• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Steins;Gate Watch/Re-Watch: March 21st is Episode 2 Discussion

Years
Basic thread for such short notice as we've only got 24 days before Steins;Gate 0 airs.

Basically, what this is going to be is a series of threads to discuss an episode of Steins;Gate per day. There will be no streaming of it, at least on my part.

Legal source links will come in future threads, but use www.because.moe to find a legal source if you're in an English speaking country in the meantime (if you're in USA, it should be on Funimation's YouTube channel either in full or in part for both languages).

Anyway, commence episode 1 watching and discussion!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
So I've watched this show around 5 times and I only discovered it in 2016. It's one of my all-time favorites and you guys should really give this a go.

Anyways - holy crap this first episode was confusing to me. So many small details that felt like they didn't make sense, but this is a phenomenal opening I think.

pkmin3033

That site you linked has immediately rubbed me the wrong way by having Madoka as its default search parameters

I don't mind streaming on rabb.it if we can work out a mutually beneficial time. Sub or dub? Or both, even? That could be interesting.

I was thoroughly put off by the first episode of the show the first time I saw it, and it was only through repeated badgering that I persevered with it. I am very glad I did, but even so, it isn't the strongest of starts.

Last edited:
Years
Minute by minute commentary of episode 1:

Spoiler:

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
ok gonna try and catch up with you guys

is sub or dub better

EDIT: I think this may affect my brain for the worse maybe

EDIT2: ep1 thoughts:
Spoiler:

EDIT3: ep2 thoughts:
Spoiler:

probably gonna binge this now rip exams

Last edited:
Years
ok gonna try and catch up with you guys

is sub or dub better

EDIT: I think this may affect my brain for the worse maybe

EDIT2: ep1 thoughts:
Spoiler:

EDIT3: ep2 thoughts:
Spoiler:

probably gonna binge this now rip exams

pace yourself, man. Supposed to be an episode a day pace to end just in time for the new Steins;Gate 0 season start on April 12th in Japan.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
Everyone always tries to pace themselves when watching this show and then they get to a particular scene at roughly the halfway point and binge the rest of the show in the same sitting.

Happens every time

ALSO MAKISE KURISU BEST GIRL

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
yeah sorry d00ds i'm done already

kill me

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I'm definitely interested in checking out the original based on what I've seen, but I'm worried now there's a follow up or prequel, etc.

Always a bad sign when something looks self contained at first glance.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
I'm definitely interested in checking out the original based on what I've seen, but I'm worried now there's a, follow up or prequel, etc.

Always a bad sign when something looks self contained at first glance.

The original is 100% self contained. You will not have to watch Steins;Gate 0 to get the whole story.
Steins;Gate 0 isn't a follow-up or a prequel, though I can't really answer what it is without spoiling a big part of the original. It has to be watched after you finish the original, though.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
The original is 100% self contained. You will not have to watch Steins;Gate 0 to get the whole story.
Steins;Gate 0 isn't a follow-up or a prequel, though I can't really answer what it is without spoiling a big part of the original. It has to be watched after you finish the original, though.

So essentially then, it's pointless?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Nope! I just can't explain what purpose it serves, or say what it properly is without spoiling things. It's completely canon and is exceptional so far.

Yeah but me personally, I have problems with a lot of add-on series to completed things. It has worked before, sure, but is rare.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
Yeah but me personally, I have problems with a lot of add-on series to completed things. It has worked before, sure, but is rare.
I can totally sympathize with that. You can always just watch the original and see how you feel. At least by watching the original, you'll have watched what most would agree is one of the greatest anime of all time, as well as you'd understand why S;G0 even exists.

I will concede though that from outsider perspective, it's hard to imagine how Steins;Gate 0 can even exist if it doesn't take place before, after, or during the events Steins;Gate, as well as somehow also not being a spin-off. It works really well though and makes total sense in the narrative. Hard to say any more!

Back