• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

what is your favorite player in pokemon game

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 21, 2018
1- Red
2Ethan
3-Kris
4-Lyra
5-Brendan
6-May
7-Leaf
8-Lucas
9-Dawn
10-Hilbert
11-Hilda
12-Nate
13-Rosa
14-Calem
15-Serena
16-Sun
17-Moon

for me is Ethan the hero from gold,silver, crystal and their remakes
he is the best

followed by RED the silent protagonist

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen yesterday
Ethan because I thought he looked the coolest, both in the original games and the remakes.

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
Red is my favorite. I like that you play as him in Gen 1, battle him in Gen 2, and battle him again in Gen 7 when he's 20 years older.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
Crystal_Kris.png

Kris is my #1, always and forever.

First female protagonist, and she has an awesome design, to boot. Always loved her dark blue hair and spiky pigtails, and her outfit's sleek and sporty, yet still comfortable and practical. This is a girl who's ready to go out on an adventure, kick Team Rocket's ass, catch Suicune, and become Champion, just as it should be.

I will never forgive HGSS for discarding her in favor of an underage pinup Mario wannabe. Talk about a slap in the face to the games' first female protagonist (and all of the female fans for whom she was very important). It's a giant black stain on what are otherwise solid remakes.

Fire_Red_Leaf_Green_Leaf.png
Ruby_Sapphire_May.png

These two aren't far behind. Gen 3 did a great job of continuing the theme of strong, confident female protagonists started by Kris. May was another sporty girl who looks ready for an adventure, while Green (many call her "Leaf," but I prefer her having a color name like Red/Blue) was an excellent example of a girl who was unquestionably feminine, yet still looked strong and battle-ready.

Sadly, remakes weren't kind to these two, either. HGSS effectively retconned Green out of existence by making Red the only possible opponent on Mt. Silver, while ORAS gave May an overly cutesy, fanservicey makeover that was clearly inspired by her ditzy, annoying anime counterpart.

Black_White_Hilda.png

After a strong start in Gens 2 and 3, female protagonist designs largely went downhill after that. As soon as the anime decided to ditch Misty and exploit May as a piece of fresh meat for boys to drool at, GF quickly picked up on it and started to increasingly design female protagonists to be "eye candy" rather than girls ready for an adventure.

Dawn ran around the cold, mountainous Sinnoh region in nothing but a tiny pink miniskirt, while Lyra was wearing a literal fetish Mario costume. Then, there was Rosa and her tiny yellow ruffle skort, while Serena had the "sexy schoolgirl" look with her short skirt and thigh-highs.

Hilda, however, was a brief respite from this regrettable trend. While her outfit was still a tad skimpy (although she's meant to be a teenager instead of a preteen, so it's not as problematic), she was still otherwise practically dressed and looked like a girl ready to kick some ass, just like Kris, May, and Green before her.

It's frustrating that she doesn't have an animated counterpart anywhere and has mostly been forgotten, although at least I didn't have to see the anime turn her into a ditzy coordinator/performer like it did May and Kris/Marina. Hopefully, if BW are ever remade, GF doesn't crap on Hilda the same way it did Kris, Green, and May in HGSS and ORAS.

Crystal_Ethan.png
brs.png

Unless it's RBY/GS, I never play as the boy (although if it's HGSS, I'll definitely hunt down a "play as Kris" fan patch first). The biggest reason is because I'm a woman (duh), but another reason is that the male protagonists are usually just too bland and generic.

It's painfully obvious that Red is intended to be an "Average EveryDude," right down to the very basic baseball cap/t-shirt/jeans/sneakers attire. There's nothing really offensive about his design, or anything, but he does come off as very generic and more like a default avatar than a unique character in his own right.

Male protagonists got even blander beginning in Gen 4 when GF started designing them to be cheap knockoffs of Red with Ash's color scheme (all so Ashy-Boy could have a new outfit every gen). Look past the beret/scarf, and DP Lucas was literally just a palette swap of FRLG Red, while Hilbert was nothing more than a teenage version of FRLG Red. Put Hilbert in a visor and shorts, and you had Nate, while Calem was yet another teenage version of FRLG Red. Yawn.

However, inbetween Gens 1 and 4, we did get a couple of boys who had more interesting designs and weren't bland Red knockoffs -- Gold and Brendan.

Gold (I refuse to call him "Ethan" ) was definitely inspired by Red and shared many features with him (black hair, baseball cap, black t-shirt, red jacket, grey backpack), but he still looked like a distinct character with his own style. He had a different color scheme, he wore his hat backwards, and he wore a hoodie/shorts instead of a light jacket/jeans. Gold's style takes pretty strong influence from late 90s skater fashion, which was no doubt meant to go with the skateboard that was originally planned for GS.

As for Brendan, his original design was very awkward, and I can see why so many people disliked him when RS first came out. He looked like he had white hair, he was wearing a bulky, ugly tracksuit (in a tropical region, nonetheless), and his official art made him look a little insane.

In retrospect, I appreciate RS Brendan far more now simply because he at least had his own look and wasn't a bland Red knockoff like all the guys that followed him, but the poor kid badly needed a nicer outfit, which Emerald definitely delivered. He was wearing clothing that was lighter, sleeker, and sportier (despite the shorts-over-pants look), and even his hat was made more obvious. In general, Emerald Brendan looked more mature and confident, and even if I'll never actually play as him, I still like his look a lot.

Of course, since Brendan is a player character I like, that means he got ruined in a remake, just like my favorite girls. GF clearly got caught halfway between keeping Brendan and replacing him, so they just threw his clothes on this tall spray-tanned kid (who seems to have abs that a prepubescent body shouldn't have) and told us he was supposed to be the same character. Uh, sure. >_>

Last edited:
Years
I like Serena. First she is simply a colorful and lovely girl. On default she looks like someone I would want to sit next to in class. She is feminine, but still relatively simple. There's something about her smile and eyes that are very natural.

Second Serena represents the first time that I could really be myself. Kris excited me as a kid because I could make my character sprite a girl like me. To a girl who was almost ten herself this seemed like what I could be one day. It may seem simple, but it was just so exciting and amazing to us at the time.

Serena peaked my interest in the same way as an adult. I didn't have to play as a girl with Sailor Moon style hair to my knees or be the beauty or flamboyant character of previous sprites if I didn't feel like it. I could make someone who looked like me, and that was refreshing and novel. Lemme put on my boots and my spectacles. By customizing Serena the adventure becomes a lot more personal, it was amazing for me to see myself catch Yyvetal with my cropped dark hair and a skin tan that none of the other sprites had. It was A lot fun to unleash my creativity, she looked like me, but she was also my work of art, and I have always been drawn to areas in the Pokemon world no matter how minor that allow you to create, whether building and decorating a fun space for your Pokemon in pokemon Amie, adding seals to your pokeball to express how you feel or putting together a costume and background to help your Pokemon in the contest formats.

Serena just represents total freedom to me. Your hair can be long or short, hers was both in the series. You can blonde, brunette, redhead, a woman of another race. Its your game, you play it! Wear your jeans, your sneakers and leather jacket or be that eclectic girl with the scarf and boho sweater.

Even though customization returned in the 7th generation I infinitely prefer the chibi 3d art style of 6th gen. To me technology was the focus of the Alola games to the point that the characters lacked expression and were hard to relate to, they looked and moved robotically. Gen 6 wasn't just beautiful, the sprites had warmth and charm.

Last edited:

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
I feel like Red has sort of an advantage in these sorts of surveys, since he's the only one who was made into an actual character, who we see what happens to after the game...Anyway, I like a lot of them.

Like most of the fandom, I have a special place in my heart for Hilda...What can I say? Her design is just cool, with a different 'look' than the other female protagonists; she's become such a symbol of Gen 5 (which just so happens to be my favorite, and the one I have the most powerful nostalgia for); and we actually do get to find out secondhand what she (or Hilbert, I guess >.>) does after the end of BW. Plus, I sorta like how she's the only one who doesn't have to become Champion...it makes her feel more 'down-to-earth', but also more awesome in a way - like, she had better things to do than pursue the title; but make no mistake, this girl can stand up to a Champion any day!
(Also, just putting it out there, she's the one who rescued my favorite Pokemon from Liberty Tower's basement and gave it a new life. ♥)

Rosa never grabbed me as much, but I do like her a lot! Design-wise, I'm a fan of the way her pink undershirt ties around her neck, her shorts-that-look-like-a-skirt (seriously, I loved that sort of garment around the time B2W2 came out), her visor instead of a full-on hat, her intricate shoes...and that hairstyle, dang. {XD} Her whole design just has this quirky, individualistic feel to it that makes her seem like a pretty cool person. Plus...I was oddly struck by the scene in Driftveil City, where Hugh declares the reformed Plasma members unworthy of forgiveness and storms off the premises, but the player character stays behind to hear them out. I mean, it's the kind of thing we take for granted - our character hanging around wherever the plot is unfolding - but thinking about why Rosa chose to do that, as well as the fact that Rood entrusts her with N's Zorua immediately after seeing that and remains her ally for the rest of the game, gives her (or Nate, I guess >.>) a bit more character than most protagonists in my eyes.

D/P Dawn...As much as I make fun of her woefully inadequate protection against Sinnoh's cold, I can't deny that her design is beautiful in a way that fits my 'aesthetic'. First of all, I love her black hair - it's something different, when most of the female protagonists have various shades of brown hair; and it's just plain nice-looking, especially with her pale skin and grey eyes. (Why did they have to make them blue in the anime?! Serena's too! >:() Her outfit is also very pleasing, with the black, white and pink color scheme (black being the focal point the lighter colors contrast with), and the zig-zag shapes of her top which seems to lead naturally into the 'petals' at the hem of her skirt. Even that name, 'Dawn'...short and melodic, evoking both the beauty of a sunrise and a symbolic new beginning. There are other player characters who could be described as 'pretty', but Dawn is elegant.

And finally, I'm going to go against popular opinion and express my love for Lyra. (Although I should note that I do understand, after looking into various fan opinions on the matter, why it wasn't a good idea to replace Kris with anybody...) Part of it is the fact that I played SoulSilver at a young age and have such good memories of playing as Lyra, making up an entire personality for her and her team; but also, there's just something about her design that gets me. I think it's the way she's dressed in a down-to-earth casual outfit (jean shorts, what seems to be a tight-fitting hooded sweatshirt, hair pulled back, shoes that honestly look like something I'd wear IRL), but with a quirky spin (overalls instead of regular shorts, hair in pigtails, strange hat). I'm also fond of the poses in her sprites. Her front sprite always looks to me like she tried to strike a battle-ready pose on the spot, but it came out a little awkward; I see this same quality in her VS sprite and back sprite. (Now that I'm actually looking at his sprites, Ethan also has it.) That doesn't read to me as 'girlish' or weak, but just...endearingly human, not to mention relatable to how I am in real life. Sure, Lyra doesn't look like the kind of person who would face Legendaries, battle dangerous criminals and become a champion...but for me, that just makes it all the more satisfying that she does!

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen yesterday
Hilbert and Hilda. I like the air of maturity that comes with them being the oldest protagonists, I'm also fond of Hilda's tomboyish design.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
I like Serena. First she is simply a colorful and lovely girl. On default she looks like someone I would want to sit next to in class. She is feminine, but still relatively simple. There's something about her smile and eyes that are very natural.

Second Serena represents the first time that I could really be myself. Kris excited me as a kid because I could make my character sprite a girl like me. To a girl who was almost ten herself this seemed like what I could be one day. It may seem simple, but it was just so exciting and amazing to us at the time.

Serena peaked my interest in the same way as an adult. I didn't have to play as a girl with Sailor Moon style hair to my knees or be the beauty or flamboyant character of previous sprites if I didn't feel like it. I could make someone who looked like me, and that was refreshing and novel. Lemme put on my boots and my spectacles. By customizing Serena the adventure becomes a lot more personal, it was amazing for me to see myself catch Yyvetal with my cropped dark hair and a skin tan that none of the other sprites had. It was A lot fun to unleash my creativity, she looked like me, but she was also my work of art, and I have always been drawn to areas in the Pokemon world no matter how minor that allow you to create, whether building and decorating a fun space for your Pokemon in pokemon Amie, adding seals to your pokeball to express how you feel or putting together a costume and background to help your Pokemon in the contest formats.

Serena just represents total freedom to me. Your hair can be long or short, hers was both in the series. You can blonde, brunette, redhead, a woman of another race. Its your game, you play it! Wear your jeans, your sneakers and leather jacket or be that eclectic girl with the scarf and boho sweater.

Even though customization returned in the 7th generation I infinitely prefer the chibi 3d art style of 6th gen. To me technology was the focus of the Alola games to the point that the characters lacked expression and were hard to relate to, they looked and moved robotically. Gen 6 wasn't just beautiful, the sprites had warmth and charm.

Thankyou for posting this <3

KipKap

Inactive
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Apr 18, 2019
I liked Hilda the most, simply since she looked like me so I could "relate" to her most. Ethan is pretty cool too, and so are the Gen 7 trainers. And of course, Red.

Years
Hilda a Rosa are my favourite girls from the games, mostly for their design.

And for the boys, I would go with Ultra Sun (Or what is his official name). I like his dorky design much more that original Sun, which looked like Calem on vacation.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Red is the best badass, with the best name.

He's a genuinely good protagonist in the manga series too, which is what Ash should've been.

Back