• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon - NDS Rom hacking

KJGungeon

Rom-hacker, & Researcher
Years
It's been a while PokéCommunity!

I've been here and there through all the forums yet I'm still amazed by how much threads have grown on here. I'm announcing my return to map editing and a new journey on the Pokémon NDS scene. Instead of a reimagined remake of previous games (Hoenn/Kanto) which takes up time I would like to showcase a brand new original rom hack of my own.

But I need you help with a few questions​

Spoiler:

Anyways I'll be checking out the comments on my own time. The community drives the ideas and the person who has the power to do it will make it.​

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2020
Should I go for a SPACE OPERA genre or TWO WORLDS INTERTWINED genre for my rom hack
I think it's really hard to pull a space opera off in a pokemon game considering narrative and storytelling is really important for the genre, and pokemon isn't exactly the best medium to tell a heavy story, since you dont have a lot of options with delivery (e.g. you can only primarily use textboxes and you also dont want to dump info on the player). So with that in mind I'd say two worlds intertwined.

Should I include Fakemons or keep the original Pokémon in the NDS rom I'm using?
Unless Fakemons play an integral part to the story I'd say do not include Fakemons.

How much overhaul of the original NDS Pokémon graphics should I overhaul?
NDS mapping is really time consuming and there are no tools actually designed just for NDS mapping like A-Map is for GBA, I'd say keep it simple at first until you get a nice workflow and know how to do everything by heart and then, if it fits the story (so mostly for space opera) redo tilesets and buildings and work with that.

Should I follow the core Pokémon style with a rival side story and Professor at the beginning giving us a starter then sending us off on a quest?
No, I like more unconventional games. Instead of following the standard pokemon formula try to work out a story that still gives motivation for MC to travel the world, but not just "to become the best there ever was".

What kind of protagonist would you like to see?
Just an idea but maybe a messenger sent to prevent a conflict or war between two cities/regions?

What would you like to see in a NDS Pokémon Rom Hack personally?
Something that shows that NDS does have the capabilities gba has, and that would convince people to actually actively document and research it again.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 3, 2022
What kind of protagonist would you like to see?
A protagonist that actually speaks would be nice. Instead of being a idiot who does whatever people tell him/her to do, a smart and tactical protagonist will be interesting. Like in the mainstream series where you are often told to do this/that, a bit of freedom would be fun.
Ps:sorry if I made some mistakes, am a bit new to the pokecommunity.

Back