The PokéCommunity Forums Create & Discover Fan Fiction and Writing Writer's Lounge
Relationships in and with Pokemon

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Old August 20th, 2017 (10:11 PM).

Nature: Naive
I think I'd need to make some form of PMD explanation if I'd have humans and pokémon be romantic towards each other. Meaning, the pokémon would actually be a human to begin with and would end up as one in the end too or something like that. But it would depend on the setting, of course. If you are writing some deep intricate story in a world where humans and pokémon share an evolved society, maybe even both species speak the same language, it wouldn't be any different from writing Mass Effect or Star Trek fiction or something where members of different species fall in love. But if you would set your fic in the anime or strict game universe, it would be more like falling in romantic love with an animal, and that's not really working for me.

Generally when I write RP stories, I have my pokémon be pretty intelligent to the point that they can be good trusted friends with their trainer or other humans, and they can even have their own agendas and dreams to follow that make them take certain actions or make some decisions. I think I think of it as closer and more well communicated friendships than a human and a dog would have, for example, but not quite like between two human beings.

Quick Reply