• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
I have never followed the other top leagues closely enough to really compare. The premierleague can't be the best league now though, surely.

I bet the officials are less crooked out in Germany and Spain than they are here in England anyway.

Years
I suppose it's hard for anyone to compare really.

Anyway, Milwall decided to put the game back thirty years again today. By far, the worst fans in the country.

Hopefully the guy who stole the Police Officer's hat will get to court to face this pretty condemning evidence. Along with the rest of those involved of course.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I bet the officials are less crooked out in Germany and Spain than they are here in England anyway.

It's pretty much as horrible anywhere to be honest. Here if anything our refs are a bunch of cowards who will not ever give anything even if five guys are handballing in the box. Unless it's a foul in midfield. Those we have three dozens a game.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
It honestly feels like refs have to be biased towards 'big' teams sometimes.

Today Arsenal beat my lot 3 - 1 and not one of their goals should have stood. I'll add that we had the lead and had they not equalised through a dodgy pen in the 85th minute I think we'd have seen it out.

Years
I can't complain about refs today, our ref probably helped us on the balance of things. Three two footed tackles which all could've merited a red on a different day and he only gave out two yellows. It usually goes the other way though so it's a nice change, but as usual lately we lost anyway.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
They say these things even themselves out over the 38 games, if that's so then we're in for one hell end to our season. Especially if luck we didn't get with pens rolls over from last season.

Seriously though, until we're mathematically safe this result will bug me.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
A day later and i'm still annoyed. Football hasn't bothered this much since THAT survival Sunday. Was at Fulham that day. ;____;

Years
No love for Europa League? :D

SL Benfica (My club <3) is in the semi finals for the second time in 3 years and will meet the turkish club Fenerbahçe. It's going to be an extremely difficult match in Istambul but I hope we'll reach the finals this time (2 years ago we fell to SP.Braga in the semi finals ;-; ). We have a very solid and experienced team. Also I have a good feeling because the ffinal is in Amsterdam, a City that brings great memories to our older supporters, since We won our last Champions league there against Real Madrid with the great Eusébio scoring an hat trick - more than 50 years ago ;-;
xD

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
I speak to a Benfica fan pretty regularly and he would have rather faced them in the final. Crazy home support for that lot.

As you follow the Portuguese league you'd be a good person to give some opinion. How do you rate Lisbon's Ricky van Wolfswinkel?

Years
I speak to a Benfica fan pretty regularly and he would have rather faced them in the final. Crazy home support for that lot.

As you follow the Portuguese league you'd be a good person to give some opinion. How do you rate Lisbon's Ricky van Wolfswinkel?

In my opinion, Wolfswinkel is a good striker. You can tell just by looking at the number of goals he's scored in the last 2 seasons. He has great technique to shoot, great positioning and he's also a good header. He has some flaws though, he isn't the best player to keep the ball long in his possession and reveals some hard technical issues with the ball in his foot, which helps to explain the love/hate feelings Sporting fans have towards him.

Gabri

m8
Years
Wolfswinkel is a good striker. The way he moves around the defenders to create space and avoid his markers is just amazing, then just get the ball to the box and he'll put it in. Shoots well with both feet and with his head as well.
This season, Sporting has scored 44 goals in 37 matches (in all competitions) - Ricky scored 17 of those. Considering that this is the worst season in the club's football history (knocked out in the last spot in the EL group stages - knocked out in the first round in the National Cup and the League Cup - currently in the 9th place in the league with 5 matches remaining) and the crap thing they wanted to call football that the team's played throughout this season I'd say they are pretty nice numbers. Last season, he scored 25 goals in all competitions, not bad at all for a first season in a club with such dimension.

The question is that English football is different, and I don't know how well he'll adapt to a more direct playing style since, well, he's not that fast, doesn't have the strength of an ox, neither does he race all around the pitch pressuring everyone and pick the ball from behind (which is something that some of our supporters hate for some reason) and his technique isn't developed enough to hold the ball for too long. He's not a bad "first touch" player though.

First post of mine in the new thread, yay.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I'll be watching the Tiges vs the Pie tomorrow at the MCG. Hopefully we can thwart our enemies haha. Everyone hates Collingwood. Except for their supporters naturally. XD They're just...so good to hate on haha. Hopefully we can step our game up like we did with the Western Bulldogs and thrash them from the centre. The one thing I'm worried about though is our goal kicking ability; considering that we fail to seize a plethora of six point opportunities. We'll need to be nearly perfectly spot on with our goal kicking if we're to have any chance of winning. It will be tough. Not to mention the atmosphere will be cray. So yeah, I'm excited haha.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Well, we lost. Quite miserably too. We kept the game pretty even - we lead the first two quarters, but Collingwood just thrashed us form the centre and thwarted us. Bloody Travis Cloak smashed a bunch of goals, very much determining the winners and the losers for the rest of the match. ):

Years
Tomorrow, we have another chapter of Portugal's biggest classic: SL Benfica vs Sporting CP. In the league, Benfica (1º Place) is 34 points ahead of Sporting (9º Place) when there are 5 matches left to the end. If Benfica wins, we'll keep at least a 4 points advantage against FC Porto (2º place). Sporting's only hope for this season is to reach an European spot.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
We won. on to 38 points, up to 13th and but for a crazy run of results, safe.

With Sunderland turning it on it looks like a straight up fight between Villa and Wigan for that 17th place finish. Both have pretty horrible fixtures from now on. Would be pretty great if my lot helped relegate Villa.

Will probably watch the Benfica vs Sporting game.

Years
Benfica won 2-0 in a difficult game against our eternal rival Sporting. I've seen much better this season from Benfica. Now we are 4 points ahead of Porto with 4 games left (one in Porto). We also have a trip to Istambul this Thursday x:
The 2nd goal from Lima after a great individual effort from Gaitan was truly masterpiece. Let me share with you guys:

gaitas3qs1m.gif

Last edited:
Years
Lovely goal there, I suppose I'll say enjoy him while you can, he'll probably follow Di Maria's path eventually.

I've renewed my season ticket for another year, why do I put myself through it?

And Suarez is at it again, he never fails to amaze me.

Back