The PokéCommunity Forums General Pokémon Discussions Pokémon Trading Card Game
"What is this? Is it fake? How much is it worth?" Thread

Pokémon Trading Card Game The forum for the Pokémon TCG and Pokemon TCG Online. Post your deck to get rated, rate other decks, ask questions, talk about strategy, etc.

Old November 5th, 2017 (8:04 AM).
TCGO: donavannj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRageofKage View Post
I live in the US. I snagged the cards from my theatre back in the winter of 99.
Which chain? Or was it a local? Trying to figure out terms to look up the cards by.

Relevant Advertising!

Old November 5th, 2017 (4:52 PM).
    TCGO:

I was working for Regal Cinemas. They sent the one set of those cards. They were supposed to be a prize or giveaway promotion thing. That's all I can remember. We never did the promo, mostly because our General Manager took all the money from the safe and bought a minivan. He resigned the next day. Anyway, yeah it was from the first movie and I have never seen any other cards like them ever. I've been looking for almost 20 years, to me, these are the Sasquatch of Pokemon cards.
    Old November 5th, 2017 (8:50 PM).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheRageofKage View Post
    I was working for Regal Cinemas. They sent the one set of those cards. They were supposed to be a prize or giveaway promotion thing. That's all I can remember. We never did the promo, mostly because our General Manager took all the money from the safe and bought a minivan. He resigned the next day. Anyway, yeah it was from the first movie and I have never seen any other cards like them ever. I've been looking for almost 20 years, to me, these are the Sasquatch of Pokemon cards.
    Can't find a damn thing on them anywhere, as search results are currently being crowded out by limited showings for the new Pokemon! I Choose You movie.
    Old November 17th, 2017 (7:36 PM).
      TCGO:

I have a Pokémon card from 2002, the card is a meowth with a firework pattern in the background
      Old November 17th, 2017 (10:13 PM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by jarndt287 View Post
      I have a Pokémon card from 2002, the card is a meowth with a firework pattern in the background
      Hi! Welcome to PokeCommunity. I've merged your thread into the appropriate thread for these questions.

However, I am going to need more details than "Card from 2002, Meowth, with a firework pattern in the background". That tells me very little. Are there any symbols on the card itself? Like a medal?
      Old November 19th, 2017 (12:55 AM).
        TCGO:

Hi all. So I was going through my Pokémon collection from when I was a kid and I stumbled upon these white stat cards. Now I've looked up and searched everything I can think on Google in an attempt to identify these cards with no luck. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks in advance!
        Old November 19th, 2017 (9:19 AM). Edited November 19th, 2017 by khooper802.
          TCGO:

So I have a 2005 Deoxys 16/107 Card that looks to be part of a set that had the name ""EX Deoxys" on the pictures of everything. The only problem is I can't find the card ANYWHERE on the internet to sell it. Please help. I have the pictures of the one that I have. The one I have, has a small "EX" before a bigger "Deoxys" in all caps on the picture of Deoxys itself.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1A3r96UqRQuqOSOpmuZ9c-t4h6omrNWvI
          Old November 19th, 2017 (8:42 PM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by IceboundPirate View Post
          Hi all. So I was going through my Pokémon collection from when I was a kid and I stumbled upon these white stat cards. Now I've looked up and searched everything I can think on Google in an attempt to identify these cards with no luck. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks in advance!
          Hi, welcome to PokeCommunity! I've moved your post to the appropriate thread for these types of questions.

I have legit never seen those before? Do you remember getting them from anywhere special? Or does anyone you know remember getting them from anywhere special?

Quote:
          Originally Posted by khooper802 View Post
          So I have a 2005 Deoxys 16/107 Card that looks to be part of a set that had the name ""EX Deoxys" on the pictures of everything. The only problem is I can't find the card ANYWHERE on the internet to sell it. Please help. I have the pictures of the one that I have. The one I have, has a small "EX" before a bigger "Deoxys" in all caps on the picture of Deoxys itself.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1A3r96UqRQuqOSOpmuZ9c-t4h6omrNWvI
          Hi, welcome to PokeCommunity! I've moved your post to the appropriate thread for these types of questions.

Basically, what you have there is an alternate holo Deoxys from EX Deoxys. Alternate holos from the era the EX Deoxys set is from had a the card art background holo and then put the set logo from the outside of the packs in the bottom right corner of the card art box. Worth about the same as the non-Alternate holo version, really.
          Old November 20th, 2017 (12:58 AM).
            TCGO:

Quote:
            Originally Posted by donavannj View Post

I have legit never seen those before? Do you remember getting them from anywhere special? Or does anyone you know remember getting them from anywhere special?
            Thanks Donavannj! Sorry I didn't realize there was a thread for this. But I had gotten this binder from a garage sale from when I was little. It appears to me that they go along with one of the first gen pokemon games considering that on the back of the cards it shows where to find them on the map. But other than that I have no clue. I've looked up any terms I can relate to the card and have come up with nothing so far.
            Old November 20th, 2017 (7:30 AM).
              TCGO:

I have here a first edition holo 8/102 Machamp. I was wondering what the value is due to the misprint that can be seen just under the resistance. It's noticeably a misprint because the error appears under the letter "r". Also, the coloring is the same exact texture as the card, and matches the yellow trim of the card. Please let me know what you think!
              Attached Images
              File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg‎ (67.4 KB, 6 views) (Save to Dropbox)
              Old November 20th, 2017 (9:44 PM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by IceboundPirate View Post
              Thanks Donavannj! Sorry I didn't realize there was a thread for this. But I had gotten this binder from a garage sale from when I was little. It appears to me that they go along with one of the first gen pokemon games considering that on the back of the cards it shows where to find them on the map. But other than that I have no clue. I've looked up any terms I can relate to the card and have come up with nothing so far.
              The thing is, I got all 3 first gen games back in the day and none of my cartridges came with anything like that. They do look like the stat charts that the game manuals came with except the ones in the game manuals were on a tan page rather than in card form.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by PokeJD1 View Post
              I have here a first edition holo 8/102 Machamp. I was wondering what the value is due to the misprint that can be seen just under the resistance. It's noticeably a misprint because the error appears under the letter "r". Also, the coloring is the same exact texture as the card, and matches the yellow trim of the card. Please let me know what you think!
              Hi, welcome to PokeCommunity. I've moved your post to the appropriate thread for these types of questions.

The value is actually less than the normal version because that factory defect looks very much like a paint spill or a water spill stain on the card, unless you get very lucky with your buyer. That particular version of Machamp (the shadowed Base Set Machamp) is worth about $5 normally, so yours would be worth $3 to $4 to most people.
              Old November 22nd, 2017 (10:41 PM).
                TCGO:

So I have a 2005 Deoxys that I can't find anywhere on the internet. All I find is the same card without the name and its not a silver rare star like this. If you could help me identify it that would be great thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A3r96UqRQuqOSOpmuZ9c-t4h6omrNWvI/view?usp=sharing
                Old November 22nd, 2017 (10:54 PM). Edited November 22nd, 2017 by donavannj.

Quote:
                Originally Posted by khooper802 View Post
                So I have a 2005 Deoxys that I can't find anywhere on the internet. All I find is the same card without the name and its not a silver rare star like this. If you could help me identify it that would be great thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A3r96UqRQuqOSOpmuZ9c-t4h6omrNWvI/view?usp=sharing
                I, uh, actually answered your question for this on the last page of this thread after moving your posts into this thread (specifically, this post: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9797096&postcount=222) .

I'll repeat what I basically said in that post, though: It's an alternate/reverse holo version of the Deoxys you keep finding on the internet. Sets released around the time of EX Deoxys had their "reverse" holos as an alternate holo pattern like in the picture. Your best bet for searching is using "reverse holo EX Deoxys 16/107". It's the reverse holo of one of 3 Deoxys cards from EX Deoxys .
                Old November 26th, 2017 (1:46 PM).
                  TCGO:

Hey I’m willing to buy the 1st Edition Holo charizard! How much do you want for it?
                  Old November 26th, 2017 (7:30 PM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by ThePokeUnion View Post
                  Hey I’m willing to buy the 1st Edition Holo charizard! How much do you want for it?
                  Buying and selling is not permitted on PokeCommunity, sorry!
                  Old December 1st, 2017 (10:15 AM).
                    TCGO:

Yes. Absolutely.
                    Old December 3rd, 2017 (6:25 PM).
                      TCGO:

Hey, I'm just curious about this card I have with a misprint on it.

Altaria 12/106 from the Great Encounters set

My card says "Evolves from Loudred", when clearly it should say "Swablu". I was just curious if this might be worth anything. I can't seem to find documentation of this misprint anywhere online!

Thank you!
                      Old December 3rd, 2017 (7:37 PM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by chloeb8769 View Post
                      Hey, I'm just curious about this card I have with a misprint on it.

Altaria 12/106 from the Great Encounters set

My card says "Evolves from Loudred", when clearly it should say "Swablu". I was just curious if this might be worth anything. I can't seem to find documentation of this misprint anywhere online!

Thank you!
                      Sounds like a fake/counterfeit, based on the "Evolves from Loudred" bit on it. Especially because you can't find anything about it online. An error that big on an officially released card would have been noticed and logged by now.

Do you have pictures you could upload as attachments of it?
                      Old December 4th, 2017 (7:46 AM). Edited December 4th, 2017 by CosmoeomJ.
                      CosmoeomJ
                        TCGO:

Nature: Sassy
                        Pm when there for sale and where you listed them by the way that charizard sold on eBay for $900 I'm interested in venusaur blastoise machamp and raichu zapdos pikachu yellow cheeks pikachu red cheeks
                        Old December 11th, 2017 (5:36 PM).
                          TCGO:

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry I havent gotten to mess with them lately. Been busy. Looks like I'll send in a foil or two and see what they get graded at so I can compare them to the others and get a good guess what the remaining ones would grade as well.

I'll keep it updated here. Will be interesting to see what happens.
                          Old December 12th, 2017 (8:21 AM).
                            TCGO:

How much is a Gem Mint Shining Genesect 9/73 worth? It's in perfect condition, PSA graded
                            Old December 14th, 2017 (7:58 AM).
                              TCGO:

Found some of my old cards, are any of these worth anything?

https://app.box.com/s/ljah38z8rdblntf8q92evr7chcndtagg

https://app.box.com/s/2aleutr09epy8fk2bej45yeil0gisuys

https://app.box.com/s/sv11b21cyffiol6tcc1ze2sia30e9qs3

https://app.box.com/s/fmr1omt6x1yejd9m4i5c3akfwfg43kun
                              Old December 16th, 2017 (9:12 PM).
                                TCGO:

Hello! I’ve been collecting cards for a while now, and I was recently told that I had a rare card. A 2012 holo charizard 136/135. I know it’s not fake as I got it from an official Pokémon card pack, but I’m not super sure on it’s worth?
                                Old January 29th, 2018 (12:33 PM).
                                  TCGO:

So I've gone through my old collection of cards from when I was a kid and came across shadowless Charizard from the base set (4/102). I'm wondering if anyone thinks the condition of the card is worth getting it graded and, what your guess on what the grade would be.

I know it is not in mint condition but even those with a low grade go for a few hundred and it seems like the condition is the biggest factor on how much its worth. Its also possible I may be posting in the wrong community and you may know of one that could help me out more.

P.S. yes I'm 100% confident it is not a fake. I very well remember when the game first came out buying a starter deck and 2 booster packs and my Charizard came from one of those.

Link to the pics I've taken of the card
                                  https://photos.app.goo.gl/EH6c262ZDVincqgu2
                                  Old January 29th, 2018 (12:43 PM).

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by dakipmyster View Post
                                  So I've gone through my old collection of cards from when I was a kid and came across shadowless Charizard from the base set (4/102). I'm wondering if anyone thinks the condition of the card is worth getting it graded and, what your guess on what the grade would be.

I know it is not in mint condition but even those with a low grade go for a few hundred and it seems like the condition is the biggest factor on how much its worth. Its also possible I may be posting in the wrong community and you may know of one that could help me out more.

P.S. yes I'm 100% confident it is not a fake. I very well remember when the game first came out buying a starter deck and 2 booster packs and my Charizard came from one of those.

Link to the pics I've taken of the card
                                  https://photos.app.goo.gl/EH6c262ZDVincqgu2
                                  Well, I only ever ask or suspect it's a fake if I see symptoms of what would be a good indicator about counterfeiting, and I don't see any signs of that here.

So, for your non-first edition shadowless Base Set Charizard, it seems to be worth about... $25. At least that's where I'd peg it with the fraying at the edges. Last couple listings for the card on eBay don't seem to show any fraying and went for $35.

Quick Reply