• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding new types into Fire Red without replacing

Mr.Mako

Resident Edgelord Troll
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 10, 2023
This just occured to me but would this process (slightly adjusted) work on R/S/E ya know so you can keep the contests?

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
This just occured to me but would this process (slightly adjusted) work on R/S/E ya know so you can keep the contests?

I wouldn't know, I don't hack it myself. Unless you can find the "type icon position" table, I don't think you can.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 30, 2018
hey, this tutorial has been very handy for my hacking team, though we have come across a problem. If you can help that would be great!

Here is the problem-

i tried to add a new type (the shadow type from Pokemon Colosseum and xd)
and got up to the icon part of this tutorial (well to the end of that part) anyways i followed the tutorial exactly. By that i mean i placed the shadow icon exactly where you placed the fairy icon and enlarged the image to a dimension of 8 and put the -type- icon below. and when i tested it in game the icon for the type i added was -power- can anyone help me make the shadow icon pop up?

i hope you can help me.

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
hey, this tutorial has been very handy for my hacking team, though we have come across a problem. If you can help that would be great!

Here is the problem-

i tried to add a new type (the shadow type from Pokemon Colosseum and xd)
and got up to the icon part of this tutorial (well to the end of that part) anyways i followed the tutorial exactly. By that i mean i placed the shadow icon exactly where you placed the fairy icon and enlarged the image to a dimension of 8 and put the -type- icon below. and when i tested it in game the icon for the type i added was -power- can anyone help me make the shadow icon pop up?

i hope you can help me.

Are you sure you changed the "Type Icon Position" Table correctly? The one with all the 20 0C in it. Remember, every column you add 0x04, and every row you add 0x20.

loldamaru

say lol
Years
Hey ShyRayq!
Can we add one more type to the empty space beside Fairy icon? And how to create coordinate with it? Also, on editing coordinate, why we don't need to repoint the table? Thanks ..
I appreciate your help!

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Hey ShyRayq!
Can we add one more type to the empty space beside Fairy icon? And how to create coordinate with it? Also, on editing coordinate, why we don't need to repoint the table? Thanks ..
I appreciate your help!

Sure, you could potentially create up to 255 types, if you're crazy enough. And creating co-ordinates is just the same simple.
Copy paste from my last post:
"Remember, every column you add 0x04, and every row you add 0x20."

If you're creating more types, than you obviously will need to repoint the table. I just didn't here because the icon for "Effect" isn't used so there's no harm done not giving it a co-ordinate.

loldamaru

say lol
Years
Sure, you could potentially create up to 255 types, if you're crazy enough. And creating co-ordinates is just the same simple.
Copy paste from my last post:
"Remember, every column you add 0x04, and every row you add 0x20."

If you're creating more types, than you obviously will need to repoint the table. I just didn't here because the icon for "Effect" isn't used so there's no harm done not giving it a co-ordinate.

Nah.. you should explain it clearer from start. I'm too confused with coordinate. Thanks, ShyRayq!

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Nah.. you should explain it clearer from start. I'm too confused with coordinate. Thanks, ShyRayq!

Remember, its all in hex.
Okay, so go to your chart. Look at where you're new type is.
To find co-ordinate, go to the top-left corner. That's 0x00.
Now, count how many rows it takes to get to your icon. Now multiply that number by 0x20 and add it to 0x00.
Now, count how many columns it takes to get to your icon. Now multiply that number by 0x04 and add it to your new number. That's the co-ordinate of your icon.

When implementing it into the co-ordinate chart, you'll have the co-ordinate and also the size. The size should always be 0x20 and 0x0C.

Now, just repoint and expand for infinite types.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 1, 2014
"Ignore the 28 which isn't changed into a 20, I forgot to do it in this shot"

I'm really sorry to say, but I have no idea which 28 I'm supposed to be changing to 20 (There are wuite a few 28's in the picture). (And don't try to explain it, because I didn't understand the whole paragraph above. )
Could you specifically state which one please? I'm sorry but as you can tell I'm not that smart and have little to no knowledge of Hex. Would be great if you could make a video when you have free time sometime, I'm sure it would help out a lot of people having the same problem.
Also, would you please explain what the exact measurements in between the boxes would be, so I don't run into any conflicts. (That's what happened when I did it myself, I messed up all the sprites) Either that or would someone mind showing me an example of a spritesheet with a few types already added I could just overlay with my own if it's not too much trouble. Sorry for being a pain, but I'm learning and everyone's gotta start somewhere.

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I'm really sorry to say, but I have no idea which 28 I'm supposed to be changing to 20 (There are wuite a few 28's in the picture). (And don't try to explain it, because I didn't understand the whole paragraph above. )
Could you specifically state which one please? I'm sorry but as you can tell I'm not that smart and have little to no knowledge of Hex. Would be great if you could make a video when you have free time sometime, I'm sure it would help out a lot of people having the same problem.
Also, would you please explain what the exact measurements in between the boxes would be, so I don't run into any conflicts. (That's what happened when I did it myself, I messed up all the sprites) Either that or would someone mind showing me an example of a spritesheet with a few types already added I could just overlay with my own if it's not too much trouble. Sorry for being a pain, but I'm learning and everyone's gotta start somewhere.

The 28 I mention is the one directly proceeding the highlighted A8 in the picture in the first post. This is because 28 is originally the size for the "Effect" Icon, but for type icons, you need 20. So you would just change that.

Years
could i have the icon for the fairy type to add??

It takes a few seconds to make your own: you can literally just copy and paste letters from the pre-existing types image and just make your own Fairy-type icon. That said, I doubt anyone will be particularly angry if you were to use the one in the OP.

Years
It takes a few seconds to make your own: you can literally just copy and paste letters from the pre-existing types image and just make your own Fairy-type icon. That said, I doubt anyone will be particularly angry if you were to use the one in the OP.

okay thanks. :] ill try it now I guess.

Years
Okay so im new to hacking like i started 3 days ago so i have a question if you don't mind they may sound really dumb and obvious to you but like I said im new so just bare with me please. First, i got to the hex editing part and found where the DC 5D E9 08 is but im confused what im suppose to put in place of that? Any help is much appreciated thank you.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 11, 2014
Hi!
Sorry for the, probably, dumb question. I am new to pokemon hack and when i get to this part of the tutorial: "So in my case, I've got 00 00 80 08, which is quite bland. Anyway, now replace the original pointer with the new one. There's only 1 case so that's the only one.
Then, find the palette pointer, which is BC5DE908, and replace it with the reformatted pointer of your palette data"

I undestand, i think, that you are chaging the pointer to the new image and palette that we inserted. But were i am supose to get my pointers for the image and the palette that i have inserted ? I have the memory adress for the image and the palette, 803308 and 805308. But where do i get my pointer so i can apply the algorithm to make the game undestand and apply in hex?
Thank you!

Edit: I got it. Thank you!

Last edited:
Years
Sorry if this is grave digging, but I got I did everything in step one, but I keep getting this:
i.imgur.com/GduaUMz.png
What did I mess up?

Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2023
hope some one make a tutorial in youtube cause i dont get it in the part replace the pointer thingy

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Sorry if this is grave digging, but I got I did everything in step one, but I keep getting this:
i.imgur.com/GduaUMz.png
What did I mess up?

Okay. This is probably what happened. You exported the image, edited it, and you probably edited the palette somehow via indexing or something else. Then, you inserted it, BUT, you didn't import the new palette, so the old palette stuck, giving you strange effects OR, you DID insert the new palette but you didn't repoint it. So what I say is insert it again, with the palette, and repoint it.

hope some one make a tutorial in youtube cause i dont get it in the part replace the pointer thingy

What parts are you having trouble with?

Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2023
Okay. This is probably what happened. You exported the image, edited it, and you probably edited the palette somehow via indexing or something else. Then, you inserted it, BUT, you didn't import the new palette, so the old palette stuck, giving you strange effects OR, you DID insert the new palette but you didn't repoint it. So what I say is insert it again, with the palette, and repoint it.

What parts are you having trouble with?

the part after find DC5DE908.on HxD since i'm new to hacking
Spoiler:

Back