• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Hypno or Kadabra/Alakazam

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I reallllly don't like either tbh. I'd rather just use the Trainer Fly glitch to get a Mew haha. There aren't many Gen 1 Psychic types that appeal to me.
Aww, what's wrong with the yellow humanoids? (8

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
Years
Hypno, always Hypno! I really love the added bulk it offers and is super under-rated! I ran a YouTube channel a while back and used it as my mascot! Also one time I one-shot an Arceus in Ubers with a Hypno thanks to Belly Drum.

blue

gucci
Years
Not a fan of either of these two lines as it goes. I guess if I had to choose then it would be Hypno, I'm kinda intrigued by the creepy dex entries it has. 8)

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I'm pretty sure I always had a Kadabra on my team. I never had anyone to trade with so I never got an Alakazam. Kadabra is a monster though. It just critted everything!

calenlily

Water trainer with a Rowlet addiction
Years
Kadabra all the way for me. I've never been able to trade for Alakazam, but Kadabra is good enough even without the evolution. I've never really had any interest in training a Hypno. As far as I'm concerned, speed and special attack are by far the most useful stats to specialize in, and there's no beating the Abra line when it comes to those. You don't need defense when you can one-shot everything that comes your way before they can get a hit in.

Starmie was my other favorite psychic. Surf + Psychic = hey look, I can one-shot everything in Victory Road. And the Kanto games actually give you access to evolution stones and the Psychic TM early enough to make training one worthwhile, so hooray for that.

calenlily

Years
I defeated Blue's Alakazam w/ my Hypno, so I could say Hypno is more battle-capable in a battle

I defeated Blue's Alakazam with my Kadabra, so that's not necessarily true. (And Sabrina's Alakazam, which actually gave me more trouble, because it did nothing but spam Recover every.single.turn.)

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
I had a Kadabra in my Bue run first time around, which I think it's a cool Pokemon! It was really fast, and was able to dish out great amounts of damage with its Psychic moves. Hypno, yeah, I saw the appeal because it was really bulky, and it having Poison Gas was interesting, but I prefered the speed and power from Kadabra. I couldn't get an Alakazam sadly because I had no one to trade, but Kadabra proved to be enough.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
Years
I defeated Blue's Alakazam with my Kadabra, so that's not necessarily true. (And Sabrina's Alakazam, which actually gave me more trouble, because it did nothing but spam Recover every.single.turn.)
Fine, you can favour Kadabra, and I'm a huge fan of the Abra line, but Hypno is the pokemon I'm more familiar with. I've trained more Drowzees than Abras, so that's my style. Also, I managed the Hypnosis/Headbutt combo, because as cool and powerful Kadabra and Alakazam are, they can't learn Hypnosis wthout GameShark. Despte the difference in opinion, I totally respect your point of view.

Years
Fine, you can favour Kadabra, and I'm a huge fan of the Abra line, but Hypno is the pokemon I'm more familiar with. I've trained more Drowzees than Abras, so that's my style. Also, I managed the Hypnosis/Headbutt combo, because as cool and powerful Kadabra and Alakazam are, they can't learn Hypnosis wthout GameShark. Despte the difference in opinion, I totally respect your point of view.

Kadabra and Alakazam are speedy glass cannons. They deal massive damage with STAB attacks to take advantage of their massive Special stat. They actually have better STAB attacks than Hypno because of this.

calenlily

Years

And I totally respect your point of view. It sounds like we have rather different play styles. I must admit I've never seen Kadabra and Alakazam's inability to learn Hypnosis as a drawback, as I'm not generally much of a fan of status moves.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Apr 4, 2017
I personally have used Alakazam wherever possible, as it's my favorite Pok?mon. I don't have anything against Hypno, although I've only used it in a mono-Psychic run of Fire Red that I never finished.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 13, 2018
Hypno is better than Kadabra, but not Alakazam ()Whose Special Attack and Speed are more than high enough to put it's Psychic typing to good use).

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I was always more an Hypno fan than an Alakazam fan. I sill prefer Hypno, it might be because I could never evolve Kadabra. I prefer Kadabra than Alakazam tho.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2019
I like Alakazam more but Hypno resists normal attacks more. Alakazam always faints after one Slash or Bite (in Generation 1 it was a normal type move) for example.

Back