• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Forum Event: [The Tohjo Cup] Rnd 3: Lt. Surge vs. Whitney!

Who deserves to win?

• Lt. Surge

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Whitney

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years

Round Three:
20px-Thunder_Badge.png
Lt. Surge vs. Whitney!
20px-Plain_Badge.png

VSLt_Surge.png

Spr_4h_026_m.png
Spr_4d_310.png
Spr_4p_462.png
Spr_4h_101.png
Spr_4p_417_m.png
Spr_4p_466.png

vs.

VSWhitney.png

Spr_4h_203_f.png
Spr_4p_463.png
Spr_4p_400_f.png
Spr_4d_301.png
Spr_4h_036.png
Spr_4h_241.png

Round Three of the Tohjo Cup! It's Lt. Surge, Vermillion City's Lightning Lieutenant, vs. Whitney, Goldenrod City's Incredibly Pretty Girl! Who will win this knockout round?!

S2_Gym_Leader_Lt_Surge_alt.png

"Whitney! Looks like we're up, little lady!"

S2_Leader_Whitney.png

"Yup! I'm ready for a real rumble, Surge!"

S2_Leader_Lieutenant_Surge.png

"That's Lieutenant Surge to you, little tyke! The Lightning American! A Pokémon battle is war! So, I'll shock you into surrender!"

S2_Gym_Leader_Whitney_alt.png

"You'll be the one who will be shocked on how strong my cute Pokémon are! I'm warning you---I'm good!"

S2_Leader_Whitney.png

"Oh! By the way..."

S2_Gym_Leader_Whitney_alt.png

"What's an... American?"

S2_Leader_Lieutenant_Surge.png

"..."

Which of these two are your favourite? Which one deserves to win this round for their region? Please put in your favourite of the two votes at the poll above, and post about your favourite! This round will continue until next week!

Last edited:
Years
Okay, this will be interesting... (also note that this is just my opinion)

Character design and personality
Lt. Surge - The Lightning American! His design fits his military roots. I mean he's supposed to be experienced soldier and so he wears uniform. His design didn't really changed throughout the games and I think it's a good thing.
Whitney - Whitney's design is kinda disappointing. She doesn't really stand out, because she looks pretty much like ordinary Lass. But she gives out Plain Badge so I guess it makes sense.
This one is easy. Lt. Surge wins by a mile.

Pokémon
Let's talk about Pokémon team when you face them:
Lt. Surge - His RB and FRLG are pretty much the same, with only exception being movesets. In FRLG all of his Pokémon know Shock Wave, which can prove to be annoying if you don't have Ground-Type. In Y he uses only Raichu that is on higher level that his RB/FRLG Raichu and I think it would be okay to have these levels in RB/FRLG.
Whitney - Whitney's team is famous for being run killer. Her Miltank has actual good moveset and only Fighting-Type you can get at this point is Machop, so she can be really hard to beat. The only downside are levels of her Pokémon, which are REALLY low for 3rd Gym.
This is pretty close, but I have to give it to Whitney, because you can easily counter Surge's team.

Gym design and grunts
Surge's Gym is 1st Gym with the puzzle, while Whitney's is just another building. I'm not really fan of Whitney's Gym's color scheme, but it somehow fits her, but I can say same about Surge's.
I think Surge still wins this one.

Actual battle
I know this part is always long with a lot of possible routes, but it will be different in this battle. Both teams are neutral to each other, but have few super-effective moves. So no advantages here. What will decide this fight is experience. On one side we have experienced soldier, on the other girl that cries when she loses. On top of that, Surge's Pokémon are higher levels. There really isn't that much to debate, I don't see Whitney ever winning.
Lt. Surge for sure!

Okay, Surge won in my analysis and I'll give a vote to him, because while Whitney is known for her "hard" battle, I feel like Surge is more memorable for me, mostly because of Yellow and anime.

And I won't even mention that once again, there is only 1 animated sprite for literally no reason. Are you doing this on purpose, Dragon?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
And I won't even mention that once again, there is only 1 animated sprite for literally no reason. Are you doing this on purpose, Dragon?

Not really;, these were all from bulbapedia's Battle Dojo section so, I won't know what's animated until actually posted.

Years
Not really;, these were all from bulbapedia's Battle Dojo section so, I won't know what's animated until actually posted.
Yeah, I figured out that after 3 threads where the only animated sprite is the one that is also animated on Bulbapedia :D But I'm going to point that out each time it happens, because it's really driving me insane when some are animated and some aren't.

Personally I use pokemondb's sprites for pre-Gen VI sprites in my threads, because I know they all won't be animated (Gen I-IV) or be animated (Gen V).

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
Ooh a tough matchup here.

Having run multiple nuzlockes across multiple different versions of the Kanto and Johto sagas, I gotta say both these third gym contenders can be tough contenders if you aren't prepared.

With Lt. Surge, while his Raichu does know Quick Attack in FRLG which can trip up an unsuspecting player, if you have a ground type that's its only offensive move. For nuzlockers specifically, depending on your game version you'd have had roughly five ground type options leading up to this. Right before Mt. Moon, you can encounter either of the Nidorans which thanks to the Moon Stones in Mt. Moon could easily be fully evolved by the time you get to him. Geodudes are plentiful in Mt. Moon as well and Diglett's Cave is right next to Vermillion City offering plenty of Diglett and if you're lucky maybe even a Dugtrio. And then if you're playing Leafgreen, you also have the option of a Sandshrew in some of the earlier routes. All in all, while their movesets might be rather lacking, the fact that you get the TM for Dig before the battle as well can also prove useful even if you manage to fail all these encounters, with plenty of pokemon able to learn it as well.

Talking battle strategy wise, Whitney is a lot more difficult to counter, especially in the remakes. First off, as previously mentioned, she's a normal type gym leader, which means her only weakness is fighting types. While normally this isn't too much of a problem, in Johto your only fighting type optiona up until now are Machop and Heracross. Arguably, the easier is the machop. They aren't available in the wild until much later but you can trade for one in the department store of Goldenrod. This is a lot tougher of a task in nuzlockes though, as it requires a drowzee for the trade, a pokemon only available on two routes, both of which have plenty of other pokemon. So if you fail those encounters, no Machop. Heracross are a bit trickier, since you need to headbutt trees to obtain one. Generally the odds of one are fairly low, and unfortunately in Gen 2 it learns no fighting moves naturally until level 44. It is a bit more of a viable option in Gen 4, but this is likely due to Milktank getting a buff from the ability scrappy.. While geodude and onix are available earlier on as decent walls to stall out the team, offensively neither pokemon is all that great so it'll make for a long stall out match against that miltank that could go horribly wrong if the circumstances aren't just right. There's also the fact that ghosts like gastly aren't a viable option anymore in Gen 4. As mentioned previously, in the remakes, Milktank gains the ability Scrappy. Previously not available in Gen 2, it made pokemon like gastly a bit more of a viable option since it was immune to all of miltank's moves except rollout. Scrappy throws that out the window though, able to destroy ghost types with stomp in Gen 4. So overall, talking from a nuzlocke persective, Whitney is the much tougher fight. And we didn't even get into that nightmare of a Clefairy man.

Gym design wise I will say Whitney's gym is a lot less impressive. It's cute that it's shaped like a clefairy but really the only challenge are the four trainers along the way. Lt. Surge's gym has always been infinitely more frustrating with that two button challenge. Sure sure the second button is always adjacent, but that doesn't mean it's not still hard to try and get every single time. Plus, the gym trainers are actually fairly challenging too to boot.

I also like Lt. Surge's character a lot more than Whitney's. I hate her crybaby attitude and her refusal to give you the badge. Sure she kinda makes it up to you in HGSS but come on man she's a gym leader she can't act like that in a professional setting. Lt. Surge is a lot cooler especially with some of the character development he got in other mediums like the manga. Just overall, a much cooler guy.

So I'll be picking Lt. Surge as well.

Back