• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Super Starter Pokémon Club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Best moveset?

Er...

Um...

I think I've never done any real movesets for a starter, but a Torterra with Wood Hammer and Earthquake comes very close, especially if you can afford recovery or is in-game.

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
Years
I got to say, my Serperior in White 2 moveset is Leech Seed, Coil, Giga Drain, and Leaf Blade and it's a great moveset for in-game at the very least. I don't really need to heal him too much with Leech Seed and Giga Drain and after I set up a Leech Seed I can spam Coil, which boosts his Defence making any physical attacker useless against him, and boost his Attack so he can finish off his attacker. He's gone toe-to-toe with most of the types he's weak against and always did some damage to his enemy if he didn't K.O. him/her. I like the moveset so much, I don't want him to learn any new moves in case I regret it.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I wonder why I'm not able to think up of a proper topic lately...

But whatever.

I think I'm going to pick three random Pokémon and ask whether you think it'd make a good starter trio, ignoring typing, and what you'd think could make it better.

I'll start.

Zorua, Poochyena, and Houndour, anyone?

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
It sounds like a good trio in theory, seeing as they're all pretty similar, about the same when it comes to battling, and they could easily be used for starters in case the conditions for actually being a starter were different. I know you said to ignore typing, and if I do that, then I admit, there isn't much of a problem. I don't care much about a three-stage evolution if they just lead to some decency, but typing is a really big part of what makes a starter Pokemon. It doesn't necessarily have to be the standard Grass/Fire/Water, but they need to be something that level each other out, and allows you to kinda take "multiple paths".

If a specific starter is hard to use through a part of the game due to its typing, then sure, that gives difficulty, another way to enjoy the game. If the starters typing is strong against the Pokemon in the beginning of the game, then that could help advancing faster, getting up to specific points quicker instead of staying around training. The problem with the ones you brought up however is that they're all of similar typing, with one being part fire. It won't really matter which one you choose, because they all provide you with the same gameplay kinda (unless the movepools are terrible), and there'll just not be any diversity.

But yeah, ignoring that certain part, there isn't really much of a problem with it, but seeing it like that, a lot of Pokemon could be potential starters, it's jsut about making them fit together.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
It sounds like a good trio in theory, seeing as they're all pretty similar, about the same when it comes to battling, and they could easily be used for starters in case the conditions for actually being a starter were different. I know you said to ignore typing, and if I do that, then I admit, there isn't much of a problem. I don't care much about a three-stage evolution if they just lead to some decency, but typing is a really big part of what makes a starter Pokemon. It doesn't necessarily have to be the standard Grass/Fire/Water, but they need to be something that level each other out, and allows you to kinda take "multiple paths".

If a specific starter is hard to use through a part of the game due to its typing, then sure, that gives difficulty, another way to enjoy the game. If the starters typing is strong against the Pokemon in the beginning of the game, then that could help advancing faster, getting up to specific points quicker instead of staying around training. The problem with the ones you brought up however is that they're all of similar typing, with one being part fire. It won't really matter which one you choose, because they all provide you with the same gameplay kinda (unless the movepools are terrible), and there'll just not be any diversity.

But yeah, ignoring that certain part, there isn't really much of a problem with it, but seeing it like that, a lot of Pokemon could be potential starters, it's jsut about making them fit together.

I wonder what would happen if we were to make the game more about the right kind of attack for the right situation (Physical/Special/Fixed/Special-to-Def). Then it'd be less about typing and more about stats and moves (of course, enemy Pokémon need to be adjusted to fit, too)

Flame-Typhlosion

Champion
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2012
Hey everyone? Haven't been here in months. Might as well reply to the new topic.
I'd go with Poocheyena. For some reason, it's really the only dark type i ever liked. I mean, it's looks cool, although it's stats are not the best, it could be useful in a team, and it's move list isn't bad. Anyways, has anything important happen during June- November Twiggy?

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Hey everyone? Haven't been here in months. Might as well reply to the new topic.
I'd go with Poocheyena. For some reason, it's really the only dark type i ever liked. I mean, it's looks cool, although it's stats are not the best, it could be useful in a team, and it's move list isn't bad. Anyways, has anything important happen during June- November Twiggy?

Nothing ever interesting happens here! /s I fudged with the "membership" "requirements".

I think Zorua is so cute... Maybe it's the cutest Dark type out there, aside from Scraggy. (Seriously, what's up with Generation V and cute Dark types?)

Who wants a Poochy in their home when they can have a Zorua? though when it evolves

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
Name: CourageHound
Starter Pokémon: Tepig(Dynamite), Bulbasaur(Zatch)
Why would you like to join the club?: Well your starter is like, your best bud, your partner, your right hand poke, and best bud for life. As such almost everyone of my starters have breached my favorite pokemon list just because of how awesome, and cute they are.(And why theyre so painfully hard to choose from :))
Answering Topic:

Would they make a good starter trio?

Even tho I love Poochyena or Houndour, I'd say no...My reasoning is:

1.There isnt very much variety. I'm not talking about types. What I mean by that is they have tooo similar traites that would have virtually no impact on gameplay whether you pick one or the other. Similar moves, similar pitfalls/difficulties early game, and practically identical feel of pace.

2. Balancing issues within the starters; i'm very sad to say that Poochyena just isnt strong enough(not to mention an atrocious move pool), or useful in too many situations to be a starter. Unless him and mightyena, (and a possible new third evolution) were to get some sort of revamp, I couldn't see them being a starter. If he was, it would be like a psuedo-"hard mode". Similar to if you picked chikorita in 2nd gen(only cuz of the 1st two gym type weaknesses but Poochyena is worse).

Previous Topic:What is your favourite fully evolved starter from every gen?
Khanto:
Split btween venusaur and charizard. Venusaur is a giant green plant dinosaur, and charizard is a flame dragon. Both cool designs and both pack alot of power. Really, I think all three Khanto starters are great but I like Venusaur's and Charizard's lines more than Blastoises'.

Jhoto:
Typhlosion all the way. Super cool, funny, strong, and adorable. Frealigatr is cool too but I love Typhlosion that much more. I dont really like Meganium :/.

Hoenn:
I love Swampert. Bulky, strong, cool design and dem mudkipz. However i think i'm the only guy i know that doesnt like Blaziken :L. Idk, I just dont like his build.

Sinnoh:
Al the sinnoh starters were great. Very cool designs and great ideas. As such i tie all three. But for topic's sake I'll go with Infernape due to him being my first Sinnoh starter(meaning on my first run of the game).

Unova:
:3 Do I gotta say it? Emboar! Hes like, my bro. Bravin' through unova,, side by side, both b&b2. Samurott being pretty cool too, the runner up although imo, he cant compete with Emboar. I...dun really like serperior tho.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Name: CourageHound
Starter Pokémon: Tepig(Dynamite), Bulbasaur(Zatch)
Why would you like to join the club?: Well your starter is like, your best bud, your partner, your right hand poke, and best bud for life. As such almost everyone of my starters have breached my favorite pokemon list just because of how awesome, and cute they are.(And why theyre so painfully hard to choose from :))
Answering Topic:

Would they make a good starter trio?

Even tho I love Poochyena or Houndour, I'd say no...My reasoning is:

1.There isnt very much variety. I'm not talking about types. What I mean by that is they have tooo similar traites that would have virtually no impact on gameplay whether you pick one or the other. Similar moves, similar pitfalls/difficulties early game, and practically identical feel of pace.

2. Balancing issues within the starters; i'm very sad to say that Poochyena just isnt strong enough(not to mention an atrocious move pool), or useful in too many situations to be a starter. Unless him and mightyena, (and a possible new third evolution) were to get some sort of revamp, I couldn't see them being a starter. If he was, it would be like a psuedo-"hard mode". Similar to if you picked chikorita in 2nd gen(only cuz of the 1st two gym type weaknesses but Poochyena is worse).

Previous Topic:What is your favourite fully evolved starter from every gen?
Khanto:
Split btween venusaur and charizard. Venusaur is a giant green plant dinosaur, and charizard is a flame dragon. Both cool designs and both pack alot of power. Really, I think all three Khanto starters are great but I like Venusaur's and Charizard's lines more than Blastoises'.

Jhoto:
Typhlosion all the way. Super cool, funny, strong, and adorable. Frealigatr is cool too but I love Typhlosion that much more. I dont really like Meganium :/.

Hoenn:
I love Swampert. Bulky, strong, cool design and dem mudkipz. However i think i'm the only guy i know that doesnt like Blaziken :L. Idk, I just dont like his build.

Sinnoh:
Al the sinnoh starters were great. Very cool designs and great ideas. As such i tie all three. But for topic's sake I'll go with Infernape due to him being my first Sinnoh starter(meaning on my first run of the game).

Unova:
:3 Do I gotta say it? Emboar! Hes like, my bro. Bravin' through unova,, side by side, both b&b2. Samurott being pretty cool too, the runner up although imo, he cant compete with Emboar. I...dun really like serperior tho.

Mmm hmm, wow, you went and replied to two topics, huh? Teehee.

It's a pity that you can't exactly alter BSTs after they exist these days.

Emboar is like the bro for you. Mmm hmm, I want to hug one, but I still like my Turtwig love more.

CourageHound

Years
Actually i think i've seen a few games that modify the stats of non starter pokemon the be more powerful. Dunno how tho.

Oh and if I could hug an Emboar my life would be 1/3 complete

CourageHound

Years
Mind if I sggest a new topic: Is there a starter whos final form you thought would turn out differently?

For me it was definately emboar. I thought he was gunna become some kinda quadraped boar guy. At first i was all Meh-ish with his design. But soon Emboar grew on me....like a wild fire. And then became one of my favorite pokemon ever since. Hes like, that amazing. However I think in the B/W anime he is very porely drawn as if they didnt want to put that much effort in matching his orginal artwork. BUT in the B/W2 animated promo/trailer he was drawn beautifully(as with all the other animation) and will probobly be his best apearence till Emboar takes the stage in a movie where they decide to be 110% effert into his form.

Avishka

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Mind if I sggest a new topic: Is there a starter whos final form you thought would turn out differently?

For me it was definately emboar. I thought he was gunna become some kinda quadraped boar guy. At first i was all Meh-ish with his design. But soon Emboar grew on me....like a wild fire. And then became one of my favorite pokemon ever since. Hes like, that amazing. However I think in the B/W anime he is very porely drawn as if they didnt want to put that much effort in matching his orginal artwork. BUTin the B/W2 animated promo/trailer he was drawn beautifully(as with all the other animation) and will probobly be his best apearence till Emboar takes the stage in a movie where they decide to be 110% effert into his form.
wht do u mean by quadraped boar guy???

i don't like the final evolution of oshawott it's design is bad imo
Samurott doesn't look like it has evolved from oshawott same goes for Swampert, other than these two all are good

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
wht do u mean by quadraped boar guy???

i don't like the final evolution of oshawott it's design is bad imo
Samurott doesn't look like it has evolved from oshawott same goes for Swampert, other than these two all are good

I think Swampert works pretty well. On the other hand, Samurott sometimes felt like it came out of nowhere.

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
Years
Samurott definitely felt out of place when I first saw it. First we had a cute little Oshawott, then a still cute but cool looking Dewott, then out of nowhere a big sea lion with a unihorn and whiskers. I'm not saying I hate its design, it just seemed a little weird considering its previous evolutions.

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
I thought Dewott was weirdly colored. That teal that makes up most of the body didn't look good with the large amounts of navy.
I think it would of looked better like this, imo:
Dewott2.png

CourageHound

Years
Meh, I guess all the fifth gen starters got the taboo evolutions. Even tho I geuess alot people say it coming, I didnt imagine snivy turning into a giant serpent....with no feet.

MelchiorFlyer

Flygon
Years
Name: Checkers (for short)
Starter Pokémon: Boomer the Typhlosion + Charry the Charmander
Why would you like to join the club?: I love starters!! Yay! Also, my dad once had a car with a Typhlosion painted on the side. It was awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back