• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Current fads you can't stand?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
And why?

1. Fidget Spinners.
They are finally dying out, but man, the dumbest things catch on for the dumbest reasons. It could be a cool toy, I suppose, if it didn't originate as a literal handicapped signal. Not only is it an overhyped fad, but you'll look mentally handicapped in public with one, even if you liked them.

I got into skateboarding a year or so ago, before these dumb things, and one of my favorite things to browse was bearings for a better ride. Guess what's taken over that market now too?
Yep.

2. Funkopop figures.
The ugliest and yet most generic designs I've ever seen, printed on nearly everything. These things define low effort merchandising. Copy and paste designs and people will buy any of them that bears their favorite logo.
Why these are popular at all, let alone to this level blows my mind.

Last edited:

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
The return of the pre-torn jeans fad. Purchasing new jeans that are intentionally made to look damaged doesn't make sense to me. They look tacky, some have an excessive amount of holes including holes in questionable places, and they don't last as long as regular jeans since the fabric already has ample starting points for deterioration to begin.

Why these are popular at all, let alone to this level blows my mind.

The iconic basic figures are cheap to make, allowing Funko to cover just about every series imaginable at the signing of a paper and sell them at varying prices. The figure quality is usually lacking due to simple things such as a sloppy paint job but some of the higher quality figures are nice.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
The jeans, oh lord. I used to loathe them, then I bought a pair of my own and it was really nice to have extra ventilation at my knees 8D

TY

never really bothered with fads, im socially too behind to even bother :'D

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
Not a fad-follower myself; I'm fairly unconventional. People look at me like I am anyway, haha!

I really don't get the whole "metro" look, neither do I understand this current love of thick, grisly beards. All the guys around here are growing them!

200.gif

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
What ARE all the kids into these days? I honestly have no earthly idea what the current fads are.

Are yo-yos still popular? Or those finger skateboard things?

I remember those things - Tech Decks. When I was in elementary school the teachers confiscated them quite often. Never really got into them though.

As for current fads, I'm just as out of the loop as some in this thread are, I'm not up to date on what kids are doing now. Fidget spinners have died out, and it seems Tide Pods are no longer relevant, so that's good. Usually the stupid "challenges" that kids come up with are eye roll worthy so it's usually that crap that, once they start, I really hope they just go away. They're so pointless and 9 times out of 10 can result in injury of some kind.

Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 26, 2020
I know it makes me seem like a grumpy old man, but I really don't like most of the trends these days at all. Especially the ones just copied from bad music videos and social media culture. Like for me the whole internet has been taken over by bad content from social media T_T I know that is a bit of a spoil-sport thing to say though.

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
Years
i was really bothered by fidget spinners and fidget cubes when they first became a fad. listen, i'm autistic, and i really like fidget items because they're stimmy and keep me focused. what bothers me the most about this whole fad, is neurotypicals taking something that neurodivergent people use on a daily basis to help with their disorder, using them instead as toys thus making schools ban them when many neurodivergent kids need fidget items to help focus in class. it's just selfish and ignorant in my opinion.

other fads? i don't know. there are certain memes i don't like, but that's really it.

Resolve

I have it
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 2, 2020
I know nothing of the current fads, but I can say that the now-dead fidget spinner fad bothered me to no end.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
1. Fidget Spinners.
Fidget spinners have died out
i was really bothered by fidget spinners and fidget cubes when they first became a fad.

but I can say that the now-dead fidget spinner fad bothered me to no end.
unknown.png

I really don't get the whole "metro" look, neither do I understand this current love of thick, grisly beards. All the guys around here are growing them!

200.gif
Oh man, tell me about it! It?s downright bemusing to me, and it?s picked up big-time here as well. Is it some kind of statement for masculinity? If that?s true, aren?t there countless other ways you could also do that? Why facial hair? And why is it always thick and grisly? ????

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Almost every fad that has ever existed.

But more modern ones, I'd say social media is a fad but it seems like it's never going away unfortunately.

Fads that may still be ongoing or dead that I can't stand include:

Tide pods, fidget spinners, unironic dabbing, hot new games/movie/tv show hype fad, popular anime fad, superhero movie fad, kids snorting gods know what up their noses, ALS bucket challenge, harlem shake, gangnam style,

Some of these are long dead thankfully.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Is hype for popular (or overrated) new things really a fad, though?

That's just human behavior to me. A fad is something that comes and goes inexplicably with extreme, but short-lived, popularity, with no real purpose. Pogs, Fidget Spinners, etc.

Media hype is grating, I'll agree; but it's not a fad to me.

Last edited:

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
But more modern ones, I'd say social media is a fad but it seems like it's never going away unfortunately.

Tide pods, fidget spinners, unironic dabbing, hot new games/movie/tv show hype fad, popular anime fad, superhero movie fad, kids snorting gods know what up their noses, ALS bucket challenge, harlem shake, gangnam style,

I have to say I agree with social media, popular anime, and superhero movies. I just never got into them myself. Also, Gangnam Style was painful while it lasted. xD

And don't get me started on "swag" fashion, where people dress like gangsters and wear their crotch at knee level. *shivers*

Back