• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

VGC 17 team

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I made this team for a VGC mini tournament at my university. I won two rounds and lost two rounds with it (best out of 3).

Anyway, here's the team:

Celesteela:
celesteela.png

-Heavy Slam
-Flamethrower
-Leech Seed
-Protect
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/44 Atk/116 Def/116 SDef/4 Spe
Item: Leftovers

This is the Pokemon I decided to base this team around because of its good stats (except Speed) all around and nice defensive typing. While it may be somewhat easy to play around nowadays, it's still pretty good. Heavy Slam is the main STAB attack because Celesteela is the heaviest user around. Flamethrower is here for the Celesteela mirror match, as well as Kartana. Leech Seed + Protect discourages walls from sticking around for too long. The EV investment makes Beast Boost increase Celesteela's Attack when it KOes something.

Marowak:
marowak-alolan.png

-Flare Blitz
-Shadow Bone
-Bonemerang
-Protect
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/180 Atk/4 Def/68 SDef/4 Spe
Item: Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod

Marowak partners well with Celesteela and Milotic (more on it below) because of Lightning Rod. When there are Electric users around, I try to keep Marowak alive long enough for it to deal with said Pokemon. It also hits hard in general. Flare Blitz and Shadow Bone are STABs, though the former is mainly used as a last resort attack or when a Fire weak target is around; Bonemerang allows Marowak to hit Arcanine, opposing Marowak, and Gigalith very hard. Protect is here instead of Detect because I didn't breed for it.

Milotic:
milotic-f.png

-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Recover
-Protect
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP/76 Def/172 SAtk/4 SDef/4 Spe
Item: Sitrus Berry
Ability: Competitive

Some of this team is physical, which attracts Intimidate. Milotic is in here to make Intimidators regret their coming to the field. Scald is the main STAB, which can burn things. Ice Beam hits Grasses and Dragons. Recover keeps Milotic healthy when timed right. Protect does Protect things, like stalling out field conditions, sponging a Z move, and giving a partner time to KO a counter.

Garchomp:
garchomp.png

-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Poison Jab
-Protect
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Groundium Z
Ability: Rough Skin

Garchomp is another good teammate for Celesteela because it can use Earthquake freely. It also gives the team some much-needed speed. Speaking of Earthquake, it can be converted into Tectonic Rage to chunk something hard. Dragon Claw is a single-target STAB that can't be blocked by Wide Guard. Poison Jab is here to hit the tapus hard before Garchomp goes down to them.

Tapu Koko:
tapu-koko.png

-Thunderbolt
-Dazzling Gleam
-Discharge
-Protect
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Fairium Z

Tapu Koko also gives the team even more speed to work with; it also functions as the secondary Z move user. Thunderbolt and Discharge are its primary STAB options, the former to not be blocked by Wide Guard and the latter to be used alongside Garchomp or with a Protect to hit both targets, bypass opposing Lightning Rods, and have a paralysis chance to support the slower attackers. Dazzling Gleam is the other spread attack. While Gigavolt Havoc gives Koko a stronger nuke, I went with Twinkle Tackle to surprise KO healthy Dragons. Note: This Tapu Koko is Hasty because I'm planning on using this in singles (with different moves) as well.

Tapu Lele:
tapu-lele.png

-Psychic
-Moonblast
-Dazzling Gleam
-Thunderbolt
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf

Tapu Lele is the team's revenge killer with strong, Psychic Terrain-boosted Psychics to pick off faster targets and muscling past non-resists. Moonblast and Dazzling Gleam are here for the same reasons as Discharge and Thunderbolt on Koko. Thunderbolt lets Lele at least do something against opposing Celesteela.

When I tested this team against my cousin before the tournament, I originally had Tapu Bulu over Tapu Lele to better deal with the Water Pokemon Tapu Koko can't handle. After the test, my cousin said that the team needed more speed, so I added Scarf Lele in.

When I played this team in the tournament, I struggled with the Snorlax + Tapu Fini combination. I didn't have the Fighting moves to handle Snorlax, so it was free to set up in my face. Is there anything that can at least mitigate this matchup?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
Back