• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pixel Evo Challenge (Finished!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
PIXEL EVO CHALLENGE

Objective

Create a 80 x 80 pixel artwork of a new evolution design of a prexisting pokemon. The goal of this challenge is to riff off of known pokemon to create a new design with your own twist! You don't have to adhere to the normal evolution logic of the existing games at all. Create a split evo for a split evo, an evo of an eeveelution, or a 4th evo, it doesn't matter. Same goes for mega!

Judging

I will be judging entries based on both artistic skill, as well as creativity of the design or problem solving of the designs. Sprite edits are allowed! Just mark them as such.

In addition, there will be special honorable mention categories! The categories being...

House Evolution Category is making an evolution somewhere in our House Mascot's line. These being Ampheros, Arcanine, Espeon, and Hawlucha. It doesn't have to be your own house, you can which ever.

Sprite Edit Category is to give a chance for edits to shine, as there are still some very masterful things you can do with edits!

??? Category is a mystery!! You're not going to get to know what it is till it happens. : ) Think of it as the mario bonus stars.

Points are distributed as such
1st / 2nd / 3rd / HM / HM / HM
120 / 80 / 50 / 20 / 20 / 20

Rules

1. Use only your own artwork, created for this contest.
  2. Enter by submitting one 80x80 .png in a post here by the 28th. Edit your original post if you wish to update before the deadline.
  3. There is no numbered color restrictions, but try and keep it within HGSS style.
  4. All Pokecommunity Rules Apply

Good luck!

QimBMZn.png

-From Crappy Mega Budew Example

Last edited:

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Spoiler:

I'll put this here for now, I will edit later in case I decide to actually do something.

Last edited:

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
664ba494c6.png

I chose to make a new evolution for Crabrawler, because [rant]
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 12, 2018
664ba494c6.png

I chose to make a new evolution for Crabrawler, because [rant]
Spoiler:

Good point. We have an abominable snow , so it's weird GF went with Cr"abominable". Snowy Tree Yeti and Snow Crab Yeti. It almost feels like GF was like, "oh yeah we need an ice pokemon" [other than A-Vulpix].

Nice job by way!! I really like the pointed ribbed body details and shoulder spike joints.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 12, 2018
picture.php

New evolution of Magnemite: Magnevice. Magnemite evolves to be able to interact with its environment better.

Cute! It can now lock someone into a hug with its magnetize appendages. Also, great spriting, angle, and pose.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 12, 2018
Phareon

Phareon evolves from Espeon via fainting while at max happiness.

Moreover, if Phareon faints in battle, it devolves back into Espeon, since it must maintain max happiness in order to stay this form.

Type: Psychic/Ghost
Origin: Based on Egyptian deities being resurrected through Pharoah's.
Stats: 50/50/50/150/150/150
Ability: Shadow Tag

yMmz40L.png

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
Mega Espeon
OZM3rxe.png

Mega Espeon Mega Evolves from Espeon with an Espeonite. Now I obviously Frankensteined Ninetails's tails (P.S. It has 10 tails not 9) and edited them. Each tail is colored after one of Eevee's evolutions which resulted in an interesting look, and because Espeon has mega evolved the gem in its head has multiplied to increase its psychic power. I probably could have done a bit more but I think it is good enough to submit.

Type: Psychic
Origin: It's not based on anything.
Stats: 65/65/100/150/115/130
Ability: Magic Guard

KNS27

I got... Lonely Doggo?
Years
QEnRpSw.png

Arcanine X-C
One Of the Failed Prototype by Aether Foundation.There's nothing different with Original Arcanine except they are wilder, Powerful, Uncontrolled, Violent, and The Mask at their heads.Arcanine X-C really hates those mask, which sadly if you removed those Mask they will die.It's hard to train Arcanine X-C since Arcanine X-C does not obey to any command.Oftentimes, Arcanine X-C attack and Killed their own Trainer.Only Trainer with Special Bond Ability who can befriend with Arcanine X-C.

Arcanine will evolve to Arcanine X-C at level 30, have Happiness 0, and leveled up at Inside Building

X-C stand for Xtreme - Chimera

Type: Fire/Stell
Origin: Based on Chimera
Stats:
HP: 90
Attack: 130
Defense: 70
Spe Attack: 120
Spe Defense: 70
Speed: 120
Ability: Mold Breaker

Last edited:

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
Growlithe Split-evo:
w6c0ta6.png

Type: Fire/Ghost
Basically, Growlithe and Arcanine are loosely based off of the Shisha/Komainu; guardian dogs who ward off evil spirits. I thought to myself, what if a Growlithe were to fail its job and got possessed by a spirit instead of successfully warding off the spirit? This evolution has some traits from an Oni (horns and long teeth), as well keeping its Komainu/Shisha traits.

Years
RESULTS

Foreword

I'm glad so many of you guys entered! I know creating art suddenly takes time and a lot of thought, so well done all of you for creating these works! First, I will do what we've all been waiting for, and announce the results! After that, I have thoughts and critique for each image. I collected all the images and did their critiques before I made my decisions, just to pull back the curtain a bit. I started writing about them in order, but then started separating the back to back growlithe evos. I hope you all find it helpful!

Results!

First Place for 120 points goes to....
Sunfished's Crawbraler Alternate Evolution!
664ba494c6.png

120 points to Vestigo House

The top two were both amazing for various reasons, but that emotive face won me over!​

Second Place for 80 points goes to...
Fenneking's Phareon!
yMmz40L.png

80 points to Doctrina House

Beautiful and creative! You always have an amazing style.​

Third Place for 50 points goes to...
Esper's Magnevice!
picture.php

50 points to Doctrina House

A simple concept executed very well!​

Honorable Mentions

House Evolution Category for 20 points goes to...
Fafrir's Growlithe Split-evo!
w6c0ta6.png

20 points goes to Gloria House

Sprite Edit Category for 20 points goes to...
KNS27's Arcanine X-C!
QEnRpSw.png

20 points to Consortia House

??? Category evolves to.... Humor Category! for 20 points goes to...
5qwerty's entry, Manpharos!
8bFR04C.png

20 points to Gloria House

Thoughts

Manpharos by 5qwerty
8bFR04C.png
A decent sprite edit. The concept is amusing even if not that complex. The connections from ampharos's head to the body as well as the tail is believable, though the neck could have been made thinner. It doesn't fit thematically into the evolution line, but this is fine as it's just a very amusing entry!

Hawlucha Baby by Lemonsky
CcbaOok.png
A technical issue- the size of the sprite. It is correct in that it meets the 80x80 limits, however because it takes up the entire canvas, it appears to be rather large. Since this is a baby pokemon, and its evolution hawlucha isn't a very sizable pokemon itself, the scale is making it hard to imagine. Ignoring this however, the sprite work itself is well executed. Your shapes blend well into each other and the body feel believable. I wish the beak was a little bit more distinct from the feathers, texture or shape wise. I also wish that more inspiration was drawn from Hawlucha beside it's colors. The shape of it's eye 'mask' and other parts could have made it into it's pre evolution. While the theme of the evolutions do not have to be the same, it should at least replace it with some else creative. Solid original work, could have used a bit more inspirations.

Crabrawler Alternate Evolution by Sunfished
664ba494c6.png
This is a charming design! Immediately, this looks like a proper evolution to crabrawler than it's previous evolution. It maintains that attitude and style of it's inspiration with it's flexing position and wide smile. There are enough changes to consider it a proper evolution as well, it's 'whiskers' becoming a mustache to compliment it's extended hairdo, with much longer forearms to match it's status as a brawler. Your pixel work on it's face in particular is stellar, with other details on it's chest and else where carrying your fine line. The only I issue I have technically is with the arms themselves. The arms are very "balloon" like, in that that all portions are around the same girth. I can tell that some of these issues stem from the size limitations, however I still would have chosen to have the pincers be the largest appendage as Crawbraler and Crabominable both have. (what with being a crabs and all) Perhaps a different pose could have helped this, with this evo crouching and turned so you can go into detail of one arm proportion. Very nice sprite work, very nice creative idea, both executed very well.

Mega Espeon by Leòmhann teine
OZM3rxe.png
There are a lot of creative ideas going on here, and I admire that! However, there's a bit too much going on visually and it's not successful. I think for the psychic enhanced jewels, it would have been better for them to be in a floating circle like the top three. It seems odd that one specific eeveelution would have the tails of them all, and it makes the pallet hard to blend together into a cohesive and nice looking combination. There are no technical errors, but it could use a bit more focus on the concept.

Arcanine X-C by KNS27
QEnRpSw.png
What a sad origin, but it is a good inspiration for alternative evolution concepts. The extended and wilder mane, with that dark steel mask are the kind of details that sells the ideas. Choosing to darken the reds, being blood red with an aggressive orange is a great choice as well. While only a sprite edit, I wish that it's actual body shape was slightly different, maybe more malnourished, as well as chains or other accents that carry the steel mask material. The shading on the mask doesn't do service to it's shape or material, try studying the shine on armor. As well, the larger tufts of added fur spikes do not quite match the other fur rendering. Needs work on texture/material shapes in your pixel work, but a very creative and well idealized concept.

Magnevice by Esper
picture.php
A good alternate concept! Instead of adding two balls of uselessness to itself, it instead adapts independently to be able to manipulate the world better. There's a bit of a technically issues in that the magnet wrapping around it's head isn't in the correct perspective/isn't wide enough to properly attach to the red side. The appendages on Magenevice carrying a wire and red/blue theme is a great idea and well executed, but I wish it would come out of the previous screw locations on Magnemite as that area seems bare now. They seem almost like feet in their current position. A simple but creative concept executed very well.

Mega Arcanite by countryemo
Mb1vU1B.png
A darker arcanine, with red and black theme, being a 'darker' mega is a decent concept. Your addition of umbreon's ears and skutank's tail are both shapes that can fit well within your concept, but they needed to have been integrated in your color pallet. The The blue-black of their additions don't fit or accent with the warm colors in the main body. Try turning the navy colors into the red/orange and the tan into the black colors. A decent concept, needs some color work but your positioning on the additions is fine.

Phareon by Fenneking
yMmz40L.png
I might be biased as I already have a particular fondness for your style, but let's prove it in writing! The 'resurrection' origin with Egyptian themes is a great inspiration that is well realized. The gold bracelets, anhk-like tail, and necklaces work well with espeon's red jewels spread across them. The inner ears almost look like eyes, with the flowery wings giving a very mystical look that fits well as an extension of psychic types and resurrection theme. The only design choices that bother me is the "flatness' of the back body that makes the top of the legs look very fat/almost added on like a robot. In addition, I feel as though the white covering the face in addition to it's round head doesn't related enough to espeon, and could almost look like a different pokemon. While theses changed happen a lot in normal evolutions, the fact that it's not a permanent evolution I think it should look a bit more like espeon. A fantastic concept, executed in a great style that that lends itself to the inspirations.

Growlithe Split-evo by Fafrir
w6c0ta6.png
This is the third 'dark arcanine', but this is the most creative inspiration given to one. Acknowledging it's original roots and using a related myth is a good call, and came out with a good look! The dark circle around it's eyes, scruffy eyebrows and fur, being less muscular, all lend to it's evil spirit. There are slight issues in that its abdomen isn't well defined, leading to the legs looking incorrectly placed and proportioned. As well, the tuft curving up looks off in contrast to the tail fluff that looks to be coming out of the previous tuft. It should be moved slightly lower to appear as if it is properly coming out of it's behind. A great concept and well done execution!

That's it!

Thank you guys!

Last edited:

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
Mega Arcanite by countryemo
Mb1vU1B.png
A darker arcanine, with red and black theme, being a 'darker' mega is a decent concept. Your addition of umbreon's ears and skutank's tail are both shapes that can fit well within your concept, but they needed to have been integrated in your color pallet. The The blue-black of their additions don't fit or accent with the warm colors in the main body. Try turning the navy colors into the red/orange and the tan into the black colors. A decent concept, needs some color work but your positioning on the additions is fine.

Thank you! They are actually Gibble's ears/head things. I thought I did change the colors well enough, but I guess not. It was probably the outlines you were talking about? I always forget about those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back