• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Studio Ghibli Films?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
e47fac2c-f5cd-4efd-b7ef-da021cb2fd0f.jpg

Have you guys ever seen the films from Studio Ghibi?

If so, which one(s) would you say are your favourite to watch? If you haven't seen them all, which one(s) do you feel are most interesting? Feel free to share any thoughts!

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years
My favorite is The Cat Returns. It really takes me back to my childhood.
Mononoke is also one of my favs.

I haven't tried any of their post-Miyazaki movies.

Years
The only one I've actually seen is Spirited Away, which I really liked. After looking through that list though, I'm thinking I'll probably give Omoide no Marnie and Hotaru no Haka a go as well as both look really good.

pkmin3033

I have a love-hate relationship with Ghibli films, and even when I love them I'm often just lukewarm about them; I've never been particularly blown away or moved by them, and whilst the signature art style has grown on me, it's not something I'd really hold up as the pinnacle of animation.

I didn't really get what the fuss was about with Spirited Away - although I did watch that quite early on when I was just getting into anime, and I was more taken with Nausicaa and Howl's Moving Castle - and some of the later films (Ponyo, The Wind Rises) are pretty dire. When Marnie Was There was much better the second time I watched it though, and Arietty shocked me for being pretty good, even though I've despised everything Borrowers-related that I've ever seen before.

Hit-and-miss, but never enough either way for me to say it's outright terrible (just boring, mostly) or that it's one of the best things I've ever seen. I often feel like I'm watching an incomplete story that omits several key points and is over before it really begins; I have literally never been satisfied with the ending to a Ghibli film.

Years
Kiki's Delivery Service is one of my favourite films of all time, let alone anime.

Kaguya-hime and Grave of the Fireflies are excellent too.

Seen a couple of others, Spirited Away and Gauche were decent but not on the level of the other 3. Summer Wars is in this tier btw Mey.

Still got loads of the big guns left to watch. Should be good times.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I think I watched little less than half of their movies (or well known at least).
My favorite one is definitely Mononoke Hime.
Mainly because it was my first one. And it was something I watched way way before becoming proper weeb. So... in a way, it's a beautiful childhood memory :)

Years
I am a big Ghibli fan. I've seen all of their feature films. Why some people don't like them, I don't really understand. Sure, some are more child-oriented, but that can't be the only reason. I think they're (almost) all brilliant.

When Marnine Was There, Porco Rosso, and Whisper of the Heart are my personal favorites, but I'd also recommend The Wind Rises and Howl's Moving Castle as good movies that, I'd hope, anyone could enjoy fairly easily.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
I've only seen two, the pivotal Spirited Away and the non-Miyazaki (Well Hayao anyways) Tales from the Earth Sea, at-least most of it. Some clips of Ponyo. I think Spirited Away didn't hit me as much as I think it would've if I was a younger Anime fan, though it is my favorite of the two.

I'm still going to continue watching them, at-least Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, and Howl's Moving Castle.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
I've seen virtually all of them... except the new ones because I'm a cheap piece of garbage. XD

If I had a top 3:
Princess Mononoke is probably my number one. With grave of the fire flies on a close second. and, Howls Moving castle third.

MechaMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Years
I had the opportunity to go to the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo, but I couldn't figure out how to buy tickets (had to buy a specific date and time from a single chain of stores). I was pretty disappointed. There's still a bunch of merchandise and entire Ghibli-themed stores, kinda like Disney in the States.

However, I've only seen chronologically by release up until The Cat Returns. I did see The Wind Rises in theaters, though.

Whisper of the Heart is my favorite drama, while my favorite action/fantasy is either Nausicaa or Totoro. I do like Mononoke and Spirited Away, but some parts are kind of confusing.

Years
I love all the ones I saw! Though I will admit I didn't find Totoro (saw it for the first time last year) to be as interesting as I'd hoped.

Arrietty is by far my favorite. Such a good story that made me cry at a few points. I'd gladly rewatch it tons of times and probably never get bored. I wish more people saw this one! It's lovely.

Grave of Fireflies... that destroyed me for a good few weeks. =s ;_;

pkmin3033

One of the better Ghibli films I think. Good soundtrack.

MechaMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Years
So Cinemark in the USA is doing a Ghibli series with one film every month in theaters. I saw Totoro subbed on Monday, and it was wonderful. It was so cool to have the theater experience with a bunch of people who already loved or were learning to love the film.

It was also neat to be in the theater with kids who couldn't read the subtitles fast enough, but they were still laughing during the film because the actual blocking and comedy transcended words. The magic of cinema right there.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
So Cinemark in the USA is doing a Ghibli series with one film every month in theaters. I saw Totoro subbed on Monday, and it was wonderful. It was so cool to have the theater experience with a bunch of people who already loved or were learning to love the film.

It was also neat to be in the theater with kids who couldn't read the subtitles fast enough, but they were still laughing during the film because the actual blocking and comedy transcended words. The magic of cinema right there.

Intesting, missed Totoro, but if I had to pick one, which should I see? I've already seen Spirited away. Kiki's delievery Service, Castle in the sky, or Howl's moving castle?

MechaMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Years
Intesting, missed Totoro, but if I had to pick one, which should I see? I've already seen Spirited away. Kiki's delievery Service, Castle in the sky, or Howl's moving castle?

I'd see Kiki's, personally. The other two are good, but Kiki's filled with a whole bunch of whimsy and is a lot lighter. Plus, I find it a little bit more iconic.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Grave of the fireflies, spirited away and howls moving castle were my favorites, in that order. Looking at that list, I didn't know they actually had quite so many movies. The past year or so I'd been slowly getting through all the ones I'd skipped and I thought I was making some pretty decent progress. Guess not.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I saw Totoro and The cat's return only, but I really enjoyed them. The at's return was my favorite out of the two.

Back