• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriting Tutorials - Pokemon and Trainer

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Figuring out how much bigger the Pokemon back sprites are than the normal ones is probably my favorite thing to come out of all this. I'm not sure why... I just felt really happy when the proportions of the Banette sprites matched so closely.

I am working on the next two tutorials, but I've been preoccupied with other things... Especially now, celebrating the holidays.

ville!

Abbysus, abbysus invocat!
Years
Hi... well i have a question... in pixel over, what type of image can i use?

WonderGirl

Bye bye :(
Years
You are the freakin best tutorial maker ever. I checked in a gazillion sites, and this page was the best page I ever found. You explain so well, and we get to understand much better. It's just so awesome. Thanks dude, from the bottom of the heart.

Last edited:

Gigatom~

Pokemon Ruthenium Creator ~
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 25, 2012
One of the usefull tutorial i've ever seen. Maybe the best Tut's for Spriting. Good Job and thanks for making them! :3

Gigatom~

RedYoshi

Wah! Yoshi!
Years
Wow! This guide is very helpful!

How is this for my first attempt? Its a mix of sprite over and amalgamation.

Important!: This Pokemon belongs to Twime777 on youtube
See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mvFedjDNn8

Tyrantacer.jpg

Tyrantacer-1.png

-Smash

Lv.86 Pixel Artist
Years
I'll just drop this here.. *Whispers* Pokecommunity public service, paying my dues.

Lucky you, the one reading this, for you have stumbled upon pure knowledge. On this forum, on this post, on this hour, on this day, consider yourself blessed for looking at this, and thank dear Godess Fate for it.

2a4so5l.jpg

eveelution

RolePlay Minion
Years
After who knows how long in paint I have made...
This!
I think it's pretty good being that it's my first time, and that I suck at shading. (In my eyes)

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
This!
I think it's pretty good being that it's my first time, and that I suck at shading. (In my eyes)

Actually not only is the shading a bit messed but the outline can use some work too, I see a few corner mistakes, I'm confident enough that you can improve it, till then you sprite is deemed:

1/11 :o

As for the tutorial, it was really great. Chesu you are a gifted spriter :D

Last edited:
Years
This!

I appreciate that it is your first sprite, and I also appreciate that you are starting with scratching, but that sprite is - and this is nothing personal; it's simply from an artistic point of view - appauling. I am having problems making out what it even is, the shading is completely off, there's clumped outlines, and, if I'm not mistaken, it is saved as a .JPG - the sin of spriting. Never save as .JPG.

In my opinion, you shouldn't dive straight into the deep end; begin with recolours (if need be), then move onto fusions, until you get to revamps and devamps, then start scratch-fusing, and then you can start attempt scratching. Remember to be tenacious and to never give up; if at first you don't succeed, try, and try again. It may sound cliché, but detemination is the key to success. Which is why I'm unsuccesful.

Don't let what I said knock you down; it's only honest critisism. Just take some of the advice, and hopefully you can bud into a great pixel artist. Good luck!

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
I think that the most important part of spriting Pokemon is making the line art look right before worrying about anything else. Eveelution, your sprite has too many straight lines in it... Organic things are usually rounded. You should try to make the paws more circular, and avoid right angles.

picture.php
picture.php

If you want your sprite to look like a Pokemon, you should give it a large head, with recognizable facial features. Check out these sprites, made by Galatea. They have all the hallmarks of a well-designed Pokemon sprite: clean line art, Pokemon-ish faces, nice colors, good shading, an angle which makes it seem as if they're facing an opponent, and just overall good designs.

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
can I have some crit and tips about the shading on this, am i totally off?

2uhb8g6.png

his name is Mr. blob :)

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
can I have some crit and tips about the shading on this, am i totally off?

2uhb8g6.png

his name is Mr. blob :)
I like its shading, for the most part. You are finally starting to understand it. However, you might want to check the legs, as you're going 'blurry style' again (the middle and left leg, at least). Also, the color variation that you used to separate the upper from the lower part of the head doesn't really 'distinguish' the sprite, it more makes it look like it has levels.

Good luck DG =]

Back