• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A-1 since the beginning

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Seeking guidance, my niggas.

I need to make a roleplay to impose my pretentiously-high proficiency standards on the boards and the only one I've attempted to run prior was the Pokemon contest roleplay, International Idol Star Tournament, so of course I should try to preserve its legacy, since that's what you do with food past its expiration date, you just put it back in the freezer, right?

Jokes aside, IIS ("T" neglected for similarity to "ISIS") detailed the titular televised competition which pitted prominent and probably talented Pokemon coordinators against one another in ten, high-action phases spanning the known Pokemon world, from Hearthome to Nimbasa to the Sevii Isles. Each phase would essentially be its own individual contest, consisting of a primary round where competitors presented their pampered partners for points, the appeal round—the main performance, usually based on some pre-established theme—and a concluding mystery round that would vary for each phase. The main appeal would be judged for points according to a panel of judges; along with the host, they would be their own idiosyncratic, GM-controlled characters whose respect would be in each coordinator's best interest to earn. If I brought IIS back, I'd want to put a greater focus on the "televised" aspect and likely enforce the idea of player characters constructing personas in order to establish a niche within the cast to be most approachable to their audience.

Alternatively, there's my more blatantly satirical P. K. C. -- The RPG, a roleplay inspired by JRPG and generic fantasy taking place within the super continent of Pakké, a world whose tiny planet is in danger of being entirely obliterated by an ultra-powerful extraterrestrial force. In hopes of fulfilling a prophecy that proved incorrect once but, surely, wouldn't let everyone down again, a theatre troupe adapts the role of an adventuring band and, under the sub-par leadership of three "Guild Masters", they plan to traverse the known world in pursuit of the Elementaries, or 'Els for short: eight stone-like devices that are the hearts of all magic in Pakké (recreational use of magic being banned a few decades prior). Mechanically, the roleplay would be divided into three segments concerning combat situations, setting exploration, and campfires in-between 'El-searching missions, the latter where characters are expected to engage in productive discussion regarding where next to explore based on compiled clues and who to exi—err... Exploration will mostly concern players combing the area for useful items and, as hinted, above clues and essential knowledge, as well as scraps of lore and the potential to receive STAT upgrades and buy helpful items. Combat is a more curious ordeal; players will be restricted to fixed-size 650 x 650 text boxes—stay with me, okay—, as well as their enemies, and any damage dealt will reduce the height and width of the text boxes. A character is considered incapacitated when their text spills over the edge of the text box. Damage itself will be dependent on what a player writes: certain enemies are more vulnerable to certain writing techniques, whether run-ons and grammatical make them queasy or soliloquies about arbitrary subjects literally bore them to death. Players should exploit these weaknesses to win. There will also be status ailments cast by enemies that will change the quality of a player's text which may make it harder to keep inside of the box. I would, of course, provide all necessary CSS through the
HTML:
 tags (unless those have changed, in which case, fuck me) so players wouldn't have to have an established understanding of this site's version of coding to feel comfortable fighting. 

There's a lot I can say about [I]P. K. C.[/i] that I might have left out but I'll also pay mention to the inclusion of classes and races, all dependent on player creativity though three "defaults" will inevitably be created through the Guild Master characters. The intention was it to be both an original fantasy world and also one that is a complete and utter cluster fuck so, if you're the sort to want to sincerely characterize a giant green not-penis in a chariot, I wouldn't take issue with your decision, [i]though I might perceive you in a different light.[/i]

Anyway, I'm stuck between integrating one of these two ideas. My goal is to make a roleplay that both allows me to commentate on the, uh, [i]situation[/i] here, if I can just be frank, while also being accessible to newer roleplayers and writers. 

Here are some other ideas I have stored as well: 
[spoiler][LIST]
[*]Steven Universe RP with emphasis on space exploration and cosmic horror 
[*]A RP that combines the "mage" element of [i]Noble Magic[/i] with gang conflict inspired by [i]Venice[/i] in a Renaissance-era Italian Crips v. Bloods affair [I](YAWK YAWK YAWK YAWK!)[/I]
[*]RP within a science-fiction-y Pokemon universe where characters unable to go on Pokemon journeys for assorted reasons turn to a virtual-reality MMO equivalent; a tongue-in-cheek light novel x Homestuck x Pokemon cluster fuck where characters play characters while also conversing outside of the game through a chat room, simulated through the OOC thread 
[*]Avatar: The Last Airbender; no other ideas, just want to be a swamp bender 
[*]An RP inspired by Girlish Number and other shitty moe garbage I'm sure you Trubbish spawn are familiar with where the characters' objective, being apart of an indie animation studio, is to create their own anime; could be developing a videogame instead to be less weeb-ish
[*]A magical girl roleplay where the characters make literal deals with the devil to obtain their powers which will ultimately be used to call off the rapture brought about by seven monstrous "Archangels" (name pending) 
[*]The Vietnam War essentially re-inacted with people and Pokemon; I'm not even kidding, L.T. Surge was always right
[*]Another fucking Pokemon RP except players are part of an evil organization; may be two rivaling criminal groups channeling Aqua and Magma; grunts would be more stealth-oriented than outright weaker members, or there would be various roles within each organization, each telling of a member's capabilities
[*]Hell's Kitchen: the RP
[*]RuPaul: the RP
[*]Big Brother: the RP
[*](none of the above are jokes, i'll assert)
[*]RP where player-controlled characters would have the ability to summon ferocious entities by temporarily sacrificing a specific bodily organ, and depending on the necessity of said organ, their summon will either be incredibly powerful and short-lived or lesser and lasting; will likely take place in a setting reminiscent of feudal Japan
[*]Pokemon RP taking place in the midst of a zombie outbreak perpetuated by the mass spread of parasitic fungi as result of mass Parasect breeding; will likely become a Dead Rising x Pokemon affair with characters being trapped in one of the series' malls (Goldenrod, Celadon, Route 9, etc.) mowing down psychopaths, fighting back against infection, and otherwise just trying to survive before the military can arrive; can cut the middle man out entirely and just make it Dead Rising-inspired 
[*]Good ol' pirate RP that amalgamates historical accuracy, in terms of how pirates around the Americas and Carribean conducted themselves, and fantasy with creatures like krakens and otherwise non-human entities; players would be part of one common crew partaking in various misadventures; GM characters would include a parrot-cat hybrid named "Carrot" and a flamboyant Anne Bonnie-esque female pirate with a closet uncomfortably similar to artsy pop sensations like Lady Gaga
[/LIST][/spoiler] 

I have way too many ideas, haha

Ech

Years
  • Age 104
  • Seen Oct 30, 2018
I am holier than tho and I have no life, lmao

As someone who participated in the second (?) iteration of your coordinator RP, I want to support IIS making a comeback. I've always considered it as one of those Anti-Journey RPs, since it ignores the idea of emulating a traditional adventure you could just experience in the main series but focuses its efforts on expanding on a minor activity that's, to bluntly put, is mostly neglected by its source and consequently left bare-boned. It encourages players to explore something new, gives them leeway to try out new things.

I like your approach on emphasizing on the entertainment aspect, having our characters pander to the audience and judges in order to achieve a higher score. It creates this tension that forces our characters to behave in conditioned ways and, provided you handle the judges a similar way, everyone has different expectations for our performers. It's the reason why I enjoyed "Goro" in Cornered (basically a reoccurring character who is a security guard who penalizes bad-doers) since it affects the incentives of players and encourages them to be more creative by forcing them into predicaments that lack a clear way of solving, or at least providing one relatively obvious solution, so they rely on improvisations or making moral compromises for the sake of making advancement to avoid getting slugged -- it's a intricate way of conveying a character's personality and it can create a lot of tension for a player so they can immerse into the RP's mechanics and story. I especially like how each judges you made had different affinities, so one may find your antics hilariously awful, another might find it charming and it gives a lot of colour to your setting, which was something I enjoy.

But then there's PKC.

The concept sounds like it could easily become the "Undertale" of Roleplays, as it's super meta, even making clever use of CSS that extends beyond just making things look purty, and the satirical nature could be translated into deconstructions of concepts most of us are familiar with so players who are shy about branching out of their comfort zone have an easier time settling in. It's also making full use of people's individual writing styles and encouraging others to cultivate their creativity through innovated mechanics that passively influence the RP's narrative, as opposed to implementing basic features like levels that only serve to give player characters restrictions, and even then it's only relevant for RPs that focus entirely on combat (Dust is a great example where levels are more useful and help manage character growth). I really like the idea of a player's own talents and skills being honed to adapt to these mechanics and the various scenarios they come across, as their own character goes through their own individual development, and the correspondence gives this unique feature I didn't really think was ever a serious possibility for this medium. Gives more reason to think, which gives more reason to care to help players be more invested.

Of course, this RP does have some issues that could ward away potential players. Despite my approval for it, I do think the mechanics could inadvertently restrict certain writers as there's a heavier emphasis on writing in ways we're not used to - in particular, I'm focusing more on combat and perhaps a bit on the exploration aspect, provided that follows similar rules (campfire sounds like it's just for shipping). Failing to adhere to these conditions seem like players could get penalized with death (i.e., getting kicked out of the RP) simply because they may have made some spelling errors and misused a semi-colon. While the intention is amazing, I do feel some people, particularly those who are sensitive about their writing which they may see as inadequate to begin with, might get rubbed off the wrong way and just feel devastated, which nobody really wants. I want to know how you, as GM, will be able to handle these potential issues so people won't just label you as Ms. "HOLIER-THAN-THOU TRY-HARD WHO THINKS RP IS SRS BUSINESS LMAO" for assessing their content? It really could discourage newcomers, which is always sad. For me, I see a fun and unique activity that could really help people improve their writing abilities, but I'm aware my perspective on things vary drastically from other people, which is why I like having discussions for better insight.

if you're the sort to want to sincerely characterize a giant green not-penis in a chariot, I wouldn't take issue with your decision, though I might perceive you in a different light.

LISTEN

It's not licentious to play as a female penis. It's artistry.

btw I don't care about your other ideas. well, except maybe the rp where we summon demons WITH OUR FUCKING ORGANS, LOL WHAT GURL YOU CRAZY

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
second (?)
is this a roast
Yeah, I think I definitely want to be more overt in making IIS[/s] an antithesis to the typical journey RP formula. I can likely do that by covering the bases that people never did (I hope people aren't still obstinate about rehashing these kinds of RPs) which is to consequently encourage world-building, rather than rely on players' prior knowledge, and provide a concrete end ambition; in the context of IIS, it would be winning that season, but I also would to put sincere emphasis on how fantastic winning would be; I want people to want their characters to succeed. At the same time, I would want to integrate elements of the journey RP that were unfortunately lost oftentimes due to lazy, distant management of the GMs' behalves: the implication of free discovery and just the allure of exploring a world of Pokemon. The "discovery" element, I think, would come from the free periods in-between the contest phases, which I initially forgot to mention, where competitors can just wander around some of the highlight cities and locals from the games. They could find some useful service or item, they could fool around with their fellow coordinators, they could get on the good or bad side of a judge.

Actually, on the subject of in-game contests being "bare-boned", I would want to parody that in IIS 3.0 too; the fact that contests are really just watered-down, over-embellished battles where the number of Pokemon onstage disallowed from directly facing each other creates petty chaos. The International Idol Star Tournament would usher in a new era of coordination, one requiring actual artistry. And could that be a possible parallel to something else?

But thank you; if my onslaught of bulleted ideas below was too oblique, I adore the concept of a game show RP, mostly because, as you said, I would love to explore the dynamics of a technically "ordinary" individual transforming into a TV star, the stress of keeping up a facade for the sake of accessible media. I agree that it says a lot about a character when they're forced to not stay true to themselves. CONFLICT. COMPETITION. ROLEPLAYING IS EDGY.
Ech said:
I especially like how each judges you made had different affinities, so one may find your antics hilariously awful, another might find it charming and it gives a lot of colour to your setting, which was something I enjoy.
but wtf are these tenses tho, keep this up and ur going on the no-join list buddy
Ech said:
But then there's PKC.
I finally fucking found a way to make CSS an actual mechanic. I'm so proud of myselllfff

There's deconstruction and then there's overt satire, but I do think deconstruction would inevitably occur from applying aspects of roleplaying to an organic setting; "sign-ups", for example. I don't think staging a roleplay around tearing apart roleplaying would necessarily create an isolated audience though it might help if players came with RP-related preconceptions. I think I would want P. K. C. to be more so a discussion, as well as satirical in-nature, than my jaded ass giving an indirect lecture, though how I'll translate that I'm currently unsure of.

Regarding what you believe might create a barrier between me and an audience: understand the difference between writing "well" and writing in adherence to guidelines; there would be no judging of the arbitrary quality of someone's post. I'm actually led to believe you misconstrued "run-ons and grammatical errors" as being a bad thing in the hypothetical situation I gave; these things would do heightened damage to certain enemies was what I was looking to communicate. If a player understood a hyena was weak to fragmentation, they'd flood its character's response to the hyena launching itself at him with. Unfinished sentences. Like these. Or they'd be more artistic with it. Swoosh, slash. Those were two fragments there. But at what cost? It's more a show of adapting different writing styles than anything, ultimately, and of course if a player didn't understand what "fragmentation" entailed, there would likely be a description given. This isn't "Excuse for Maligant to Feel Self-Aggrandized: The RP".

The exploration segments, I think, would be the ones prioritizing creativity, though I wouldn't plan on them being as mechanic-driven as the combating, just characters being characters and being attentive of their environment. At the same time, I want to distribute a sense of freedom to both me and the players. I don't want to take a page out of Jauntier's book and have the entire universe being solely dependent on me being there to facilitate; every time a character wants to find a clue, they have to go through my NPC, every time a character wants an upgrade, they have to go through an event of mine. Characters shouldn't be finding gold and keys and potions every post though. What if I gave scrambled directions to individual players? Planted OOC hints to influence IC behavior, but have the RP members to have to discuss amongst themselves in order to translate the cryptic suggestions first? HMMM...

(Campfires would actually be the most crucial points of the game in-terms of sealing the dynamics of the group and determining whether the players successfully reach the end of their quest, so I'd stop laughing.)

"Nude-ness is art" -- Makao

Just don't write a bj scene, kk or do and just don't call it a dick
Ech said:
btw I don't care about your other ideas. well, except maybe the rp where we summon demons WITH OUR FUCKING ORGANS, LOL WHAT GURL YOU CRAZY
FUCK, I JUST REALIZED HOW SOMEONE WOULD PROBABLY MAKE A CHARACTER THAT SACRIFICED THEIR DINGDONG

That's fine.

Songbird

Tonight, the marigolds bloom for her.
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
RP where player-controlled characters would have the ability to summon ferocious entities by temporarily sacrificing a specific bodily organ, and depending on the necessity of said organ, their summon will either be incredibly powerful and short-lived or lesser and lasting; will likely take place in a setting reminiscent of feudal Japan

FUCK, I JUST REALIZED HOW SOMEONE WOULD PROBABLY MAKE A CHARACTER THAT SACRIFICED THEIR DINGDONG

As someone who loves Soul Sacrifice on her Vita, I am on this like white on rice, but let's make it a little more specific.

Thousand Sons: A man sacrifices his testicles to summon a variably-sized battalion of potential children as armed specters in the shape of grown demonic men. Higher the number, lower the staying power, and they may or may not be naked.

Driven by Lust: A man rips his dick off and uses it as succubus bait, who then comes and entrances every nearby living thing to do the summoner's bidding. Most effective on other men.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ech
Years
I'd be interested in a re-reboot of IIS. I was in both of the other two, after all. I enjoyed the break from the norm, but I agree heartily with developing more pronounced personas for our characters. Really, that's what I was going for last time, trying to play the entitled rival who clashes with the other contestants. Because really, the point is to get noticed, and who doesn't love a great villain? (The only flaw being my own lack of creativity leading to my character failing to be memorable.)

Onto discussion of other ideas! (Since apparently that's what we're doing here.)

P.K.C. What is this I don't even. The sheer concept is either genius or insanity, but I'm all for it either way. I think the primary problem Ech was concerned about is "people getting defensive about their writing skill", or more likely, "people getting upset that they were penalized for a lack of writing skill". As long as you don't go "Oh, you mispelled too many words, you lose the fight." Or "You said 'there' when you meant 'they're', you don't do any damage this turn." Personally, I'd be all for a system that penalized poor grammar (but I used to proofread and edit stories, so I may be biased), but some people are more sensitive. However, it appears that your system rewards playing with word conventions rather than punishing word crimes, so it should be fine. Also, not everyone here speaks English as a first language, so some leeway is required.

Regarding your other ideas, many of them are simply "RP set in this 'verse", many of which I'm unfamiliar with, so I'll skip over them. I can only say "I've never seen Steven Universe or Avatar" so many times before my tongue gets tired. (Besides, I've been introduced to a lot of media through RP's, so I usually wait to see if the game itself interests me rather than condone or condemn based on source material.)

"RP that combines the "mage" element of Noble Magic with gang conflict inspired by Venice in a Renaissance-era Italian Crips v. Bloods affair":

I really like the "mage" angle. Always have, always will. I tried Venice, I just got discouraged when nobody wanted to play with me, and I can only write so many solo stories before I start feeling left out and left behind. (I had the same problem with Gunpowder.) This could be fun, as long as it doesn't live or die by JP's.

"Pokémon RP: The RP":

It's an RP where we're playing an RP. It better have a very interesting story, or it will just fall apart. And you know the Discord chat will overtake the OOC, and we'll have to consider that canon, and every off-topic thing said in Discord becomes canon, every "oops, wrong chat" becomes canon, every- oh no, I've gone cross-eyed...

"Magical Girls vs Seven Evil Exes":

This sounds fun. This may just be my fondness for magic and magical girls, (I'd say don't judge me, but you probably already are) but there's a ton of potential and creativity involved in magical girls. The theme for each girl, the powers that they use, the team dynamic, potential Super-Teamwork-Combo attacks... I was in a magical girl game once. I'd like to do it again some time.

"Players are part of villain team":

Been there, done that. You need a good leader, and a good end goal. It all depends on the story, otherwise it's just a mission based journey.

"Zombies in a mall, but maybe they're Parasect zombies like Last of Us":

I really don't like zombies. I don't have anything to say here, I just wanted to let people know how much I don't like zombies.

"Pirates amalgam":

So... we're pirate jobbers under an eccentric pop star captain partaking in wacky hijinks? That's... unconventional. (Watch as about seven people say "Actually, there's this anime/book/video game involving wacky pirate hijinks! It's a growing industry!")

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
As someone who loves Soul Sacrifice on her Vita, I am on this like white on rice, but let's make it a little more specific.

Thousand Sons: ...

Driven by Lust: ...
If you, Malignant, Ech and whoever else is interested, wish to continue the discussion on these ideas, I encourage you to do it on some other website more suited to your needs. PokéCommunity is not it.

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Thousand Sons
Driven by Lust
The Cops Are Here said:
If you, Malignant, Ech and whoever else is interested, wish to continue the discussion on these ideas, I encourage you to do it on some other website more suited to your needs. PokéCommunity is not it.
200px-James_Weezing_EToP.png

IT'S GETTIN' HARDER AND HARDER TO BREEEATHE

Alright, so maybe I'd be less... inviting about reproductive organs being sacrificial in the case I actually start developing the RP with that premise, and of course there'd be more context that would likely prevent it from seeming inappropriately out-of-place if the idea was fleshed out more. I am glad you took some interest to one of those smaller concepts though, Songbird; even if I do end up settling with one of those two main ideas, I can always start looking into it for the future, and if I attract enough support or inspiration behind it or any of those other vaguer concepts, I'd be willing to switch gears.
I'd be interested in a re-reboot of IIS. I was in both of the other two, after all.
This is fantastic to here since I was worried a third reiteration of IIS would come across as a bit exhausting to those who'd experienced the last two. I can definitely encourage personas more; I think a greater emphasis would be placed on it if I included a "persona" section within the sign-up sheet, and even that could subvert the "personality" sections that I'm beginning to fall so out of love with ("Describe the personality that only applies to your character when they're being fake," haha).

Honestly, I liked where Corrine was heading. I don't think many characters got the opportunity to leave a lasting impression due to my ineptitude, being honest, but we live and learn.
Godzil said:
Onto discussion of other ideas! (Since apparently that's what we're doing here.)
yes plz

Oh yeah, I wouldn't take off for "mistakes" or otherwise doing something "incorrectly"; as long as a character played to an enemy's weakness, he/she would do damage. (Notice how my way of evading "they" has changed every day.) And thank you for reminding me about language, since it's easy for me to forget, and I've seen the consequences of game masters refusing to consider the prospect on other sites and coming across as unnecessarily unforgiving as a result.

LOL, Godzil, maybe your character's class' main draw can be spitting acid reflectively at enemies who make grammatical or spelling errors when they attack. Every class would have an ability of that sort, ranging from doing extra damage—he/she would likely fall into this category—or increasing maneuverability, being able to move from one part of the area to another.

In the case of the roleplays inspired by other franchises, that's totally fair. I wouldn't know what to do in regards to the Avatar one until I studied the source material more myself but the Steven U one would concern the "Gems"—a feminine alien race along the lines of magical girls who summon weapons from their titular gemstones—hopping from planet to planet in an effort to evade a larger authority from their home world, so it'd be a space exploration-type RP with a priority being to connect with the other rogues.

OOH, SOMEONE ELSE LIKES THE SOUND OF MY GANG IDEA~ Honestly, I should've kept with Venice, but I suppose I got lazy. I think a prevailing feeling of disinterest is an inevitable feeling some players will contract in a sandbox RP, especially if they can't see eye-to-eye with or adequately connect to their fellow players, the latter of which is the bane of the unsuccessful sandboxes. I think I'd go a more strategy-inspired route, actually, with how the RP would go about: every player controls the actions of their gang, whether that be through controlling its leader or, more indirectly, writing for a less important member of a faction, and they could perform a number of actions in one twenty-four hour cycle (based solely in-game, not on real time). There would be shifts in alliance and inescapable gang conflict when rivaling factions step past their boundaries. And of course there'd be magic! I probably would handle it similarly to the RP I referenced "Noble Magic" did with certain subdivisions concerning different overarching abilities.

NOO, POKEMON ZIRCON WILL WORK
WHAT DISCORD CHAT? WHAT DISCORD CHAT?

Yeah, magical girls are fun, especially when you make them super fucking edgy which is essentially what the demon element would do, lol. I would play to the elements that make shoujo magical girls fun, albeit with all the Faust connections that would inevitably tie it to Madoka, though it would be somewhat of a darker parody with the Monsters-of-the-Weeks.

"Mission-based journey," we'll see about that. Though honestly I'd probably do what Magma and Aqua didn't really outside of official art: have two rivaling organizations, the first headed by a more stoic, officious man who runs it like a stuffy cult and the latter that's a more swashbuckling thug.

You may not like zombies but do you like fat clowns with chainsaws?

ugh i know one piece exists smh i can't have fun can i
I just want to make Carrot a thing. Sometimes a good pun is all it takes to mobilize an entire roleplay.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Can we please do a Hell's Kitchen roleplay, WITH POKEMON??

It'll probably be M for the language because you know how Gordon Ramsay is. (Also who can RP a good Gordon Ramsay anyways? xD)

Ech

Years
  • Age 104
  • Seen Oct 30, 2018
but wtf are these tenses tho, keep this up and ur going on the no-join list buddy

Senpai, I am simply abashed. </3

:' )

I don't think staging a roleplay around tearing apart roleplaying would necessarily create an isolated audience though it might help if players came with RP-related preconceptions.

I was more talking about the JRPG setting, which is something I personally found impressively stock, to the point where even attempts to subvert the genre felt rather cliched. In particular, I thought you were throwing shade at the laughable prophecy trope JRPGs like to abide by for the sake of PLOT.

I'm not sure if you really care about the idea of analyzing JRPGs and why people like/hate them, and you just want to focus more on the meta aspect of eliciting discussion on the medium of RPing through collaborative writing.

This isn't "Excuse for Maligant to Feel Self-Aggrandized: The RP".

ur obviously a megalomaniac don't u lie to me now, i see what u r

Good ol' Godzil managed to clarify what I was trying to say, as due to having major attention deficiency, I most likely came to some callous assumptions on my part. But again, I rashly came to the conclusion that a person's inexperience or inability to understand the "new and different" when it comes to handling these exercises for your innovative combat system could like, IMMEDIATELY result in death or at least penalties players might not enjoy, at least how I'm interpreting myself (wtf was with my tenses, how S H A M E F U L). Honestly, I was mostly advocating for people who may find the mechanics to feel outputting and my concern was that your idea may be too intimidating for various reasons, but you've already defended yourself well and expressly shown you're not going to be relentless. Heck, acknowledging the fact English isn't everyone's native tongue (tbh, I am SHOCKED to know people who can still write well in spite of that) and it is a rather difficult language due to its inconsistency and the erratic development it made over the years.

I think the main reason why I even brought this concern up to begin with was because, honestly, I personally would want to get penalized if I made grammatical errors or indulged in malapropism during this rather unorthodox RP. Like, if I make some spelling errors, that could easily translate my actions as "clumsy" or using a redundant vocabulary uses as "easily predictable" without explicitly using the abverb in my description. I'm not too proud to deny that I make mistakes time to time (as you clearly see with my TENSES lol), since my own writing skills were never refined and as a result, I lack a lot of fundamentals the common person would normally adhere to. I suppose this is me expressing a lot of confidence in you as both a critique and writer, and I think it would be a lot of fun to make progression as a writer since, even if I don't publish my own novel, I think literature is an important form of communication and I believe the skill could still apply to... well, anything in society. But we had a discussion about criticism in private prior, and it brought up the issue of how criticism can be taken negatively, particularly when it's not asked for. I guess I just wanted to talk about that, because... well, I was merely curious where everyone truly stands on this.

But anyways, I was mostly jumping the gun there. It doesn't seem like you'll making creative use on people's errors to creatively influence the narrative, or at least making that a prominent feature; while I think it's wasted potential, it's not really a fruitless sacrifice, even for me. Not everyone is like me (thank the Lord) and I care more about what helps other in the long run than what I specifically want. Evidently, I'm just a dirty doormat that reads "Welcome".

I don't want to take a page out of Jauntier's book and have the entire universe being solely dependent on me being there to facilitate

BE OUR LITERAL GOD, DICTATE OUR EVERY ACTION EVEN BREATHING AND DEFECATING. FREE WILL IS AN ILLUSION

I guess that kinda answered a question I forgot to ask, or at least made prominent enough: how MUCH work are you putting out as GM? Though I wasn't really expecting you to have everyone make posts where "something" had to happen. That feels absurdly contrived, and I would probably perceive you in a different light.

> What if I gave scrambled directions to individual players? Planted OOC hints to influence IC behavior, but have the RP members to have to discuss amongst themselves in order to translate the cryptic suggestions first?

Do this please. OOCs should stop being a place strictly meant for apps and occasionally that one player who argues with the GM because they feel like they were allowed "creative freedom" when making a blatant Mary-Sue. wait who exactly am i throwing shade at here??

You're already being super meta by making full use of CSS and implementing them into the IC, directly influencing how we write. I see NO reason to avoid using the OOC for creative events, aside from just being lazy.

I'd be interested in a re-reboot of IIS.

This is fantastic to here since I was worried a third reiteration of IIS would come across as a bit exhausting to those who'd experienced the last two.

We need a Pokemon coordination RP.

Team Skull is Better said:
Though honestly I'd probably do what Magma and Aqua didn't really outside of official art: have two rivaling organizations, the first headed by a more stoic, officious man who runs it like a stuffy cult and the latter that's a more swashbuckling thug.

I'll be honest, I see way more application of a rival Team Villain RP than a standard Journey, if only because we're playing from a completely different profession. Like, we're the BAD GUYS. We're not ambitious ten year olds trying to become the very best, we're completely assholes who abide on completely different ethics. We would see the universe from a completely different perspective, so there's more leeway for creativity that doesn't just abide by what we saw in the show and in the games. Maybe we could elaborate on Pokemon rights that Black and White barely touched upon, maybe we could explore how law enforcement functions as our characters plan out their heist. Maybe we could even address the shenanigans of having to face the utter shame of getting constantly trumped by a random ten year old.

Mission-based in Journey becomes tedious because the rewards never truly connect. We can collect trinkets and obtain that shiny Pidgey, but these are just things that decorate our character. It's the same reason why I don't like how most Journeys handle Pokemon, as they're rarely organic to the universe and their presence just comes off as contrived for the sole sake of saying "hey guys, this is Pokemon".

Missions would be waaaay more fun in a Team Villain RP, because you could have two teams doing various tasks that ultimately helps them take over the world, or at least their accomplishments helps them seize territory to help give access to new vantage points for other players, ultimately helping the entire organization spread their tyranny across the region. It gives the incentive that everyone is truly working together and provide players this sense of connection, like everything they do actually matters and the RP isn't just an exercise for solo writing projects where nothing they do contributes to anything in the long-run. At least that shiny Pidgey looks cool.

I had an idea for a Team Villain RP, with two rival gangs. One focused on anarchy and relied on mass destruction via naturally powerful Pokemon (like Tyranitar) for terrorism, giving his men more firepower but were essentially pariahs in society, while the other practiced despotism by exploiting loopholes in the system (which parodies/deconstructs the nonsensical regulations displayed in Pokemon games) and enabled his men an easier time hiding under the radar but consequences of getting caught were more severe or had less viable solutions. The missions would have reflected this too, and they would eventually get subverted overtime but I thought this would be hell to organize as a GM who lacks experience on being a leader. This RP would have also explored the meta, using extreme practices as an analogy to unethical methods, like "hacked" Pokemon being made for maximizing efficiency and justifying some weird quirks, like why Grunts have only one to two Mons when ten year olds could fill up eight boxes. I don't know, I just feel like there's way more potential for a Team Villain RP that isn't just being an edgier Journey RP? The end goal I feel would be drastically different from a standard Journey, so everyone has more freedom to explore new ideas.

In short, I also support the Team Villain RP.

And Steven Universe. Think of how JPs could work with FUSIONS!!

And Magical Girls. Honestly, I just want to having adolescent girls kick the shit out of eldritch abominations, with allusions to Faust. GIRL POWER.

Can we please do a Hell's Kitchen roleplay, WITH POKEMON??

LET'S

MAKE

OFF THE MENU

PC'S KITCHEN NIGHTMARES

Derailing this thread to advertise Kiyo's RP. Who even cares about PKCIIS

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Can we please do a Hell's Kitchen roleplay, WITH POKEMO
It'll probably be M for the language because you know how Gordon Ramsay is. (Also who can RP a good Gordon Ramsay anyways? xD)

I was more talking about the JRPG setting, which is something I personally found impressively stock
Honestly, past the main plot hearkening to titles like Golden Sun with the prophecy fucking up and the "element" collection quest, I wouldn't see there being much focus on analyzing JRPGs on my behalf, mostly because I don't give enough of a shit. I'm more preoccupied with deconstructing the hobby of roleplaying through the RP in a more familiar, albeit tongue-in-cheek, setting. It's easier for me to anatomize topics I'm interested in, after all, though of course if players want to be more critical about that aspect, I want that to be a potentiality. I mentioned earlier I didn't want the RP to "lecture".

>megalomania
>"the Undertale of RPs"
BAD TIMES ABOUND, EVERYBODY

About the combat mechanics, I'd assume any non-customary mechanic, in-comparison to the majority of the boards, would regardless come across as intimidating so the plan would be to ease players into things. I'd figure the first mission, i.e. the initial opportunity to track down the first 'El, would revolve mainly around combat, for example.

Honestly, as much as I appreciative your thoughts as usual, Ech, my greatest priority for the interest thread at the moment is focusing the thread, as I unfortunately forgot open discussions and the grievous act of reading multiple paragraphs make a number of us squeamish so I ought to "dumb down" things a little bit.

I know that, personally, P. K. C.: The RPG and IIS are my biggest priorities since they're my most developed ideas; I'd probably want to outline general things like the mechanics, general premise, etc. to make them more accessible and, as a result, discussable. Then the vaguer concepts remain, and I'd honestly want to keep them open just as points of intrigue to incite, and you'll never guess, further discussion. Throwing around ideas.

im fucking tired ill just
post the outlines by the end of this week uggeg

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 28, 2018
"A-1"
Nigga u boo boo

Idk about IIS since I didn't read it, but a Pokemon Coordination RP is sooo fun. Using Pokemon moves to create interesting combos for style and dressing them up is so much fun and way more imaginative than standard battles. And there's so much more going on with the whole production of it, with a host and judges and more, like interacting with them and even colluding would be amazing! I think your premise is also clever.

But not at clever as P.K.C.! Actually utilizing CSS as a combat mechanic and influencing combat through styles or subjects of writing is a crazy idea that could either be a disaster are absolutely brilliant depending on how you handle it as the GM and how well you communicate these ideas with whoever signs up. Godzil already shared what concern I had with it, and you clarified, so tbh, I'm all in. The premise of it is great too. I think despite it being a satire, in a way it's encouraging, celebrating and/or being light-heartedly irreverent to things we see all the time in our amateur writing, lol. And these can be observations we can take away from it as jokes that'll win us back Pakke, yaaaa!

I want P.K.C. to happen. Addressing other ideas:

Steven Universe RP with emphasis on space exploration and cosmic horror - Yes please. I think a really cool concept would be how we'd implement fusions of characters, because tbh, that's the most interesting part of the show. Yall can fite me

A RP that combines the "mage" element of Noble Magic with gang conflict inspired by Venice in a Renaissance-era Italian Crips v. Bloods affair (YAWK YAWK YAWK YAWK!) - I don't know what Noble Magic is (literature? another rp?) but competitive rps are always a fun and interesting dynamic. Give us rollerskates and Jet Set this up right, ya feel

RP within a science-fiction-y Pokemon universe where characters unable to go on Pokemon journeys for assorted reasons turn to a virtual-reality MMO equivalent; a tongue-in-cheek light novel x Homestuck x Pokemon cluster fuck where characters play characters while also conversing outside of the game through a chat room, simulated through the OOC thread - Enough about Homestuck already Nice idea utilizing the OOC as a chat room while the video game-y action takes place .Hack style (I'm assuming) in the IC. It's like we're playing two different characters but we never shed either identity in either thread.

Avatar: The Last Airbender; no other ideas, just want to be a swamp bender - Be prepared for edgy blood benders

An RP inspired by Girlish Number and other shitty moe garbage I'm sure you Trubbish spawn are familiar with where the characters' objective, being apart of an indie animation studio, is to create their own anime; could be developing a videogame instead to be less weeb-ish - I don't see this working at all. The only drama in animation groups is who caught the stomach bug and can't finish their part of the assignment on time. Trust. Unless this is just another slice of life romance minefield thing then you're gonna have to make it work or wacky.

A magical girl roleplay where the characters make literal deals with the devil to obtain their powers which will ultimately be used to call off the rapture brought about by seven monstrous "Archangels" (name pending)
- But you gave away the twist. I'd play this.

The Vietnam War essentially re-inacted with people and Pokemon; I'm not even kidding, L.T. Surge was always right - Not interested. Anything procedural like military is a turn off for me.

Another fucking Pokemon RP except players are part of an evil organization; may be two rivaling criminal groups channeling Aqua and Magma; grunts would be more stealth-oriented than outright weaker members, or there would be various roles within each organization, each telling of a member's capabilities - Everything about being in a criminal org and rising to the top through shady ops and takeovers while trying to fend off a meddling ten year old with incredibly and inexplicably powerful Pokemon is, like, truly fantast.

Hell's Kitchen: the RP - Yes? If Kiyo fails to, avenge us of the disappointment.

RuPaul: the RP - This will fall apart worse than anything Shangela glued together, hunty.

Big Brother: the RP
- I would love a simulation of being conniving contestants trying to win a prize through gamey challenges. But you're gonna have to ditch the "trivia" contests where we have to remember who did what when, because I cant ctrl+f that in every previous page of the IC for the answer, lol

RP where player-controlled characters would have the ability to summon ferocious entities by temporarily sacrificing a specific bodily organ, and depending on the necessity of said organ, their summon will either be incredibly powerful and short-lived or lesser and lasting; will likely take place in a setting reminiscent of feudal Japan - Yes. Bring on the horror.

Pokemon RP taking place in the midst of a zombie - No. Zombie apocalypse bores me.

Good ol' pirate RP - I don't really like ship stuff. You're stuck on a ship and when a fight comes, you're manning canons for naval warfare across a few hundred feet and it lasts until a vessel goes down. Salt water rinse and repeat. If you can make it work, ok, but I'd rather a focus on world-building and visiting other lands and being visited by other inhabitants than being stuck at sea (or in the air if it's a flying ship) as has been my impression of every pirate rp I've crossed

Years
A RP that combines the "mage" element of Noble Magic with gang conflict inspired by Venice in a Renaissance-era Italian Crips v. Bloods affair (YAWK YAWK YAWK YAWK!) - I don't know what Noble Magic is (literature? another rp?) but competitive rps are always a fun and interesting dynamic. Give us rollerskates and Jet Set this up right, ya feel

Noble Magic was another RP on this site. I was in it. The gist of it was that players were all mages specializing in a particular type of magic, and we were all called to the capital city to join the king's court, but in the end only one of us would get the job. It didn't get very far.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 28, 2018
Noble Magic was another RP on this site. I was in it. The gist of it was that players were all mages specializing in a particular type of magic, and we were all called to the capital city to join the king's court, but in the end only one of us would get the job. It didn't get very far.

Oh thanks! And yikes, tragic it didn't really kick off I guess. Whatever the case may be, I imagine there can be so much expounded upon in a world like that that I'd personally love to explore and get creative with setting interaction.

Now I kinda really want a clique rp.

Cosmic Fury

[color=red][I][css-div="font-size: 12px; font-vari
Years
---> Evil Organizations... --->

You probably just named a really good reason for me to come back and roleplay here again. I would totally sign up as a bad guy and bring senseless chaos to the world once more!

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
Years
RP within a science-fiction-y Pokemon universe where characters unable to go on Pokemon journeys for assorted reasons turn to a virtual-reality MMO equivalent; a tongue-in-cheek light novel x Homestuck x Pokemon cluster fuck where characters play characters while also conversing outside of the game through a chat room, simulated through the OOC thread
This sounds so interesting! I'm sorry that the one I find fascinating isn't one of your main two, but damn I see potential here. I'm sure we could spitball about this idea if you're interested in delving into one of the more minor ones.
Your Daily Vitamins said:
Enough about Homestuck already
You can shame us, but you cannot silence us!
Spoiler:

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
i had a longer explanation written but this forum forgot i was logged in or something stupid so here we are

Does anyone want to coordinate for bringing any of these ideas into fruition? I don't care which one, I like all of them. I don't have the morale to develop one on my own, especially since I don't plan on being greatly active on PC.

Just kidding, I started something!

It might be closely-related to that Pokemon-as-an-MMO concept, actually.

Last edited:
Back