• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help & Advice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I don't think it'll be too bad, the subjects line up with one another pretty well. It's much better than computer science + math, or economics + math, or whatever else. You're probably taking the more social aspect of psych vs bio eh? Also, what's an honours program?

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
I don't think it'll be too bad, the subjects line up with one another pretty well. It's much better than computer science + math, or economics + math, or whatever else. You're probably taking the more social aspect of psych vs bio eh? Also, what's an honours program?

The honors program is just a...well, a program for honors students :P. I'm not sure how to describe it, but my gen ed's are different and my curriculum is a bit different. I can drop the program any time I want, but it looks good to have completed it.

Here's the link to my honors program page: http://www.usd.edu/academics/honors-program/honors-curriculum.cfm

Years
Fine arts? Are you kidding me? Lab science? But the honours courses are well rounded and good for developing critical thinking and writing skills. Looks good!

At the end of the day it comes down to your judgement of your own ability - and I didn't want to pass the buck but I just did :P From my experience though, minors tend to be less intensive than majors - not only are you doing less coursework, it's a lot more general, and a lot more sleep/party/lazy-able :P It'll be good for developing context and perspective <-- cliche but true.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
I have never been able to move my tongue very well...
Pretty much all it does is taste...

This is a problem because the majority of the people I talk has a difficult time trying to
figure out what I'm saying & I often have to write I what I said down...

Because of this, I had always been too nervous to even try to get a job, because for
as far as I know, EVERY job requires verbal communication in one way or another...
(I'm am SO grateful that I have a loving family...)

I would like to get a job, so I can make money so I can actually do stuff,
But what can I do?

I thought of maybe creating a new game & getting someone I trust to publish it for me,
but that's such a long shot...

As for what caused me to be this way, I heard that my mom was in an accident while
pregnant with me...
There's a name for my problem, but I forgot it...

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 28, 2013
So any of you guys in college or college graduates? I'm a double major with CJUS and PSYCH and am a sophomore in college. I'm also balancing my honors program, which is quite a bit of supplementary classes. I'm actually taking three honors classes this semester to get them out of the way ASAP. I feel a bit overwhelmed with my double major and the honors program, but I'm (suicidally) considering taking on a sociology minor too. Do you think this is a good idea? I'm already pretty swamped with classes and credits I need, but I'm really interested in sociology and I feel like it'd be good for my transcript and it would give me some more experience for the job I want to do—being a corrections counselor or someone who works in prisons/rehab centers/detention centers.

Thanks guys!

A sociology minor might be an ok idea with your majors, but an even better idea would be to find some sort of internship at a prison/rehab center/probation office, if you can. It would be easy to get in, especially if you're double majoring with honors classes, and even if it's one day a week for a semester it's still really valuable experience, more valuable on a resume than a minor in sociology. If you go to USCourts.gov (I'd link you fully but I don't have enough posts yet) there's a section specifically for internships and it tells you how to apply.

Stoney: I'll be honest, making a new game is not really a viable option unless you're already making money or have it saved up. Maybe you can find a data entry/programming job where you don't have to talk to many people? You'd probably need some education/connections through other people who can vouch for you, and maybe get through one little interview, but there are jobs where you don't have to communicate too much. :)

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
Stoney: I'll be honest, making a new game is not really a viable option unless you're already making money or have it saved up. Maybe you can find a data entry/programming job where you don't have to talk to many people? You'd probably need some education/connections through other people who can vouch for you, and maybe get through one little interview, but there are jobs where you don't have to communicate too much. :)

Actually, the game I had in mind is a table-talk RPG, like Dungeons & Dragons...
(I'm making the game anyways because I want to play it, but publishing it is a whole
different story...)

What kind of jobs?

Years
You can mow lawns and plant trees and do extra sweaty manly stuff :P And you won't have to go to the gym anymore ^^ They're odd jobs, but yunno. That's all I can think of right now though. Maybe you could learn a trade, and work in a company. You supply your skills, and the rest of the company handles all the stuff you're not comfortable with.

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
Ah, college woes...

From personal observation I can say that I'm probably one of the most unattractive girls on campus. What's an ugly girl to do when it comes to dating? I doubt any of the guys here would be interested in lowering their standards enough to go out with me; am I going to be one of those women that has to date online exclusively?

Years
If you can get laid it's alllll good lol. I haven't, and I'm older than you. That's all that matters.

Years
I'm not really looking to just get laid...

I didn't mean for it to come across that way :\ sorry >< all I'm saying is that it's not that bad not having a lot of dating opportunities :P and there are people getting by with worse opportunities. But honestly, I don't see why you'd have to do anything different. Just keep your game up I guess :P

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
I didn't mean for it to come across that way :\ sorry >< all I'm saying is that it's not that bad not having a lot of dating opportunities :P

Well everyone and their mother has a boyfriend at my university, so I'm pretty left out. It's solely because of my lack of physical appeal.

Years
I don't :| stop making me feel like i'm inadequate hmmph. Well, if it's solely the lack of physical appeal that's hurting your game, that's what you've gotta fix eh? Although I wouldn't put it that way myself.

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
I don't :| stop making me feel like i'm inadequate hmmph. Well, if it's solely the lack of physical appeal that's hurting your game, that's what you've gotta fix eh? Although I wouldn't put it that way myself.

There's not really much I can do to fix it. I've spent years trying; I can't really change the shape of my face or my body without surgery. Which is why I'm holding out on winning the lottery someday!

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
How do you date? Teach me how ;D

I don't really know how, since no one has ever really given me the opportunity. I'm guessing I'm going to be one of those girls that's forever single and never gets to experience a normal part of life.

Years
Tch, me neither. We're in the same boat, you and I :D Don't worry, he'll come along one day. That's sorta what I tell myself.

Years
Are you actively seeking a boyfriend or are you taking a passive approach to this? If there's a guy you really like, build up the courage to talk to him, then hang out with him to see if you're compatible, and if you like him quite a bit after that point, then ask him out. If you aren't really interacting at all with the opposite sex, that would be the real root of the problem right there! A lot of guys are quite shy about romantic matters and you may find out someone's had a crush on you the whole time and you didn't know it. Besides, hanging out with guys more will expose them to your personality, and they may very well enjoy being in your company to the point where they may ask you out, or you may enjoy their company so much that you may ask them out!

Of course, you may end up in the "friendzone", but it's better to try and be rejected than to not try at all when it comes to love, if companionship is something you feel you desire!

Years
I don't have much experience with dating, but I do know that confidence is something that people find attractive. We each have our flaws and things that get to us, but I find it helps to focus on those things we have more control over and those things which we like about ourselves.

Even physically we can do a lot with what we have. We get to choose what kinds of clothes we can wear (assuming we can afford what we like), what we do with our hair, makeup, and that sort of thing. Not to say that without these things someone is unattractive, but that if you do yourself up in a way that pleases you you'll have that extra glow of confidence. But I do really think that personality is key and that's what it most attractive to people. I mean, yeah, you can't expect everyone to see things that way, but you can't expect everyone will be so shallow as to only look at looks.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
There's not really much I can do to fix it. I've spent years trying; I can't really change the shape of my face or my body without surgery. Which is why I'm holding out on winning the lottery someday!

You can change your posture, clothes, and attitude. You can work out to change your body- yes some things you can't change- like you can't suddenly shrink your breasts or grow a foot taller, but there are definitely things you can do.
Agreeing with Donavannj and Scarf here too.
How about taking an opportunity instead of just waiting to be given one? Put some effort into it too!

Stoney: I may sound harsh saying this but don't put all your eggs somewhere expecting someone else to publish your work. People want to spend money on their own ideas, and the only real chance you may have about getting funding is probably only through a kickstarter. Otherwise you are most-likely on your own. However, you seem like a smart guy so I am sure you can use that wit to your advantage, definitely!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back