• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen Has anyone used Alolan Raticate or Gumshoos?

Years
Has anyone used Alolan Raticate Or Gumshoos in any of their run throughs of either Sun or Moon (In-game team) or even Alolan Persian for that matter? I ask because I've gone back to read some older posts where these pokemon have been constantly bashed. All around the net the Rodents of Alola have been dismissed as useless. Currently I restarted and decided to use Alolan Raticate. it's been on my to do list since I first purchased Sun.

Years
I haven't used them personally, but I always thought it was kinda ~* Pokemon Fan Tradition *~ to bash/make fun of the region's rodents. If you feel like they might be essential team members, don't let the opinions of other people dissuade you by any means; I personally think they could be rather interesting in a team!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
For my first playthrough of Sun, I used a Gumshoos. He became my favorite member of the team because he was so unexpectedly decent. Between Crunch, Hyper Fang, and whatever Hidden Power type he had, he helped out in several battles and only fainted once during the entire run.

Granted, my first playthrough of Sun was also on easy mode, with the EXP Share on and no rules to make it difficult. But Gumshoos was still a fun Pokemon to use, and I'm glad that I gave one a chance.

Any Pokemon could be good on an in-game team. Playing through the storyline gives players a chance to use whatever Pokemon they want to because it's so open-ended. So if you want to use Alolan Raticate, Gumshoos, or Alolan Persian, you should because as colours said, the fandom just bashes Pokemon for no/little reason.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I used an Alolan Persian in my team of 12 (exp was pretty easy to get, haha). It got on my team because I found a Shiny Alolan Meowth. :B

Years
Thanks guys! I actually took it a step further and decided to get my entire team from Melemele Island
Here it is :

Alolan Rattata
Grubbin
Alolan Diglett
Makuhita
Growlithe (I've been playing since red and blue and always chose ninetails or magmar lol. This needs to happen for me)
Brionne

Last edited:
Years
I haven't used them personally, but I always thought it was kinda ~* Pokemon Fan Tradition *~ to bash/make fun of the region's rodents. If you feel like they might be essential team members, don't let the opinions of other people dissuade you by any means; I personally think they could be rather interesting in a team!

This is true. You should never be afraid to use a team that's just Pokemon you like, not what you are forced to use. Alolan Raticate can be pretty powerful with Hustle and hard-hitting moves like Return and Crunch, while Gumshoos gets some decent abilities too, though I am disappointed at no elemental fangs to take advantage of Strong Jaw.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I am not a fan of Alolan Raticate (and I like the normal Raticate) but I had an alola rattata for a while and I love it, I think it's cute and nicely done ^_^
I did not kept it in my team as I got my other Pokemon but if we still had HM and need an HM slave, probably I would have kept it.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
I used Alolan Raticate on my team when I played through Sun, and it did fine.

Years
From a competitive standpoint... I'd never run alolan Raticate. That 4X weakness to fighting is a real deal breaker.... Mach Punch,Focus Blast Drain Punch... and fighting types are still a prevelent threat in online... and even outside the fighting spectrum... you still have Fairy and Bug to worry about... May God have mercy on your soul if you run into a Heracross while using it. You'll end up catching a Megahorn or Close combat. Theres too many pokemon that can threaten out Alolan Raticate. Even without the stab bonus...

But from a In game standpoint. I guess it would be ok... I mean like someone else stated you shouldn't others influence your favorites. If you like it then by George you use it to your hearts content.

Glaceon is one of my favorites and I know its not the greatest... not even close... but I still use it.. even in online

Years
huh I always thought those 2 weren't the greatest but after seeing all of you saying they're not bad and can actually bring a lot to a team I might give it a shot in the near future

Years
I do not like either Pokemon, but I have used them at least a little. I try to fill up the dex as much as I can when I play the story, and getting those two is pretty easy, so... ^^;

ImMrRoboto

That's MISTER Roboto to you!
Years
During my first play through of Sun, my Gumshoos, Fred, was quite possibly the most Op one on my team, but that was mostly due to strategy.

Fred knew Yawn, Sword's Dance, Double Team, and Crunch. Whenever I got into a battle, I would use Yawn to put them to sleep while Fred's high HP tanked their hits. Then I would repeatedly used Double Team and Sword's Dance to make Fred unhittable and super op.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
Since this is a thread about Alolan Raticate and Gumshoos, I did want to post some appreciation for them, since they actually have a good amount of thought behind their designs. You know how Rattatas were introduced to Alola, liked it so much that they adapted, and so the pokedex says they introduced Yungoose/Gumshoos to get rid of them? Well, turns out that is actually what happened in real life. Common rats, the kind that are a pest, were introduced the world over as stowaways in ships. In many places such as the Caribbean, they caused a lot of damage to crops and the like, so people introduced mongooses from South East Asia to hunt and kill the rats. Except, mongoose tend to hunt during the day while rats mostly come out at night (dark-type, anybody), so not only were mongoose unsuccessful, they actually cause a lot of environmental damage to local fauna (birds, frogs, reptiles and the like). I love that these two pokemon and their in-game lore are a reflection of real world interactions between species

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
Alolan Ratticate is dope! How could you not like that Moustache and Chubby cheeks? Dang thing looks like Pablo Escobar. On a serious note, Do not let the fandom decide for you. Heck, People bashed on regular Ratticate and I did a solo run of it on Fire red and beat the league, haahaha.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
All three, one of them twice.

I got both Sun and Moon. In Moon, which I played first, I had a Gumshoos (V.P., after the asteroid 2012 VP113) on my team for the whole game; she held the Normalium Z Crystal and was actually a pretty potent attacker. A whole lot of my Hall-of-Fame teams include the early regional rodent, bird and/or bug, and other mons from the early-game as well, especially back when I used to use a strict non-rotating team of six.

In Sun, I caught a whole bunch of Pokemon and did rotating teams; A-Rattata (Phobos) and A-Meowth (Deimos) were two of these. Later on, I randomly encountered a Shiny A-Rattata (Eris), so I just...had two Raticates. Haha. That's the kind of thing that works better with rotating teams, so you can use one at a time and fill the rest of your party with diverse types...Buuut I often couldn't resist carrying all three around at once. :3c They're a squad!!

Last edited:
Back