• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which ash is best? Kalos or alola?

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Well, Ash in Kalos is at least still actually trying to focus on his goal, so I'd probably say Kalos, if only because Alola really short changed him with how they forced him into the school environment, and if it weren't for the Kanto Reunion arc, we'd probably assume he isn't trying to become a Pok?mon Master anymore (CoroCoro certainly implied such was the case).

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
Sorry but this isn't even debatable. We all know the answer here. Although I guess it depends on your own personal opinion...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 8, 2024
I think that the Karlos Ash was the most grown up and mature out of all the series so far.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
In all honesty it's not just Ash, the entire Kalos series cannot be topped. It just reached or even surpassed the expectations, god I miss it, I want more content from that series...

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
In all honesty it's not just Ash, the entire Kalos series cannot be topped. It just reached or even surpassed the expectations, god I miss it, I want more content from that series...

Well, Alola does top Kalos in at least one respect: The Gym battle between Misty and Ash in Alola (not to mention Brock and Kiale's battle in the same episode, or heck, Misty vs. Lana and Mallow as well as Brock vs. Lillie and Sophocles for that matter) did far more to redeem the status of Gym Leaders after they were given a pathetic depiction since AG than even XY did with their gym leaders (and that series until that point came the closest to doing so).

I can also say that Alola definitely gave Lillie a far better character arc than AG did with May.

Beyond that, however, I agree, Kalos DEFINITELY tops Alola by far (although I still think the OS is ultimately better than even Kalos).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Aug 2, 2018
this isnt even a debate lul i mean kalos ash in theory is the best ash so far i would like to see a battle between kalos ash and sinnoh ash would be intresting

TheMattress

#ReleaseTheEpisodes, #RocketVSPlasmaPlease
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 20, 2018
Alola Ash. Kalos Ash is boring as whitebread.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
Well, Alola does top Kalos in at least one respect: The Gym battle between Misty and Ash in Alola (not to mention Brock and Kiale's battle in the same episode, or heck, Misty vs. Lana and Mallow as well as Brock vs. Lillie and Sophocles for that matter) did far more to redeem the status of Gym Leaders after they were given a pathetic depiction since AG than even XY did with their gym leaders (and that series until that point came the closest to doing so).

I can also say that Alola definitely gave Lillie a far better character arc than AG did with May.

Beyond that, however, I agree, Kalos DEFINITELY tops Alola by far (although I still think the OS is ultimately better than even Kalos).

What do you mean by ruined? Do you mean how Ash beat every gym on his first try except for the first and last, or their overall battle styles?

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
What do you mean by ruined? Do you mean how Ash beat every gym on his first try except for the first and last, or their overall battle styles?

Just look at the Tate and Liza Gym Battle. That was the sheer low point as I see it during AG with respect to Gym Battles. I thought Sinnoh did an ok job though seeing as Ash lost to Roark and to other Gym Leaders in unofficial Gym battles(Gardenia and Fantina).

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020

Pretty much how Ash managed to beat every gym on his first try except for Brawley (probably his only REAL loss in the region. I'm not counting the earlier battle with Norman as that was more of an excuse to force Ash to go the route of the games.), and with a purely all-rookie team no less. At least Johto had him using some of his veterans besides Pikachu. The only Hoenn gym leaders that genuinely impressed me there were Brawley and Roxanne (the former for, you know, actually beating Ash, and the latter for the fact that she at least to Pikachu, a confirmed veteran). Plus, to a certain extent, there's the battle styles. Aside from the infamous Tate & Lisa battle victory as CodeHelmet referenced earlier, there's also the time where Ash and Pikachu fought against Wattson. Technically, Wattson did at least lose to a veteran as well, but the problem was that both Ash and Wattson ended up technically cheating in the match (Ash by doping Pikachu by accident by taking out the Robotic Raikou, and Wattson by even using the Robotic Raikou at ALL), which STILL made him look very bad and incompetent. To sum it all up, it's hard to take the Gym Leaders all that seriously as being cr?me of the crop trainers that the OS alluded to when they lose as easily to rookies as Jessie James and Meowth are known to do (including especially the third episode where they infamously lost to a near-dead Caterpie despite having literally every advantage, and that resulted in them gaining a reputation among both fans AND certain in-universe characters as being trainers who were so pathetic that beating them at all is not even a brag-worthy achievement), which is what Hoenn did with them.

Sinnoh, I'll admit did better in that the Gym Leaders actually did manage to beat Ash more often than not, with Ash actually having to struggle to fight them with his team. Unfortunately, it still didn't quite work since, thanks to the infamous level resets that Ash and Pikachu had to go through, it came at the cost of Ash and Pikachu looking incompetent where they lose despite them beating a Regice single-handedly just a few episodes back, which STILL makes the Gym Leaders look pathetic in another sense.

Unova arguably was even WORSE in its depiction of the gym leaders than Hoenn was. Aside from it repeating the exact same mistakes Hoenn made with the gym leaders by having them lose easily to Rookie Pok?mon, thanks to how Ash was infamously characterized in that saga, it also came across as them losing to someone who was brain damaged.

Kalos was, until the Kanto Reunion arc of Alola obviously, the closest any of the anime series came starting with AG earlier to EVER redeeming the gym leaders by depicting them as truly skilled trainers as their reputation claimed in the OS, where they actually managed to beat Ash multiple times in a way that DIDN'T make Ash look incompetent as a result. Even the one win Ash DID get that didn't require a rematch beforehand, it was made explicit that the gym leader in question used a self-imposed handicap. And we actually SEE what the Gym Leaders do so we get a gauge of their true strength beforehand.

Back