• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Making Moolah in Crystal

DEWGgaming

Newest Legend
Years
I recently got Pokémon Crystal on Game Boy Color, I just got to the Rival battle at the Burned Tower, and I have an issue: I'm broke. I've beaten every Trainer that I've come across, so I need a repeatable way to get money, but I don't fancy the idea of beating the tar outta Joey's Rattata everyday for his petty lunch money. Anybody got any recommendations? Is the Goldenrod Game Corner a profitable venture?

Last edited:
Years
Do you have any stat boosting items like HP Ups, etc, or Nuggets? You could sell them for some quick cash (stat boosting sell for $4900, Nuggets=$5000).

For some slow-to-get but repeatable money, you could catch a Meowth on Route 38 (West of Ecruteak). It learns Pay Day at level 20. If you use Pay Day in a battle and then win the battle, you'll get twice Meowth's level in money. You could go to an early Route, defeat wild Pokemon with Pay Day and get money that way, but it will take a long time.

To be honest, Goldenrod Game Corner's a way to spend a lot of money. Game Corner Coins are really expensive to buy, and take ages to acquire through the Game Corner Games. The prizes are expensive in Game Corner Coins and sell for very little regular money.

I'd say the best thing to do is just proceed with the game and try to spend your money only on items you really need (such as a few healing items), and it will soon build up.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

DEWGgaming

Newest Legend
Years
Thanks! As of writing this reply, I?ve (SPOILERS FOR POK?MON GOLD/SILVER/CRYSTAL/HEARTGOLD/SOULSILVER)
Spoiler:
and gathered over ?20,000 in the process.

Years
Every time I play Gen 2 I make a fortune by beating every trainer I can.

I only spend small amounts of money on balls and healing items at the start, then eventually you find many healing items as you explore.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I love the fact you put a spoiler tag on plot points for such an old game, aha. Made me smile. But yeah, unfortunately, it's hard to get money in older games where rematches aren't a common occurrence. Just sell items you have no use for (Nuggets, X boosters, I personally don't use Repels so I sell those too) and make sure to rematch the folks that call about a battle. Now that you're further along in the game and obviously intend to beat it, you can also rematch the Elite Four over and over for cash. Unlike newer games, they don't get stronger, so you don't have to worry about going back and them being level 70 or anything. Best of luck!

Back