• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Name Meanings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Trier

Drageon The Dragon Type Eevee
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 19, 2010
Actually i doubt my own theory coz the flygon's type are dragon and not bug

Years
Either Fly(ing) + Dragon or "Dragonfly" could work for Flygon, I think, since while it's not quite a dragonfly, it's based off something that looks like one.

Another possibility for Vibrava: the exact word "vibrava" seems to be a conjugation (the third person singular indicative, according to what I'm looking at) of the Italian verb "vibrare", which means "to vibrate".

Dee Trier

Drageon The Dragon Type Eevee
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 19, 2010
Hey guys. I just think about flygon and here is my new theory
DragonFLY DraGON

Iron Mankey

Gentleman Thug
Years
"Rayquaza-directly Romanized version of its Japanese name"

I think there's more:

Ray= Ray of light or sun, since it lives so high up.
quaza= Quasar, one of- if not the- most powerful sources of energy known to this universe. Since it is an uber. and all ubers are uber-strong.

Years
Impressive list. *gives a thumbs-up*

My thoughts:

Mareep - sheep + Mary (playing on the poem "Mary had a little lamb")

Dunsparce - sparce + dun (dull brown or grey in colour)

Vibrava - vibrato (high-pitched wavery singing) + brava (feminine variant of "bravo")

Cacturne - cactus + taciturne (silent, withdrawn)

Mawile - maw (mouth) + crocodile (drawn from its attack "Fake Tears", otherwise known as crocodile tears)

I like Iron Mankey's theory on Gyarados's name, by the way! ^_^

~ Saphy ~

Fls4eva

Shinn & Hakudoushi > Everyone
Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2012
O...Gosh...I didn't eva expect Pokemon names to haf reasons behind it...It's totally amazing...

figglychu

weedles and pichus pwn!
Years
I know wobbuffet is wobble+buffet(smacked around) and snorunt is snow(it eats snow) and runt. and maybe houndour is hound and dour(a word meaning gloomy and/or grumpy looking) dewgong is named after a similar animal of the same name. and sneasel is sneeze(it lives in cold places) and weasle. please don't criticize if you have heard it before.

kohei

Pizzaman.
Years
Shadowburn said:
I guess nobody tried this for raikou. RAI- Of couse thunder (but thats not the whole word!) KOU- Cougar :rambo:
Actually "Kou" is from the Japanese word, Koutei (皇帝 ), which literally means "emperor".

Same goes to Suicune (Suikun), as Sui, means water, and Kun comes from "kunshu" (君主 ), "lord" in Japanese.

For Entei, it's En (as in fire=ka"en"), and "Tei"ou (帝王 ), which also means emperor.

Lord Nidokingu

The Highest Nidoking
Years
RaikouSpecialLover said:
Just to let you know, a couple of those are wrong.
www.pokemondungeon.com/ 's Pokedex shows the correct name meanings.

lol...
XD

Honestly... Define "correct".
Did the owner of this website walk up to the name creators of the english games and ask?

No.

Just... No.

By the way. Some pokémon names are simply the Japanese name with minor variations. For example:

Nidoking is derived from Nidokingu

Nido is a japanese word meaning "two times" or "two degrees" What does this mean? Well if you connect the fact that there are TWO species of Nidos, (One species for each gender) you get your doubling right there.

Kingu is a japanese word for... You guessed it: King

Nidoqueen is derived from Nidokuin

The prefix is the same in this case.

Kuino comes from kui-n which means: Queen

And to kill off the "omg wut about teh "rino" part in Nidorino, its sposed to be leik rhino!11!oneeleventyfirstbirthday" I have researched that.
No. All Nidos retain their names from japanese. Rhinocerous isn't even close.
Rhinocerous in japanese is "sai".

Rino and Rina are simply masculine and feminine suffixes.

The suffix "ran" in Nidoran is a syllable in japanese words to refer to eggs in some manner. Perhaps "from egg" or even young. Tying in the fact that they are young, it works well.

Didn't see THAT in the above link... =/

So:

Nidoran ♀ - nido
Nidorina – nido + "a" to distinguish femininity
Nidoqueen – nido + queen
Nidoran ♂ - nido
Nidorino – nido + "o" to distinguish masculinity
Nidoking – nido + king

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back