• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other FULL] Ethersworn: The Vale Institute

Colony

Poe and Palahniuk's Prodige
Years

Vale Institute of Magic

IC

Shortly before the conclusion of World War II, an unidentified landmass appeared in the Pacific Ocean; a series of small islands with environments that seemed to change at random, later referred to as the Liminal Isles. On it, the air was toxic to anything that set foot on its soil. But with the islands came magic, surfacing in new births worldwide. It manifested with a variety of unique abilities, but they were soon grouped under elemental classifications. Few were capable of using it, and even fewer survived past their awakening, killed in cold blood as blasphemers, witches and demons.

Those who hid their abilities lived to become far more powerful than any normal human, bending the laws of the physical world to their will. They stood, and fought for their rights. None could oppose the mages, and they became fully integrated as members of society. Regardless, humanity lived in abject fear, driving many mages to form their own towns and communities by the 70s. Even today, humans largely prefer to quietly shun magic and mages, or act as if they don't exist. Some still resort to murder, if it's not too late to do so.

In 1962, the islands began expanding, fragments spreading their influence to other places in the world, albeit to lesser impact. These locations were conspicuously uninhabited, as well, and are now home to monsters of all shapes, sizes and behaviors. Soldiers of the world's armies found guns and missiles ineffective to both the beasts and the lands on which they stood, losing their lives in the process, and humanity as a whole seemed useless. Their only hope left, after a three year long bureaucratic battle, was a group of mages authorized to step onto the Liminal Isles proper.

They proved impervious to the poisonous air, going so far as discovering it to be a sustainable environment for them, and their magical abilities capable of destroying the monsters. The things they slew were named Etherspawn, and the remains of their bodies (referred to as Ether) fueled their magic further. With a new potential fighting force, but so regrettably few in number, dedicated schools were promptly built around the world to give young mages a chance to better themselves and their unique skills without risk of public backlash, and use their power for the sake of the world. Among other comments, some felt it worth doing just because it separated these disasters waiting to happen from the general populous. There were ultimately no worthwhile objections, and magic task forces were established to deal with rogues.

Founded in 1971, hidden in the High Plains of the United States, the Vale Institute is one such school, and one of two high schools in the country. Ranging from grades 9 to 12, the school is run by a widow named Kristen Vale. Through any means of communication they can muster, Vale contacts teenagers across the country (and sometimes in others) and invites them to complete their schooling at the Institute. They provide not only control and training for one's magical powers for a variety of uses, but the full benefits of a well-funded education. However, attendance comes with some hefty risks. Despite access to some of the best doctors and medical mages in the country, most students are putting their lives on the line for their education.

The Isles have since stabilized in size, but the space they occupy continues to distort and twist as if blending realities with other universes. Constant study is required, both of the environments and their inhabitants, and developments must be made to deal with them and manage these warped—and occasionally outright alien—ecosystems.

One way or another, you are a student invited to the Vale Institute for the start of a new school year. You may be new to your powers or a free-learning veteran, and you're not the only one. Good luck, freshman.

Campus

Main Building: To the north end of Vale's campus is the main building, a fairly simple rectangular brick-and-mortar building standing three stories tall. The ground floor is the busiest. Faculty offices are on the first floor, along with the cafeteria; infirmary; and the entrance to the gymnasium, which doubles as a basketball court. Both the cafeteria and infirmary are found in the east, while the gym is located on the northwest end of the school. The school's auditorium can also be found directly next to the gym.

The cafeteria offers a wide selection of professionally-prepared food on its own, as well as a few kiosks that give students quick access to Subway, McDonald's and Pizza Hut. Kitchen-inclined students have the products of their culinary classes on display and often available for purchase here.

The second floor is made up by first and second year classes, and the third floor holds the headmistress' office, as well as the third and fourth year classes.

Vocational Building: Near the main building can be found a smaller one dedicated to the school's various elective classes, including the woodworking, metalworking and culinary arts classes, among others.

Portal Stone: Located directly in front of the school's main building is a Portal Stone, a stone tablet ten feet high, as many wide, and three thick. This stone functions as Vale's connection to the Isles, and is the only method of transport for students and faculty getting to and from missions.

Magic Field: Along with traditional sports fields found immediately west and east of the school, behind the building to the north is a magically charged field about the size of a football field. This slab of solid ether is tended to by a small group of Vale staff to allow students to practice using their magic in situations that they'll encounter out on missions.

Recreation Center: The recreation center is the best place to have some unconditional fun on campus. All sorts of things can be found here, such as televisions, games, and a lounge. The school's 50-meter swimming pool is also located here. Half of the pool is inside while the other half is outside, and both are separated by a sheet of glass to keep the outside from getting in.

Dorms: There are two gender-specific dorm buildings on the south side of campus, with the boys' dorm to the southwest, and the girls' southeast. Student rooms are furnished with two twin-sized beds, two computer desks—MacBook Pro included—two dressers, a closet, and a full bathroom. They can be decorated however students wish, and they can exchange their desk or bed with their own funds.

Ridgeton: The school is found at the center of a small, magic-filled town only about ten miles wide. Ridgeton houses many magic-oriented residents, as well as a few restaurants, shops and facilities. Students can work at these locations for extra money, and their student IDs double as debit cards. Vale rewards students with an allowance based on positive performance in class, behavior and achievements during their time at the school.

Magic

Water: Known for being able to conjure and control the various aspects of liquid, although more especially water. Water mages can strip clean water from almost any environment. Given time, water mages will naturally begin to exhibit control over its solid counterpart as well.

Ice: With the water mage's newfound prowess in commanding frozen fluids, they also gain the power to freeze the world around them, in more ways than one. Forging a frozen domain, conjuring pillars of ice and even trapping their enemies as a permanent reminder to all who pass.​

Fire: Exerting power over flames and heat is typical of fire mages. Simple by design, the utility, spontaneity and sheer destructive potential is incredible. Eventually, the spark within a fire mage grows, hotter and faster until it transforms into a bolt of lightning.

Lightning: Mages exceptionally skilled in fire magic occasionally grow to control all forms of electricity, as well. From short-circuiting and overloading everything in range, to raining down the wrath of the heavens, a lightning mage can summon and control it all.​

Earth: Arguably the most versatile of elements, earth mages exert dominion over the ground on which they walk. Crafting a golem or conjuring an arsenal is elementary for an earth mage, but it's only through exceptional talent and extensive training that they become able to grasp the power of life itself.

Nature: A well-trained earth mage becomes in tune with the plantlife of the natural world. They can grow trees and vines out of nowhere, bring life to dying wastes, and make the world wither all the same.​

Air: Air mages control the atmosphere, and not just the wind, but vapors and smoke, as well. Flooding the air with toxins or creating a vacuum are routine. After developing their skills, air mages are able to acquire a level of purity in their magic, strong enough to eliminate illnesses and repair injuries.

Healing: As the name implies, healing magic can cure all what ails you. Well, except death. Still, a well-trained healing mage can save someone from heavy wounds and severed limbs in a matter of minutes.​

Light & Darkness: Unlike other forms of magic, one is not born with the power to command light and darkness. Instead, it's believed that these unique forms of magic reside on a different wavelength than other elements, and possess some degree of sentience. That is, these elements actively choose who wields them. Light mages manipulate photons and rays of light, and their counterparts the lack thereof—the shadows of being.

Ether

An alien material that can seamlessly transition from energy to matter and back, all living things on the Liminal Isles are composed of ether, including the Etherspawn that reside there, and mages are the only living things on Earth receptive to it. By defeating etherspawn, mages can break down the material, and store it within themselves for later use. Ethersmiths dedicate their skills to molding that ether into weaponry and armor, giving mages more than a fighting chance without having to always resort to magic, and often to supplement it. Raw ether has also become somewhat of an alternative currency exclusive to mages, making it valuable in more ways than one.

Rules

∞ All PC and RPT rules apply.

∞ All IC posts must be at least 100 words in length.

∞ Do not use abbreviations like "lol" or "omg".

∞ Do not double post.

∞ Do not godmod or bunny other players' characters without consent.​

∞ Please do not hesitate to ask questions and brainstorm with the GMs, and feel free to use the Discord channel to communicate with us and your fellow players.

∞ This RP is rated M for mature. Themes involving excessive gore, explicit bedroom scenes, or overt amounts of swearing are still banned.

Accepted Characters

Active

Zane Emerson

Sophia Emerson

Over half of the cast

Domingo Hernández

Iris Aldridge

Kylie Byrd

Violett Adélaïde Fürst-Shaw

Morgan Ellis Wynne

Jack Marrick

Fern "Fie" Elise

Nychta DeMuere

Julie Nguyen

Inactive

Michael Graves

Vance Fintan Adair

Carson Welles

Nasrin Nouri

Signup Sheet

Name:

Weapon of Choice:

Element:

Spells:

Appearance:

Personality:

History:

Other:

Last edited:

Songbird

Tonight, the marigolds bloom for her.
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
We're back, sexy people.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Fen-Fen

Me but more fabulous
Years
Hmm...looks interesting. I might sign up, given that spring break is coming up and I'll have new ideas and whatnot. I'll decide whether commit or not in the next couple days as I type up my SU. Can my character come only from the US or can he be from another country?

Songbird

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Your character can most certainly be born and raised in another country (and it's something one of our players has done before), but keep in mind that many nations have their own Institute-equivalent, so it's best if they have a good reason to be brought to the U.S.

Fen-Fen

Me but more fabulous
Years
Ok, I think I'll have my character born in the US. What state is the Institute located in? I was thinking she could come from Denver, Colorado or Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Songbird

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
It doesn't matter where the student actually comes from—their hometown has no bearing on Vale contacting and bringing them to the school, so feel free to have their location be anywhere you like.

If you have more questions, I'm readily available on the Discord channel that you can find at the top of the OP, so I can answer quicker through there. You don't even have to install anything, and you don't have to add users like Skype. :)

Last edited:

Geras

Roleplayer
Years
He's back.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Songbird

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Knuckles the Echidna Steel Luchador has thrown away his mask, returning to Vale with a vengeance and power gloves!

Our resident Mexican is in.

Last edited:

Khawill

<3
Years
Name: Felix Diez-Saurez

Weapon of Choice: Ether gloves and boots, designed to make it easy to fight Ether creatures with his fists. The tips of the fingers are sharp, and allow him to stab into the beings.

Element: Fire

Spells: Fire: Felix can cause objects he sees to heat up to combustion. Provided that they are already flammable

Fire Breath: Felix can breath fire.

Smoke: Felix can quickly expel a large amount of dark smoke of which to escape

Purify: Felix focuses a high amount of energy in a small area, completely turning that area into ash. This spell is incredibly draining, can't be pulled of on moving targets, and is entirely a finishing move.

Burst/Flight: Felix can use fire to propel himself in the air, or to quickly move himself forward. Currently this spell does not work very well, and he can at best slow himself down as he plummets to the ground. This ability also allows him to pack an extra kick to his physical attacks for minimal magic expenditure.

Appearance: Felix is short in stature (about 5"9) and has a slim and nimble build. He has short black, straight hair, and caramel skin. Felix is muscular, though slim.

Felix dresses very loosely and often tries to wear as little as possible to get as much freedom as possible. You may see him in gym shorts and a t-short or just gym shorts.

Personality: Felix is a passionate and determined soul who seeks to live day to day in pleasure. Felix has a weak moral compass, finding his own daily goals to be important enough to trump feelings, though he isn't completely mentally wired for such a mindset, and comes to many conflicting choices. He won't endanger a person unless he is absolutely sure they will be safe, and he has a weak spot for cute animals. Felix is not known to make plans for the future, and simply improvises solutions or goals on a case by case, day to day basis. As such, he can seem to be unpredictable and even wild to those who do not know him. Still, those close to him are easily able to predict what his reaction to a situation will be, and most know that is a pretty harmless person to most.

Towards enemies, Felix can seem ruthless, and even cruel, though he harbors no hatred for them. He figures that since everyone is okay with him killing the monsters, he may as kill them in ways that he sees as fun and interesting.

History:

Other:

Last edited:

Songbird

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Khawill, I just want to make sure you're aware, the weapons you've listed will be 100% completely useless against the main targets he'll be fighting. Wires, hooks and knives are an acceptable weapon selection, but they can't be made of earthly materials, because they can't do jack.

Additionally, any weapons he already had are to be left behind. Of course, nothing's stopping him from making himself new ones while he's at Vale. They'll just be worthless. :D

Last edited:

Colony

Years
Yawn, now that I'm awake, I should probably post this. :p

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Khawill

<3
Years
Khawill, I just want to make sure you're aware, the weapons you've listed will be 100% completely useless against the main targets he'll be fighting. Wires, hooks and knives are an acceptable weapon selection, but they can't be made of earthly materials, because they can't do jack.

Additionally, any weapons he already had are to be left behind. Of course, nothing's stopping him from making himself new ones while he's at Vale. They'll just be worthless. :D

Yeah sorry, I changed the materials, the whole point I was trying to get across is that he uses a lot of conductive materials to fight. So far are things solid? If yeah, I'll start the history, if not I'll make chanbes

Edit: I'm at work, so my replies and edits are in chunks

Songbird

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Ether is not conductive to anything on earth. Natural heat and electricity have virtually no effect on objects made of ether. They are conductive to magical control of elements and other things made of ether. This is why mages can use them, and why etherspawn can shrug off explosives from a tank. As was hopefully detailed well enough in the OP, ethersmithing is a dedicated craft, a lot like blacksmithing. Any mage has potential with it, and any mage can store it as energy, but it takes actual practice and skill with the substance to make something decent, much less usable.

The other problem is that homemade anything is also going to end up being entirely worthless unless made with or through magic. You can make firebombs and smoke screens with magic, but you went with gadgets that just won't do anything, especially without a clear focus on developing into an ethersmith. An earth mage would make those gadgets viable, but it's clear that that isn't what you're going for.

doge

???
Years
edited

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Songbird

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Glad to see Nasrin coming back. Unfortunately, some things will need to change to accommodate the differences in objectives. I'm happy to say that her appearance, history and personality can more or less remain the same pending any changes you may want to personally make, but her current spell repertoire will be much less effective (even as a support) when her primary enemies are going to be otherworldly monsters three or four times bigger than her and her teammates.

Also, a hickory staff won't really work. She can bring it to her dorm if it's included in her history beforehand, and the design of it can remain, but she'll be supplied with a staff made of ether instead, which will be much more receptive to her spells' functions.

So you know, if I had a good enough reason, I would have most certainly taken you up on your offer. ;)

Fuyu

The answer is at the top...
Years
I don't even know if i has my original vale thing anymore bu-ut. As you know, i am interested. Gonna work on a SU tonight!

Fen-Fen

Me but more fabulous
Years
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Colony

Years
@Khawill: So far, the SU is still not quite where we would like to see it, but we've looked over it and I think we've some decent, in-depth comments to help give you an idea of what we're looking for. Now, let's begin the review:

Spoiler:

If you have any questions or maybe would like to enlighten us about any misunderstandings we may have, please feel free to mention them. We're here to help, after all.

Last edited:
Back