• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I'm interested in starting a RP in a similar vein to Arcana Famiglia (info) where effectively the players would each have a 'contract' with a different Arcana card giving them the 'power' related to that card (eg reading someone's heart, causing instant death, invisibility, etc), but I'm not sure how many people would be interested in this since it's not a hugely popular anime. It wouldn't be based on the anime other than there being an Arcana Famiglia with each member having one of the Arcana powers, so it's not vital to have watched it by any means. There'll be around 10 characters accepted (including one of mine) unless there's unexpectedly high levels of interest in the RP and there'll be a relatively free choice when it comes to choosing which card the player's contract is with, but each card will have a pre-designated effect that'll be posted before sign-ups start. Effectively the story could work in one of four ways (to be decided later):

1. One universal boss-type enemy that threatens the family's safety and they must work together to stop it.
  2. There is a competition or tournament that the players are entering for the title of 'Papa' (head of the family) and The World card.
  3. A war within the family where various family members fight each other.
  4. Several smaller missions/events occurring in a sandboxy manner (much like in the anime).
So two questions really; would anyone want to join a RP themed around this concept of Arcana powers and which story progression would you prefer to play? I've already decided which it'll probably be, but feedback is very useful. :)

Also a co-GM may be useful at some point, but for now I'm planning to GM solo unless anyone is exceptionally interested in helping haha.

Last edited:

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
Years
So two questions really; would anyone want to join a RP themed around this concept of Arcana powers and which story progression would you prefer to play?
Personally, I'd prefer the first one with a universal boss-type villain or problem. That's just me being old-fashioned, though. I have the least interest in tournament-type things, but plenty of other people like that kind of RP. ^^

The other RPs do sound interesting, though. I really need to get around to reading Game of Thrones, dammit. I've been meaning to for such a long time. >.>

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Personally, I'd prefer the first one with a universal boss-type villain or problem. That's just me being old-fashioned, though. I have the least interest in tournament-type things, but plenty of other people like that kind of RP. ^^

How about combining them so there's a universal boss-type thing which forms the main story, then afterwards there's the tournament as a kind of "who grew the most" sort of thing to wrap it up? Sort of like the cool bonus level when you've completed a game... Would that be more appealing? :3

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Ozzy, I've been wondering where your av/sig set came from! I'm guess it's from this anime/manga/game. Ahaha.

Also, I'm very much interested in this roleplay. Though, I do prefer a universal boss over a tournament style boss. I'm willing to take interest either way you decide to do and I was reading the wiki link you provided and for the "Papa" seat it says something about a male taking over the seat. Does this mean we're only allowed to play as males or...?

Manganum

Your local sine wave
Years
Anyone interested in participating in a medieval-style Pokemon roleplay? ;) I'm quite proud of the world I've designed, and I think the story seems decent so far. It's going to be sandbox-style with an ultimate objective still in mind. As part of a task force investigating an assassination, you'll be led all across the region I've created, searching for answers and uncovering an ancient evil! I'm drawing on some minor inspiration found in media such as The Elder Scrolls, Lord of the Rings, Sword Art Online, et cetera. For example, your character will have a "class", but will not necessarily be restricted to only using a certain weapon or having particular skills. Giratina more-or-less takes on an Alduin-like role, reviving big bad enemies for the characters to deal with. I'm also thinking of incorporating the concept of a "capture quota" - basically, in every area, each available Pokemon will be split into Rare, Uncommon and Common tiers. Rares will cost two points, Uncommons one point, and Commons will be unlimited. In every chapter, a character will be granted a certain amount of points to spend as they see fit. This will basically eliminate the whole "I want to encounter [x Pokemon], but it's too overpowered!", leaving it completely up to the roleplayer.

I'm rambling. :( Anyone got some input? I'm trying to decide whether to include the "class" thing at all, but I still want to keep an MMO sandbox-type feel to it, while maintaining the more mature themes of battle and such.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Also, I'm very much interested in this roleplay. Though, I do prefer a universal boss over a tournament style boss.
I was thinking more that it'd be a universal boss styled RP with a small tournament thrown in at the end, but right near the start there'll be an announcement/meeting in which it's declared that a new Papa must be found so that idea will always be lurking in the background whilst the boss-entity is being dealt with. It'd be sort of like a mini-game after you've completed the main game where players test how far they've come and a 'winner' of sorts emerges, if that makes sense? But that's something that can easily be decided nearer the time when the RP is coming close to completion and the boss is nearing defeat (which will be a loooonnnngggg way away haha), but I think it'll definitely follow a universal boss format now after all the comments. :)

I'm willing to take interest either way you decide to do and I was reading the wiki link you provided and for the "Papa" seat it says something about a male taking over the seat. Does this mean we're only allowed to play as males or...?
That is a slight problem, but the prize is mainly The World card as opposed to becoming the new Papa. The World card is the most powerful of all and controls the other cards, so the bearer is effectively in charge of all the other members of the famiglia; the title of 'Papa' is just for show haha. If a girl wins, they'll just become 'Mama' instead but still take the card :D

Spoiler:

I'm rambling. :( Anyone got some input? I'm trying to decide whether to include the "class" thing at all, but I still want to keep an MMO sandbox-type feel to it, while maintaining the more mature themes of battle and such.
This is sounding really confusing... xD I love how you've taken elements from lots of different areas, it's a really cool idea so far, I just hope it's a bit easier to follow when it's finished haha. A medieval-style Pokémon roleplay sounds awesome though, I'd certainly be interested in that!

Manganum

Your local sine wave
Years
This is sounding really confusing... xD I love how you've taken elements from lots of different areas, it's a really cool idea so far, I just hope it's a bit easier to follow when it's finished haha. A medieval-style Pokémon roleplay sounds awesome though, I'd certainly be interested in that!

Yeah, I probably won't implement the capture quotas and classes... The story is pretty in-depth as it is, but it's not too confusing; You're basically a knight/soldier/archer/whatever who happens to live in a world with Pokemon :P You travel the continent, just doing what heroes generally do, thwarting ancient evils etc. - a day in the life! There's also a big backstory about the war that's going on, several minor antagonists, legends surrounding Arceus and the creation trio... It could fail horribly, but who knows? Maybe the accumulation of brain spray that exploded all over my computer could form a cohesive plot :D I'd love for you to check it out when it's up; look for "Pokémon: Aether's Edge" :)

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Hmm... There's such a swarm of new Roleplays in the works... I might hold up on my PokeZombie-ish kind of Roleplay.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Best of all, school is almost over, so by December we'll have a ton of roleplays open and a lot of roleplayers free to roleplay. :D

By then I should have my SSBB roleplay up ^__^

Frazzevous

Impulsive lil' kitty
Years
Spoiler:

Whenever I see/read, Arcana, I swear I automatically link it to Persona... but I guess that isn't the only one that makes use of the concept of Tarot cards 'n' stuff. Anyway, now that I've looked and read a little on Famiglia's wiki page, I must say that I'm definitely interested. :D
Aaand I'd also prefer the first option, since it somehow reminds me of the game that I just mentioned. That, and I get the feeling that it'd be the most fun. :3

Would anyone be interested in a Professor Layton-esque roleplay? I've got a very good idea for one.

I would be. I'm quite fond of that game. :3

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Whenever I see/read, Arcana, I swear I automatically link it to Persona... but I guess that isn't the only one that makes use of the concept of Tarot cards 'n' stuff. Anyway, now that I've looked and read a little on Famiglia's wiki page, I must say that I'm definitely interested. :D
Aaand I'd also prefer the first option, since it somehow reminds me of the game that I just mentioned. That, and I get the feeling that it'd be the most fun. :3

The OOC thread is actually finished now (still needs to be made pretty though!), so it'll be posted soon-ish once I've had a few proof readers c: I'm just hoping people aren't put off but the fact it's from an anime, especially a relatively unknown one, even if you don't have to watch it to take part... Went with the "universal boss" idea though since that's what everyone seems to prefer :D

Khawill

<3
Years
If it is of any importance or convenience to anyone, I am willing to Co-GM any RP.
I have plenty of time to do things such as SUs and reading over posts, also I work from my iPad, phone, and computer (everything is connected as well through a Dropbox/thumb drive) and I am constantly checking the forums. (The reason for my free time is usually because I finish homework in less than an hour at most.) If you need proof, just look at the time between someone interacting with me and my response, at most it is a day to think it over.

I have decent SU writing skills, only one has ever been declined, and I can tell one that is just not going to cut it. I don't necessarily have to do anything other than check SUs and maybe answer questions.

Vato

This Is Our Last Goodbye
Years
Would anyone be interested in a Professor Layton-esque roleplay? I've got a very good idea for one.

How would it work? I understand that the Professor Layton series involves solving lots of puzzles of increasing difficulty. How would you implement these? And about the story?

A Professor Layton RP is something I'm definitely interested in, and it would be interesting to see how you would make it work out :)

Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023

How would it work? I understand that the Professor Layton series involves solving lots of puzzles of increasing difficulty. How would you implement these? And about the story?

A Professor Layton RP is something I'm definitely interested in, and it would be interesting to see how you would make it work out :)
Agreed. It would be interesting to see how it would work. I know puzzles in RPs (I tried them in pandora and I tried them in my twewy RP) don't seem to go very smoothly as people sometimes aren't as bright or are too smart d;

Also, I like to think there a certain... Formula for RPs working that are based off series. You have to think like this; is the series dependant on the one character or could this happen to anyone? In professor laytons case, it's very much dependant on him, as he is the professor! Same with games like zelda or shows like avatar. Story lines specific to one specific person usually have a hard time working as a RP.

Something like Pokemon though, or basically any RPG game, the events are usually a instance of "right place right time".

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
Years
The OOC thread is actually finished now (still needs to be made pretty though!), so it'll be posted soon-ish once I've had a few proof readers c: I'm just hoping people aren't put off but the fact it's from an anime, especially a relatively unknown one, even if you don't have to watch it to take part... Went with the "universal boss" idea though since that's what everyone seems to prefer :D

...I am legitimately excited about this, now. ^^

I don't think that it coming from an anime should pose too much of a problem. It's not like any PC RPers have a high ground to stand on, being part of a forum based on a children's anime/games. XD

I think if the storyline's interesting and set out well enough, and is still very accessible to people who haven't viewed it, then it really shouldn't be a problem. ^^

I'll keep a lookout for the OOC!

OrangeNess

Layton Lover
Years
I know how I'm going to pull it off! Professor Layton will be more of a story guider and I'm going to write riddles for the players to solve. For an example, someone will walk into a room and the door will lock behind them. They have to solve a puzzle to get out. How well would that work?

Flydro

doobz
Years
Kinda threw myself into the Roleplay Corner, but I wanna get acquainted with the RP community here and see what's up. I've been browsing since I first joined and saw that there were some cool stories going on (I really like that zombie roleplay). Forgot to quote the post but I really like the idea of a medieval pokemon RP. Sounds really original to me and it could go really far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back