• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you try to complete pokedexes prior to 6th gen?

Years
Title. For me, I sometimes get the urge to but then realize that the only way to complete it will be to get an unnecessary amount of games and consoles or sending the device to someone so they can trade onto it... I don't have any friends that are in the area who play previous generations.

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
I completed my 1st dex in red many years ago before a mewtwo trade with a friend went badly, causing me to get the game file whiped. xD
I completed my national dex once in crystal, ss. & platinum.
... was too busy speedrunning 5th gen to care about the dex xD
... in 6th Gen my overall shiny luck is so good in X, i never thought about a shiny charm, though mm'ing for nicknameable ocean scatterbug for over 3 years in Y now, a shiny charm does cross my mind sometimes. XD

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Sometimes? I never had cables for the GB(C) games, so I knew that was a longshot. I completed the Hoenn Dex in Sapphire as a kid and was disappointed I only got a virtual certificate lmfao. I hacked a complete dex in Diamond. Uhhh I started to work on finishing it in White at one point, but got bored. I completed it in X though, finally. Events and legendaries and all! I'm pretty proud of myself for that one! And then I think I tried in Ultra Moon, but I got distracted with other games.

With the Virtual Console having RBY and GSC on it though, I think I might try to get back into Crystal and go for a complete dex. Crystal is one of my favorites and having a version that won't corrupt due to an old battery is extra incentive for me to try! Maybe that can be on the to-do list for 2019.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 19, 2019
As I got Gen 1 when it came out, Catching Em All was always the target and still is for me. Grinding up levels to beat Battle Towers bores me to even think about it. I was always quite lucky to have the original GB as well as GBC, as well as the opposite versions so I could trade with myself. Same with GBA and GBA SP and even today I have DS and 3DS.

Recently I revisited some old games and completing the Pokédex on Blue and Gold. Ruby always caused me difficulties as a kid without the internet. I could never find the dragon scale to get Kingdra or Feebas and hence Milltic. But now I'm older I've completed the national dex on Ruby and FireRed.

Currently working on HG national dex and will follow with Diamond although my Sinnoh Dex is already complete. Then I'll go for a completed National on B then W2 then Y and OR.

Lesser of an achievement but I've also done Sun and LGE. Hope to one day have a living dex on Pokemon bank with each Pokemon's catch location being its own origin region

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
No, waste of time. I already know every pokemon, aint gonna grind it out for some crappy diploma.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 19, 2019
No, waste of time. I already know every pokemon, aint gonna grind it out for some crappy diploma.

Can I ask what you do play the games for if not to complete pokedexes? Just interfered to hear different opinions on what the point of the game is for others.

Years
Well, I did in Platinum and B2W2. So there was that. And Emerald way back in 2009. So yeah, I did some of the time but not in every game.

Phyrrhic

It's not very effective...
Years
I got it done in Platinum. I'm actively working on HeartGold as most of the Pokemon are available quite easily, and I love Hoenn/Sinnoh sound!

Gen 6 and beyond simply didn't hold my interest in the game long enough for me to even consider working on the dex.

Years
Nope. The reward(s) never really seemed that worth it to me at the time, and I was never really into completing the Pokedex much, anyway. :c

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
Can I ask what you do play the games for if not to complete pokedexes? Just interfered to hear different opinions on what the point of the game is for others.

While the question isn't directed toward me, I usually don't go for trying to complete the pokedex.

I enjoy the team building aspect. I like to start from one, then grow and diversify my team to the end.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019

Similar to ZeoStar's answer, I like to build pokemon teams and see them develop over time and how they complement each other. I enjoy trying out favorites and giving overlooked pokemon a chance, like Spinda and not be mocked and scorned for using it like I would in competitive play.

But I do like catching pokemon but GF has made too many at this point and I don't like a lot of them. So I really don't bother with it unless they make a very worthwhile reward for it which I highly doubt they'll ever do.

Last edited:

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
I've only ever completed the Unova Pokédex in Pokémon White, although I might try to complete the Sinnoh Dex in Platinum now that I'm regularly playing that game again.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
No, I only started completing my Pokedex starting in Gen 6. However, since then I've gone on to complete a bunch of the previous gen ones, sometimes multiple times. It's easier now as I have a lot more time as a university student, and I can now afford to buy the games I didn't have before, to make completing the dex easier.

Years
Just once. It was back in the day with my copy of red. There were quite a few people in my school that played so completing it was doable. I think what turned me away from the series after gen 1 was the idea of catching all 150 again plus 100 more. And then gen 3 having to catch over 300, then over 400, 500, etc. I didn't know you could just complete a regional dex.

I'm going through all those old games now and doing what I can.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
Despite owning most of the games from rhe Gameboy era, it was really difficult for me to complete the Dex. I do have a link cable but in India it's very difficult to find people who actually play Pokemon nearby and to top it off, you normally find only pirated versions which you can't trade with. Thankfully from generation 6 it was easy for me to complete my Dex since I finally managed to set up a wifi hotspot at my place.

Rixe

Space Charkie
Years
I never had a link cable so no. I was also never really interested in completing the Pokédex, even when it was only 151 Pokémon. I've always enjoyed battling way more.

fenberry

Lover <3
Years
  • Age 18
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2019
When I was younger, I tried completing the pokedex in B&W2. Didn't work out very well. I ended up with 300 hours on that file!

Sakura625

Shiny Hunter
Years
In most of the games I played, I caught every Pokémon in every route, but I usually never got close to completing my Pokédex!

Back