imply a higher place. Route
                                    120 in Emerald seems to use a higher value on a visually lower place on the map - all that is required is that the heights differ if you don't want the player to pass through.

I would suggest you split "Movement Permissions" into a height map and obstacle map or something so that you reduce confusion on maps that use varying heights extensively like Mossdeep City or Route 119. Emerald typically has way more variety in terms of mapping features so I think you should probably test your tool out there instead of just on FIreRed.
                                    You definitely have good ideas here, I want to take a close look at exactly how the games work with the second obstacle bit. I don't know if separating it into different tabs is ideal yet but we'll definitely see how to improve it.
                                    Quote:
                                    They mean, for example, selecting a house and dragging a copy of it to a different part of the map.

Or, making templates for, say, a Pokémon Center, that you can just drag from a sidebar.

I agree, that would make cities easier.

Or when you have hold down enter one because it throws like 50 error boxes at you. *shudder*

No prob.

I am perfectly fine with that.

It is much better than A-Map breaking stuff (I have to use the 1.92hacked version).

One time, I put some blocks over some code. All of a sudden, repels didn't work. Weird.
                                    Another example: I was trying to replace some of Emerald's tiles last night and I had to close/reopen it to see the changes in the palette, and eventually, it even screwed up the palettes, making everything psychedelic. (FRLG's tiles >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RSE). Imagine how well Emerald would've sold if they used some of FR's tiles. FR's grass…looked like grass.

Or, at least FRLG's palette. FireRed was green and brown. Emerald was teal and reddish-brown. :P

Thanks. They were resized because the letters, numbers, and question marks were different heights. It looked great in a sentence, but not very good in a grid.

Plus, vertically centering it is really difficult.

I could use the Emerald font, if you wish. Emerald font looks better, anyways. Just the question mark will be distorted in that case. And very slightly.
                                    Well we definitely have the multi-block selector; even A-Map has it.
                                    As for the movement blocks, hold off on doing anything yet as we have to see how we're going to tackle editing those first.
                                    Quote:
                                    On the first point; able to press a button and then drag a frame over an area of tiles (and perhaps even the pallet) and then move the selected tiles to another part of the map; in addition, being able to copy the selected tileset and then paste it somewhere else (such as copying a 5x5 tile pokemon center and then being able to paste and move the entire copied building elsewhere on the map.) I was told A-Map has that sort of feature, but somehow I've never found it.
                                    On the second point, being able to scroll up and down the map itself. Other options would be cool, but that's all I was really thinking of.
                                    Yup, A-Map and AME both have this feature, where you hold down Ctrl and drag with your right mouse button to select multiple blocks. I think we did it better, but regardless, this isn't a new feature.

My other resources:
                                    My Website
                                    GBA Intro Manager
                                    Old November 30th, 2016 (7:13 PM). Edited November 30th, 2016 by easyaspi314.

Read aloud in obnoxious announcer voice

I am pleased to announce…Movement Permission Icons 2.0.

Now featuring…
                                      • Actual Emerald Font (happy?)
                                      • Upscaled version for the sidebar (because there is space and people are going to be reading it, not looking at it visually like map tiles)
                                      • Yes, I did make a 2X version of the Emerald font. Because I wanted to.
                                      • Tiny (maybe a bit too tiny?) versions of the old A-Map hexadecimal icons in the corner of the larger tiles. I can also make an alternate version of the perm. tiles that are more friendly for converts from A-Map, but that is lower priority.
                                      • Caveat: Some code will have to be changed to support the larger icons. I know Java, I am taking a C++ course (we just learned pointers, that is where we are at), but I don't know QT. I can't help in the code much. I did, however, fix the layout (attached MainWindow.ui).
                                      • I do have a 1x version if you would like, without the A-Map symbols.

Awesome Map Editor _ Pokemon - Fire Red Version (U) (V1.0).gba _ [03, 07] FUCHSIA CITY 11_30_201.png

Edit: Fixed the small 3's. They looked great up close, but too much like shading in real size.
                                      Edit 2: 30, 31, 32…3B? I know how to count! >_>
                                      Attached Images
                                      File Type: png PermGL.png‎ (3.3 KB, 4 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                                      File Type: png Permissions_16x16.png‎ (10.7 KB, 22 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                                      Attached Files
                                      File Type: txt MainWindow.ui.txt‎ (401.6 KB, 0 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                                      Old November 30th, 2016 (7:50 PM).
                                      Oh god the bees

Quote:
                                      Read aloud in obnoxious announcer voice

I am pleased to announce…Movement Permission Icons 2.0.

Now featuring…
                                      • Actual Emerald Font (happy?)
                                      • Upscaled version for the sidebar (because there is space and people are going to be reading it, not looking at it visually like map tiles)
                                      • Yes, I did make a 2X version of the Emerald font. Because I wanted to.
                                      • Tiny (maybe a bit too tiny?) versions of the old A-Map hexadecimal icons in the corner of the larger tiles. I can also make an alternate version of the perm. tiles that are more friendly for converts from A-Map, but that is lower priority.
                                      • Caveat: Some code will have to be changed to support the larger icons. I know Java, I am taking a C++ course (we just learned pointers, that is where we are at), but I don't know QT. I can't help in the code much. I did, however, fix the layout (attached MainWindow.ui).
                                      • I do have a 1x version if you would like, without the A-Map symbols.

Attachment 80807

Edit: Fixed the small 3's. They looked great up close, but too much like shading in real size.
                                      Edit 2: 30, 31, 32…3B? I know how to count! >_>
                                      Thanks for this but like was suggested above, we're going to change how movement permissions are done, and in doing so it will probably not have this same appearance anymore. Sorry you put in all this work...

My other resources:
                                      My Website
                                      GBA Intro Manager
                                      Old December 1st, 2016 (6:14 AM).

Quote:
                                        Thanks for this but like was suggested above, we're going to change how movement permissions are done, and in doing so it will probably not have this same appearance anymore. Sorry you put in all this work...
                                        Oh, SURE!

Make me do all this work and then you decide not to use it?

JK. It's all good. [depression]I am used to being rejected.[/depression] Err… I am glad to have helped, though.

Also, IDK if it is just me, but changing to the Events tab in Fuschia crashes it.

Another idea: Icon.

Awesome Face on a green Poké Ball.
                                        Old December 2nd, 2016 (4:39 AM).
                                        TheGoldenRiolu TheGoldenRiolu is offline
                                        A.K.A. Cuprite1024

Nature: Bashful
                                          I need to use this map editor because Advance Map won't let me open my Rom with pokefreak890's 1020 rombase and I can't find a working download for MEH, but I don't understand how to download this.
                                          How do I download AME?

That moment when you realize you have way too many ideas for your own good.

Quick Reply