• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Chromatite(Spherians Project)

What do you think of the battle system?

• Perfect

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • Good

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Stick to the original pokemon one

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Bad

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Total Crap

Votes: 8 14.3%

• Total voters

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
Years
sphere doesn't take much more than 1MB, the space required for a big game just depends on the ammount of code, graphics, etc you include in the game. (our project so far doesn't go over 1MB when zipped :) )

to apply read the essay I wrote at the Member recruitment thread.

As for the limits... your imagination I think :)
with more or less patience you can get basically anything done, sphere also has connectivity support for online (which we will add as a room like the wireless room in FRLG where you can trade/battle, etc), you can run the game on real resolution (240x160) or 2x that or even full screen, all it requires is to have Open GL drivers which 96% of the graphics cards in the world support (if it is less than 8 years old I bet it does).

Sphere also has a nice way of getting the current time on your computer which is much easier to create a clock, and it takes less lines of JavaScript code to achieve the same as you do in Ruby :)

Waudby

I agree, i used rmxp and ruby for a wile but u cannot achieve as much as in sphere. As for the project, i think its goin well hopefully we will have some more screens by the end of the week if not sooner.

Budgie_boy

A bold new journey awaits
Years
Cool, mayb I will remake my game in sphere!
I will give it a read, anyway!!!!!!!!!!!:P

Ok can you link me to a few tutorials on sphere or is it just purely javascript?
(I've studied javascript for a good 5 years) Maybe I can help you guys more than ever!!!!:D

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
Years
would be good to have you on the team, it accepts all JavaScript functions, etc except the conditions that only apply to websites like ONCLICK, etc
As for tutorials:

also, register at the spheredev forums to ask for help :P (PS: If you need some scripts like tile by tile movement with working teleport and random movement, move, etc functions add me to msn: [email protected])

Budgie_boy

Years
Well actually no, it should because my friend has made an application for sphere (yes I have a mate who has sphere), it uses some of the actions used 'only' in internet sites.

I have asked him to ask you to join the team as well, he is a university student studying programming (javascript) so I dunno, maybe he will be better to help you than myself!

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
Years
oh well, I didn'T know that but I guess you'Re right, if using sphere connectivity functions you should be able to use the website conditions :)

now, on topic:

New stuff added to the game, Warping system now works (Teleport) perfectly while walking but not when running or bicycling (which I hope to solve tonight). Menu is working and the game can be played in 2x GBA size (explanation on how to will be included in the read me...whenever we release a demo). Tonight I don't have much school work so I will work on the jumping and grass animation system (already brainstorming footprint and reflection system). I started doing Hoenn, up to Route 102, you can see the screenshots at the Wiki (go to first page for link). When I finish tonight's stuff I'll post it there as well and here saying that it is in the Wiki :D

Budgie_boy

Years
I have major problems with the battle system, i TOTALLY don't like it, you are better off with the old style battles but with better background such as the RmXP backgrounds.
I know it's a bit more difficult to code, I've tried it a dozen times! but it is a much more enjoyable feel to play a pokemon game and get a pokemon styled battle system!

Budgie_boy

Years
[_DarkDragon_] said:
we are trying to be creative here, and so far you'Re the only one who doesn'T like it at all :S

(Maybe I should make a Poll :F)
Yeah, I do apologise that I am being totally traditional here, I have dedicated most of my life (since 1998, when blue version first came out) to everything Pok?mon, so yeah, it is a very original idea but in my personal opinion I don't don't like how the battle system is going. I am a traditionalist!

However, I have had a number of ideas since then:
That screen could be like an intro part of battles, then it goes to the "who versus who" screen (like in the elite four or in beauty contests).
Then it moves on to the classic battle screen with better backgrounds and stuff.

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
Years
hum, we are talking about about up to 6x6 battles here (unofficial battles), you can't put 6 pokemon side to side on a normal battle system (in this one you could with a little bit of picture rearrangement XD ) but maybe I'll use other background for this typo of battle as I also don't like the tiles much as a background :x

btw, how are the charsets going? :)

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
wow 6 on 6 battles
its going to be a war lol !!

anyway I like the battle system because loads of other games are using the normal battlesystem if you use the normal it will be plain old...

using something new will catch peoples eye!

anyway good luck

Budgie_boy

Years
Well, I'll give them ALL once I have finished but my computer had around 26 trojan virus so I've wiped the whole computer and started again! :(
I've saved the charsets that I've done on floppy disk and am going to put them back on as soon as I get in from work tonight!:D

Budgie_boy

Years
I must be honest, the 6v6 battles seems like an interesting Idea!
It's like team rocket using all their pokemon to gang up on you and stuff like that, maybe it would be usefulll for that.

However trust me I have done a short survey with around 15 people I know and they say that the original was dull because it didn't feel like they were anywhere.
They liked my idea of the screen could be like an intro part of battles, then it going to the "who versus who" screen (like in the elite four or in beauty contests).
Then it moving on to the classic battle screen with better backgrounds and stuff. More of an area battle sorta thing, eg:
sea battles - Sea battle background

sea battle close to land - sea battle background with land in the distance

cave battle - cave battle background

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
Years
well, I dunno, we will see, maybe I make both? :x

Anyways small update, I started making my custom tileset for the Demitri and Oregon regions, here's what I have so far (they are not made from scratch but various buildings merged together to make a new one and so on :) ):
tilessofar.png

ATTENTION: This tileset or any future versions of it are made just to show what you can expect, it is not to be used by anyone except the Team who is making the game unless I later say it can be used, for the time being it is a Pokemon Chromatite exclusive tileset. If I see it used anywhere else it will be as bad as sprite thievery.

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
Years
:P

Anyways, I was working on the game and came up with an idea, what about like when getting near water, if a pokemon on your team has surf then you can directly walk into the water and surf will be used, if a pokemon has cut you can walk on grass and the pokemon will cut the grass on the way so that you don't have to battle wild pokemon and so on? :D

Back