• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What was your first job?

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
And how bad were you at it? I was a bus boy that used to eat fries off the plates I ran from the kitchen to the wait staff.

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
My first job was at Universal Studios and I was working behind the scenes moving animatronics. Only problem I had was an animatronic stopped working for the day when I was in the middle of using it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I guess my first job was selling knives. But I don't really consider that as my first job rather the current job I'm at is actually my first job wow what a life I've led so far. Been at my current job for almost four years now but hey at least I've went from crew member to store manager that's an accomplishment ig.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Coding coach at theCoderSchool. There to help kids learn how to code, for hour-long classes that were slotted for a few hours a day, a few days a week. I did fine at the job, since the students and the parents all really liked having me as their coach. Never got any complaints from them at all.

I was fired from the job in late November, after a few months of working there, essentially because my interim 'boss' Maria decided I wasn't doing well and made that the narrative for the actual boss and owner. Her official reasons were to do with performance and distractions, which baffled me because things were working with my students and we had plans and were executing them! It was incredibly nitpicky, and I think she made that clear by looking for opportunities to call me out as distracted. She decided I was worth firing and set out to look for reasons to justify that decision.

I was pretty aghast at what she was doing, but my husband (fiancé at the time) convinced me to write an email to the owner explaining my side of what's going on. I was due to go into work the next morning, but since I had a panic attack that hospitalised me the day before I called off of that and penned the message for him, apologising for my mistakes and doing well to show what I've been seeing happen in general.

He invited me in for a meeting at the other location (where Maria doesn't work) the following week, and said he talked at length with his brother and partner - who was overseas at the time on holiday - and said that they understand the situation a lot better. He apologised for not making it clearer that Maria was in charge, and decided to terminate employment because he doesn't have the space to keep me working at the other location. He put his money where his mouth was and gave me my last pay stub, with another two weeks of severance pay added in a check, and that was that.

As for why Maria decided she didn't want me around? My family and I think it has to do with her perception of me since she learned of my Autism. I never officially told anybody, but her awareness caused her to look at me as less of an adult that's capable of working and more of a child that isn't done maturing. It's infantilisation, and textbook workplace discrimination at play, and if there's anything personal behind why I love equal opportunity employment and loathe 'diversity and inclusion', this is why. It doesn't work.

Years
intern at a financial planning office at age 17 or so making minimum wage
didn't do much besides check e-mails, print, and file, but it was a nice experience and i wasn't bad or anything since it was so easy. even if i chose to walk 40 minutes to the job instead of take the bus because of how shy i used to be

Years
First job was testing video games for AAA companies like EA and Ubisoft through a third party contractor. Sounded like a much cooler job to 19 year old me than it really was, but I ended up hating video games for the longest time because of it. Still, it was cool to work on games that sometimes the public didn't even know were happening.

Years
My first "job" for want of a better word was freelance tutoring. I was good at it thankfully but I only had the one student so made just slightly more than no money ever.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Technically my first job was shoveling snow for the university I was going to at the time. Was something my mother pressured me into doing iirc.

I worked one day at that job lol. After the first few times they called me and were like "hey can you get here by 4 in the morning to shovel?" and I said I wouldn't be able to they stopped calling me. Which was fine, fuck waking up that early to go out into frozen hell and shovel. Didn't help that it was a roughly hour-long train ride for me to get there either.

Really, in retrospect, idk why my mother thought it was a good idea. I probably shouldn't have bothered with that job.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I picked flowers for 7 years, and I was real good at it. Turn your mind off, turn your hands green, and go. Got 'promoted' to supervisor of a team during the weekends, for the last two years.

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
Man I wanted to hear some more funny or embarrassing stories from your first jobs.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
at the age of idk 18 probably, I was one of those annoying people who call you up randomly on sunday evenings and try to sell you shady stuff and claim to need your personal security number for it.

i did it to afford owning my car, but sometimes i cried in the evenings when i got home because it was so emotionally exhausting and i felt like a truly awful human being. the boss was also shifty af, the whole business really was just pure shit.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Man I wanted to hear some more funny or embarrassing stories from your first jobs.

I gotcha.

My first job was working the third shift (overnight) at a Target. Basically we would unload the trucks for a few hours and spend the rest of the night putting things on shelves. We had to load the stock out to areas based on codes, then we'd need to do an inventory of what needs replacing on the shelves, get the stuff from the boxes, stock it, then move on. Anywho, this was surprisingly difficult at first because you needed to get a grasp of all the codes and where they were on the store floor, but you'd get it after a while.

Anywho, one night I was moving chemicals and stuff, poisons and junk as well. Was building a display and I overextended myself, causing the display to fall on me as well as a strong does of bug spray to get into my eyes. Boss came rushing over, got me to a wash station to clean my eye out (would be red for the next day or so) and then I had to go back to work to clean up the display.

There was also the time I was learning how to use the industrial trash compactor. These things suck. You put boxes in them, then you slide your way into the back of the machine to wrap some wire through some holes so when you eject this block of compressed cardboard about 500 pounds heavy, it slides out fairly easily and in one uniform mass. I didn't quite know how to do that, so when I went to eject the compacted trash, the machine jammed and the gate that lowers to allow the giant block of cardboard to slide out also got stuck and everything had to come to a halt for a good two hours as we pried the block of trash out. I will never forget my boss looking at me in disbelief and saying, "I have never seen anyone do such a bad job with this machine".

GOOD TIMES.

Last edited:

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
at the age of idk 18 probably, I was one of those annoying people who call you up randomly on sunday evenings and try to sell you shady stuff and claim to need your personal security number for it.

i did it to afford owning my car, but sometimes i cried in the evenings when i got home because it was so emotionally exhausting and i felt like a truly awful human being. the boss was also shifty af, the whole business really was just pure shit.

Man that's a shitty job. How long did you do that for? At least you had a good reason to do it, and realized it was a job you needed to leave ASAP.

I gotcha.

My first job was working the third shift (overnight) at a Target. Basically we would unload the trucks for a few hours and spend the rest of the night putting things on shelves. We had to load the stock out to areas based on codes, then we'd need to do an inventory of what needs replacing on the shelves, get the stuff from the boxes, stock it, then move on. Anywho, this was surprisingly difficult at first because you needed to get a grasp of all the codes and where they were on the store floor, but you'd get it after a while.

Anywho, one night I was moving chemicals and stuff, poisons and junk as well. Was building a display and I overextended myself, causing the display to fall on me as well as a strong does of bug spray to get into my eyes. Boss came rushing over, got me to a wash station to clean my eye out (would be red for the next day or so) and then I had to go back to work to clean up the display.

There was also the time I was learning how to use the industrial trash compactor. These things suck. You put boxes in them, then you slide your way into the back of the machine to wrap some wire through some holes so when you eject this block of compressed cardboard about 500 pounds heavy, it slides out fairly easily and in one uniform mass. I didn't quite know how to do that, so when I went to eject the compacted trash, the machine jammed and the gate that lowers to allow the giant block of cardboard to slide out also got stuck and everything had to come to a halt for a good two hours as we pried the block of trash out. I will never forget my boss looking at me in disbelief and saying, "I have never seen anyone do such a bad job with this machine".

GOOD TIMES.

omg the poisons part is awful. How do they even let unqualified people handle that stuff, seems like a very dumb decision. The trash compactor story is hilarious tho lol

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Yeah... I did it for about half a year, after that there was only like 2 months left to me graduating high school so I decided to try and survive on what little I had been able to save up.

Mariposa

Banned
Years
My first job is also my current job working as a nursing assistant at a nursing home. Given that I've had a perfect evaluation multiple times and everyone there seems to love me it's safe to assume that I'm one of the worst aids there that hasn't been fired yet.

Years
Retail in the home goods section: folding towels and putting them on shelves, trying to make old ladies' checks scan properly, calling for security when someone shoplifted. Typical retail, but at least I didn't have to clean the fitting rooms where people left all kinds of bodily secretions.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I worked as a cashier at a theme park (Six Flags) gift shop. It was horrible, but I got free passes to the park so that was cool.

Years
It was in the art department of my college. I was 18 and my position was director's assistant. I was okay at it initially, it was sorta fun. I might make a spread sheet, edit a syllabus, design a flyer. Other art teachers might pop in with odds and ends for me to do, make a photo copy of a document, get them some art supplies.

I was pretty good at it I suppose, I kept a friendly attitude and completed everything I was asked to do. But I may have been too good at it because the director, a very nice lady, started giving me more advanced work than everyone else, filing inventory in another building. It was a task that left me with absolutely no supervision, so I might come in late sometimes or literally do nothing up there but twiddle my thumbs and nobody would know the difference. I was in school full-time, taking some extra classes at another university + commuting between states to get home so I was honestly tired sometimes, and since I was given so much freedom work became the place where I could rest.

My earnings were going to be capped at 3,000 dollars a year no matter how much I worked because it was a work study program, so my incentive was a little lacking since I was making less than minimum wage, and was not even able to keep a penny of that. Every dime was applied to my tuition. There was no getting ahead so I took it less seriously as time went on.

Last edited:
Back