• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Generation III ROM Hacking Tutorials [Video Series]

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Sam1994 said:
Very nice tutorials.. Needed something like this since a long time..Thanks a lot!
You're welcome!

I'm updating this thread to alert that the first part of the twenty-fourth tutorial has been completed and released!

Years
You're welcome!

I'm updating this thread to alert that the first part of the twenty-fourth tutorial has been completed and released!

Could you update the first post, so it just has links to your video instead of loading the video into the post? My PC and I'm sure many others' lags a lot when loading the OP. :D

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Could you update the first post, so it just has links to your video instead of loading the video into the post? My PC and I'm sure many others' lags a lot when loading the OP. :D

Hmmmm m m mmmmmm mmmmm mm m m m...
My intention was for people to be able to watch the videos without having to open any new tabs or to be redirected somewhere else. I logged onto an older, slower computer sitting in my closet and loaded the page, but it loaded relatively quickly even without being cached.

Curiously, how slow is it for you to load this thread compared to some other lengthy thread?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 12, 2017
I'm updating this thread to alert that the twenty-fifth tutorial has been completed and released!

Made an account here to thank you for your efforts on this series. I tried making a romhack in the past, but most of the resources I could find were either in Spanish or glossed over concepts I wasn't familiar with at the time (index your sprites). Only about a week into my hack and I feel very confident in my ability to finish it within a year, thanks to your tutorials. Hope you keep the series going.

Years
A possible suggestion for you Anthroyd, if it hasn't been done already in one of your videos.
Even though the tutorial videos have been about making rom hacks, the sprites, cries, scripts, tiles, etc. Have you shown how to actually make the ips? Since it isn't allowed to upload the roms themselves.

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
A possible suggestion for you Anthroyd, if it hasn't been done already in one of your videos.
Even though the tutorial videos have been about making rom hacks, the sprites, cries, scripts, tiles, etc. Have you shown how to actually make the ips? Since it isn't allowed to upload the roms themselves.

Patching is covered in tutorial 22 Hex Maniac.

ASDBUDDY

The Derp
Years
Hi, anthoyd! thank you so much for this godlike perfect tutorials and for introducing me to ROM Hacking!
also i needed one help. I want to permanently lock my player and rival names. I found that it is only possible via ASM and i tried following one such tutorial and failed catastrophically ! If you could helpme in any way that would be great
P.S if this is explained in one of your videos sorry for not paying attention to that :P

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 6, 2017
Hey can I ask that the video 3 could be explained a little easier? Im new started hacking today and I didnt understand the palettes and blocks and what you did to make custom blocks. I understood the transperancy,palette editor part and the x-y flip but not the first 10 mins of your video where u talk about 2 tiles 1 transparent etc.Can I ask if it is recommended to use a rom base to do the mapping or do the sprites,icons editing first then use the mapping?Because I dont know how to check the pokemons in the rom base as the PGE and APSE show errors. Thanks for you awesome videos!!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 4, 2021
These tutorial videos are great, but how can you make a trainer disappear after battling them or after the aftertext? I get the fades to work but he is still either there or I have to go in a building to refresh my game for him to disappear.

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
These tutorial videos are great, but how can you make a trainer disappear after battling them or after the aftertext? I get the fades to work but he is still either there or I have to go in a building to refresh my game for him to disappear.

Learn about flags and variables in the tutorial titled History Never Repeats Itself.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 18, 2017
The embeds doesn't seem to be willing to show up for me. Upon Inspecting element, it seems they are there, but copying the links and manually navigating to the video results in a 404.

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
The embeds doesn't seem to be willing to show up for me. Upon Inspecting element, it seems they are there, but copying the links and manually navigating to the video results in a 404.

I've added external links to each video within the spoiler tags. I've never experienced your problem firsthand, but this should fix any future case of it.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 28, 2017
What program/s will I need in order to create a Rom Hack of my own. A Rom Hack for Pokemon Ruby.

RuFF

Hope you're having a RuFF day!
Years

Thanks for making these video tutorials. I learned a lot.

I have a request,

Can you make a tutorial on how to change the world map for Fire Red? I can't really understand the other tutorials and some of them doesn't have images.

Years
Please help me with map connections, I whas trying to get them setup so id remove trees and a little fence from route 1 to pallet town, BUT it keeps giving me this ''Acces violation at adress 004C15A7 in module ''AdvanceMap.exe''. Read of adress 00000324." When i try to edit my connections how did i fix it!???

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 14, 2017
I need help everytime I go to use advancemapping to make my hack ill use firered and it says that the file needs to be extracted or that its not a gba file plz help

Back