• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeCommunity Mapping Project

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
Years
  • Age 25
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 12, 2019
Welcome to the PokeCommunity Mapping Project!
This is a project we started in the discord to try and make a really big map authored by a large variety of mappers. The idea is that we make the map a single 12x12 chunk at a time, without anything but one tile of context in each direction. For example, you might get a base that looks like this:

Wtwvrf1.png

Then you'd be expected to fill in the map, with no restrictions except that you need to avoid any tile errors. Then, you'd send an image of your 12x12 mapped area to me, and I'll add it to the final map. This doesn't take long, usually just 10 - 20 minutes. You might return a picture like this:

kWEz5Z3.png

This project uses exclusively the default FRLG Outdoor tilest in AdvanceMap. You can use other map editting programs instead if you want, but please stick to default FRLG tiles. You are allowed to use custom blocks, just not directly at the border of your map. If you want to do a map, please make sure you would be able to get it done within a few days! If it takes too long for you to complete a designated area, it will be handed off to someone more active.

Here's what the map looked like after only three days, with 11 different authors:

R75kjxk.png

Imagine how big and cool it would be with even more mappers submitting even more chunks!

To get an assignment, simply post in this thread asking for one. You can also ask for it to be easy/medium/difficult, and I will try to give you an assignment best catered to that, as some borders can be really tricky to make a map out of. I will PM you your assignment, and you will send your finished results back to me over PM. Updates with the entire map as it is will be posted in here regularly!

This will be made into a ROM Hack using these maps as a base. You can decide more about what will be in the ROM Hack itself by doing more maps! Here's what you can get:

1 Map - Choose a Pokémon that will be catchable in the game! You can get this reward for each map you do.
3 Maps - Become an NPC in the game! Choose where you are, and what you would want to say/do.
5 Maps - Become a trainer in the game! Choose where you are, what you say, and what Pokémon you would want to have.
10 Maps - Become a Gym Leader in the game! Choose your location, type, team, and help design your gym! (Max: 16)
15 Maps - Become a Professor in the game! Design a 24x24 area for your Lab and surrounding area, and create a quest involving you as a professor!
20 Maps - Become a member of the Elite 4! Also, help design a quest involving you as a part of the story. (Max: 4)
25 Maps - Have an in-game fan club! Trainers across the entire game will know you, and there will even be a fan club dedicated to you!
XX Maps - If you've contributed the most maps of anyone, you will be the Champion of the Elite 4!

Current List of Contributors:
Dyskinesia
Wobb
Disturbed
Farore
Rainbow
DizzyPink
3Flex
Bedbo
Tzujm33
Bela
Rognut

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
Just wanted to say, it's really freaking cool and fun to work on. We could definitely use more contributions.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
yay more people

it really is a lot of fun. Very little dedication required.

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
can I sign up for this?

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
Years
  • Age 25
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 12, 2019
Okay, we're back up and running after the holidays-- I sent everyone assignments, and there's always room for more!

Back