• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Sun and Moon Ratings

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
There's one American show I know that's in a similar situation as the Pok?mon anime to the fanbase, and that's Marvel's Agents of Shield. The show has been getting better within each episode, but it also has one of the worst viewership ratings on ABC for a long time now. Many Marvel fans thought it'll be cancelled soon, but despite this doom and glooming, it recently got renewed for a new season.

And as far as Pok?mon's viewership ratings go, one of my Skype friends informed me recently that the TPCi does count online views of the anime as part of their view total, thus making up the low TV viewership ratings.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
There's one American show I know that's in a similar situation as the Pok?mon anime to the fanbase, and that's Marvel's Agents of Shield. The show has been getting better within each episode, but it also has one of the worst viewership ratings on ABC for a long time now. Many Marvel fans thought it'll be cancelled soon, but despite this doom and glooming, it recently got renewed for a new season.

And as far as Pok?mon's viewership ratings go, one of my Skype friends informed me recently that the TPCi does count online views of the anime as part of their view total, thus making up the low TV viewership ratings.

Yeah, about that, I'm pretty sure one of the people responsible for one of the ratings threads made it pretty clear that even regarding Online viewership, Pok?mon's a sinking ship. I'll try to hunt down the post, but I do know it's in either Part 1 or Part 2.

EDIT: Here's the post:

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8499819&postcount=22

Years
I will be forever cringing that Shaun The Sheep of all shows is threatening Pokemon's ratings positions on the Top 10 in Japan. It's like British kids shows seem to have a huge cult following in Japan, since I know Thomas & Friends has notable popularity in Japan as well.

Anyways, nice to see the recent poll on Ash's previous companions posted. I knew Brock, Misty and Serena would be Top 3, the former two because of nostalgia and the latter because of the AmourShipping popularity. Iris was at the bottom as I expected, because she's hated by literally everyone.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Movie rankings:

1) Pok?mon: The Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back
2) Pok?mon Heroes: Latios and Latias
3) Pok?mon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew
4) Pok?mon: Jirachi Wish Maker
5) Pok?mon: The Rise of Darkrai
6) Pok?mon: Revelation Lugia (Pok?mon: The Movie 2000)
7) Pok?mon: Destiny Deoxys
8) Celebi: Voice of the Forest (Pok?mon 4ever)
9) Pok?mon: Spell of the Unknown (Pok?mon the Movie 3)
10) Pok?mon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea (tie)
10) Giratina and the Sky Warrior (tie)

and no word on SM025 viewer ratings

Years
I can't believe Team Rocket vs Team Skull actually sucked! What could be to blame for the less-than-stellar ratings, or was there another show that week that the kids somehow liked much better?

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
I'm just happy My hero academia is back on the list again... Still a good show.

Team rocket one wasn't that bad... But kids probably didn't want to watch that episode :D

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2019
It seems like Kids want Pokémon to be a comedy series time to hire Eiichiro Oda as a writer.

Years
It seems like Kids want Pokémon to be a comedy series time to hire Eiichiro Oda as a writer.

That may be good news for the Japanese audience if that were the case, but not so much to myself or any other Westerner who was alienated by Sun & Moon's new format.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2019
That may be good news for the Japanese audience if that were the case, but not so much to myself or any other Westerner who was alienated by Sun & Moon's new format.
I loved X and Y aswell. That saga was the best but unfortunately it seems like Japanese kids want more comedy.

Don't think Oda is a great fit for the anime tho... if he did write the series we'll have a series that would last 500+ episodes :D
Actually I consider all seasons together the who series so I can say that the series already surpassed 500 episodes with every generation being a saga.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 22, 2017
3 weeks in a row that Sun&Moon is not on the top 10 of the ratings in Japan , since ratings mattered so much for XY&Z (according to you) I wonder what are your thoughts on this. ^^

Edit for Frozocone :

Team Rocket's episode : <3.0 not in the top 10, you posted yourself the link
Sophocles's episode < 3.0 (not in the top10, so two time in a row)
Gladio's episode : =3.0 (draw in the 10th place, it was supposed to be the most interesting episode and it still got really low for Gladio's first appearence, so for me it's 3 times in a row)

So almost three weeks without being in the top 10 for a new series (we are only in the first season I remind you), really nice.

Last edited:
Years
3 weeks in a row that Sun&Moon is not on the top 10 of the ratings in Japan , since ratings mattered so much for XY&Z (according to you) I wonder what are your thoughts on this. ^^

I think it's my best prediction confirmed, and that is the new format is proving to be a flop. Pokemon Sun & Moon literally tried to be Yo-Kai Watch and it didn't execute, even among fans of slapstick.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sun & Moon's ratings by the end of this generation will be the same, if not worse than XY. Pokemon should never be copying another franchise, period. Changing the format of the anime made Pokemon lose its identity, and that will mean your audience will shrink as well.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
Is there any word on the ratings for the first week of new episodes on Disney XD yet? I searched but couldn't find ratings for anything on the channel from this year.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
Is the SuMo anime really full of slapstick... or are we even watching the same show? Physical Humor has always been part of the pokemon anime heck Team rockets gags are slapstick. SuMo just like before have a minimum amount of slapstick there's more action in the show, It's just more noticeable now since the character design allows a wider range of movement and emotion.

Also Yokai Watch is gag humor their skit humor in Yokai watch... with light amounts of slapstick. I will say it for the millionth time... Pokemon SuMo did not copy Yokai watch. Tonally they're completely different

Setup wise Pokemon SuMo is structurally similar to every single Pokemon series there is. Every episode is a character-centric (Whether its a main cast member, pokemon, or a one off trainer) with one difference... They're not on an adventure. that's it god...

The show doesn't have one off characters who don't matter in the big picture. We always get episodes about the main cast of characters they get more character development. people are saying that the big cast of characters is a problem in SuMo it's not, they're always getting developed per episode. The characters play off each other like children can.

Has anyone actually seen Yokai Watch Anime or Played the games? if they did we would not be having the freaking YOKAI WATCH AND POKEMON COMPARISON!!! If you think about it Yokai watch has more in common with the shin megami tensei series than pokemon. No seriously Yokai watch is like Shin Megami Tensei for kids. From befriending evil spirits and demons, to dark emotions being tied to said spirits, using a mundane object to control/summon the spirits, or even the games just being set on just another town in japan.

I don't know if people are just salty with the change in art style. Or if the old Yokai watch beating pokemon in merch thing that the media blew up out of proportion (Saying its the pokemon killer or whatever) that's still fresh in peoples minds or what. Just do a little research about the development of the series and you'll see the truth. Don't even get me started on the

Z-RING IS A YOKAI WATCH CLONE
Z-MOVES ARE COPYING YOKAI WATCH
THE POSES IS COPYING YOKAI WATCH

posts that circulated a while back... god yokai watch don't a monopoly on accessory based toys. Or posing before big attacks... if there's a franchise closest to having said monopoly that would be the Kamen/Sentia series.

Also, Yokai watch is not currently airing so there isn't a real reason to bring it up.

Anyway,

I remember XY had long stretches of not being on the top 10, hovering on 3.2, 3.0 score Which is above average really.

Pokemon has to compete with 30 other shows after all. Not to mention SuMo is on a Thursday. Most shows in the top ten nowadays are on a weekend. Both Precure and My Hero are on a weekday. Japanese students have morning classes/clubs on a sat so My hero airing on primetime works well for the show. Heavy hitters like DB Super, One piece and shows like Sazae san and Moruko chan air on a Sunday as well.

Every show bellow the top five is subject to change since they're ratings are very close to one another hovering at around 3.5 to 3.0 so it's more of lottery who's going to be in it anyway. detective Conan has a 6.5 Household rating double the rating of most shows below the top 5. Even Yokai watch (THE KILLER OF POKEMON) hovers around 3.5 -3.4

SuMo's ratings plummeted during and after golden week tho... That's the Mamane and Team Rocket episodes. Suprised that the Gladio episode just had a draw in top 10. Maybe most people weren't aware he was going to be in it since they didn't watch the previous episode LOL.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Team Rocket's episode : <3.0 not in the top 10, you posted yourself the link
Sophocles's episode < 3.0 (not in the top10, so two time in a row)
Gladio's episode : =3.0 (draw in the 10th place, it was supposed to be the most interesting episode and it still got really low for Gladio's first appearence, so for me it's 3 times in a row)

So almost three weeks without being in the top 10 for a new series (we are only in the first season I remind you), really nice.

Thanks for posting this, ANN has been really slow lately.

Since you kindly asked for my opinion, I'll tell you that it's bad (as I originally put in the SM025 ratings) that SM is losing viewership this early into the series.

There could be a number of reasons for this. The general lack of action (as in Ash has barely moved from Melemele), the humour which may not be for everyone, the fact that Ash is yet to go to his second trial and people are getting bored...

One of the things that was always going to happen in this change to how Ash does his 'gyms' is that there's no sense of 'Ash is travelling from point A - B'. Before people could say 'alright, he's moving there', hence why people didn't mind (as much) waiting for gyms. That's not the same with SM, where he can make the journey in a day.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2019
It's sad that Pokémon isn't doing fine in the ratings, but I hope it's a lesson to not change the style of the anime. The series had an identity and they ruoned it from what I found out.

I wish im the next generation Ash becomes what he wad in X/Y.

Back