• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite main female companion

Who is your favorite main female companion in the anime?

• Misty (OS)

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • May (AG)

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Dawn (DP)

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Iris (BW)

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Serena (XY)

Votes: 22 22.9%
  • Lillie (SM)

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Firstly I respect your opion, but I disagree with what you said about May, Dawn and Serena.

How is Misty way more exciting then May?
May had great development and entred loads of contests, Misty barley did anything towards her goal.

And Serena is not more mature then Dawn, Serena went on a journey just to find a boy she had only known for 2 mins. Serena would have been hopeless if she was journeying by herself, Serena was afraid to even get a little dirty.
Dawn is much more mature then Serena. Dawn was pretty much the only Female to get the role of co star and Dawn was mature enough to make her own decisions while journeying.
And about her hair, she wanted it to look good, because if she had gone out in public with spikey up hair, people would have stared at her and thought she was lazy.
And who cares about Dawn's outfit, Dawn had brillaint development and a brillaint bond with Ash and personality.

I respect your opion about the characters though.

Honestly, Misty did a LOT of stuff, maybe not towards her goal (which I'll admit was indeed a flaw, but she at least did a LOT more than Brock did in his entire run for HIS goal. Heck, technically, she did more for her goal than Ash did in Johto, or even up to DP if you think about it [at least we knew the full endgame for her goal, as well as several key details about her goal beyond the Whirl Cup and similar competitions such as training with and interacting with Water Pok?mon and even researching them. Literally the only thing we knew for certain on Ash's goal was that he needed to get eight badges and at the very least compete in the regional leagues. We never got any confirmation whether he actually had to win a league to become a master or even fight the Elite 4 until DP, especially when they seemed to nix the idea that winning a league would have you become a Pok?mon Master in the Orange Islands where he continued to travel DESPITE winning the Orange League.), but a lot of stuff nonetheless (and let's not forget, Ash and anyone else would have been dead multiple times over, or at least not able to continue their journey if it weren't for her). And I'd argue she had FAR better genuine development than May ever did, character development at that (I'm sorry, but the "development" May got was cheap and truly weak development, not true development. Do you really expect me to believe that a girl who is the daughter of a Gym Leader and thus would naturally be exposed to Pok?mon Battles and by extension Pok?mon themselves constantly would HATE Pok?mon, and hating Pok?mon like she did in the beginning would actually have her being disrespectful to the entire profession of Pok?mon Trainer by even signing up. If you are going to be entering a Pok?mon Journey which will require you to be exposed to Pok?mon constantly, training them for various elements, you'd better like them. Otherwise, you really shouldn't have bothered signing up at all. And besides, it can't be due to problems in her family to drive her to hate Pok?mon. May if anything had better relations to her family than Misty and Brock did [both of whom were the victims of outright abandonment, with Misty being treated as the runt of the litter and barely got much respect even AFTER her sisters forced her into the gym against her will, and Brock having to essentially act as a foster parent to his siblings thanks to his parents deadbeat status], yet those two never hated Pok?mon in general, at worst only having a fear of bug types and a justifiable trauma towards Gyarados. Heck, she had way better family relationships than Jessie and James did with their families [Jessie, like Misty and Brock, was the victim of abandonment and constantly being transferred to multiple foster homes due to her mom working for Team Rocket and being on extensive leave, and James' parents tried to outright force him to marry a sadistic dominatrix who oddly resembled his partner in crime.], and even THEY don't hate Pok?mon at all, and they're ESPECIALLY notable since they were members of a group that had zero qualms with outright murdering Pok?mon. Misty's development came across as more natural.).

You mentioned Pok?mon Contests, but quite frankly, the overfocus the show had on them is actually one of the bigger problems behind it, especially for the no small fact that they're little more than a sidequest in the games that don't even impact the story, at most only being necessary to evolve a Feebas into a Milotic to get the latter's entry into the Pokedex. It keeps those trying to play the games out of the loop due to the blatant false advertising by giving overfocus to the goals (the point of the anime is to advertise the games, right? Well, how are newcomer players going to think when they realize that, unlike May in the anime, or even Dawn in DP, they literally don't have a choice but to challenge Gym Leaders). Misty's goal at least can be theoretically achieved in the games by raising up a pure water-type team from beginning all the way to the Elite 4 and Champion. Besides, I fail to see the appeal in Pok?mon Coordinating, which if it's anything like real life modeling is just going to have the characters wash out when they hit their 20s, not to mention enter drugs and possibly gain anorexia and bulimia, becoming extremely insecure about their appearances feeling they can only feel happy if they are the thinnest, prettiest, and all of that, and that's not even taking into account various other elements that are not to be mentioned on here.

Regarding Dawn, I really don't have much else to comment, but I will mention that ALL the characters, both before and after Dawn, were co-stars, not just Dawn (yes, I'm even going to count the likes of Brock, Tracey, and Max as co-stars), as they had various endings and openings dedicated to them (Misty had that Lapras ending in Kanto, or was it Orange Islands. It was Japan-only, I'll tell you that much), and besides which I can remember quite a few episodes dating back as early as the Indigo League where the narrator specifically refers to Ash and his friends collectively as "Our Heroes", which means they are co-stars ("heroes" aside from it being synonymous with the good guys, literally means the main protagonists. Had they wanted to establish that Ash was the only actual hero, they would have said "our hero and his sidekicks." Words have meaning.). And I still don't really think she had much development beyond the basics. A bit more than May, I'll give you that, but definitely not much compared to Misty. And BTW, I wasn't fond of her vanity towards her hair (I don't like it when characters obsess over their looks, was taught that was vain and was bad). And I did try to like her, but just couldn't. And honestly, May and Dawn both reminded me too much of the girls from Princess vs. Princess and Love Hina, and I DON'T mean that in a good way. I guess I could agree with you that compared to Serena, Dawn definitely could do her journey by herself, so that's one positive to her (in fact, to be honest, I'm actually not sure why she didn't even do the journey herself and insisted on joining Ash?).

Regarding Serena, I'm not fond of her for a variety of reasons (namely, she had little reason to be on a Pok?mon journey, or especially with Ash. I mean, granted, she at least had a bit more reason to go than May, but not by much; the overhyped shipping between Ash and Serena simply doesn't work for a variety of reasons, and she took longer to actually GET a goal than May did). Probably the closest I've got to a positive for her is that she at least didn't hate Pok?mon before entering her journey, unlike May, so I can sort of forgive her for only becoming a trainer because of Ash.

And just as an FYI, I was NOT fond of how May and Dawn were subject to sexual fanservice (and based on what Masamitsu Hidaka said, it was deliberate. I'm surprised he wasn't fired for that remark back in 2010). They're 10 years old and thus it paints the show in a very distasteful light. Heck, technically, May shouldn't even be a 10 year old with the chest she's got. Misty and Iris at least look, and more importantly, actually ACT like 10 year olds, and are not basically used like Bulma was for most of Dragon Ball.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 21, 2018
Honestly, Misty did a LOT of stuff, maybe not towards her goal (which I'll admit was indeed a flaw, but she at least did a LOT more than Brock did in his entire run for HIS goal. Heck, technically, she did more for her goal than Ash did in Johto, or even up to DP if you think about it [at least we knew the full endgame for her goal, as well as several key details about her goal beyond the Whirl Cup and similar competitions such as training with and interacting with Water Pokémon and even researching them. Literally the only thing we knew for certain on Ash's goal was that he needed to get eight badges and at the very least compete in the regional leagues. We never got any confirmation whether he actually had to win a league to become a master or even fight the Elite 4 until DP, especially when they seemed to nix the idea that winning a league would have you become a Pokémon Master in the Orange Islands where he continued to travel DESPITE winning the Orange League.), but a lot of stuff nonetheless (and let's not forget, Ash and anyone else would have been dead multiple times over, or at least not able to continue their journey if it weren't for her). And I'd argue she had FAR better genuine development than May ever did, character development at that (I'm sorry, but the "development" May got was cheap and truly weak development, not true development. Do you really expect me to believe that a girl who is the daughter of a Gym Leader and thus would naturally be exposed to Pokémon Battles and by extension Pokémon themselves constantly would HATE Pokémon, and hating Pokémon like she did in the beginning would actually have her being disrespectful to the entire profession of Pokémon Trainer by even signing up. If you are going to be entering a Pokémon Journey which will require you to be exposed to Pokémon constantly, training them for various elements, you'd better like them. Otherwise, you really shouldn't have bothered signing up at all. And besides, it can't be due to problems in her family to drive her to hate Pokémon. May if anything had better relations to her family than Misty and Brock did [both of whom were the victims of outright abandonment, with Misty being treated as the runt of the litter and barely got much respect even AFTER her sisters forced her into the gym against her will, and Brock having to essentially act as a foster parent to his siblings thanks to his parents deadbeat status], yet those two never hated Pokémon in general, at worst only having a fear of bug types and a justifiable trauma towards Gyarados. Heck, she had way better family relationships than Jessie and James did with their families [Jessie, like Misty and Brock, was the victim of abandonment and constantly being transferred to multiple foster homes due to her mom working for Team Rocket and being on extensive leave, and James' parents tried to outright force him to marry a sadistic dominatrix who oddly resembled his partner in crime.], and even THEY don't hate Pokémon at all, and they're ESPECIALLY notable since they were members of a group that had zero qualms with outright murdering Pokémon. Misty's development came across as more natural.).

You mentioned Pokémon Contests, but quite frankly, the overfocus the show had on them is actually one of the bigger problems behind it, especially for the no small fact that they're little more than a sidequest in the games that don't even impact the story, at most only being necessary to evolve a Feebas into a Milotic to get the latter's entry into the Pokedex. It keeps those trying to play the games out of the loop due to the blatant false advertising by giving overfocus to the goals (the point of the anime is to advertise the games, right? Well, how are newcomer players going to think when they realize that, unlike May in the anime, or even Dawn in DP, they literally don't have a choice but to challenge Gym Leaders). Misty's goal at least can be theoretically achieved in the games by raising up a pure water-type team from beginning all the way to the Elite 4 and Champion. Besides, I fail to see the appeal in Pokémon Coordinating, which if it's anything like real life modeling is just going to have the characters wash out when they hit their 20s, not to mention enter drugs and possibly gain anorexia and bulimia, becoming extremely insecure about their appearances feeling they can only feel happy if they are the thinnest, prettiest, and all of that, and that's not even taking into account various other elements that are not to be mentioned on here.

Regarding Dawn, I really don't have much else to comment, but I will mention that ALL the characters, both before and after Dawn, were co-stars, not just Dawn (yes, I'm even going to count the likes of Brock, Tracey, and Max as co-stars), as they had various endings and openings dedicated to them (Misty had that Lapras ending in Kanto, or was it Orange Islands. It was Japan-only, I'll tell you that much), and besides which I can remember quite a few episodes dating back as early as the Indigo League where the narrator specifically refers to Ash and his friends collectively as "Our Heroes", which means they are co-stars ("heroes" aside from it being synonymous with the good guys, literally means the main protagonists. Had they wanted to establish that Ash was the only actual hero, they would have said "our hero and his sidekicks." Words have meaning.). And I still don't really think she had much development beyond the basics. A bit more than May, I'll give you that, but definitely not much compared to Misty. And BTW, I wasn't fond of her vanity towards her hair (I don't like it when characters obsess over their looks, was taught that was vain and was bad). And I did try to like her, but just couldn't. And honestly, May and Dawn both reminded me too much of the girls from Princess vs. Princess and Love Hina, and I DON'T mean that in a good way. I guess I could agree with you that compared to Serena, Dawn definitely could do her journey by herself, so that's one positive to her (in fact, to be honest, I'm actually not sure why she didn't even do the journey herself and insisted on joining Ash?).

Regarding Serena, I'm not fond of her for a variety of reasons (namely, she had little reason to be on a Pokémon journey, or especially with Ash. I mean, granted, she at least had a bit more reason to go than May, but not by much; the overhyped shipping between Ash and Serena simply doesn't work for a variety of reasons, and she took longer to actually GET a goal than May did). Probably the closest I've got to a positive for her is that she at least didn't hate Pokémon before entering her journey, unlike May, so I can sort of forgive her for only becoming a trainer because of Ash.

And just as an FYI, I was NOT fond of how May and Dawn were subject to sexual fanservice (and based on what Masamitsu Hidaka said, it was deliberate. I'm surprised he wasn't fired for that remark back in 2010). They're 10 years old and thus it paints the show in a very distasteful light. Heck, technically, May shouldn't even be a 10 year old with the chest she's got. Misty and Iris at least look, and more importantly, actually ACT like 10 year olds, and are not basically used like Bulma was for most of Dragon Ball.

May never hated Pokemon, she just didn't really have an intrest in them. Just because a family is a big fan of something, dosen't mean the son or daughter will as well. I have a friend who was like this (His whole family was massive football fans and he only got into football at the age of 10, before he had no intrest in football, I am talking about British football BTW)

And May probably felt preseured by her parents to get a Pokemon, she was probably worried that Norman would be dissapointed in her for not wanting a Pokemon.

And just because the games didn't make contests a big part of the game dosen't mean the Anime has to as well (The Anime and games are diffrent cannon)
Making Dawn and May do gym battles and have the same goal as Ash, would make the show even more repetative and boring. Contests were diffrent and intresting.

What I meant about Dawn being a co star, is that she was the only companion to get as much development and focus as Ash.
She was developed well past the basics, she went from someone who couldn't work out a map and get past an appeal round, to someone who only just lost a final and beat May.
So Dawn was developed loads.

Misty was practically no diffrent from the start of the series to the end) (except maybe nicer and less abusive in her cameo's.)
All she did was compete in the Whirl cup, she did practically nothing else. She was horrible to Ash and abused him. She should of been arrested for assult.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
May never hated Pokemon, she just didn't really have an intrest in them. Just because a family is a big fan of something, dosen't mean the son or daughter will as well. I have a friend who was like this (His whole family was massive football fans and he only got into football at the age of 10, before he had no intrest in football, I am talking about British football BTW)

And May probably felt preseured by her parents to get a Pokemon, she was probably worried that Norman would be dissapointed in her for not wanting a Pokemon.

And just because the games didn't make contests a big part of the game dosen't mean the Anime has to as well (The Anime and games are diffrent cannon)
Making Dawn and May do gym battles and have the same goal as Ash, would make the show even more repetative and boring. Contests were diffrent and intresting.

What I meant about Dawn being a co star, is that she was the only companion to get as much development and focus as Ash.
She was developed well past the basics, she went from someone who couldn't work out a map and get past an appeal round, to someone who only just lost a final and beat May.

Misty was practically no diffrent from the start of the series to the end) (except maybe nicer and less abusive in her cameo's.)
All she did was compete in the Whirl cup, she did practically nothing else. She was horrible to Ash and abused him. She should of been arrested for assult.

True, not everyone has to be into what their families are into, but the problem is that she even bothered doing a Pokémon Journey anyways despite not liking/hating Pokémon. My grandpa always said this: If you're going to do a job for the rest of your life, you might as well make sure it's one you actually enjoy, and if you don't like Pokémon, heck, hate Pokémon even, you have absolutely no business being a Pokémon trainer. To put it another way, would you have a Nurse Joy be a Nurse Joy if she outright hates or at the very least dislikes and/or is disinterested in Pokémon? And the reason she even went was to have an excuse to travel, which makes zero sense anyway (Seymour the Scientist travels as well, last I checked, he didn't have a single Pokémon on him [and believe me, if he had Pokémon on him, he would not have needed Ash and Brock to save his butt from that Zubat swarm].). Besides, having May do badly at training just doesn't work especially given her background, disinterest or not (to put it another way: Sheldon Cooper had enough knowledge about football techniques that he could point out play by plays, enough for Leonard to be impressed and invite him to Penny's football party, simply because his dad frequently watched them, yet he had zero interest in football at all).

As far as contests, you're forgetting that the anime, while a different canon from the games, is meant, especially starting with AG (for goodness sakes, the movies starting with Jirachi Wishmaker are only made to pretty much be commercials for the Mythical Pokémon of the current gen), to be an explicit infomercial for the games. That essentially means that you need to make sure the contests are actually AS important in the anime as in the games, not more, not less. I know if I were to use the anime as a marketing vehicle for the games, I would not try to make the contests important plot points unless the games make them important plot points beforehand, since, again, I want to advertise the games and thus make sure I don't do false advertising (and if I focus on the contests to such an extent that they come across as a major goal in the anime, I'd essentially be implying advertising-wise that they're that important in the games, which would result in far too many customers being left out of the loop if they discover that's not the case). And who says having them do gyms would make it repetitive? If anything, if they have different fighting styles from Ash, it would actually come across as very interesting to see how they vary, and if they get to the leagues, it would be a classic student faces master. That would actually work for Ash's development AS WELL AS theirs.

And actually, Misty got loads of development as well. We learned, for example, that she had a pretty rough life regarding her sisters, had some insecurities about herself that she really had to get over big time, and we also learned that she liked some music and, yes, she also loved some water pokemon more than others. We also learned that she liked Lorelei. She even managed to ultimately prove herself to her sisters twice, three times counting the Whirl Cup. And let's not forget, many times if it weren't for her, Ash and co. would either be DEAD, or at the very least unable to continue the journey. So put that way, she at least got as much development as Dawn, arguably even more since Dawn character-wise stayed the same overall. You can ask DBZ_Fan, as he can explain it far better than I ever could.

Also, Misty was never abusive to Ash at all. A tough teacher, yes, but never abusive. Jessie in her interactions with James and Meowth came across as far more abusive than Misty EVER did, even pre-Togepi. And believe me, I'd know true abuse when I see it (think how Naru Narusegawa treated Keitaru Urashima in Love Hina if he so much as is even present at the wrong place and the wrong time. THAT'S how Misty would have needed to act before she can truly qualify as abusive).

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years

Misty could be labeled as a Tsundere but really she was someone with a massive inferiority complex who deeply cared about Pokemon and hated people who mistreated them(especially Water Pokemon). Misty berated Ash because he was immature and more often than not deserved it. Now while she didn't really pursue her goal all that much(be it due to the writers or simply the fact that Ash's goal took priority), she at least got a full team(unlike a future Misty 2.0 character in Iris).

May wanted to see the world or go on an adventure and used the guise of getting her first Pokemon as a means to do it. If she could forego having Pokemon altogether and yet still see the world, she would have done it in a heartbeat. The fact she's the daughter of a Gym Leader and had been exposed to Pokemon since birth makes that a bit hard to believe, especially if this character is your replacement for Misty. Kind of a botched introduction as I see it. She did have loads of character development though.

As for Dawn, consider her to be a refined version of May. Everything about her was exceedingly well done, although it's debatable about which Coordinator(May or Dawn) had the tougher rivals. Serena is the only character that I absolutely adore that honestly should have pursued battling the Gyms and entering the League as opposed to going into Pokemon Showcases(aka glorified Beauty/Talent shows that were exclusively Female...). It would have added a unique element and dilemma for Serena in that she would have had to balance love and Pokemon Training. The fact she flailed in the wind for 38 Episodes is why I have XY/XYZ in 2nd place on my Top series list(I don't want it there but I'm all but forced due to how good DP was).

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Misty could be labeled as a Tsundere but really she was someone with a massive inferiority complex who deeply cared about Pokemon and hated people who mistreated them(especially Water Pokemon). Misty berated Ash because he was immature and more often than not deserved it. Now while she didn't really pursue her goal all that much(be it due to the writers or simply the fact that Ash's goal took priority), she at least got a full team(unlike a future Misty 2.0 character in Iris).

May wanted to see the world or go on an adventure and used the guise of getting her first Pokemon as a means to do it. If she could forego having Pokemon altogether and yet still see the world, she would have done it in a heartbeat. The fact she's the daughter of a Gym Leader and had been exposed to Pokemon since birth makes that a bit hard to believe, especially if this character is your replacement for Misty. Kind of a botched introduction as I see it. She did have loads of character development though.

As for Dawn, consider her to be a refined version of May. Everything about her was exceedingly well done, although it's debatable about which Coordinator(May or Dawn) had the tougher rivals. Serena is the only character that I absolutely adore that honestly should have pursued battling the Gyms and entering the League as opposed to going into Pokemon Showcases(aka glorified Beauty/Talent shows that were exclusively Female...). It would have added a unique element and dilemma for Serena in that she would have had to balance love and Pokemon Training. The fact she flailed in the wind for 38 Episodes is why I have XY/XYZ in 2nd place on my Top series list(I don't want it there but I'm all but forced due to how good DP was).

Thanks for that defense of Misty. Put it far better than I can (and yes, many times Ash DID deserve the berating, certainly a lot more than Keitaru Urashima deserved any beatups by the Hinata Inn girls, and even the few times where Ash doesn't actually deserve it, you can at least understand the framework from where Misty got the conclusion that it was Ash's fault). Though I must admit, she's actually pretty tame for the tsundere characterization. I've seen more tsundere from Jessie to be honest. Not that I have a problem with it, because it at least means she's not Naru Narusegawa or even Bulma.

And yeah, agreed with May (though I'd consider her "character development" cheap to be honest, mostly for what you stated regarding how she was introduced). To be honest, Serena did it slightly better than May. I may not be fond of her romance arc with Ash (especially when it really warped the fact that Ash was friends with Molly Hale, Misty, and Gary, and honestly came across as one-sided, something not even Pokeshipping, which I don't even follow, ever did), but at least it actually gave her a reason to travel with Ash, while May had zero reason to travel at all, let alone with Ash.

Simply couldn't get into Dawn, though, but I'll admit she definitely was improved over May in a few areas (namely, at least she didn't hate Pokémon, and at least she actually had a firm goal to begin with).

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Hi, I just joined Pokecommunity.

Um hi and welcome to PC. May I recommend heading over to Meet&Greet and introducing yourself. Furthermore, it's best to add to the discussion by stating your opinion on the topic at hand :mudkip-wink: Hope to see you around more and again welcome.

Back to topic at hand... Serena for the win.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 17, 2022
Dawn, Serena, and Misty, but I do like the others as well.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 22, 2018
Best Femal Companion

Who was best Female Companion with Ash in your opinion in my opinion i am still confused between Misty (Sorry if i miss spelled) and Serena

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
Korrina I mean Dawn xD

Korrina might count, i duno.....does a 5 episode companion really count (to anyone other than me, who's like literally more obsessed with her than keeping both my lungs??)? o.O;; (the lungs thing, btw, is some inside joke of...mine....xD but you get the point i'm a korrina addict)

Still, yeah, Dawn is awesome too. I felt she had a good relationship with Ash as well.

And her contest outfits and Pokemon were both really adorable :3

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2024
Mine is Dawn. I liked her brilliant development and her determination and confidence.

She's creative, and her combinations and techniques for her Pokemon, could even help a much more experienced trainer or coordinator.

And I like her brilliant bond with Ash and it was great how her intensity matched Ash's.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Sep 30, 2018
Dawn is my favourite, because I like her development and her great personality and determination.

Years
Depends on what you mean by best. Best female companion as in which female did the best for Ash? It probably would be Misty. Best female companion as in terms of being the show's heroine? In that case, it'd either be Dawn or May.

Last edited:
Back