• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Thief Red

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Gotta steal 'em all!

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5e233dug2v11l1z/thief-red-1.2.ips
ROM Base: Red Version

Play through the original Red Version story with a twist--you can steal trainers' Pokémon.

Rules:
1. Poke Balls, Great Balls, and Ultra Balls are now named Thief Balls, Robber Balls, and Burglar Balls.
2. You can capture trainers' Pokémon using those balls.
3. You cannot capture wild Pokémon.
4. Your Pokémon do not gain experience.

2TSZXmo.png
c7MfUSc.png
GNo5jvG.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Interesting idea. I added an unused Thief Ball item in Red++ a while back because I thought about making that possible in Pokémon Forever (you'd find the balls in Rocket places).

Enough about that though, seems interesting. I'm gonna try it out after work.

Yeah, the idea of stealing pokemon isn't new. But I think the idea of forcing you to use only stolen pokemon that don't grow stronger is new. If you play it, let me know if it's actually fun. I can imagine it being pretty difficult later on, but who knows. Maybe I'l even play it. *gasp*

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
Years
Interesting idea, but I don't think I'll play it. It's not something personal against the game, but I don't like the first 2 generations. If I'd ever decide to play a ROM hack based on a 1st-2nd generation game, it needs to be a big edit of the original game.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Last night, I started an actual playthrough to see how the game felt. I've gotten just past the S.S. Anne, and it's pretty fun so far. It's fun to try and anticipate which trainer pokemon will be useful for the upcoming section of the game. I'd say it's slightly more challenging than the regular game. For example, right now I'm about to face Lt. Surge. However, my three strong pokemon are Misty's Starmie, a level 19 Goldeen, and Gary's level 18 Pidgeotto. All of those are weak against electric attacks. So, my next strategy is going to battle trainers east of Vermilion City and see if any of them have a ground type Pokemon I can use to spam against Lt. Surge.

I give it an 8/10 so far.

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
Years
I may play this later on this year, but thinking it all the way through it seems like an interesting concept. Consider the Elite Four: Lorelei's Pokemon are weak to Bruno's Pokemon, who are weak to Agatha's Pokemon. That's pretty interesting and I'm sure that would make the end of the game difficult. I know for sure that I'd take Lorelei's Lapras/Dewgong and Agatha's Gengar.

Sceptile90

The Master of YamiNoGames
Years
Wait, does the battle end automatically when you catch the trainer's Pokémon?

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
I'm at Celadon City and I've started to notice a game breaking glitch, every now and then catching your opponent's Pokemon causes items in your inventory to disappear including key items like HMs and the Lift Key.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I'm at Celadon City and I've started to notice a game breaking glitch, every now and then catching your opponent's Pokemon causes items in your inventory to disappear including key items like HMs and the Lift Key.

Hmmm... That sounds bad. I'm not sure what could cause this off the top of my head. I'll try to reproduce this problem tonight. If you can get a save state where this happens consistently, that would help.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024

I uploaded a new patch that fixes this bug. I'm really surprised I didn't notice this earlier... Sorry about that. Your save file will still work, but I think you mentioned you lost some key items :(.

EDIT: Someone noticed the Old Man battle triggered an infinite loop. I uploaded version 1.2 with a fix for that.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I just beat the game. It was a fun idea but it was way too easy in that you could just catch any tough Pokemon that was thrown at you. It only took me two or three hours to get through the whole thing as I skipped most of the trainers. Maybe it could be made more difficult/interesting if instead of stealing trainers' Pokemon you get a trainer's best team member after you win a battle. In any case, thanks for making this.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I just beat the game. It was a fun idea but it was way too easy in that you could just catch any tough Pokemon that was thrown at you. It only took me two or three hours to get through the whole thing as I skipped most of the trainers. Maybe it could be made more difficult/interesting if instead of stealing trainers' Pokemon you get a trainer's best team member after you win a battle. In any case, thanks for making this.

Thanks for playing through. I kinda figured it wouldn't be any harder than the original game--just a fun twist.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
I really enjoyed this, probably my favorite Pokemon hack I've played in the last year. Have you considered doing another form of this, but for Gold or Silver? I liked it with Red, but I feel the fact that Psychic is so overpowered, I got by so much of the game with Hypno, and then Alakazam.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I really enjoyed this, probably my favorite Pokemon hack I've played in the last year. Have you considered doing another form of this, but for Gold or Silver? I liked it with Red, but I feel the fact that Psychic is so overpowered, I got by so much of the game with Hypno, and then Alakazam.

Glad you liked it! I'm planning on doing the same thing for Crystal Version sometime soon.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 29, 2019
DO NOT talk to the old man and have him show you how to catch pokemon; neverending loop of Oak chewing him out for using the thief ball.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Wow, what an interesting concept! Does the battle end as soon as you capture a trainer's Pokémon (and you can only catch one), or do you keep on fighting?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
DO NOT talk to the old man and have him show you how to catch pokemon; neverending loop of Oak chewing him out for using the thief ball.
Are you playing version 1.1? I uploaded version 1.2 a couple days ago that removed the Old Man battle.

Wow, what an interesting concept! Does the battle end as soon as you capture a trainer's Pokémon (and you can only catch one), or do you keep on fighting?
You keep on fighting. Stealing a Pokemon is essentially the same as making it faint--except it gets added to your party.

Back