• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding new evolution methods [FR]

Years
How about Karrablast-Shelmet trade evolution, Gligar and Sneasel evolution, and Inkay evolution? I believe Inkay's is almost impossible?

There already is Gligar and Sneasel evolution, look up the first post and see "day/night evolution while holding an item". How would you want Inkay's evolution to look like on a emulator though?

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
Years
There already is Gligar and Sneasel evolution, look up the first post and see "day/night evolution while holding an item". How would you want Inkay's evolution to look like on a emulator though?

I'm sorry that I overlooked the Gligar and Sneasel evolution method... Hmm, yeah that's what I'm also thinking right now...

Years
  • Seen Dec 17, 2018
I have a few questions ;3;

Spoiler:

Sorry for a lot of questions lol​

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
Years

Spoiler:

1. You have to insert an rtc yourself using a day night tool
2. Like all the new evolution methods you have to change the .ini
3. The stone gender evolutions have not yet been made yet
4,5,6. not sure

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years

Spoiler:

2. It means that you have to go into the ROM and edit the evolution to change which map it uses.
3.Actually the gender by stone evolution has been done by Gogo and I madea version myself, but as I am not satisfied with how I did it, I am not releasing it till I fix it.
4. If you dont know, then dont worry about it.
5. Again, if you dont know, dont worry about it.
6. Not entirely sure what you're asking here.

1. You have to insert an rtc yourself using a day night tool
2. Like all the new evolution methods you have to change the .ini
3. The stone gender evolutions have not yet been made yet
4,5,6. not sure
Actually the gender by stone evolution has been done by Gogo and I made a version myself, but as I am not satisfied with how I did it, I am not releasing it until I fix it.

Joexv

Years
Why would i not worry about if i just dont know,i dont know if its something i may have to do, id like to know, im trying to learn.

Why would i not need to know?

Cause both require you to knowengly have changed them.
For the pokemon stats, if youve expanded then yes change it, and for the other, that requires quite a bit of ASM to change the layout of the stats in RAM.

Im not saying dont learn. Im saying if you dont know if theyre changed then they arent changed.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 7, 2017
Firstly, the tutorial tells us a lot, thanks.
But there's a serious problem that the "required codes" in the thread is actually not need, you can always use your own code to load parameters and handle registers. Actually it's more safe and simple so why should we always push & pop r0-r7?
Another thing is that there're levelcheckloc & evoloc. The former will check the parameter of level, so in some cases, like the D/N evolution, we will never use any of the "required codes" because the routine itself will handle all the things and we don't need to load parameters except level. :)

Years
Looking to pick this up from where it stopped.
I want the following evolutions, and I'll be trying them from now on:
- Level + Item;
- Gender + Stone;
- Level + Pokémon in Party > loses that Pokémon from the party.
Those are the ones I'm trying.
It would be great to receive help. joexv, you are more than welcome to step in!

Last edited:
Years
By the way, where can I find the "Hold Induced Evolution" without any specific time (no Day/Night) and the "Stone Evolution" with gender?

Hold induced?
Also, I saw comments on Gender + Stone and Level + Item been done. Can you confirm?
joexv was working on them, but he didn't come to a working completion. We were also trying to find why stone evolutions can't be cancelled.

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
Years
Hold induced?
Also, I saw comments on Gender + Stone and Level + Item been done. Can you confirm?
joexv was working on them, but he didn't come to a working completion. We were also trying to find why stone evolutions can't be cancelled.

Yeah... Hold induced is when a Pokémon levels up and evolve while holding a necessary item... Those are already made but in a specific time (day or night)... I'm just not sure if there's something like that without the day or night condition exist... I'm also not sure if that's the same with Level + Item which does exist...

The Gender + Stone, I'm not sure... I haven't seen that yet...

Years
Yeah... Hold induced is when a Pokémon levels up and evolve while holding a necessary item... Those are already made but in a specific time (day or night)... I'm just not sure if there's something like that without the day or night condition exist... I'm also not sure if that's the same with Level + Item which does exist...

The Gender + Stone, I'm not sure... I haven't seen that yet...

Don't know how you can pick a specific time of the day and a specific item, but that doesn't include specific level. Pokémon just level up, but still, that's two arguments. Changing the daytime to be level, should work.
I say this, 'cause if I'm not wrong, they are in the main post.

Level + Item which does exist

WHERE????

Thanks joexv!
If what both of you said is correct, I won't have to work much.

Hi everyone,

BIG TEXT

Thank you and good luck
Hey kearnseyboy6. You should really update the first post if these new evolutions are working alright.

Years
Need a more experienced fellow hacker here, as I haven't had the chance to try it myself, yet.
Is it possible to run a code like this:
Spoiler:

What's the idea? Since we can have an argument up to #0xFF, I first thought that we could make argument 101 on level be like "Level 40 + Metal Coat", but then I remembered that the "Level" evolution routine wouldn't check for items, so it's not much use.
But if we could make another evolution method, one that runs a check for every type of evolution you want and simply give it an argument value, it could work.
Of course, there are probable ways of making this way more efficient, since looking for 0xFF possibilities could take a while, though I don't think people will do that many evolution types.
I had an idea of putting all equal level checks together, or items. That way, instead of jumping to the next check, we could have something like this:
Spoiler:

Problem is I only have 3 arguments in this example, but since I let all Metal Coat evolutions together, if the first check doesn't find a Metal Coat, it goes straight to the next item, ignoring all the possible levels + Metal Coat. Even comparing Metal Coat again is deletable, since if it's not Metal Coat, the code will jump all Metal Coat evolutions. I only let there to show the idea (and to be safe).
The problem now is, can this idea work? The argument stops being two things. It's two checks, and then you give a single argument for each combination. Aaaand, it can be edited via G3HS.
Thanks for the attention.

EDIT:
Okay, I've worked on getting what every register meant before calling an evolution routine and wrote this, based on kearnseyboy6's routines, what's in IDA and the game.
I didn't have time to finish this up and clearly this is meant for my own hack, knowing what evolutions I will need. If it works, it'll be easily editable to get a different combination of levels and items for each argument entry.
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
kearnseyboy6, update your thread!
Got the Level+Item routine working!
Now before I start, the item is kept after the evolution. I'll dig into this now, but me myself, I'll keep items after the evolution. Just a heads up.
There are lots of ways of doing this. While I think the way I did was pretty nice and intuitive (hence why I did it), many people might say it's unefficient or whatever.
But the importante part: IT WORKS!

1. Generic Routine
Spoiler:
This first code is the generic version of my code. You only need to update Levels, Items IDs and the labels (that you can name after the items, or however you want. Also, delete all the parenthesis when you are done, or it won't work).
For example, see the code I'll use for my game below.

2. Example Routine
Spoiler:
As you can see, you can add checks for how many levels and items you want. The evolution argument is not level, not item, but a "combo" of both. For example, in my routine, 1 = Level 10 + Silver Powder, 2 = Level 10 + Poison Barb, 11 = Level 50 + Metal Coat, etc.
So the limitation is 255 combinations of level and item (probably more, but I didn't test, nor will, and I'm weak to think right now)
Now, to change the Pokémon's evolutionary argument, simply add an evolution method on G3HS and as argument type, use Level. Now, it's going to show up as "Level: x" in G3HS, but read "Combo: x", since that number also represents the "combo id" number. You can also go to the Pokémon's Evolutionary Information table at 08249754 and have fun finding your specific Pokémon's argument and simply change it. The rest can be changed in G3HS, you only really have to go there if you have more than 100 combos (same number as level numbers go).
Here's an example of my compiled routine, if anyone is happy with my code in its current disposition.

3. Compiled Example
Spoiler:

Hope you guys enjoy!

EDIT:
And just because I worked hard for this, here's where I used my evolutions in my hack:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Joexv

Years
Now before I start, the item is kept after the evolution. I'll dig into this now, but me myself, I'll keep items after the evolution. Just a heads up.
There are lots of ways of doing this. While I think the way I did was pretty nice and intuitive (hence why I did it), many people might say it's unefficient or whatever.

1. Generic Routine
Spoiler:
This first code is the generic version of my code. You only need to update Levels, Items IDs and the labels (that you can name after the items, or however you want. Also, delete all the parenthesis when you are done, or it won't work).

2. Example Routine
Spoiler:
As you can see, you can add checks for how many levels and items you want. The evolution argument is not level, not item, but a "combo" of both. For example, in my routine, 1 = Level 10 + Silver Powder, 2 = Level 10 + Poison Barb, 11 = Level 50 + Metal Coat, etc.
So the limitation is 255 combinations of level and item (probably more, but I didn't test, nor will, and I'm weak to think right now)
Now, to change the Pokémon's evolutionary argument, simply add an evolution method on G3HS and as argument type, use Level. Now, it's going to show up as "Level: x" in G3HS, but read "Combo: x", since that number also represents the "combo id" number. You can also go to the Pokémon's Evolutionary Information table at 08249754 and have fun finding your specific Pokémon's argument and simply change it. The rest can be changed in G3HS, you only really have to go there if you have more than 100 combos (same number as level numbers go).
Here's an example of my compiled routine, if anyone is happy with my code in its current disposition.

3. Compiled Example
Spoiler:

Hope you guys enjoy!

EDIT:
And just because I worked hard for this, here's where I used my evolutions in my hack:
Spoiler:

One thing I feel I should mention on this. Unless I'm mistaken if any pokemon is holding any of these items when they level up, they will evolve. So you can have a Seadra evolve into Kingdra while holding a metal coat.
Because of this, honestly until a program allows both Item and level arguments to be added onto one routine OR have each item have a separate routine where the argument is simply just a level.

Edit: Woo 900 posts

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
Years

1. Generic Routine
Spoiler:

2. Example Routine
Spoiler:

3. Compiled Example
Spoiler:

Hope you guys enjoy!

EDIT:
Spoiler:

How about without any specific level? Just holding an item and level up in any level?

Years
One thing I feel I should mention on this. Unless I'm mistaken if any pokemon is holding any of these items when they level up, they will evolve. So you can have a Seadra evolve into Kingdra while holding a metal coat.
Because of this, honestly until a program allows both Item and level arguments to be added onto one routine OR have each item have a separate routine where the argument is simply just a level.

Edit: Woo 900 posts

No Joe, I made sure. You have to edit the Pokémon's evolution method to Level+Item and attribute one of the "combo" values as an argument.
Metal Coat and say, Level 30, is combo 5 (for example). If a Pokémon with Level+Item evolution method has a combo 4, it won't evolve on Level 30 holding a Metal Coat. That's what "cmp r0, r2" does in the "Argument Check" section.
=D
Also, I only did this as I tried the method you gave me that used tables and stuff.
I don't know if I was too unexperienced or was doing something wrong, but I decided to make my own Level + Item evolution.
Also, the Level + Specific Item evolution is indeed simpler, but I didn't think of it when I was doing this. Plus, you can have up to 255 combinations of Level and Item. A single routine can take up most of the combinations, so I thought it wouldn't make much of a difference.

How about without any specific level? Just holding an item and level up in any level?

This is easy. Hard is making the item go away.
Maybe hooking into the stone evolution, where you can't cancel. But I haven't found that, and didn't mind to keep looking as nobody seemed to show interest for it.

Joexv

Years
No Joe, I made sure. You have to edit the Pokémon's evolution method to Level+Item and attribute one of the "combo" values as an argument.
Metal Coat and say, Level 30, is combo 5 (for example). If a Pokémon with Level+Item evolution method has a combo 4, it won't evolve on Level 30 holding a Metal Coat. That's what "cmp r0, r2" does in the "Argument Check" section.
=D
Also, I only did this as I tried the method you gave me that used tables and stuff.
I don't know if I was too unexperienced or was doing something wrong, but I decided to make my own Level + Item evolution.
Also, the Level + Specific Item evolution is indeed simpler, but I didn't think of it when I was doing this. Plus, you can have up to 255 combinations of Level and Item. A single routine can take up most of the combinations, so I thought it wouldn't make much of a difference.

This is easy. Hard is making the item go away.
Maybe hooking into the stone evolution, where you can't cancel. But I haven't found that, and didn't mind to keep looking as nobody seemed to show interest for it.
Oh I missed that. So for the argument its just which method then correct?

Back