• 9 replies

Fairy

Female
Laverre City
Seen 12 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
8,813 posts
8.3 Years
So sequels in books, movies, and games are typically considered to be.. not as good as their first iteration counterparts. But, some of them are undeniably charming in their own right. Which game series has a sequel that you actually really like?

Sydian

XIII

Age 27
Georgia
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
32,474 posts
11.6 Years
kingdom hearts 2, if we're considering that a sequel since there are technically a few games ahead of it timeline wise aha. pokemon gold and silver are deserving of mentions, as well.

coming up with sequels is surprisingly hard for some reason aha. funny enough, i usually prefer the third games in the series (jak 3, mother 3, pokemon gen 3) so rip.
vacation? what's that?
twitter | ao3

TY

Age 23
Male
Netherlandia
Online now
Posted 1 Hour Ago
2,407 posts
190 Days
Need for Speed Underground 2, my childhood

C&C: Tiberian Sun, my other childhood

Cid

from 2013

Age 24
Male
Philippines
Seen 14 Hours Ago
Posted 14 Hours Ago
3,323 posts
11.5 Years
Pokémon (Pokémon Gold), Kingdom Hearts (Kingdom Hearts II), and EarthBound (Mother 3), off the top of my head.

I hear Majora's Mask is pretty good, too. A Link Between Worlds as well. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations also deserves a mention.
Female
Infinite Insanity
Seen 16 Hours Ago
Posted 16 Hours Ago
231 posts
2.6 Years
Pokemon (you know all the sequels), but we can't forget Sonic 2 cause TAILS! God, back in the day, me and my bro killed the heck out of Sonic 2 for Genesis! Those were the day of SUPER youth!
Started Alola journey 12/24/18...on a plane!
PC's favorite band nerd....JK I'm sure there are others!
I plan to do challenges on Omega Ruby, and X soon

Sydian

XIII

Age 27
Georgia
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
32,474 posts
11.6 Years
I hear Majora's Mask is pretty good, too. A Link Between Worlds as well. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations also deserves a mention.
oh yes, a link between worlds is great! i didn't think that counted as a sequel aha. but i picked it up on a whim just bc i was collecting games hardcore at the time and it was getting great reviews. i'm not that great at top down zelda games, but i really enjoyed it and had a great time with it. it encouraged me to go ahead and preorder the link's awakening remake that drops soon bc i expect that it will be as great as link between worlds + breath of the wild isn't really my type of game so i skipped out on that and need a zelda fix.

while i'm back in this thread, i can't believe i forgot super mario galaxy 2!! a phenomenal game and i mean you could consider it a little too similar to the first one, but they're honestly both such a joy to play that it really doesn't matter which one your preference is. i only own the second one and i love yoshi so i have obvious bias, but i mean. it's still an amazing game, coming from the worlds worst platformer player. lol
vacation? what's that?
twitter | ao3

Brendino

New Horizons
Seen 7 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
8,263 posts
9.8 Years
Pokemon (you know all the sequels), but we can't forget Sonic 2 cause TAILS! God, back in the day, me and my bro killed the heck out of Sonic 2 for Genesis! Those were the day of SUPER youth!
100% this!! Sonic 2 is still my favorite game of all-time, even if I can more or less play it with my eyes closed now.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh

Age 23
Non-binary
Liguria, Italy
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 4 Hours Ago
69 posts
258 Days
I don't know how to consider series which have not direct sequels but newer installments as in many cases those improve so much over the originals (Gran Turismo is a series that comes to mind, also many Mario platformers, most Mario Kart titles, and many strategy games), so I'll just consider direct sequels here:
- Pokémon GS and B2W2 over RB and BW respectively (also the only direct sequels), Gen 1 retrospectively had lots of weak spots which Gen 2 corrected (plus Gen 2 gave us so many things that are standard now); and B2W2 imho corrected all of the things that weren't so great in BW, sure there wasn't the novelty of new Pokémon only but I strongly prefer the larger pool of available Pokémon than the very restricted one of BW, and that was only one of many things B2W2 did better imho.
- Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back is my personal high point of the series and it was a definite improvement over the original (which still was a really good game), first of all it scrapped the unforgiving and very arcade-style saving system, then it added or tweaked many new things that became staple to the series.
- Sacred 2: Fallen Angel is one I do not like more than the original (at best I consider them equal) mainly because of the weaker story and the clear signs of its troubled development, but in many aspects it was a clear improvement over the original and I'd say it has more replayability value. I'm of the opinion that if the developers hadn't gone bankrupt because of its development hell it could have had a lot more support and maybe eventually overtaken the original, the fan community has done a lot of things on this aspect but there's a limit to what fans can do.
Advertiser Content